Rumour, Trade and Free Agent Discussion 2020/21 - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Last one was well past its limit. Here are the last number of posts:

Depends on what you measure as quality. 60% Corsi for a centre is probably something a good GM would want. If you could get 2 firsts on Laine, that's alot of quality, potentially, one of them could turn out better than Laine, and at a cost that keeps the team together. You could have your future goalie, in Primeau, who is higher rated than Birdman. But concentrate on Brook, I only added him because he's local, and we need RD depth going forward. And of Brook, Juulsen, Fleury, it's a toss up who's better.

Mid to late firsts? Not the kind of quality we are talking with Laine. Not even close.

Primeau is rated higher by who?

None of those 3 D are better than the ones we have on the Moose now. You are in the wrong part of the depth charts.

His name says he's an inside source, so he must know what he is talking about. :sarcasm:

The clock doesn't stop Chevy...get busy. Or is the plan to let most of them walk? Interesting times.

Jets RFAs...

Nogier
Suess
Spacek
Niku
Roslovic
Harkins
Appleton

Montreal is not a late first team. Mid first defines their mediocrity. And Laine wouldn't change that. It's a poorly managed team, that spends big money on guys like Alzner and Chiarot. They'd give Laine Matthews type money. Primeau is rated better than Berdin by virtually every scout. 2 NHL games already .931 save %

Here's another way to look at it.

You get your 2c. Problem solved long term. Back to drafting BPA, could be Jarvis or Quinn. You get an extra pick this year. Could be Schneider.

In 2 years you could be looking at

Connor-Scheif-Jarvis/Quinn
Ehlers-Danault-Wheeler
Harkins-Lowry-Roslovic
Vesalainen-Gustafsson-Appleton

Morrissey-Schneider
Samberg-Pionk/De Melo/Hamonic
Heinola-Kovacevic/Gawanke

Hellebuyck
Primeau

That's still a contending team.

And you still would have more draft picks to fill shelves. So you can plug holes with players short term.

Once you stop trading to fill that 2c hole, it's alot easier to build the team. In fact you can start to build assets up to a point where you trade from positions of strength (say Pionk or Berdin). If we keep trying to find guys to fit our star winger power, with a defense that is already depleted, eventually the team will bottom out for lack of having prospects to replace top players. We can disagree, we often do, it's not a big deal to me.

Really only the bottom 4 need to be qualified but I bet we keep Nogier ans Suess in the fold.

These are our only RFA’s this season. What would you do?
Appleton
Harkins
Roslovic
Niku
Suess
Spacek
Nogier

I remember Garret saying that the Jets weren't sure about re-signing Nogier last year, so he's likely to walk, especially with the development of Kovacevic and Gawanke, and Chisholm can play RD, plus Luke Green is still here.

Spacek is done with the Jets. You don't move a player out of your organization unless you think he is hindering it, and that's exactly what happened with him.

Suess I think gets an offer, he might be in contention for a 13th forward.

The other 4 are guaranteed to be tendered, and it will be a much easier year to sign RFA contracts for Chevy, as none are big ticket players.

Jets RFAs...

Nogier - walk
Suess - qualify
Spacek - walk
Niku - qualify
Roslovic - qualify
Harkins - qualify
Appleton - qualify

We're about 4 weeks out from QO deadline, a little early to speculate on if he's letting guys walk. I don't think any QOs have been submitted by any team yet.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
What would it realistically take for the Flames to ship us Monaghan?

Copper, 10th, MP, Roslo and KVes do it or more needed?

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham

I had haggled out a deal with some Flames fans a few weeks ago that finalized with...
Monahan for #10 + Copp + Roslovic
Though there were those who preferred...
Monahan for #10 + Pionk + Roslovic
Either way #10 and Roslovic were mandatory pieces and an almost equal divide between those who wanted a C or D added to it.

Ultimately this is a deal between fans and not GMs so it’s far from binding, but I would easily do either one if it brought Monahan to Winnipeg

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
2 trades,

Morrisey,Lowry,Gustafson,Dahlstrom to Calgary in return for Monahan,Valimaki,Stone.

Poolman,Stanley,Perreault,Berdin to Buffalo for Ristolainen,Jokiharju.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

That is way, way to much for Monahan.

#10 plus Copp or Roslovic would be as high as I'd go, probably. If it's based on picks, then maybe 2021 1st (lottery protected), Roslovic, KVes.

The #10 pick is worth a lot.

Consider that JT Miller cost a B-level goalie prospect, a 3rd round pick, and a conditional 1st (lottery protected - turned out to be a #20 overall). Monahan has higher value than JT Miller did, but not by that much.

In the end, I'm not a huge Monahan fan, I guess. I suppose the Jets could be somewhat radical and go with an all-offense, no defense top-6 and see how it works out. But with a D that isn't top-grade, and a top-6 with scoring forwards that aren't good defensively, shelling out for another one-way top-6 forward doesn't appeal to me that much. I'd prefer Danault over Monahan, all things considered (including acquisition cost and salary).

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
2 trades,

Morrisey,Lowry,Gustafson,Dahlstrom to Calgary in return for Monahan,Valimaki,Stone.

Poolman,Stanley,Perreault,Berdin to Buffalo for Ristolainen,Jokiharju.

ee84d05f5a6d1e19f630aa7e253c1af3.gif

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I still don’t think Danault is the 2C we need.
I like him and would love to have him on our 3rd line, but as a 2C... no.
After all the rentals and other crap around that position, I want an actual, indisputable 2C to get it filled so we can stop worrying about it and focus on other issues.

I agree with this - but, considering the costs of acquisition and contracts, I can see going with the internal solutions. They might not be quite as good (thought they might even be as good), but the difference won't be worth the cost if that is one of our top 3 wingers plus a 7+ mil/yr contract.

Like Danault and Cirelli, Copp is good defensively. Neither of them is considered to be very good offensively. Copp might even match them there. If not, he won't be very far behind. Roslovic won't be as good defensively as any of those 3, but he will be better offensively. Harkins may turn out to be the best option of the bunch. He might be pretty good on both offense and defense. And again, he won't cost anything to acquire and his big contract is still a ways off.

It could be that none of those internal solutions work out. But there is no guarantee on the ones acquired by trade either.

Reactions: RabidOne

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
E.Staal to Buffalo for Marcus Johansson.... idk if Minni would trade with us, but Staal has been good for Minni. Reunites with Skinner in Buf. Wish we could have nabbed him. Still...... WTF Is Minni doing

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Given that Staal who has a similar stat li e as Danault the last few seasons only returned Johansson does anyone really think Danault gets you more then Roslovic?

Reactions: Heldig

None

Feb 22, 2012
E.Staal to Buffalo for Marcus Johansson.... idk if Minni would trade with us, but Staal has been good for Minni. Reunites with Skinner in Buf. Wish we could have nabbed him. Still...... WTF Is Minni doing

I'm guessing that Minnesota still wants to compete with Suter and Parise at the core and didn't want to help a divisional opponent. It's a really strange move from that perspective as well though given that Staal is the better (and cheaper) player in the deal albeit older.

Reactions: surixon

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Given that Staal who has a similar stat li e as Danault the last few seasons only returned Johansson does anyone really think Danault gets you more then Roslovic?

One guy is 35 though But I don't think he returns much for Montreal. I still have doubts that Montreal moves him. It would leave them fairly thin down the middle and he is one of those guys that does a lot of little things for them

Looks like Edmundson cashed in too 4 years at 3.5

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Big difference between Staal and Danault is 8 yrs difference in age.....that’s a big difference tbh. Pretty hard to compare two guys that different in ages.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Let’s start this off with a bang....
Roslovic for Puljujarvi
:laugh: :naughty: :laugh:
Then we can move Laine for a high 1st and a high prospect/ player. Pulju can mop up the 4th line RW and we can move Apples up to top 6 RW!
Maybe offer Laine-KVes-MPerreault to Ott for #5 OA pick and Brady Tkachuk and Bobby Ryan? Get Ott to throw in Nick Paul maybe?

None

Feb 22, 2012
Big difference between Staal and Danault is 8 yrs difference in age.....that’s a big difference tbh. Pretty hard to compare two guys that different in ages.

I guess it depends on the perspective a bit too. You can argue age but at the end of the day they're both UFAs after next season and both produce similarly.

If all you need is a stop-gap then you probably don't care about anything outside of who the better player is and how much he's gonna cost relative to the other option.

At the end of the day Staal is similarly effective and they're both UFAs at the same time, without an extension Danault should hold similar value.

Edit to add: Danault's without a doubt the better player now and for the future, but given what Staal just returned he's probably not going to net the Habs a big haul. They're probably better served keeping him until the deadline and getting the typical deadline rental price of a 1st+prospect.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
I guess it depends on the perspective a bit too. You can argue age but at the end of the day they're both UFAs after next season and both produce similarly.

If all you need is a stop-gap then you probably don't care about anything outside of who the better player is and how much he's gonna cost relative to the other option.

At the end of the day Staal is similarly effective and they're both UFAs at the same time, without an extension Danault should hold similar value.

Edit to add: Danault's without a doubt the better player now and for the future, but given what Staal just returned he's probably not going to net the Habs a big haul. They're probably better served keeping him until the deadline and getting the typical deadline rental price of a 1st+prospect.

I agree he would return late 1st plus a B or C level prospect....Habs fans at times are unrealistic with his expectations on his return

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
One guy is 35 though But I don't think he returns much for Montreal. I still have doubts that Montreal moves him. It would leave them fairly thin down the middle and he is one of those guys that does a lot of little things for them

Looks like Edmundson cashed in too 4 years at 3.5

Hence why I used Roslovic who is a similar player to Johanasson but is younger and is under team control for another 4 years.

That should bridge the age gap imo.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I have no idea what we would have to offer up for him. Brady Skjel got a conditonal 1st rounder. They want a 2C for him and I don't know if Copp+ moves the needle for him

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have no idea what we would have to offer up for him. Brady Skjel got a conditonal 1st rounder. They want a 2C for him and I don't know if Copp+ moves the needle for him

Dumba? I would take him but his play the last year and a half hasn't been super inspiring. Not sure what I'd be willing to give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad