Rumour: Toronto to host 2017 all-star game and an outdoor game at Rogers Centre

londonHK

Feb 27, 2014
It's a joke that they get the All-Star game again and pretty much every event in 2017. Who cares if it's their 100th season. It's also the NHL's 100th season.

Right, because those two things have nothing to do with each other. :shakehead

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
I guess if they're expecting 'big things' then they must have an inside track on Stamkos coming home (a couple of my college friends are close buddies with him and are certain he's coming to Toronto, I'm not convinced). If not, then it'll likely be a year of events where the Maple Leafs miss the playoffs yet again..

Didn't he just say he wanted to re-sign in Tampa asap? Like Kane did in Chicago.

That dream is dead boys.

General Zodd

May 6, 2013
Toronto
Awesome. The rogers center is so much better than most ballparks in terms of the sight lines. I think we can sacrifice aesthetic for efficiency one year. The Big House was great because of this.

What?? I hope you were joking? The sightlines at the RC are terrible! Worst stadium I've ever been in!

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Wait, I thought they ruled out SkyDo......ugh, wait, "Rogers Center", because they didn't want the dome open during the winter? :dunno: :shakehead:

I think BMO is a better option, as it's more intimate and better suited for an outdoor game, but obviously that wouldn't be as profitable with fewer seats.

No getting in the way of Rogers and a big payday, I guess. :laugh:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Rogers will.

Rogers isn't the principal broadcast partner for the Winter Classic, though.

Like it or not, the Winter Classic is NBC's baby. I won't necessarily say that they have the absolute say on who plays in what, but I think that at the very least that they've got a big say in the matter and I doubt that they'd be inclined to give the home event to a market that they don't get ratings from.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
This Habs Leafs outdoor game better be the Winter classic and not some BS Stadium series or even heritage game.

Sick of seeing these lame ass Winter Classic games in the US

Why? I mean, I understand the Winter Classic is a long standing tradition of about 6 years, and the Stadium Series only 2 years. But who cares? It is an outdoor game in a huge venue.

When the Rangers played the Devils at Yankee Stadium, nobody cared that it was "Stadium Series" and not winter classic.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
A Habs-Leafs Winter Classic would do a very good rating in the US. Hockey fans will tune in as they know the history of the teams, the rivalry, and non-hockey fans will tune in for the spectacle.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
The tickets are going to be laughably expensive. Nose bleed tickets? $800 a piece, but just for you, $1550 for the pair buddy, because I like you.

DyerMaker66*

Like it or not, the Winter Classic is NBC's baby. I won't necessarily say that they have the absolute say on who plays in what, but I think that at the very least that they've got a big say in the matter and I doubt that they'd be inclined to give the home event to a market that they don't get ratings from.

Good, now they can make it a Heritage Classic and I can avoid NBC.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

I think you're forgetting the 5 billion dollar TV deal Rogers just signed with the NHL. Bettman loves him some NBC but he will have to give an ear to his other huge broadcast partner.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think you're forgetting the 5 billion dollar TV deal Rogers just signed with the NHL. Bettman loves him some NBC but he will have to give an ear to his other huge broadcast partner.

No doubt, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Heritage Classic became more prominent as a result or if Rogers got a bit more say in playoff broadcasting times, but NBC is still the principal partner for the Winter Classic and just about all the broadcast setup and corporate sponsors for it are through/in partnership with them. Not to mention that the entire event being focused around New Year's was to give them a major event to get ratings on the same days as the major collegiate bowl games, so I'm not seeing the entire focus of that changing.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan

No one is forgetting 5 billion dollars...but NBC calls the shots on the game...not really even the NHL. NBC is the creator of the Winter Classic and their contract with the NFL calls the shots with the date and time. Regardless of who plays, the 2017 WC will probably be played on January 2nd like 2012. Rogers means nothing here. If NBC feels it should be Leafs-Habs it will be. If they think it should be a rematch of last year...it will be

From Wiki

"The game returned to its original daytime time slot, with the Rangers-Flyers game beginning at 3:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (two hours behind its originally scheduled start time of 1:00 p.m.).[1] This marked the first time the Winter Classic was not played on New Year's Day, as it fell on a Sunday; NBC's contract with the National Football League prevents them from airing NHL games (or anything else) on prime time Sunday night, because of NBC Sunday Night Football,[3] and while NBC has an open time slot on Sunday afternoon, the NFL traditionally discourages its broadcast partners from programming high-profile sports events in competition with its own games, a full slate of which the NFL played on the afternoon of Sunday, January 1."

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Winter_Classic

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
Where would the NHL have these events then? Seeing as its the league it can't really choose a city, except maybe MTL where it was founded (but they just had all the events in 09).

Leafs are a model franchise who are worth the most, have the second most history and championships and are the leagues most popular team. MTL got the star treatment in 2009.

What do you mean again? They haven't had it since 2000.

IIRC the habs have the best TV Ratings when you add up the English and French TV Ratings.

Congratulations to Toronto for winning all those championships in a 6 Team league.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
IIRC the habs have the best TV Ratings when you add up the English and French TV Ratings.

Congratulations to Toronto for winning all those championships in a 6 Team league.

Thats irrelevant to my post. I was simply stating how TML are a model franchise, are worth the most, make the most money and have the biggest fan base/are the most popular team. Those are facts.

It wasn't a shot against the Habs or anything, just a shot at some peoples ignorance.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Thanks, that's what I figured. Seems unlikely that NBC is going to benefit from two Canadian teams.

Leafs and Habs have large American followings, i think the ratings would be fine.

I seriously dont get why everyone assumes it would be another WSH-CHI ratings fiasco, you're talking about two hugely popular teams who have a lot of fans south of the border. NBC needs to stop being so ignorant and try an all-Canadian match up, they failed miserably with this year so may as well try something new.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
A Habs-Leafs Winter Classic would do a very good rating in the US. Hockey fans will tune in as they know the history of the teams, the rivalry, and non-hockey fans will tune in for the spectacle.

Ah yes the Toronto - Montreal rivalry, remember all those great playoff series from the 50's, 60's & 70's... yeah me either.

Bluejaysfan*

LOL they still count regardless of when they were won. I don't see anyone discrediting the Celtics for winning almost half their championships when there were only 9-14 teams in the NBA...but oh well, you do you.

DyerMaker66*

Thats irrelevant to my post. I was simply stating how TML are a model franchise, are worth the most, make the most money and have the biggest fan base/are the most popular team. Those are facts.

It wasn't a shot against the Habs or anything, just a shot at some peoples ignorance.

Leafs don't have more fans than the Habs. Their fanbase just isn't split between two languages and they're owned by the nation's two sports channels.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Leafs don't have more fans than the Habs. Their fanbase just isn't split between two languages and they're owned by the nation's two sports channels.

I'd like to agree with this statement as a habs fan, but I' not sure it's true. I think in terms of fans its the leafs by a sizeable margin, and that's without the bandwagonners.
if they go on a hot streak ( there's always next year) I think the chasm widens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad