First round has been terrible, but next round will benefit

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
There's nothing more dramatic than a comeback. We may have a few quick series but if we get a couple epic comebacks it could be more memorable than ever, especially if it is the Leafs.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I agree it has been to this point pretty lacklustre in the excitement depart.

East

1. Nyr vs Wsh - No surprise but perhaps the worst 1st round entertaining series ever. zzzz
2. Car vs NYI - NYI has had an opporunity but failed to convert it. Unless something changes....
3. Bos vs Tor - Toronto just hasn't put up much of a fight and is/was missing a significant weapon.
4. Fla vs Tampa - Surprisingly not as entertaining as anticipated. The games were entertaining, it's just Florida put the series out of reach making the series as a whole underwhelming. Hard to call a 4-1 series entertaining.

West
1. Dal vs Vegas - This one is good and entertaining imo.
2. Col vs Win - Winnipeg threw a good first punch in the first game. Setting it up for a good series. Then took 3 haymakers, not just losing, but losing so poorly there's not much faith in this becoming a series in my eyes.
3. Van vs Nsh - Just seems to be a quiet series. The game with the best drama unfortunately from an entertainment point put the series out of reach for Nsh.
4. Edm vs L.A - 3rd time and both fanbases are sick of it more so than any rivalry thing. L.A has only really been in 2 games of the 4. That being said L.A never quits.. would love to watch them against another team for once.

Now I haven't watched a lot of the games. But I don't think anyone would call any of their series a war etc. Honestly the hockey on a whole has been fast, but there seems to be some physicality or perhaps just pure hate missing in the series?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I agree it has been to this point pretty lacklustre in the excitement depart.

East

1. Nyr vs Wsh - No surprise but perhaps the worst 1st round entertaining series ever. zzzz
2. Car vs NYI - NYI has had an opporunity but failed to convert it. Unless something changes....
3. Bos vs Tor - Toronto just hasn't put up much of a fight and is/was missing a significant weapon.
4. Fla vs Tampa - Surprisingly not as entertaining as anticipated. The games were entertaining, it's just Florida put the series out of reach making the series as a whole underwhelming. Hard to call a 4-1 series entertaining.

West
1. Dal vs Vegas - This one is good and entertaining imo.
2. Col vs Win - Winnipeg threw a good first punch in the first game. Setting it up for a good series. Then took 3 haymakers, not just losing, but losing so poorly there's not much faith in this becoming a series in my eyes.
3. Van vs Nsh - Just seems to be a quiet series. The game with the best drama unfortunately from an entertainment point put the series out of reach for Nsh.
4. Edm vs L.A - 3rd time and both fanbases are sick of it more so than any rivalry thing. L.A has only really been in 2 games of the 4. That being said L.A never quits.. would love to watch them against another team for once.

Now I haven't watched a lot of the games. But I don't think anyone would call any of their series a war etc. Honestly the hockey on a whole has been fast, but there seems to be some physicality or perhaps just pure hate missing in the series?
La Nashville would be a good series.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
I disagree slightly. While the series scores aren’t particularly close, except for the Stars-Knights series, I’ve been plenty entertained by the games I’ve managed to watch.
Exactly!

Sure - a few more rough and tumble games from each series would be nice, but I cannot complain about not being entertained.

It's been fun so far!

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Boston getting spanked by Florida next round is going to be good? As much as I’d love to see it, I think Toronto can force it to G7

Reactions: TheStatican

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
Let me guess. The OPS team either got knocked out or is already in the 2nd round? I have found them very interesting and Dallas/Vegas series is just getting warmed up.

shakes the clown

Jan 11, 2010
Chicago
Let me guess. The OPS team either got knocked out or is already in the 2nd round? I have found them very interesting and Dallas/Vegas series is just getting warmed up.
my team is Chicago so nope. Just a neutral fan looking for some tight series that go the distance and instead finding a bunch of gentlemans' sweeps.

Also I did say that the Vegas/Dallas series is the only one that had promise.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton

The hockey skill is close and the scores have been close. But there's little to no animosity between the teams. Especially considering they just played each other last year. This goes for every series this year that I've noticed.

Myself personally if I'm going to watch a series that's not my teams. I'm watching the series where the teams absolutely despise each other. Maybe those days are gone now.

I loved watching the Pens and Flyers go at it years ago. It was an absolute shit show. Were the scores close? Hell I don't think they were haha. But man those guys hated each other and it was fun to watch.

This year I don't think there's anything remotely close to this going on this year. Edmonton Vs L.A has had a bit of nasty going on in game 3. But the first round used to be war! I want WAR :P

If I had to sum it up.. The first round is the new second round. Where the teams kind of clean up and some of those first round shenanigans go away.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

LeighDx59

Nov 23, 2011
Detroit, MI
I don't think its been terrible, just kinda weird results imo.

As mentioned before, the NSH/VAN could easily be 3-1 Nashville or tied up 2-2, its been a super close series.

Reactions: Kingsfan1

IronCladCane

Apr 15, 2024
Honestly, NYI/Car and Nash/Van are both a 3rd period final few minutes away from being a 2-2 series in games 2 and 4.

Right now, only LV/Dal will get to game 6 which is set for Friday. I do wonder if the remaining series close in 5, does the NHL want to setup a matchup for Saturday or do they leave that day blank and wait for potentially a game 7 for Sunday. Same goes for Sunday if all of the other series are done by Tue/Wed and there's no game 7 on Sunday, do they have a matchup ready to go just regardless to ensure they have something this weekend?
It could have also been over 4-0 woulda coulda shoulda

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
are-you-not-entertained-entertained.gif

People either complain that too many good teams face off in the first round or that its boring and predictable. I think the first round has been fine. The format means the same teams are going to see eachother regularly, which is what the NHL wants for reasons.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
I thought most of the series have been good. Boston/Toronto has been sensational drama and will continue to be so until the series is resolved one way or another. Edmonton vs LA is my own teams series, so I am biased there.

2 teams in the East probably didn't even belong anywhere near the playoffs and they're out. That shouldn't be a huge shock. I thought Tampa would put up more of a fight, but they were good games regardless. Van vs Nashville has been really bizzare and fun to watch. Dallas vs Vegas is just straight up great hockey. Col vs Winnipeg was good but progressively felt like the Jets just didn't have the extra gear they needed.

I have been sports entertained for the most part. By no means the worst playoffs or first round ever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad