Rumour: Toronto to host 2017 all-star game and an outdoor game at Rogers Centre

DyerMaker66*

It's supposed to be completed this year and I think also includes 10,000 in temporary seating to bump the total up to 40,000.

Hamilton also fits 40k. Not that I think it's a good idea.

Bluejaysfan*

Anaheim will never host anything. I figured with the Honda Center renovations and the rumored new scoreboard they'd be up next. Guess not.

Leafs 100th anniversary > Special duck renovation at the Honda Center

DyerMaker66*

Go figure: A guy in a suit wants the stadium to be filled with suits from Toronto.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
This Habs Leafs outdoor game better be the Winter classic and not some BS Stadium series or even heritage game.

Sick of seeing these lame ass Winter Classic games in the US

DyerMaker66*

I'll take the Heritage Classic over the Winter Classic any day of the week.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
tim hortons field can seat 40,000 for special event's

the old stadium was used for leafs vs habs alumni games before.

Yea but an Alumni Game is a lot smaller than the Winter Classic.

This Habs Leafs outdoor game better be the Winter classic and not some BS Stadium series or even heritage game.

Sick of seeing these lame ass Winter Classic games in the US

Agree. If the NHL is going to put on a horrible matchup like Chicago-Washington then they NEED to have the Leafs-Habs as the Winter Classic. TML-DET had the highest TV ratings for a WC, Leafs-Habs would have similar numbers.

I didn't think about that. Let's call it a gripe that we didn't get the 16 ASG.

Your next hope is 2019. This me really hoping the NHL pulls their head out of their ass and goes to the 2018 Olympics.

Blufreezy

May 1, 2013
Why not Pittsburgh? St. Louis? Buffalo? Winnipeg?

Cities that haven't hosted the ASG in the last 15 years.

Because the NHL does this to make money, not satisfy fan bases.

The 2012 WC (only one I looked up) had like 3.74 million viewers.

Toronto Montreal would pull that alone. In Canada.

Even more so if Toronto can become relevant in the next 2 years and rebuild the kindled rivalry.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would be interesting but it being Toronto it might not be all the cold and snowy which of course could be a good thing.

Neely2005

Nov 3, 2006
Toronto, Ontario
They must mean business if they plan on using the Skydome. For years I've heard the hydraulic fluid on the roof couldn't work in cold weather. They must be planning a retrofitting.

They've been saying for years that the Rogers Centre roof can't be opened in the winter. One of the reasons is that if the roof is opened and ice forms on the track they won't be able to close the roof.

The Rogers Centre is an indoor stadium with a roof that can open, it's not designed to withstand the rain, snow and cold of an open roof.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Why not Pittsburgh? St. Louis? Buffalo? Winnipeg?

Cities that haven't hosted the ASG in the last 15 years.

TOR hasn't hosted the game since 2000, so that will be 17 years by the time 2017 comes around.

Winnipeg also just got their team back a few seasons ago so its going to be a while before they host an ASG.

They've been saying for years that the Rogers Centre roof can't be opened in the winter. One of the reasons is that if the roof is opened and ice forms on the track they won't be able to close the roof.

The Rogers Centre is an indoor stadium with a roof that can open, it's not designed to withstand the rain, snow and cold of an open roof.

I'm willing to bet they will be improving the Skydome. They can make improvements and upgrades so that won't happen.

MikeModano9

Oct 27, 2011
Tallahassee
26 years since Edmonton's hosted an Allstar game. New arena being finished in 2016. I'm hoping the league at least tries to get one in here by 2020. That's gonna be a good year in Toronto for events.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
It's a joke that they get the All-Star game again and pretty much every event in 2017. Who cares if it's their 100th season. It's also the NHL's 100th season.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
I didn't think about that. Let's call it a gripe that we didn't get the 16 ASG.

When the Ducks suck again, I bet they'll get the ASG.

Nashville has it for 2016 which is their first time.

I would guess that 2018 goes to Arizona though.

It's a joke that they get the All-Star game again and pretty much every event in 2017. Who cares if it's their 100th season. It's also the NHL's 100th season.

The 2016-17 season is the NHL's 100th. NHL's 100th year of existence as a body is 2017.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad