Rumour: Toronto to host 2017 all-star game and an outdoor game at Rogers Centre

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
Thats irrelevant to my post. I was simply stating how TML are a model franchise, are worth the most, make the most money and have the biggest fan base/are the most popular team. Those are facts.

It wasn't a shot against the Habs or anything, just a shot at some peoples ignorance.

I'm a Knicks fan (and a STH)...our team is worth the most, makes the most...by your definition our we a model franchise? Because I think my Knicks are an absolute embarrassment, a punchline in most jokes and only hold value because we are The NEW YORK Knicks....sound familiar to you?

Bluejaysfan*

Ah yes the Toronto - Montreal rivalry, remember all those great playoff series from the 50's, 60's & 70's... yeah me either.

The Wings-Leafs rivalry wasn't exactly boiling at the Winter Classic, yet it still drew the largest audience for a WC in North America.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
LOL they still count regardless of when they were won. I don't see anyone discrediting the Celtics for winning almost half their championships when there were only 9-14 teams in the NBA...but oh well, you do you.

That's because the Celtics have played and won a title this century

Bluejaysfan*

Ah yes the Toronto - Montreal rivalry, remember all those great playoff series from the 50's, 60's & 70's... yeah me either.

That's because the Celtics have played and won a title this century

So if they hadn't, their previous championships wouldn't have counted?

:laugh:

the Leafs are on the Stanley Cup as winners 13 times and that is a fact, if it was so easy to win a cup when there were only 6 teams, why did the Rangers only win 3 Cups during the O6 era?

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
The Wings-Leafs rivalry wasn't exactly boiling at the Winter Classic, yet it still drew the largest audience for a WC in North America.

Cool and if NBC decides that this will best for US TV they will play. But the Habs will then play in back to back WCs on a US created TV event against a team that could be rebuilding on the 50th anniversary of their last Championship?

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
So if they hadn't, their previous championships wouldn't have counted?

:laugh:

the Leafs are on the Stanley Cup as winners 13 times and that is a fact, if it was so easy to win a cup when there were only 6 teams, why did the Rangers only win 3 Cups during the O6 era?

But no one cares? Just like no one cares how many World Series titles the Yankees won a century ago...what's signicant is that they have added on to them in the last 50 years!

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan

No it wasn't...but the Leafs were thought to be a good hockey team, coming off an awesome playoff series against the Bruins, playing in the Big House in front of 100k plus fans, against the most successful US American team...

Bluejaysfan*

But no one cares? Just like no one cares how many World Series titles a century ago...what's signicant is that they have added on to them in the last 50 years!

Oh really? People care about teams that have history regardless of their championship droughts...

The Cubs have always been one of the most followed teams in MLB despite not winning in 100 years.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
Oh really? People care about teams that have history regardless of their championship droughts...

The Cubs have always been one of the most followed teams in MLB despite not winning in 100 years.

Yes really!!! No one cares that the Leafs won 13 cups before your Grandfather was born. It doesn't mean people don't care about the Leafs. But raving about Championships that were won before the leagues first expansion is an embarrassment! The Leafs have not played for a cup in 48 years!!! 48

PS....Cubs fans...don't behave like you and I honestly don't see to many Leaf fans that brag about these Cups either

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Cool and if NBC decides that this will best for US TV they will play. But the Habs will then play in back to back WCs on a US created TV event against a team that could be rebuilding on the 50th anniversary of their last Championship?

wasnt the idea of playing outside and having it count for a regular season game the heritage classic (habs oilers). if so how is that a US created event ?

The difference is the name (sponsors) and the date Jan1. and the title says they get an outdoor game, if its against the habs its likely to be a heritage classic not the winter classic so the habs wont be getting two WC's in a row.

And if you are going to give the WC to boston, you pretty much have to pick the habs, or at least you should.

DyerMaker66*

I'd like to agree with this statement as a habs fan, but I' not sure it's true. I think in terms of fans its the leafs by a sizeable margin, and that's without the bandwagonners.
if they go on a hot streak ( there's always next year) I think the chasm widens.

Do the Leafs even register outside of Toronto (in a positive way)? I've never seen a Leafs jersey outside of this area but I've seen plenty of other teams. I'd wager don't even make up the majority of fans in my city. Depending on the age bracket: 1) Bruins/Wings 2) Leafs/Habs.

DyerMaker66*

Yes really!!! No one cares that the Leafs won 13 cups before your Grandfather was born. It doesn't mean people don't care about the Leafs. But raving about Championships that were won before the leagues first expansion is an embarrassment! The Leafs have not played for a cup in 48 years!!! 48

PS....Cubs fans...don't behave like you

Save your energy. We all know that God's gift to hockey is the team with dysfunctional management, terrible on ice record and a stadium that's filled but has no fans in it.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
wasnt the idea of playing outside and having it count for a regular season game the heritage classic (habs oilers). if so how is that a US created event ?

The difference is the name (sponsors) and the date Jan1. and the title says they get an outdoor game, if its against the habs its likely to be a heritage classic not the winter classic so the habs wont be getting two WC's in a row.

And if you are going to give the WC to boston, you pretty much have to pick the habs, or at least you should.

Wiki

"The Winter Classic as a television event was presented by NBC Sports Executive VP Jon Miller. He pitched the idea to the NHL in 2004 "but they didn't find the concept workable."[2] In December 2006, Miller found an ally in then Executive VP/Business & Media John Collins, who embraced the idea.[3][4] The first Winter Classic was held January 1, 2008,"

The date is actually controlled by NBCs contract with the NFL. It is only Jan 1 if Jan 1 is not on a Sunday....like the 2012 WC which was moved to Jan 2

I agree...they should get the Heritage Classic...but for some reason, there are fans on this board that seem to think that a US marketing gimmick seems to hold some level of prestige over the other 2 outdoor games...

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Do the Leafs even register outside of Toronto (in a positive way)? I've never seen a Leafs jersey outside of this area but I've seen plenty of other teams. I'd wager don't even make up the majority of fans in my city. Depending on the age bracket: 1) Bruins/Wings 2) Leafs/Habs.

yes they do, specifically for people who grew up in toronto, got infected, then left for other economic opportunities.

its easy and fun to dump on the leafs, but when it comes to fan bases they are huge indepedent of who good or bad they are on the ice. Because of the current trajectory you might not see guys rocking the full leafs regallia, but they go on a tear and you will see them coming out of the woodwork.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Wiki

"The Winter Classic as a television event was presented by NBC Sports Executive VP Jon Miller. He pitched the idea to the NHL in 2004 "but they didn't find the concept workable."[2] In December 2006, Miller found an ally in then Executive VP/Business & Media John Collins, who embraced the idea.[3][4] The first Winter Classic was held January 1, 2008,"

The date is actually controlled by NBCs contract with the NFL. It is only Jan 1 if Jan 1 is not on a Sunday....like the 2012 WC which was moved to Jan 2

so he pitched the idea of having a regualt season NHL game outdoors that counts in the standing to Nbc brass a year after the habs and oilers played in one. what a freaking visionary!

people might like to think that the WC was the original, its not. The WC seems to want to ignore the heritage classic, i suspect largely because it came first and its bent on canadian teams. they have done a good job of hyping the WC so that its status IS bigger than the HC's but I could live without the revisionist nonsense.

can i propose that the afc and nfc winners play each other and get credit if I call it the buper bowl ?

Bluejaysfan*

Yes...Buffalo, Ottawa, the Sun belt NHL teams, Detroit, any other Canadian franchise.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
so he pitched the idea of having a regualt season NHL game outdoors that counts in the standing to Nbc brass a year after the habs and oilers played in one. what a freaking visionary!

people might like to think that the WC was the original, its not. The WC seems to want to ignore the heritage classic, i suspect largely because it came first and its bent on canadian teams. they have done a good job of hyping the WC so that its status IS bigger than the HC's but I could live without the revisionist nonsense.

can i propose that the afc and nfc winners play each other and get credit if I call it the buper bowl ?

You understand my point. We all know about the 2003 game. But the event The Bridgestone Winter Classic is a US created event...just like people who think Apple created the touchscreen smartphone

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Toronto doesn't deserve any of that ****, it's a ****ing embarrassment of a franchise, especially the year in which they'll celebrate their 50 cupless years.

teleman

Dec 26, 2006
Toronto doesn't deserve any of that ****, it's a ****ing embarrassment of a franchise, especially the year in which they'll celebrate their 50 cupless years.

Maybe you can have Eugene start an investigation into it.
And then he can look into this Heritage Classic vs Winter Classic debate.

It's for the fans and 100 years is a milestone(the 50 is a millstone) Why not let the fans have something to enjoy?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
You understand my point. We all know about the 2003 game. But the event The Bridgestone Winter Classic is a US created event...just like people who think Apple created the touchscreen smartphone

apple brings other things, aside from the sponsor and the date, its the EXACT SAME THING.

if Bridgestone stops selling the required number of tires and decides to no longer be the primary sponsor, will the new sponsors call it the "frozen showdown" and the clock starts anew ?

Again, proposing something that happened without YOUR oversight or influence, after its already happened does not make it a US designed event. It might be a US rebadged event but those two things ARE different.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

It is not to do with how well they're doing. It is to celebrate 100 years of the Leafs.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

I've lived in three major Canadian cities outside Ontario and come across a fair amount of leafs apparel randomly in the streets.

I also believe they are the largest visiting team attendance draw in the league. Never underestimate the size of Ontario expats.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
yes they do, specifically for people who grew up in toronto, got infected, then left for other economic opportunities.

its easy and fun to dump on the leafs, but when it comes to fan bases they are huge indepedent of who good or bad they are on the ice. Because of the current trajectory you might not see guys rocking the full leafs regallia, but they go on a tear and you will see them coming out of the woodwork.

I agree they do resonate. If they ever go back to winning rounds in the playoffs, they'll
all come out.

I also think quite a few fans, may never have set foot in Toronto.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
apple brings other things, aside from the sponsor and the date, its the EXACT SAME THING.

if Bridgestone stops selling the required number of tires and decides to no longer be the primary sponsor, will the new sponsors call it the "frozen showdown" and the clock starts anew ?

Again, proposing something that happened without YOUR oversight or influence, after its already happened does not make it a US designed event. It might be a US rebadged event but those two things ARE different.

Maybe I didn't get my point across properly....but I completely agree with you...lol

My point is...we all know the Heritage cLassic was first...but the event "The Winter Classic" is an NBC created marketing ploy designed by NBC after Jon Miller saw the Heritage Classic and saw it as an opportunity to sell the NHL to US sport fans. But the "Winter Classic" is an NBC created event...this is not arguable....this is a fact! It's a production, not a historical event

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad