Rumour: Toronto to host 2017 all-star game and an outdoor game at Rogers Centre

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
They should just make it so every NHL team just plays in Toronto in Maple Leafs jerseys

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Montreal gets all the vents for their centennial nobody says ****..... Toronto gets it and its such a big deal all of a sudden.
I agree and since the NHL had already set the precedent when Montreal got everything they asked for, so the Leafs wanting the same thing is a reasonable request.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
The Silver Seven was their nickname, due to the team having 7 players and being the first dynasty (silver cup). Do your research, the team was always called the Ottawa Senators, and it's obviously not the same franchise considering they showed up 60 years later. The cups are still Ottawa Senators cups, and there just happens to be a team called the Senators located in Ottawa.

They have nothing to do with todays Sens, Those banners shouldn't be up because they werent won by the current team. You may as well have the Maroons banners in the Bell Centre if you're going to claim championships won by a different franchise.

Technically the Rangers can not host a Winter Classic because of a tax break rule they get which says all their home games must be played at Madison Square Garden. That's the reason why they were the visiting team during the Stadium Series games they played at Yankee Stadium against the Devils and Islanders.

That really sucks for them. I thought there was something like the tax break rule but needed clarification. They should lobby for one freaking game to not be held there so they an host a WC.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
They have nothing to do with todays Sens, Those banners shouldn't be up because they werent won by the current team. You may as well have the Maroons banners in the Bell Centre if you're going to claim championships won by a different franchise.

That really sucks for them. I thought there was something like the tax break rule but needed clarification. They should lobby for one freaking game to not be held there so they an host a WC.

The Rangers tax break is around 20 million dollars a year from NYC...there is no hockey game that will make them that kinda of cash. The rule is simple...their home games have to be in MSG.

Last edited:

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
There are a few things some people seems to forget.

1) During the 2016-2017 season is when Winnipeg is set to host the Heritage Classic because it got pushed back one season. So is the NHL willing to host the same event twice, I don't think so for this reason. They have not been willing to do that unlike they have for the Stadium Series games which so far have only included teams based in the United States. Next season there are two Stadium Series games scheduled in Colorado and Minnesota, plus last season they had a total of three of them.

2) So far all the teams who previously played in the Winter Classic as the visitors eventually went onto to host it. The only team who can't host it due to these tax break rules is the New York Rangers. So how can NBC tell the Leafs sorry you can't host one when that precedent has already bee established?

3) Once again using the NBC angle and it being their event and them not wanting Toronto playing in the Winter Classic against Montreal, personally I don't care who the Leafs opponent would be. I just want to see them host a Winter Classic that they rightfully deserve. Also I don't just see it as an NBC event. It's just as much as a Rogers event and as of today they are paying more for the national broadcast rights in Canada, compared to the current NBC deal in the United States. I'm also willing to bet come their next TV deal, NBC won't pay as much compared to what Rogers is paying for 12 years.

I don't think you understand...The Winter Classic is an NBC event....this is not a matter of opinion....Rogers has ZERO say!! The NFL has more power over the Winter Classic than Rogers! The "Winter Classic" was created by NBC executive Jon Miller, it was his idea after seeing the heritage classic. He orginally tried to pitch the event in 2004. The whole purpose of the event was to create an event that would hook the American public. The 2012 winter classic was pushed to a Monday afternoon on Jan the 2nd...why...because of NBCs contract with the NFL...

Wiki
"The game returned to its original daytime time slot, with the Rangers-Flyers game beginning at 3:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (two hours behind its originally scheduled start time of 1:00 p.m.).[1] This marked the first time the Winter Classic was not played on New Year's Day, as it fell on a Sunday; NBC's contract with the National Football League prevents them from airing NHL games (or anything else) on prime time Sunday night, because of NBC Sunday Night Football,[3] and while NBC has an open time slot on Sunday afternoon, the NFL traditionally discourages its broadcast partners from programming high-profile sports events in competition with its own games, a full slate of which the NFL played on the afternoon of Sunday, January 1."

I don't know who will play in the 2017 winter classic....but NBC and the NHL will decide....and those teams will play on Monday January the 2nd during the afternoon....because new years that season falls on a Sunday

Ps...I don't understand this obsession with the Leafs hosting the Winter Classic...The Heritige Classic is the original....The Winter Classic is nothing more than a marketing gimmick for NBC to sell hockey to mainstream America.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think you understand...The Winter Classic is an NBC event....this is not a matter of opinion....Rogers has ZERO say!! The NFL has more power over the Winter Classic than Rogers! The "Winter Classic" was created by NBC executive Jon Miller, it was his idea after seeing the heritage classic. He orginally tried to pitch the event in 2004. The whole purpose of the event was to create an event that would hook the American public. The 2012 winter classic was pushed to a Monday afternoon on Jan the 2nd...why...because of NBCs contract with the NFL...

Wiki
"The game returned to its original daytime time slot, with the Rangers-Flyers game beginning at 3:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (two hours behind its originally scheduled start time of 1:00 p.m.).[1] This marked the first time the Winter Classic was not played on New Year's Day, as it fell on a Sunday; NBC's contract with the National Football League prevents them from airing NHL games (or anything else) on prime time Sunday night, because of NBC Sunday Night Football,[3] and while NBC has an open time slot on Sunday afternoon, the NFL traditionally discourages its broadcast partners from programming high-profile sports events in competition with its own games, a full slate of which the NFL played on the afternoon of Sunday, January 1."

I don't know who will play in the 2017 winter classic....but NBC and the NHL will decide....and those teams will play on Monday January the 2nd during the afternoon....because new years that season falls on a Sunday

Ps...I don't understand this obsession with the Leafs hosting the Winter Classic...The Heritige Classic is the original....The Winter Classic is nothing more than a marketing gimmick for NBC to sell hockey to mainstream America.
I will say it again.

The Winnipeg Jets are hosting the Heritage during the 2016-2017 season and I can't see the NHL having a second one that season with the Leafs hosting it, because unlike the Stadium Series games they have yet to do that.

Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Washington who first played in a Winter Classic as the visiting team eventually went onto to host a Winter Classic. So Toronto hosting one would be keeping that up. The fact that it's their 100th anniversary season in 2016-2017 is a bonus factor and it's a reason why they want it and it was mentioned the day before they played Detroit.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/winter-classic-could-be-coming-to-toronto/

Since you say NBC has the say on which teams play in a Winter Classic (something I highly doubt and seen no proof of) why did they agree to let the Leafs play in it against the Red Wings?

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
I will say it again.

The Winnipeg Jets are hosting the Heritage during the 2016-2017 season and I can't see the NHL having a second one that season with the Leafs hosting it, because unlike the Stadium Series games they have yet to do that.

Pittsburgh, Detroit, and Washington who first played in a Winter Classic as the visiting team eventually went onto to host a Winter Classic. So Toronto hosting one would be keeping that up. The fact that it's their 100th anniversary season in 2016-2017 is a bonus factor and it's a reason why they want it and it was mentioned the day before they played Detroit.
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/24-7/winter-classic-could-be-coming-to-toronto/

Since you say NBC has the say on which teams play in a Winter Classic (something I highly doubt and seen no proof of) why did they agree to let the Leafs play in it against the Red Wings?

1. The Jets would have hosted the Heritige Classic next season, it didn't happen...it's a shame it didn't....we have no clue what will happen the following year. It could be Toronto

2. Yes that's true...Pens, Wings and Caps all played in and then hosted Winter Classics...but they are also American teams, that played on American soil for an event created by an American Network. American Host could be what needs to be kept up by an American network...

3.it really doesn't matter what you think...what you doubt...what you need proof of....The Winter Classic is an event created by Jon Miller for NBC in 2004...THIS IS A FACT!!! I don't think you understand what a fact is! The games date and time is governed by NBCs contract with the NFL!!!!!

4. The reason the Leafs played the Wings in Detroit at the Big House was because it was a friggin spectacle!!! They needed to sell 100k plus tickets and the Leafs were thought to be a good team at the time..playing the most successful American NHL franchise in history. It's called good TV.

You sent a link that is over a year old

I'm not saying the Leafs will not get the Winter Classic....I'm saying they will not get it if NBC doesn't want them to Host it. I also can't imagine the Habs being in the Winter classic 2 years in a row. I also can't think that NBC would find it good TV to have to The Habs-Leafs on the 50th anniversary of Leafs last cup.

I also don't understand why you think that the Winter Classic is some sort of validation or holds some extra prestige...It's literally an NBC created marketing gimmick

Last edited:

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I'm not saying the Leafs will not get the Winter Classic....I'm saying they will not get it if NBC doesn't want them to Host it. I also can't imagine the Habs being in the Winter classic 2 years in a row. I also can't think that NBC would find it good TV to have to The Habs-Leafs on the 50th anniversary of Leafs last cup.

*ahem*
Leafs Centennial please. Since that is what is being commemorated.

Personally I don't want the Habs there myself.
Not a hate issue, just they've been in mostly everything already.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
*ahem*
Leafs Centennial please. Since that is what is being commemorated.

Personally I don't want the Habs there myself.
Not a hate issue, just they've been in mostly everything already.

I don't care if it's the Leafs Centennial....let's be honest...it could be there 30th...it doesn't matter! The game will be a madhouse...I would want to be there....I would probably go. It would be nuts...doesn't really matter who the road team is either

My issue is with the poster not understanding NBCs role...that's it...

It's NBCs event....they have to sell it to mainstream America and the game will be held on Monday January 2nd...during the afternoon. I feel like it has to be at least one American team for them to sell it

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
1. The Jets would have hosted the Heritige Classic next season, it didn't happen...it's a shame it didn't....we have no clue what will happen the following year. It could be Toronto

2. Yes that's true...Pens, Wings and Caps all played in and then hosted Winter Classics...but they are also American teams, that played on American soil for an event created by an American Network. American Host could be what needs to be kept up by an American network...

3.it really doesn't matter what you think...what you doubt...what you need proof of....The Winter Classic is an event created by Jon Miller for NBC in 2004...THIS IS A FACT!!! I don't think you understand what a fact is! The games date and time is governed by NBCs contract with the NFL!!!!!

4. The reason the Leafs played the Wings in Detroit at the Big House was because it was a friggin spectacle!!! They needed to sell 100k plus tickets and the Leafs were thought to be a good team at the time..playing the most successful American NHL franchise in history. It's called good TV.

You sent a link that is over a year old

I also don't understand why you think that the Winter Classic is some sort of validation or holds some extra prestige...It's literally an NBC created marketing gimmick
It was already mentioned about Winnipeg hosting the Heritage Classic in 2017, assuming they can work out a date and if that happens I guarantee you Toronto won't be hosting it.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...lassic-game-could-be-postponed-289193531.html

Now if the NHL was smart you think they would tell NBC they are only going to be the 2nd franchise to play 100 years and they are the biggest market in Canada with a very passionate fan base that travels to a lot of their games in various cities in the United States.

The fact that they already played in a Winter Classic only strengthens their reasoning for wanting to host one since all previous road teams went onto to do that.

Now I will say again I don't care if they have one against Montreal, I just want to see the Leafs host a Winter Classic because they deserve it and I'm willing to bet a lot of people would rather see them before seeing Pittsburgh, Chicago or Philadelphia play in another one.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
It was already mentioned about Winnipeg hosting the Heritage Classic in 2017, assuming they can work out a date and if that happens I guarantee you Toronto won't be hosting it.
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sp...lassic-game-could-be-postponed-289193531.html

Now if the NHL was smart you think they would tell NBC they are only going to be the 2nd franchise to play 100 years and they are the biggest market in Canada with a very passionate fan base that travels to a lot of their games in various cities in the United States.

The fact that they already played in a Winter Classic only strengthens their reasoning for wanting to host one since all previous road teams went onto to do that.

Now I will say again I don't care if they have one against Montreal, I just want to see the Leafs host a Winter Classic because they deserve it and I'm willing to bet a lot of people would rather see them before seeing Pittsburgh, Chicago or Philadelphia play in another one.

1. During the All Star game GB gave no guarantee when The Jets would get their game, just that they should have had it next year and will get one in the future

2. NBC is not smart...have you seen the clowns they have hired? The Leafs playing for 100 years means nothing to the audience they are trying to reach. NBC already has us, they are trying to get people in the States to watch hockey that normally wouldn't.

3. See above

4. I'm pretty sure after this Winter Classic most of us would rather watch the AHL All Star game outdoors in Hawaii on top of a volcano...I just don't understand this whole..."Leafs deserve a Winter Classic" from you. I guess it means something different to you. Toronto deserves an outdoor game...sure. But to me..."The Winter Classic" is just marketing and really is no more important than the Heritige Classic...at least the Heritige Classic was first...the Stadium Series...that to me is garbage

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
1. During the All Star game GB gave no guarantee when The Jets would get their game, just that they should have had it next year and will get one in the future

2. NBC is not smart...have you seen the clowns they have hired? The Leafs playing for 100 years means nothing to the audience they are trying to reach. NBC already has us, they are trying to get people in the States to watch hockey that normally wouldn't.

3. See above

4. I'm pretty sure after this Winter Classic most of us would rather watch the AHL All Star game outdoors in Hawaii on top of a volcano...I just don't understand this whole..."Leafs deserve a Winter Classic" from you. I guess it means something different to you. Toronto deserves an outdoor game...sure. But to me..."The Winter Classic" is just marketing and really is no more important than the Heritige Classic...at least the Heritige Classic was first...the Stadium Series...that to me is garbage
The NHL and Bettman said Winnipeg should host the Heritage Classic during the 2016-2017 season. That's the same season as the Leafs 100th anniversary and I can't see the NHL having two Heritage Classic being played in the same season, since they have yet to do that compared to having multiple Stadium Series games.

The Leafs have been wanting to host a Winter Classic for a long time because it's their 100th anniversary season and frankly they deserve it. I will also say again the fact that they already played in one only strengthens the reasoning to let them host it.

Do you honestly believe the Winter Classic will suffer if god for bid the Leafs host it? If they play a NHL team based in the United States what will be the problem? I would even welcome a rematch against Detroit and NBC can market it as the Winter Classic rubber match, this time it's played in Toronto. So like I said before I couldn't care less if Montreal won't be their opponent.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
The NHL and Bettman said Winnipeg should host the Heritage Classic during the 2016-2017 season. That's the same season as the Leafs 100th anniversary and I can't see the NHL having two Heritage Classic being played in the same season, since they have yet to do that compared to having multiple Stadium Series games.

Gary Bettman did not say the Jets are getting the Heritige Classic in 2017! He specifically said he is hopeful that they would be able to resolve their stadium issues so they could host an Outdoor game in 2017

The Leafs have been wanting to host a Winter Classic for a long time because it's their 100th anniversary season and frankly they deserve it. I will also say again the fact that they already played in one only strengthens the reasoning to let them host it.

Do you honestly believe the Winter Classic will suffer if god for bid the Leafs host it? If they play a NHL team based in the United States what will be the problem? I would even welcome a rematch against Detroit and NBC can market it as the Winter Classic rubber match, this time it's played in Toronto. So like I said before I couldn't care less if Montreal won't be their opponent.

I don't think the Leafs 100th should have anything to do with the Leafs getting a game....I think the Leafs should have already had an outdoor game...it's friggin Toronto...there is no need for an excuse! I don't think them being in a Winter Classic in the past means anything, other than they were already in a Winter Classic.

I don't think the Winter Classic will suffer if it's in Toronto, but I think it needs to have at least one US team to sell to mainstream America. I also don't think selling the 100th Aniversary of a team north of the border, that hasn't won anything in 50 years and might be in the middle of a rebuild would be that appealing to the non traditional hockey fans NBC is trying to attract. Also...once again...this game will be the day after New Years.

I also don't understand what exactly you think the Winter Classic is....You seem to hold it in some kind of high regard...as if it's the Stanley Cup?

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think the Leafs 100th should have anything to do with the Leafs getting a game....I think the Leafs should have already had an outdoor game...it's friggin Toronto...there is no need for an excuse! I don't think them being in a Winter Classic in the past means anything, other than they were already in a Winter Classic.

I don't think the Winter Classic will suffer if it's in Toronto, but I think it needs to have at least one US team to sell to mainstream America. I also don't think selling the 100th Aniversary of a team north of the border, that hasn't won anything in 50 years and might be in the middle of a rebuild would be that appealing to the non traditional hockey fans NBC is trying to attract.

I also don't understand what exactly you think the Winter Classic is....You seem to hold it in some kind of high regard...as if it's the Stanley Cup?
I agree that the Leafs should have already been in an outdoor game. However what you forget is that after the first Heritage Classic in 2003 there was not a second one until 2011 and I think Bettman had that because fans in Canada were complaining about the Winter Classic only involving American teams. As for the third one in 2014 I think the NHL did it as a favour because the Winter Classic and the three Stadium Series games were all hosted in the United States, so this way our country wouldn't be left out. Truth be told I didn't think the 2014 Heritage Classic got very much promotion from the NHL compared to the first three Stadium Series games last season.

The Leafs want an outdoor game and more specifically a Winter Classic to have it tie into their 100th anniversary season.

The fact that they already played in one as the visiting team and that all previous visiting teams went onto to host them is a bonus and something the NHL needs to let NBC know about. So I keep brining that up because in my opinion it's a valid reason.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
I agree that the Leafs should have already been in an outdoor game. However what you forget is that after the first Heritage Classic in 2003 there was not a second one until 2011 and I think Bettman had that because fans in Canada were complaining about the Winter Classic only involving American teams. As for the third one in 2014 I think the NHL did it as a favour because the Winter Classic and the three Stadium Series games were all hosted in the United States, so this way our country wouldn't be left out. Truth be told I didn't think the 2014 Heritage Classic got very much promotion from the NHL compared to the first three Stadium Series games last season.

The Leafs want an outdoor game and more specifically a Winter Classic to have it tie into their 100th anniversary season.

The fact that they already played in one as the visiting team and that all previous visiting teams went onto to host them is a bonus and something the NHL needs to let NBC know about. So I keep brining that up because in my opinion it's a valid reason.

Just read this....talks about the Jets, Sens and Leafs possible outdoor future

I personally think it's going to be a Leafs-Sens HC in Toronto

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/01/24/we-owe-winnipeg-a-game-bettman-talks-winter-classic

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Just read this....talks about the Jets, Sens and Leafs possible outdoor future

I personally think it's going to be a Leafs-Sens HC in Toronto

http://www.winnipegsun.com/2015/01/24/we-owe-winnipeg-a-game-bettman-talks-winter-classic
In my personal opinion I think it's Winnipeg who hosts the Heritage Classic for the 2016-2017 season because they were originally promised it for next season and their 5th anniversary. Assuming that doesn't happen I still think the Leafs would prefer a Winter Classic over the Heritage Classic because they have talked about wanting it and they shouldn't have to play in a different outdoor game before hosting a Winter Classic and here is an example about that.

I'm not sure if you heard what Craig Leipold had said about wanting a Winter Classic for the Wild and not wanting to host a Stadium Series game or playing in the 2015 Winter Classic as the visiting team since they were asked first before Chicago. He thought the Wild deserved to host the Winter Classic and had to be talked into first hosting a Stadium Series game before that could happen.

So do you honestly think the Wild deserve to host a Winter Classic before the Leafs? Also just because they are an American based team can not be the only reason.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
In my personal opinion I think it's Winnipeg who hosts the Heritage Classic for the 2016-2017 season because they were originally promised it for next season and their 5th anniversary. Assuming that doesn't happen I still think the Leafs would prefer a Winter Classic over the Heritage Classic because they have talked about wanting it and they shouldn't have to play in a different outdoor game before hosting a Winter Classic and here is an example about that.

I'm not sure if you heard what Craig Leipold had said about wanting a Winter Classic for the Wild and not wanting to host a Stadium Series game or playing in the 2015 Winter Classic as the visiting team since they were asked first before Chicago. He thought the Wild deserved to host the Winter Classic and had to be talked into first hosting a Stadium Series game before that could happen.

So do you honestly think the Wild deserve to host a Winter Classic before the Leafs? Also just because they are an American based team can not be the only reason.

I'm done here...we are just going around in circles. You seem to think that the Winter Classic is some honor because of the way its marketed. I don't think ANYONE deserves to host a Winter Classic. I think it is an event set up by NBC to try to sell the NHL to the American mainstream sports fan. It is an event set to promote Hockey when there is no other competition in AMERICA....thats why the event is moved when it has conflict with the NFL. IT IS UP TO NBC AS A BUSINESS TO DECIDE WHAT IS GOOD FOR THEM TO MARKET IT ON THE NATIONAL STAGE! If its the Leafs so be it....

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I'm done here...we are just going around in circles. You seem to think that the Winter Classic is some honor because of the way its marketed. I don't think ANYONE deserves to host a Winter Classic. I think it is an event set up by NBC to try to sell the NHL to the American mainstream sports fan. It is an event set to promote Hockey when there is no other competition in AMERICA....thats why the event is moved when it has conflict with the NFL. IT IS UP TO NBC AS A BUSINESS TO DECIDE WHAT IS GOOD FOR THEM TO MARKET IT ON THE NATIONAL STAGE! If its the Leafs so be it....
The NHL can still be promoted if a Winter Classic was held in Toronto. After all people in the United States can still watch it on TV if they don't feel like seeing the game in person. Last time I checked the game was still played the same way in Canada and the United States.

Finally if NBC never wanted a Canadian team to be in a Winter Classic they would have never agreed to put the Leafs in it against the Red Wings and have Montreal play in it next season against Boston.

Not4u

Dec 2, 2013
Manhattan
The NHL can still be promoted if a Winter Classic was held in Toronto. After all people in the United States can still watch it on TV if they don't feel like seeing the game in person. Last time I checked the game was still played the same way in Canada and the United States.

Finally if NBC never wanted a Canadian team to be in a Winter Classic they would have never agreed to put the Leafs in it against the Red Wings and have Montreal play in it next season against Boston.

YOU ARE WRONG!!! They have no problem with a Canadian team in it!!! You just are not getting it!! You have some kind of sick obsession with the Winter Classic! Hockey is seen on the national stage all over Canada. This is really the only event of its kind in the US. That's why it's more important to the Wild than an SS game. It gives their team national exposure with less competition. An SS game is on cable, the WC is on free broadcast TV.

Winter classic is about Great American Venues and historic teams...they are trying to sell to America....Fenway...wrigley...they are packaging hockey in other sports venues to create an event. That's why this year was awful.

It's not that people can or can't watch the winter classic if it's in Canada...it's more about....why would someone who doesn't normally watch the sport, watch the Leafs playing at the Rogers Center on January the 2nd....in the afternoon!!!!

It doesn't matter what game the Leafs play in....all of Canada will watch the game! NBC is not selling to Canada...NBC is selling to some guy who never went to a Hockey game in the US.

This is not about what the Leafs deserve...this is about business for an American company. If NBC feels that Leafs-Habs at Roger center is going to sell to middle America....then so be it. But I wouldn't be surprised if you see the Rangers or Pens again....or against each other

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
YOU ARE WRONG!!! They have no problem with a Canadian team in it!!! You just are not getting it!! You have some kind of sick obsession with the Winter Classic! Hockey is seen on the national stage all over Canada. This is really the only event of its kind in the US. That's why it's more important to the Wild than an SS game. It gives their team national exposure with less competition. An SS game is on cable, the WC is on free broadcast TV.

Winter classic is about Great American Venues and historic teams...they are trying to sell to America....Fenway...wrigley...they are packaging hockey in other sports venues to create an event. That's why this year was awful.

It's not that people can or can't watch the winter classic if it's in Canada...it's more about....why would someone who doesn't normally watch the sport, watch the Leafs playing at the Rogers Center on January the 2nd....in the afternoon!!!!

It doesn't matter what game the Leafs play in....all of Canada will watch the game! NBC is not selling to Canada...NBC is selling to some guy who never went to a Hockey game in the US.

This is not about what the Leafs deserve...this is about business for an American company. If NBC feels that Leafs-Habs at Roger center is going to sell to middle America....then so be it. But I wouldn't be surprised if you see the Rangers or Pens again....or against each other
Do you really think that Nationals Park was a great when you venue compared to the other ones you mentioned? Then again since Washington was promised a Winter Classic I guess they had no choice to play it there.

Also I keep saying that the Leafs don't need to play Montreal in a Winter Classic, I just want them to host one.

I also believe that the NHL has more of a say then you say they do at who plays in a Winter Classic. If NBC ever lost the TV rights for the United States, do you really think that means no more Winter Classic or Stadium Series games?

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
The Rangers tax break is around 20 million dollars a year from NYC...there is no hockey game that will make them that kinda of cash. The rule is simple...their home games have to be in MSG.

I believe their home games which are played in NYC must be in MSG. They could always have a game against the Bruins or Flyers at Yankee Stadium and just let the Bruins or Flyers be the "home" team. Or, have it at Giants Stadium since it is not in NYC.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Do you really think that Nationals Park was a great when you venue compared to the other ones you mentioned? Then again since Washington was promised a Winter Classic I guess they had no choice to play it there.

Also I keep saying that the Leafs don't need to play Montreal in a Winter Classic, I just want them to host one.

I also believe that the NHL has more of a say then you say they do at who plays in a Winter Classic. If NBC ever lost the TV rights for the United States, do you really think that means no more Winter Classic or Stadium Series games?

The Caps could've had it at FedEx Field, but although its the WC they have been worried about sight lines or something like that. The baseball field gives a more intimate atmosphere. the Big House worked cause you had two historic franchises and rival.

Likewise, Ralph Wilson was the first one so you ere guaranteed to sell out and film lit to capacity and have an amazing atmosphere and Heinz Field have two of the worlds best stars against each other.

And anybody who thinks the Leafs will play the Sens is crazy. That would be a horrible matchup a supposed to them vs MTL or Detroit, or even Boston. The game will sell out in minutes either way but the Sens wouldn't be as much of a spectacle as the other teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad