Rumor: Rumors & Proposals VII: Nothing imminent; Cavalry is not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
Yeah what the Oilers need.. a soft Russian player. FOR one of the only Oilers who actually puts in an effort every game and has a backbone.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Perron is not a clear win, simply because people have ignored the 2nd rounder in the equation. The blues took Ivan Barbeshev who amazingly fell to them to what was our pick. He currently is lighting it up in the QMHL, perhaps the best player in that league and one of the best players in all of juniors.

It's like saying that the Penner deal was a clear win at the time, we still have nothing tangible to show for it, Klefbom has not started to contribute and this is 3 years after the actual trade.

I know I would much rather have Perron on the team now. Hes struggling now but the guy scored 28 last year, Barbashev will be lucky to hit that in his career.

And I also don't see how he is "the best player in the league, and one of the best players in all of juniors" when he is only currently sitting at 7th for point in the Q

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Lets look the Islanders ...

Jaroslav Halak - Acquired for 4th round pick.

Johnny Boychuk - Acquired for NYI + PHI 2nd round picks.

Nikolai Kulemin - Signed as UFA

Mikhail Grabovski - Signed as UFA

Nick Leddy - For TJ Brenan + prospects.

*That* is how you build depth on your team. You don't run around like a chicken with its head cut off trading away your leading players to fill holes.

Because ultimately when you do that you just end up creating holes somewhere else.

You look at their other blue line adds ... Hickey while not being a superstar, has been a plus player for them every year and he was acquired for *nothing* off waivers.

This is why I'm such a proponent of potentially buying low on players like Adam Larsson.

The Islanders are good and they don't have a Shea Weber on their blue line either so enough with the crying about that. Visnovsky is good but clearly past his prime days.

Agreed.

Not every move will work out, but the strategy of buying low is not a bad one.

That being said, you can't buy low and expect high (i.e. signing Cam Barker), but give these players lower responsbilities and a chance to succeed. if they pan out, great.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The Islanders made some BOLD moves over the summer. How we didn't pursue Leddy or Boychuck is beyond me. And Halak I wanted and soon as he became available.

Because we have a god damn arrogant GM who thinks he is the smartest in the world

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
My prediction for what happens this summer:

- Oilers finish bottom 3, draft one of Eichel/McDavid/Hanifin
- Lowe resigns
- Katz fires MacT and Eakins
- Nicholson is named President of Hockey Ops, Howson stays on as Assistant GM
- search for new GM and coach continues through the summer
- team hires Mike Babcock as GM
- Claude Julien resigns/fired in Boston as Bruins exit in first round to Islanders
- Babcock hires Julien as head coach
- Acton is fired

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
My prediction for what happens this summer:

- Oilers finish bottom 3, draft one of Eichel/McDavid/Hanifin
- Lowe resigns
- Katz fires MacT and Eakins
- Nicholson is named President of Hockey Ops, Howson stays on as Assistant GM
- search for new GM and coach continues through the summer
- team hires Mike Babcock as GM
- Claude Julien resigns/fired in Boston as Bruins exit in first round to Islanders
- Babcock hires Julien as head coach
- Acton is fired
:handclap:That is a nice scenario, let's hope it goes that well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If the Oilers land McDavid then I can see Babcock wanting to come here. If not, then probably no.

I would want him as a coach though, not as a GM.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm still furious that we started the year with 2 backup goalies again as if last season didnt teach us anything.
Both Hiller & Halak were obtainable and both are having great seasons.
Seriously, our management team is so incompetent at identifying and filling obvious glaring holes.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Because we have a god damn arrogant GM who thinks he is the smartest in the world

I've been more and more hesitant to vilify our management lately. It's becoming more and more apparent that Katz has his greasy fingers deeply rooted in all aspect of this team.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Stauffer just said Marincin "has zero value" around the league.

He's probably not that far off. The guy can't even be a regular on the Oilers freaking blue line, why would other teams be lining up for him?

Oiler fans overrate him, every other team has a similar type of d-man in their system who "could" break out into something better.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Babcock goes where he gets the most money.

Well yeah I'm assuming the Oilers would pay him a lot more than he's getting in Detroit now.

Coach McDavid + Hall + RNH here or go to Toronto and deal with the harsher media there ... I'd probably take this position so long as Lowe/Mac T are gone.

That's assuming *if* we get McDavid which is obviously far from certain. It would be a more attractive scenario than going to Toronto and getting crapped on by the media when Kessel/Phaneuf can't get them out of the 1st round or whatever.

Here people will throw a parade for him even if the Oilers finish with a 9th seed, lol.

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland
Well yeah I'm assuming the Oilers would pay him a lot more than he's getting in Detroit now.

Coach McDavid + Hall + RNH here or go to Toronto and deal with the harsher media there ... I'd probably take this position so long as Lowe/Mac T are gone.

I'd guess that having Nicholson here is also a big plus. Don't know about their personal relationship though but they're definitely familiar with each other.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Halls skill WITH Gordons heart would be easily one if the best players in the leaghe

I find it amazing how little these Oilers are retaining from the example set by guys like Hendricks and Gordon. I think the majority of the forwards could learn a lot from these two but it seems they feel they are above making the simple play and skating hard. It's like they think they can out skill their own laziness and stupidity. Not going to happen.:shakehead

McDeathbyCheerios*

I find it amazing how little these Oilers are retaining from the example set by guys like Hendricks and Gordon. I think the majority of the forwards could learn a lot from these two but it seems they feel they are above making the simple play and skating hard. It's like they think they can out skill their own laziness and stupidity. Not going to happen.:shakehead
Gordon and Hendricks don't take a night off. It's amazing.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
He's probably not that far off. The guy can't even be a regular on the Oilers freaking blue line, why would other teams be lining up for him?

Oiler fans overrate him, every other team has a similar type of d-man in their system who "could" break out into something better.

True. Elliotte Freidman did call him a stud though.

Someone asked Stauffer "if you could only keep two of Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin who would you keep?"

Stauffer said Nurse & Klefbom, then said Marincin has no value.

Seems like the organization is getting sour on Marty for some reason. I wonder if there's more to this then what appears to the eye.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
makes sense that a 22 year old defenceman who played top 4 minutes for one of the top7 teams at the olympics cant crack a nhl lineup...........nothing wrong with the coaches here at all.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
makes sense that a 22 year old defenceman who played top 4 minutes for one of the top7 teams at the olympics cant crack a nhl lineup...........nothing wrong with the coaches here at all.

Wasn't he pretty awful at the Olympics?

I don't think the Oilers are handling him properly but I don't really see it with him either. He's not some blue chip prospect.

Beyond that I think the Oilers did him a disservice by rushing him into the lineup last year. He was progressing well in the AHL ... why kill that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad