Rumor: Rumors & Proposals VII: Nothing imminent; Cavalry is not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 2m2 minutes ago
Trade that almost went down 2 drafts ago, Schneider for pick #7. Oil decided not to. Would have solidified G, but D was needed too.

Say whhaaaaaaat?

I thought VAN said no or did Mac T put on an act and look pissed after?

It wasn't just for the #7 pick. They wanted pick + roster player + prospect iirc.

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 4m4 minutes ago
Lateral move is possible but not imminent at this point. Draft pick won't be used. this group has been told no cavalry coming, up to them.

This is essentially a $#@! you to the team! ..

"Hey guys I know I gave you a rookie coach and no number 2 centre, but it's up to you to get us out of this mmk ;)"

All the best/See you at the draft party!
-Ya boi MacT

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
To me this just confirms how comfortable they are being the league's joke.

I understand not trading a core player during the season since value isn't there, but we're going to go a lot longer before any holes are filled.

Perron is gonna get moved though, since he spoke up.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Stauffer did talk about Nicholson's comments briefly at the beginning of the show...basically didn't say too much about them, though he did make sure to mention that part of the drafting/development problem was to do with the mess Tambellini left behind, which MacTavish is trying to address.

Basically he's been in full defense mode with these gems so far today:

"Kevin Lowe hasn't been much involved with this team over the past 2 years."
"MacTavish and Howson have only had 20 months."

Saying that the hate for Lowe all stems from his "two tiers of fans" comments, that it started from there.

Keeps going on with "It's a 7 game losing streak, that's why everyone is pissed off!"

He's actually sounded quite annoyed today with callers.

The one thing I have noticed with Stauffer is that he tries so hard to insulate Lowe from what is going on now by stating that he has no input.

First of all the Manage by committee structure of this management group is well know. Its inconceivable that Lowe has voluntarily steeped out of that process.

Secondly the past 7 years has an unquestionable bearing on the current state of this years and last years team.

So even in the unlikely scenario of Lowe stepping out of the Manage by committee process...he is still the main common denominator (and man in charge) in the hiring and firing of the amateur and Pro scouts along with the GM's that put together this mess.

The accountability factor for Lowe is obvious even if Stauffer doesn't have the balls to admit it.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
To me this just confirms how comfortable they are being the league's joke.

I understand not trading a core player during the season since value isn't there, but we're going to go a lot longer before any holes are filled.

Perron is gonna get moved though, since he spoke up.

You know I am as unhappy as most fans but stuff like this is just nonsense.

Perron didn't say anything controversial.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
The one thing I have noticed with Stauffer is that he tries so hard to insulate Lowe from what is going on now by stating that he has no input.

First of all the Manage by committee structure of this management group is well know. Its inconceivable that Lowe has voluntarily steeped out of that process.

Secondly the past 7 years has an unquestionable bearing on the current state of this years and last years team.

So even in the unlikely scenario of Lowe stepping out of the Manage by committee process...he is still the main common denominator (and man in charge) in the hiring and firing of the amateur and Pro scouts along with the GM's that put together this mess.

The accountability factor for Lowe is obvious even if Stauffer doesn't have the balls to admit it.

A lady named Brittany called in ched earlier to talk about Lowe, and you can bet Stauffer tried to defend Lowe.
Pretty much told him what we all feel. When Stauffer started to feed her the "Lowe has not had a hand in the day to day operations blah blah blah..." She basically cut him off before he went to commercial and said:
- Rebutted Stauffer on how he believes Lowe is hated because of the tier comments
- Fans do not hate Lowe but the lack of accountability
- Lowe has been the consistent of the past eight years
- Does not want a trade because she does not trust them
- Does not hate them but they need to go
- Respected Stauffer and the fact that he has to defend them but still does not excuse them

Fans say this every single day. Yet Lowe somehow gets to keep his job. The lowemustgo is going viral upon the media though. The billboards, the oiler fan that had a truck and a billboard, and the fan at the stars game. I wonder what Lowe thinks, when he sees it. Guy should just step down, regardless what Katz says.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The team needs a major shake up. The team has been competitive for most games, but it's clear that they are no where near to being able to win against the West. Eberle would be the best to trade (as much as it would suck) because RNH and Hall are the clear franchise players.

A lady named Brittany called in ched earlier to talk about Lowe, and you can bet Stauffer tried to defend Lowe.
Pretty much told him what we all feel. When Stauffer started to feed her the "Lowe has not had a hand in the day to day operations blah blah blah..." She basically cut him off before he went to commercial and said:
- Rebutted Stauffer on how he believes Lowe is hated because of the tier comments
- Respected Stauffer and the fact that he has to defend them but still does not excuse them

Fans say this every single day. Yet Lowe somehow gets to keep his job. The lowemustgo is going viral upon the media though. The billboards, the oiler fan that had a truck and a billboard, and the fan at the stars game. I wonder what Lowe thinks, when he sees it. Guy should just step down, regardless what Katz says.

True that he needs to be held accountable, even if he doesn't deal with the team and the players anymore. Him stepping down or getting fired would not change a thing in terms of the product on the ice (they'd still be terrible), but it sure show that he shouldn't be able to get 'free ride' anymore.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
probably a good thing

wouldn't trust the clowns in management to win a trade anyways

But the guy in charge of management is seemingly completely content with leaving things how they are.

It's gonna be a very long time before this team can develop and draft a competitive team with the track record we have in the draft.

It's not like we're ever not going to be a position of weakness without changing something. If I've learned anything from watching a team like calgary, it's that skill is the most overrated thing in the nhl.

Start trading the eberles and Schultz of the team for lesser players that are more eager and willing.

We ice a team of ****ing princesses every night and wonder why we don't win when nobody is willing to get dirty to score.

There's not 1 player who should be this teams untouchable core right now.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

How do you look your family/friends in the eyes knowing that they have probably all seen the billboards, fans with signs, constant people in national media saying you don't know how to do your job. Everyone he comes into contact with knows he is the laughing stock of an entire city and league. Everyone and their grandma in this city thinks this guys an idiot.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Trade that almost went down 2 drafts ago, Schneider for pick #7. Oil decided not to. Would have solidified G, but D was needed too.

Say whhaaaaaaat?

Yeah they wanted #7, 2nd rounder, Marincin

I think the Oilers would have been fine with the #7 straight up

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
But the guy in charge of management is seemingly completely content with leaving things how they are.

It's gonna be a very long time before this team can develop and draft a competitive team with the track record we have in the draft.

It's not like we're ever not going to be a position of weakness without changing something. If I've learned anything from watching a team like calgary, it's that skill is the most overrated thing in the nhl.

Start trading the eberles and Schultz of the team for lesser players that are more eager and willing.

We ice a team of ****ing princesses every night and wonder why we don't win when nobody is willing to get dirty to score.

There's not 1 player who should be this teams untouchable core right now.

You avatar has a bag on it's head. I don't think that's within the safety rules of this website!!

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
The next move we make has to be a big one (Eberle/Yakupov/Schultz).

People go on on and about the depth on this squad but players like Pouliot, Fayne, Ferrence, Perron, Gordon all came from good to great teams where they had a role. I don't think any of them became worse players over night (maybe Ferrence). The depth of the team isn't the biggest problem, it's the core.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

Yes, it seemed 100% clear at the time this is what Vancouver wanted, and we all laughed.

Either Rishaug is forgetting something, leaving it out, or being fed a line which makes Edmonton look dumb(er).

And if you're saying Mac T decided "I'd rather have Marincin and Nurse long term over Schneider", it's at least defensible.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
My prediction for what happens this summer:

- Oilers finish bottom 3, draft one of Eichel/McDavid/Hanifin
- Lowe resigns
- Katz fires MacT and Eakins
- Nicholson is named President of Hockey Ops, Howson stays on as Assistant GM
- search for new GM and coach continues through the summer
- team hires Mike Babcock as GM
- Claude Julien resigns/fired in Boston as Bruins exit in first round to Islanders
- Babcock hires Julien as head coach
- Acton is fired

I see events somewhat like this coming to fruition except Lowe won't resign he will just get bumped up the corporate ladder.

Nicholson will build the front office/scouting/coaching staff from the ground up.
I could see a tippett/Maloney tandem coming as a package if ARZ goes full rebuild and with all the ownership turmoil.

Once we have a top 3 pick in this draft locked up, they will promote Lowe away from the team Nicholson will take over clear house and they will buy themselves an experienced, competent front office and coaching staff.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

I'm glad they didn't swing that trade. When ever I see Nurse I thing Jason Smith and future captain. One of the decisions I think MacT will get some good vibes for one day. He needs to make more decisions while talking to other dudes at the urinals. :naughty:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Yeah I heard her, it was the very first call of the day and IMO the best one. Stauffer's arguments came across as lame and weak against it.

Another one that I thought made a great point was a guy, don't remember his name, who said that (paraphrasing a bit here) "In the beginning, we were told to be patient. Then we were told that patience was over, it was time to be bold. Now we're being told to be patient again???? You want us to go along with that, OK sure. But there will be a price, and that price is Kevin Lowe's head."

I can't imagine what the calls will be like a couple weeks from now, when the Oilers are in that hellish part of their schedule. Should be fun. :laugh:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Say whhaaaaaaat?

MacDumbassis a ****ing moron. Schneider was easily worth the 7th!! Turf these stupid dumb ***** now Katz.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yeah I heard her, it was the very first call of the day and IMO the best one. Stauffer's arguments came across as lame and weak against it.

Another one that I thought made a great point was a guy, don't remember his name, who said that (paraphrasing a bit here) "In the beginning, we were told to be patient. Then we were told that patience was over, it was time to be bold. Now we're being told to be patient again???? You want us to go along with that, OK sure. But there will be a price, and that price is Kevin Lowe's head."

I can't imagine what the calls will be like a couple weeks from now, when the Oilers are in that hellish part of their schedule. Should be fun. :laugh:

"I'm being paid to stick up for this guy."

Seriously, he might as well just say this.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'm glad they didn't swing that trade. When ever I see Nurse I thing Jason Smith and future captain. One of the decisions I think MacT will get some good vibes for one day. He needs to make more decisions while talking to other dudes at the urinals. :naughty:

Who cares if he turns into Jason Smith when you could have had a guy who is easily a top 10 goaltender in the league, maybe top 5 some day. ****ing waiting on potential is killing this team. Macdumbass showed how stupid he is by not making that move.

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
Who cares if he turns into Jason Smith when you could have had a guy who is easily a top 10 goaltender in the league, maybe top 5 some day. ****ing waiting on potential is killing this team. Macdumbass showed how stupid he is by not making that move.

Top 10? Nope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad