Rumor: Rumors & Proposals VII: Nothing imminent; Cavalry is not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
I know I would much rather have Perron on the team now. Hes struggling now but the guy scored 28 last year, Barbashev will be lucky to hit that in his career.

And I also don't see how he is "the best player in the league, and one of the best players in all of juniors" when he is only currently sitting at 7th for point in the Q

Look at the games played.

Of course anyone would like a vet NHler rather than a junior player right now but the comments since day one have been we fleeced the blues in that deal! The Perron trade was great! We'll see how long perron stays and what he is traded for if he goes.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Stauffer is garbage and wouldn't know value if it smacked him in the face

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Stauffer just said Marincin "has zero value" around the league.

What an idiot, about two weeks ago Matheson was on his show saying that the player other teams ask about a great deal is Marincin.

Also Stauffer in the last year we had Horcoff asked Craig Button if the oilers would trade horcoff to montreal for Gomez and Montreals 1st round pick and he (Stauffer) quickly said, I wouldn't! That pick ended up being Galyenyuk.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Great, this is where Marincin is basically given away. Stauffer is likely bracing fans for the inevitable.

Funny. 2 weeks ago on Oilers Now he was pimpin Marincin. He said other teams scouts and executives only asked about Marincin off the record.

Wouldn't be surprised if he is setting up the fans for a average trade. Just like Mac T did in 2006 when he said you have to pay a premium to get a starting goalie.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
What an idiot, about two weeks ago Matheson was on his show saying that the player other teams ask about a great deal is Marincin.

Also Stauffer in the last year we had Horcoff asked Craig Button if the oilers would trade horcoff to montreal for Gomez and Montreals 1st round pick and he (Stauffer) quickly said, I wouldn't! That pick ended up being Galyenyuk.
Yah Stauffer is out to lunch on that one, the guy lost a ton of credibility when he went to work for the Oil. Let's face it if he was on the other side of the fence he would be flaming the Oil big time.

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
Well yeah I'm assuming the Oilers would pay him a lot more than he's getting in Detroit now.

Coach McDavid + Hall + RNH here or go to Toronto and deal with the harsher media there ... I'd probably take this position so long as Lowe/Mac T are gone.

That's assuming *if* we get McDavid which is obviously far from certain. It would be a more attractive scenario than going to Toronto and getting crapped on by the media when Kessel/Phaneuf can't get them out of the 1st round or whatever.

Here people will throw a parade for him even if the Oilers finish with a 9th seed, lol.

The sad but realistic state of an Oilers fan lol. I would strut around town in a permanent Oilers onesie shoving Flames fans and side talking Nucks supporters if we were even anywhere close to 9th!!!

nhlisajoke

Nov 15, 2010
Edmonton
The sad but realistic state of an Oilers fan lol. I would strut around town in a permanent Oilers onesie shoving Flames fans and side talking Nucks supporters if we were even anywhere close to 9th!!!

i have one of those onesie's...ill join you

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
:laugh:Can I join, sounds like fun.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Stauffer did talk about Nicholson's comments briefly at the beginning of the show...basically didn't say too much about them, though he did make sure to mention that part of the drafting/development problem was to do with the mess Tambellini left behind, which MacTavish is trying to address.

Basically he's been in full defense mode with these gems so far today:

"Kevin Lowe hasn't been much involved with this team over the past 2 years."
"MacTavish and Howson have only had 20 months."

Saying that the hate for Lowe all stems from his "two tiers of fans" comments, that it started from there.

Keeps going on with "It's a 7 game losing streak, that's why everyone is pissed off!"

He's actually sounded quite annoyed today with callers.

I only listened to the start of the show, but yeah, he was definitely defending the current group and put all the blame on Tambellini for drafting and improper development, which I find hilarious. Is the head of scouting not the same guy? Are some of the same bums still part of the scouting staff? Are you telling me Dave Semenko even knows what day it is, let alone what player he's watching? Seriously, how is this guy qualified to be a scout? Don't get me started on the Musil factor.

The one point he did make that may be apt was about Tambo rushing to get junior guys into the AHL upon their first eligibility (cited Pitlick and Hamilton). But isn't MacT guilty of the same thing - on a larger scale no less - by not just rushing Draisaitl, but not even having a back up plan should the kid need to get sent back.

It was some classic spinning of perspective by Stauffer. Here I thought he may have turned a corner the way he has actually questioned the Oilers the last couple of weeks. I'm guessing Katz/Lowe gave him a call and asked him if he liked his job, because it was pro Oiler propaganda as usual today.

cj354

Nov 2, 2013
:laugh:Can I join, sounds like fun.

An overused but applicable Ron Burgundy quote says it best I believe lol ..

"I know that, one day, Taylor Hall will hoist the Stanley Cup on top of a mountain. And there's going to be flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs. And we will dance till the sun rises. And then our team will form a modern dynasty. And we will tour the countryside, and you (Eakins, MacT, K.Lowe) won't be invited!!!!!

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
My prediction for what happens this summer:

- Oilers finish bottom 3, draft one of Eichel/McDavid/Hanifin
- Lowe resigns
- Katz fires MacT and Eakins
- Nicholson is named President of Hockey Ops, Howson stays on as Assistant GM
- search for new GM and coach continues through the summer
- team hires Mike Babcock as GM
- Claude Julien resigns/fired in Boston as Bruins exit in first round to Islanders
- Babcock hires Julien as head coach
- Acton is fired

That would be the dream scenario but this is what will most likely happen.

- Oilers go on a big win streak once they're officially eliminated from the playoffs. Draft 9th and select and under sized, offence first forward.

- Lowe holds a press conferamce announcing his contract extension and that Nicholson is being relieved of his duties.

- During the same press conferance, Mac T announces that Eakins will be given one more year, team has improved and is dominating Corsi.

- Messier is named assistant GM

- Macgregor is fired, Buchberger named head scout.

- Yakupov traded for a project defenceman

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
My prediction for what happens this summer:

- Oilers finish bottom 3, draft one of Eichel/McDavid/Hanifin
- Lowe resigns
- Katz fires MacT and Eakins
- Nicholson is named President of Hockey Ops, Howson stays on as Assistant GM
- search for new GM and coach continues through the summer
- team hires Mike Babcock as GM
- Claude Julien resigns/fired in Boston as Bruins exit in first round to Islanders
- Babcock hires Julien as head coach
- Acton is fired

I would be an incredibly happy hockey fan if all that happened. If we got McDavid/Eichel, then Nicholson/Babcock/Julien replace Lowe/Mact/Eakins I would have legitimate faith that this team could be turned around quickly.

With a top 2 pick this year, we certainly have the assets for COMPETENT hockey men to turn this ship around.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 28s28 seconds ago

Don't expect Mactavish to move a core player anytime soon. Return isn't there, dealing from position of weakness.

Yawn

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Makes sense. It's better to deal from at least a half position of strength. The season is done anyways. I'd rather these idiots stay at the bottom. Draft one of the top 3 and then start trading 1-2 "core" pieces in the off season

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 4m4 minutes ago
Lateral move is possible but not imminent at this point. Draft pick won't be used. this group has been told no cavalry coming, up to them.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 4m4 minutes ago
Lateral move is possible but not imminent at this point. Draft pick won't be used. this group has been told no cavalry coming, up to them.

Sounds like MacT is trying to get the pressure off him..

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I only listened to the start of the show, but yeah, he was definitely defending the current group and put all the blame on Tambellini for drafting and improper development, which I find hilarious. Is the head of scouting not the same guy? Are some of the same bums still part of the scouting staff? Are you telling me Dave Semenko even knows what day it is, let alone what player he's watching? Seriously, how is this guy qualified to be a scout? Don't get me started on the Musil factor.

The one point he did make that may be apt was about Tambo rushing to get junior guys into the AHL upon their first eligibility (cited Pitlick and Hamilton). But isn't MacT guilty of the same thing - on a larger scale no less - by not just rushing Draisaitl, but not even having a back up plan should the kid need to get sent back.

It was some classic spinning of perspective by Stauffer. Here I thought he may have turned a corner the way he has actually questioned the Oilers the last couple of weeks. I'm guessing Katz/Lowe gave him a call and asked him if he liked his job, because it was pro Oiler propaganda as usual today.

Yeah, that was the gist of it. He was digging his feet in today and throwing around his "I gave you your opportunity to call!" tagline like he should be congratulated for it. You could tell his patience is starting to wear thin.

One thing I noticed - not a single word was mentioned, one way or another, about Stu MacGregor. Have to wonder if he might be the virgin thrown into the volcano at year end, along with a number of the pro scouting crew.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Ryan Rishaug ‏@TSNRyanRishaug 2m2 minutes ago
Trade that almost went down 2 drafts ago, Schneider for pick #7. Oil decided not to. Would have solidified G, but D was needed too.

Say whhaaaaaaat?

I thought VAN said no or did Mac T put on an act and look pissed after?

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Well, no trades, no coaching change, another year written off before Christmas. Clearly the core has worked so well these last few years so why change it.

Let's try all the same things next year, except with a shiny new can't miss draft pick!

This organization is a ****ing joke. Nobody is held accountable for anything so why would they change? Absolutely pathetic. I could never cheer for another team, but it's about time I stop wasting my time with these morons.

It's absolutely embarrassing to say I'm a fan of these pathetic losers.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Well, no trades, no coaching change, another year written off before Christmas. Clearly the core has worked so well these last few years so why change it.

Let's try all the same things next year, except with a shiny new can't miss draft pick!

This organization is a ****ing joke. Nobody is held accountable for anything so why would they change? Absolutely pathetic. I could never cheer for another team, but it's about time I stop wasting my time with these morons.

It's absolutely embarrassing to say I'm a fan of these pathetic losers.

Pretty much. They just accepted that this season is over, and that they'll be happy to be drafting McDavid or Eichel. Total embarrassing and a disgrace of a management.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad