Rumor: Rumors & Proposals VII: Nothing imminent; Cavalry is not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Who cares if he turns into Jason Smith when you could have had a guy who is easily a top 10 goaltender in the league, maybe top 5 some day. ****ing waiting on potential is killing this team. Macdumbass showed how stupid he is by not making that move.

Why don't you really tell us how you feel about Nurse? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, you have it out for the kid. There's pages of proof on the point. Why? He's our lone bright spot in a position where we desperately need help.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Who cares if he turns into Jason Smith when you could have had a guy who is easily a top 10 goaltender in the league, maybe top 5 some day. ****ing waiting on potential is killing this team. Macdumbass showed how stupid he is by not making that move.

I highly doubt that deal was on the table. That may be what edmonton was willing to give up but there was lots of talk about there being a premium placed on the fact they were in the same division. I find it hard to believe that premium was only two places in the draft.

The deal that van was after was 1st 2nd marincin....would you be happy with that?

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
How do you look your family/friends in the eyes knowing that they have probably all seen the billboards, fans with signs, constant people in national media saying you don't know how to do your job. Everyone he comes into contact with knows he is the laughing stock of an entire city and league. Everyone and their grandma in this city thinks this guys an idiot.

I damn respect Lowe as a player as many other fans do, but in management wise, he's easily becoming hated by everybody. Not just oiler fans. The only ones that defend him are Stauffer and Lowe apologists for reasons I don't know why? They go on and on saying firing Lowe does nothing. But a new fresh culture is what this team needs. Lowe's been here far too long, and accomplished more harm than good. No other POHO has remained this long in other teams. Its a joke.

Yeah I heard her, it was the very first call of the day and IMO the best one. Stauffer's arguments came across as lame and weak against it.

Another one that I thought made a great point was a guy, don't remember his name, who said that (paraphrasing a bit here) "In the beginning, we were told to be patient. Then we were told that patience was over, it was time to be bold. Now we're being told to be patient again???? You want us to go along with that, OK sure. But there will be a price, and that price is Kevin Lowe's head."

I can't imagine what the calls will be like a couple weeks from now, when the Oilers are in that hellish part of their schedule. Should be fun. :laugh:

Hahahaha, I heard that and chuckled. Next month's hell, but I assure you even if we lose, good ol Stauffer and management will continue to preach patience. Won't be long until Stauffer actually starts to talk about the NHL draft. What a joke.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Here are some actual quotes about the Schneider ordeal

Told asking price for Schneider to Oilers was the 7, a 2nd and a good young player. High price to trade within division, Oil passed.

— Ryan Rishaug (@TSNRyanRishaug) June 30, 2013

All right you tweeps anybody really dismayed that the Oilers didn’t bite on Schneider given the ask was #7, a top prospect, plus? Not Me!

— Bob Stauffer (@Bob_Stauffer) July 1, 2013

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2013/07/01/vancouver-canucks-premium-edmonton-oilers-cory-schneider/

Rumours were flying on Twitter that the Edmonton Oilers were interested in acquiring Cory Schneider, with a reported package of the 7th overall pick, a second round pick, and a prospect. I suspect that package is what the Canucks wanted from the Oilers, not what the Oilers were offering. In any case, it’s disappointing that Gillis was unable to negotiate an additional pick or prospect in the trade.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2013/06/30/canucks-shock-the-league-trade-cory-schneider-to-the-devils-for-the-9th-overall-pick-select-bo-horvat/

Martin Marincin will have value league-wide; he's cheap, has a range of skills and has a proven ability to handle NHL-level competition. We also know the Vancouver Canucks asked for him when they were shopping Cory Schneider

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/10/06/will-the-edmonton-oilers-end-up-trading-martin-marincin/

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
How do you look your family/friends in the eyes knowing that they have probably all seen the billboards, fans with signs, constant people in national media saying you don't know how to do your job. Everyone he comes into contact with knows he is the laughing stock of an entire city and league. Everyone and their grandma in this city thinks this guys an idiot.

Pretty easy when you know something about winning..... draft lotteries. Lowe's a joke, MacT's a Joke, Howson's a Joke, Macgregor's a Joke, Stauffer's a joke, fire every single one of those ****tards. I'm sick of the excuses and ********. If they want to build through the draft thats fine, but you have to also be making trades that better the team.

Remember how LA traded Vishnovsky for Stoll and Greene? Two key pieces for them in there Stanley cup run. They also traded Brayden Schenn for one Mike Richards another key cog in there cup run. How about Chicago, acquired for Matt Ellison and a 3rd round pick, acquired Andrew Ladd for Tuomo Ruutu, Traded Bochenski for Versteeg, etc...

Our management has no idea how to build a team. They have no concept of gathering assets that will make the team stronger this year and in 2-3 years when we should be competing in the playoffs. No our management the losers that they are see shiny new 1st overall draft picks as the solution to all our problems. It's a joke, a ****ing joke.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I highly doubt that deal was on the table. That may be what edmonton was willing to give up but there was lots of talk about there being a premium placed on the fact they were in the same division. I find it hard to believe that premium was only two places in the draft.

The deal that van was after was 1st 2nd marincin....would you be happy with that?

Easily, I see Schneider winning a Vezina behind the right defence. I don't see any of the players in that package ever doing that. He also would have anchored our goaltending spot for the next decade similar to Carey Price in Montreal.

Edit: Also how much did we give up to go after Fasth and Scrivens and still not have a fix in net? 3rd rounder for Scrivens, then a 3rd and 5th for Fasth. How many more assets are we going to waste over the years trying to find a goalie? When the right player becomes available you pay the price to acquire them.

Last edited:

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Why don't you really tell us how you feel about Nurse? :sarcasm:

Seriously though, you have it out for the kid. There's pages of proof on the point. Why? He's our lone bright spot in a position where we desperately need help.

He has similar upside as Klefbom and Marincin. I just don't see a top pairing guy out of him. Some guys might but I think his decision making needs work. Said at the draft his hockey IQ isn't great and I stand by that. Now in saying that I see him as a solid number 3 on a good team who will probably contribute 20-30 points.

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
Are you serious? He's easily a top 10 goaltender in this league right now. Given his age, play and contract I dunno if theres even 5 goaltenders more valuable then him at the moment.

Off the top of my head I would rather have these guys right now.

Lundqvist
Rinne
Price
Quick
Rask
Bishop
Luongo (damn he's underrated)
Howard
Anderson
Varlamov

Also your statement "behind the right D he can win a Vezina" can be applied to almost any goalie.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Lundqvist
Rinne
Price
Quick
Rask
Bishop
Howard
Anderson
Varlamov

Bishop, Howard, and Varlamov are all arguable. Personally I put Schneider in the same group as Price and Rask.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton

Lundqvist
Rinne
Price
Quick
Rask
Bishop
Howard
Anderson
Varlamov

Also your statement "behind the right D he can win a Vezina" can be applied to almost any goalie.

Our D is also a huge mess, and Chabot did **** all to improve our goalies. Schneider would have gone down to his pads here already.

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,

That would have been a quote "BOLD MOVE" but of course Mact wouldnt do it. He is all talk, nothing more, came out spewing how he is impatient and how he would make bold moves, but has done nothing bold.

As for Stauffer, he was an embarassment today, his love in with Lowe, Mact, Hall, Eberle, and Hopkins was disgusting. Said wasnt time for oilers to make a panic move, and move one of the golden boys, guess being in cellar dweller for the last 5 years is no time to panic. He steadfastly defended Lowe, when rational callers were saying management was the problem.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Guess I shouldn't say your opinion is wrong but I disagree heavily.

Time will tell, I won't be surprised if Schnieder wins a Vezina or two. IMO he would have been the best goalie we've had since Curtis Joseph. Which is saying something because Roloson was damn good.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Schneider is not in the same universe as those two.

I dunno if you switched Schneider unto either of Boston or Montreal do you think the teams would be much worse? I think he's heavily undervalued because he plays on a crap team.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Easily, I see Schneider winning a Vezina behind the right defence. I don't see any of the players in that package ever doing that. He also would have anchored our goaltending spot for the next decade similar to Carey Price in Montreal.

Edit: Also how much did we give up to go after Fasth and Scrivens and still not have a fix in net? 3rd rounder for Scrivens, then a 3rd and 5th for Fasth. How many more assets are we going to waste over the years trying to find a goalie? When the right player becomes available you pay the price to acquire them.

He is definitely a good goalie but that is quite the steep price to pay. I think the key thing you mentioned is " behind the right defense." Giving up those 2 keys pieces blows the hell out of any future this team has on defense...:dunno:....Damned if you do damned if you don't with this team. We are so thin everywhere but the wing. :facepalm:

hawks889

Jul 6, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta,

If as Stauffer claims that goaltending has killed the team last 2 seasons, then the price of Nurse and Marincin would have been fine, and who cares about an oilers 2nd rounder, not like they ever have any that make it. Nurse wont make an impact for at least another season, and Marincin is getting good at eating popcorn upstairs, a quality no 1 bona fide goalie would have done wonders .

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Passing Schneider is one thing, but why Scrivens/Fasth?

Two inexperienced goalies. Halak and Hiller were available.

Halak/Scrivens would be a good tandem too.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I dunno if you switched Schneider unto either of Boston or Montreal do you think the teams would be much worse? I think he's heavily undervalued because he plays on a crap team.

This may be true, but he is a far cry from being among the top goaltenders in the league. People had very high expectations for Schneider, and he has yet to live up to those expectations. I think he is a good goalie, but I think also that he has reached close to his peak, if he hasn't reached it already. He's a good starting goalie, not a great one.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Bishop, Howard, and Varlamov are all arguable. Personally I put Schneider in the same group as Price and Rask.

Not in my opinion. Could he be? I guess anything is possible. But I don't see that much different between Schneider, Mason, Holtby.... all are young starting goaltenders.

Price and Rask has shown much more than Schneider has imo.

That being said, I can now understand your position.

Would I give up #7 overall, second round draft pick plus Marincin for Carey Price or Tukka Rask? Yup I would.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

You do of course realise that the reason NJ struggles is that they can't score, not that they can't play defense. This is a team that has been top 10 in GA every year except one over the last decade. The team's entire philosophy is centered around keeping the puck out of their net.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
He is definitely a good goalie but that is quite the steep price to pay. I think the key thing you mentioned is " behind the right defense." Giving up those 2 keys pieces blows the hell out of any future this team has on defense...:dunno:....Damned if you do damned if you don't with this team. We are so thin everywhere but the wing. :facepalm:

The way I look at it if we had acquired Schneider its a starting goaltender for the next 5-10 years. That package was 100% futures who may or may not turn out. We need to start solidifying positions and the management group refuses for whatever reason to do it. It's always excuses with these guys, like the price was to high. The way I see it is that if we had acquired Schneider he's part of the core. Which would then be Hall, RNH, Schneider. We would still need a top pairing dman or two but we should be able to land one in the next 2 years with any of Eberle, Perron, Yakupov, Draisaitl, picks, etc... For example lets say we traded the 2015 1st and Eberle to Phoenix for OEL and Korpikoski, sure it's an overpayment but it solidifies our core team to build around. Our team would then look something like:

Hall-RNH-Perron
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Arcobello-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu

OEL-Petry
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-Schultz

Schneider
Whoever

Is it a great team? Not really, but most of the holes could be plugged through free agency and smaller trades.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
The way I look at it if we had acquired Schneider its a starting goaltender for the next 5-10 years. That package was 100% futures who may or may not turn out. We need to start solidifying positions and the management group refuses for whatever reason to do it. It's always excuses with these guys, like the price was to high. The way I see it is that if we had acquired Schneider he's part of the core. Which would then be Hall, RNH, Schneider. We would still need a top pairing dman or two but we should be able to land one in the next 2 years with any of Eberle, Perron, Yakupov, Draisaitl, picks, etc... For example lets say we traded the 2015 1st and Eberle to Phoenix for OEL and Korpikoski, sure it's an overpayment but it solidifies our core team to build around. Our team would then look something like:

Hall-RNH-Perron
Pouliot-Draisaitl-Yakupov
Korpikoski-Arcobello-Purcell
Hendricks-Gordon-Joensuu

OEL-Petry
Klefbom-Fayne
Ference-Schultz

Schneider
Whoever

Is it a great team? Not really, but most of the holes could be plugged through free agency and smaller trades.

I'm with you on taking a chance. I wonder, how many of the recent Stanley Cup champions or even the top tier teams haven't made risky moves in order to take that next step.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
That would have been a quote "BOLD MOVE" but of course Mact wouldnt do it. He is all talk, nothing more, came out spewing how he is impatient and how he would make bold moves, but has done nothing bold.

As for Stauffer, he was an embarassment today, his love in with Lowe, Mact, Hall, Eberle, and Hopkins was disgusting. Said wasnt time for oilers to make a panic move, and move one of the golden boys, guess being in cellar dweller for the last 5 years is no time to panic. He steadfastly defended Lowe, when rational callers were saying management was the problem.

Did he pull out the yearly, "Hey, I believe in Taylor Hall. I believe in RNH. I believe in Jordan Eberle. I believe in Nail Yakupov. I believe in Justin Schultz." etc.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille