Rumor: Rumors & Proposals VII: Nothing imminent; Cavalry is not coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I would like to see a J Schultz + Perron + 2nd for B Schenn + Coburn deal go down. But if that was too big or too lopsided I would trying offering Jschultz + pick/prospect for B Schenn

I agree that would be good. We can also all agree that Hall is a horse and can play big minutes. Pouliot can play a lot too. If we moved Eberle our RW depth becomes ****.

Perron is the guy to move. We need to keep 1 solid 1-2 punch on both port and star board.

I am in favour of a Perron, Schultz, Marincin to Philly for a B.Schenn, and a Coburn. They also might want to dump L.Schenn on us in which we can take. Depth is always good on the Blue.

Last edited by a moderator:

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
The way Lebrun, Bobby Mac and Dreger keep talking like it doesn't sound like Edmonton is going after a 2/3 line centre, more like a 1-2 line centre.

They keep saying "top" centre, that doesn't strike me as referring to guys like Berglund, Amisinov, etc...

The general consensus out of them is that Perron is not enough to get a top centre in return....Well I think everybody knows that..
I think MacT is targeting 2-3 line centres with a Perron deal and a 1-2 line centre or Dman with a Eberle deal... just a hunch though..

If Edmonton trades Eberle who slots in his place? Does anyone honestly think Yakupov is ready to play top line competition?

McDeathbyCheerios*

The way Lebrun, Bobby Mac and Dreger keep talking like it doesn't sound like Edmonton is going after a 2/3 line centre, more like a 1-2 line centre.

They keep saying "top" centre, that doesn't strike me as referring to guys like Berglund, Amisinov, etc...

The general consensus out of them is that Perron is not enough to get a top centre in return....Well I think everybody knows that..
I think MacT is targeting 2-3 line centres with a Perron deal and a 1-2 line centre or Dman with a Eberle deal... just a hunch though..

If Edmonton trades Eberle who slots in his place? Does anyone honestly think Yakupov is ready to play top line competition?
A top line of Hall, RNH and Purcell works. Purcell has played well with highly skilled guys before and is at least as good defensively as Ebs if not better

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
A top line of Hall, RNH and Purcell works. Purcell has played well with highly skilled guys before and is at least as good defensively as Ebs if not better

Eberle at 6 million is still miles ahead of Teddy at 4.5.

Another reason to keep Eberle is for Shootouts. He is money in the shoot out. If we move Perron (another stud in the SO) we are left with no body.

If the NHL goes to 3 on 3 I really think Eberle would thrive as well. Put the trio out with out a D man for the 3 on 3. Could be fun to watch.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Eberle at 6 million is still miles ahead of Teddy at 4.5.

Another reason to keep Eberle is for Shootouts. He is money in the shoot out. If we move Perron (another stud in the SO) we are left with no body.

If the NHL goes to 3 on 3 I really think Eberle would thrive as well. Put the trio out with out a D man for the 3 on 3. Could be fun to watch.
We have to trade one of Hall, RNH or Eberle. Only 3 with enough value to get us something. Which one would you rather trade of the 3

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything

I disagree. To me, "top center", especially in the way they're using it, refers to top 6, which would be the classic "scorning line" usage of the term. I think it's only message board regulars and NHL15 type trade proposals that seem to think any trade is minor unless it involves franchise players who consider top to mean the league's elite.

A Perron for Anisimov trade (for example) is actually a pretty big move for both teams, and involve players who are significant pieces, but it's not considered a big deal on HF unless names like Hall or Johansson are involved.

Obviously the Oilers would love to add a 1st line C to their roster, but I would definitely consider any 2C to be worthy of the term "top center". Names like Schenn, Bozak, O'Reilly, Anisimov, Henrique, etc. would all be considered top centers IMO, even though none of them are 1st liners (maybe O'Reilly).

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009

Berglund is a good player. He's no doubt a second line center and can handle tough competition. Anisimov I don't think can be considered a top-line center (i.e., 1st or 2nd line). What stings if they make a move for Berglund is that everyone knows that option was there during the summer, and it's not as if prices go down during the season. . . gee whiz.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
We have to trade one of Hall, RNH or Eberle. Only 3 with enough value to get us something. Which one would you rather trade of the 3

None of the above. You will be able to get a quality defenceman or centre for Perron, Schultz, Klefbom, Marincin draft picks....

It would be stupid to trade one of the Hall, Eberle, Nuge's right now. There is no way we play a playoff game this year. Revisit that in the off season after the draft.

Would you want to trade Eberle now for a piece that gets us an extra 10 points and out of the lottery?

McDavid if as hyped as he is could change the dynamic of our team (along with other pieces)

RNH
McDavid
LD
Gordon.

Not bad C depth in the long run. We have heard this a lot lately but be patient.

If the Oiler's are to tank, this is the year.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Eberle of course but only for the reason of possibly getting a 1D back. And that 1D isn't a prospect, he is a bonafide stud Dman. Any other trade would be a miserable fail because Eberle is going to be putting up points for years to come and really isn't the biggest problem with this team atm.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Berglund is a good player. No doubt a second line center and can handle tough competition. Anisimov is don't think can be considered a top-line center (i.e., 1st or 2nd line). What stings if they make a move for Berglund is that everyone knows that option was there during the summer, and it's not as if prices go down during the season. . . gee whiz.
They wanted a 1st rounder for Berglund. He has 4 points this season. His price has absolutely dropped

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
Nicholson was the head of Hockey Canada, a very small portion of that job entailed putting together the Mens olympic team. Nicholson also say our poor performances at teh world juniors and initiated a program to revamp and emphasize player growth from a grass roots level starting at the timbits/tyke levels. offering up coaching and materials to be used by everyone invloved in minor hockey. If he has shown anything in his time with hockey canada it is identifying problems and planning and executing the gameplan to correct these issues going forward.

Except our World Junior teams hasnt won much in the last few years under a system he developed and was part of. Not that I think it means he's not good at building hockey teams but building a winner in Canadian isnt as difficult as building a winner in say Switzerland or even Sweden or Finland.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
Berglund is a good player. He's no doubt a second line center and can handle tough competition. Anisimov I don't think can be considered a top-line center (i.e., 1st or 2nd line). What stings if they make a move for Berglund is that everyone knows that option was there during the summer, and it's not as if prices go down during the season. . . gee whiz.

I think that's definitely up for debate.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
They wanted a 1st rounder for Berglund. He has 4 points this season. His price has absolutely dropped
The guy (Berglund) has absolutely lost his hands. He is big but not physical and not a great skater, sound familiar. We have that player already in Purcell. He has some value on the PP where he has shown in the past he can have some success. I don't think we should be dangling anything in front of STL for potential waiver bait. All of this stuff is a day late and a dollar short, shame on the Oil for not having any foresight last summer.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

From what I've read in the St louis forum in the past he has been tried several times a second line center and continually found wanting. He is a third line center...errrr....winger now. He would be a good stop gap but I wouldn't give up much for him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
yep, the back up plan to dump Gagner for a free player Purcell has back fired. The Oilers as constituted today are worse off than they would be with Gagner in the line up. Arcobello isn't skilled enough to score, and he's smaller?? than Gagner, and secondary scoring has suffered, and truth be told, maybe just maybe some of the defensive liabilities of a "Gagner" is attributable to the god awful defensive pairings that the Oiler's are plagued with. I mean, for instance, Yak is a minus 1 cos Schultz decides to go for a change and leave the whole middle of the ice open for a hail mary breakaway to Sequin the other night. And when Petry fuddles the puck off the back of the net and Ferrence gets stick on backwards and fumbles the puck to a Dallas forward and bingo bango Sequin pots a laser from the slot ... like whats a forward to do???

"Arco isn't skilled enough to score"

He has 4 goals this season. Gagner has 2.

I'm also willing to bet that Gagner gets easier zone starts and doesn't have the PK responsibility that Arco does.
And before Replacement jumps in and tried to blame everything on Sammy's linemates remember that Arco had had Perron, Yak, Purcell and Poo as his wingers. All who have had worse starts to the season than Arco has.

McDeathbyCheerios*

"Arco isn't skilled enough to score"

He has 4 goals this season. Gagner has 2.

I'm also willing to bet that Gagner gets easier zone starts and doesn't have the PK responsibility that Arco does.
And before Replacement jumps in and tried to blame everything on Sammy's linemates remember that Arco had had Perron, Yak, Purcell and Poo as his wingers. All who have had worse starts to the season than Arco has.
Draisaitl also has 2 goals for perspective

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
Wasn't a fan of Perron for Anisimov. Glad it's supposedly not going through.

Out of the big 3 I suppose I would trade Eberle. I think people are too down on him and he's a lot better than people are giving him credit for.
He does a lot of things that people don't really notice or give credit for.
That being said he's the one I would trade.

Schultz is someone I'm just done with. He has absolutely 0 clue in the D zone. He gives no effort back there.

Eirhead*

Soooooo, I'm guessing it's Craig MacTavish running this poll? Clearly he needs our opinions on the matter before taking any action.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I would be very surprised if this was discussed on Oilers Now.

For those who haven't heard it check out the link below. The Nicholson interview is part of the Nov 26th podcast 27 minutes into the show.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/590/prime-time-sports/

Stauffer did talk about Nicholson's comments briefly at the beginning of the show...basically didn't say too much about them, though he did make sure to mention that part of the drafting/development problem was to do with the mess Tambellini left behind, which MacTavish is trying to address.

Basically he's been in full defense mode with these gems so far today:

"Kevin Lowe hasn't been much involved with this team over the past 2 years."
"MacTavish and Howson have only had 20 months."

Saying that the hate for Lowe all stems from his "two tiers of fans" comments, that it started from there.

Keeps going on with "It's a 7 game losing streak, that's why everyone is pissed off!"

He's actually sounded quite annoyed today with callers.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lets look the Islanders ...

Jaroslav Halak - Acquired for 4th round pick.

Johnny Boychuk - Acquired for NYI + PHI 2nd round picks.

Nikolai Kulemin - Signed as UFA

Mikhail Grabovski - Signed as UFA

Nick Leddy - For TJ Brenan + prospects.

*That* is how you build depth on your team. You don't run around like a chicken with its head cut off trading away your leading players to fill holes.

Because ultimately when you do that you just end up creating holes somewhere else.

You look at their other blue line adds ... Hickey while not being a superstar, has been a plus player for them every year and he was acquired for *nothing* off waivers.

This is why I'm such a proponent of potentially buying low on players like Adam Larsson.

The Islanders are good and they don't have a Shea Weber on their blue line either so enough with the crying about that. Visnovsky is good but clearly past his prime days.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Lets look the Islanders ...

Jaroslav Halak - Acquired for 4th round pick.

Johnny Boychuk - Acquired for NYI + PHI 2nd round picks.

Nikolai Kulemin - Signed as UFA

Mikhail Grabovski - Signed as UFA

Nick Leddy - For TJ Brenan + prospects.

*That* is how you build depth on your team. You don't run around like a chicken with its head cut off trading away your leading players to fill holes.

Because ultimately when you do that you just end up creating holes somewhere else.

You look at their other blue line adds ... Hickey while not being a superstar, has been a plus player for them every year and he was acquired for *nothing* off waivers.

This is why I'm such a proponent of potentially buying low on players like Adam Larsson.

The Islanders are good and they don't have a Shea Weber on their blue line either so enough with the crying about that. Visnovsky is good but clearly past his prime days.
The Islanders made some BOLD moves over the summer. How we didn't pursue Leddy or Boychuck is beyond me. And Halak I wanted and soon as he became available.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I wish we could get Schenn Brothers for Ebs straight up... Edmonton might have to retain a little salary this year because of the cap situation Philly is in.

THEN *DRUMROLL* We can waive Justin Schultz and have Petry, Fayne and Schenn on the right side! Awesome!

I'd honestly put Schenn and Marincin together. I'm convinced that their skills would work well together. Marincin is more responsible and moves the puck a little better while Schenn's physicality will pressure the opposition into making mistakes and make them think twice about walking into the zone.

Imagine if we could have Nurse and Schenn playing together on a pairing? I know, you'd want to spread the rough stuff around, but it would be fun to watch the two of them bullying the opposition together.

With this trade we could send Dr. Drai down. Tell him to continue to work on strength and conditioning. Schenn plays 2nd line center in front of Arcobello and Arcobello is probably gone next year.

I usually agree with most post you make but this one is just not so thought out.Luke Schenn is a terrible dman. He would be an over paid 3rd pairing.

You can not just retain one year of a contract it has to be for the length of the contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad