Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Trade Deadline Has Come & Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
There are levers to pull.

Replace Yamamoto (via buyout or trade) with a $1M scoring winger that have been available in droves the past few off seasons (think Sonny Milano type). Or try Lavoie. Yamamoto has been playing at or below this quality this season when he's actually been healthy.

If Foegele keeps up his level of play in the playoffs he'll likely be tradebale - Holloway is an easy replacement there

Kulak is likely tradeable - Broberg replaces.

All of those together would create in the range of $4M in space without materially impacting the team. The only current weaknesses I really see with the roster are #1 RD (although Ceci is purportedly injured, not a problem if he gets back to last year's level) and #2 RW, so it isn't like we're forgoing improving the team to get Bouchard on a longer term deal.
I understand that there are methods to alleviate salary, but those are some very optimistic assumptions that you can replace these types of players from within or via the UFA market with guys making close to league min.

I'm optimistic about guys like Holloway, Bourgault and Broberg. But I also understand that it takes time to get guys acclimated. Yamamoto is a prime example of how difficult it is to find consistency at the next level.

Personally I might be leaning towards the Debrusk treatment with Yamamoto, extending him at a lower cap hit, hoping to improve his value on the trade market. He's a guy that has averaged 16+ minutes a night the past few seasons.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Perhaps I can type it into existence.

I'm holding out hope we can add some undrafteted free agent defensemen to the prospect pool. Bakersfield needs blue liners next year and it's always useful to have defensemen bubbling under. As we continue to deal picks, we have to cultivate other avenues of restocking the prospect munitions.

Keeping eyes on Hardy Haman Aktell.

- Vaxjo Lakers are still playing in the SHL playoffs, currently 3-2 series lead in the semi finals to Frolunda.

- Holland goes to the Swedish well often, and has signed a free agent for the Oilers from Vaxjo previously (Joel Persson). Persson did get an NHL look and was dealt to another organization for a second opinion when the one with the Oilers didn't bear fruit, so all in all think Holland did right by that free agent signing.

- The Lakers have plenty of Oilers connections. The aforementioned Persson, Toby Rieder, and Keegan Lowe play for Vaxjo.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I’d 100% sign him if he took league minimum. He talked about having a hard time playing Edmonton because he couldn’t get fired up against guys he was still close with, so I feel like he’d come back. The knock on him was the contract. He’s fine as a 4th liner if he wants to chase another cup.

We kind of knew that already. When Desharnais came in and played so solid, we suddenly stopped getting linked to Edmundson
Who is Lucic close to though? Pretty sure he burned any bridges for trying to project his own terrible leadership qualities onto others.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I understand that there are methods to alleviate salary, but those are some very optimistic assumptions that you can replace these types of players from within or via the UFA market with guys making close to league min.

I'm optimistic about guys like Holloway, Bourgault and Broberg. But I also understand that it takes time to get guys acclimated. Yamamoto is a prime example of how difficult it is to find consistency at the next level.

Personally I might be leaning towards the Debrusk treatment with Yamamoto, extending him at a lower cap hit, hoping to improve his value on the trade market. He's a guy that has averaged 16+ minutes a night the past few seasons.

The only player that would really have to be replaced in the market is Yamo, and there were numerous players last year that could have provided a similar contribution for cheaper. Impossible to know who will be available this off season, but if the cap is pretty much flat again there will be RFAs of reasonable quality that can be had for cheap.

I'm not pretending that all changes will fit like a glove, but to me it's worth it to have him on a value deal. The thought of trading him because he wants a long term deal because we aren't willing to move on from overpaid bit players to do it is just stupid to me.

OilynutEsquire

Sep 24, 2021
The only player that would really have to be replaced in the market is Yamo, and there were numerous players last year that could have provided a similar contribution for cheaper. Impossible to know who will be available this off season, but if the cap is pretty much flat again there will be RFAs of reasonable quality that can be had for cheap.

I'm not pretending that all changes will fit like a glove, but to me it's worth it to have him on a value deal. The thought of trading him because he wants a long term deal because we aren't willing to move on from overpaid bit players to do it is just stupid to me.

I think Janmark could replace him. Put Lavoie in the bottom 6 to start, move him up when he starts getting comfortable

Reactions: Faelko and K1984

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Would think Vladar will be available if they put Wolf in as backup or starter next year.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Need to resign Bukstadt.
Kulak I'm done with. He was good last year but not this year.
Yammo I was a big fan of but if he doesn't come through in these playoffs he should be gone.
Love to see an upgrade on right D and right wing.

Reactions: Duke74

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Need to resign Bukstadt.
Kulak I'm done with. He was good last year but not this year.
Yammo I was a big fan of but if he doesn't come through in these playoffs he should be gone.
Love to see an upgrade on right D and right wing.

I've liked Foegele in the second half but he might need to go to make room for Holloway, plus we might need the cap space. It's a lot to change after such a successful regular season, but it might be worth it to upgrade on Ceci and get a better winger for Drai. Probably depends on how the playoffs go.

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Drai - (New RW)
Holloway - McLeod - Lavoie/Bourgault
Kostin - Bjugstad - Ryan

Nurse - (New RD)
Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - Deshernais

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I've liked Foegele in the second half but he might need to go to make room for Holloway, plus we might need the cap space. It's a lot to change after such a successful regular season, but it might be worth it to upgrade on Ceci and get a better winger for Drai. Probably depends on how the playoffs go.

RNH - McDavid - Hyman
Kane - Drai - (New RW)
Holloway - McLeod - Lavoie/Bourgault
Kostin - Bjugstad - Ryan

Nurse - (New RD)
Ekholm - Bouchard
Broberg - Deshernais
I would resign Bjugstad, Ryan, Janmark but only at league minimu. Bjugstad I would give a bit for for but no higher than 1.2 prefer 1 mil max.

McCloud and Kostin yes to resign but can over pay them.

Reactions: MuzzaFuzza

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Im pretty sure Holland gows like this;

He doesnt want to much changes in a team, because its beyter for both the inviduals and the group when the team is intact- time has given everybody a role they are true at, and has grown into natrually - therefor he wont do a lot of changes.
BUT I think he goes as every other GM in that big pieces are more important to keep than minor(bottomb6/ 3rd pair D), therefor he will keep Campbell - he sees him as a quality talent, and probably a quality player. And fiest to gp are probably Fogele and Yamamoto then Kulak.

I dont personally agree here, as Fogele is a major part of that depth scoring, the best bottom 6:er actually. I hope he doesnt consider Yamamotos uoung age as a big asset, and actually trades him.

And I think keeping Campbell is the wrong move, when they lucked out on Skinner. Yes , 7,3 million on a goalie tandem is regularity in thisbleague. bUt when the No2 keeper is the most expensive - its horribly wrong! Then, even if its the negative side: trade him, and get cheaper.

I think he goes;

Out : Fogele, Yamamoto, Shore.
Resigned : Bouch, McLeod, Kostin, all AHLers. Ryan, and hopefully Janmark on a short deal similiar to this year. Bjugstad on a 2 million deal (cheaper than Fogele).
IN : A cheap RW, a cheap VET center, cheap VET winger.

Ekholm Bouch
Nurse Ceci
Kulak Broberg/VD

Nuge McD Hyman
Kane Leon new RW
Kostin McLeod Bjugstad
Holloway VetC Janmark
Ryan
Vet Winger

They could flush Bjugstad for Fogele as well. Its 50/50, but being short of RWs, I think its wiser to keep Bjugstad.
But Fogele is an asset, so it aint easy.

Reactions: McDoused

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
It helps, but Skinner's raise alone takes up a lot of that. Bouch needs an extension, and the entire bottom six outside of Foegele is up for renewal. It's going to be a tight year.

Klef is huge though. That changes how we can approach the trade deadline next summer. There's also no urgency to spend to the very last dollar in the summer.
Whats the big deal about having LTIR come off the books, again?

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Whats the big deal about having LTIR come off the books, again?

Deadline additions are prorated to their remaining games and not their total cap hit.

EG: Ekholm makes 6M per but would have cost 2M on our cap if we weren't in LTIR. Instead we had to find ways to open up 7M to add him and Bjugstad. Which came in the form of Tyson Barrie and Jesse Puljujarvi.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Because it's how his contract and the CBA works. So he'll likely have an excellent shot to make the team. He's also played well enough the latter half of this season to get a true NHL look.
The safe way is to send him down to Bakersfield, almost no matter what. If he scores a lot in diffrent ways, and showing impact in othee areas - then he stays up. We know the formula now.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Deadline additions are prorated to their remaining games and not their total cap hit.

EG: Ekholm makes 6M per but would have cost 2M on our cap if we weren't in LTIR. Instead we had to find ways to open up 7M to add him and Bjugstad. Which came in the form of Tyson Barrie and Jesse Puljujarvi.

Yep this is where the Oilers are going to be better next year, at the deadline. It's likely that we start the season with younger guys trying to prove themselves (Broberg, Holloway, Lavoie, etc.) but then load up at the deadline if they underperform like this year.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who is Lucic close to though? Pretty sure he burned any bridges for trying to project his own terrible leadership qualities onto others.
IF the leadership group would want him back I would take him on a 1 or 2 year cheap deal for our 4th line.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
Ceci and Kulak out in offseason, Broberg steps in for Kulak and use the extra money on a better partner for Nurse.

Yamamoto out, try one of our youngsters in the top 6 throughout the season and if none of them stick bring in a top 6 at TDL.

Try to move Campbell.

Reactions: Duke74

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Ceci and Kulak out in offseason, Broberg steps in for Kulak and use the extra money on a better partner for Nurse.

Yamamoto out, try one of our youngsters in the top 6 throughout the season and if none of them stick bring in a top 6 at TDL.

Try to move Campbell.
I agree with Yamo out. I really think Connor Brown on a cheap show-me deal makes sense.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
I agree with Yamo out. I really think Connor Brown on a cheap show-me deal makes sense.

I'd be absolutely shocked if Connor Brown isn't an Oiler next season. There was a lot of smoke around us acquiring him from Ottawa last off-season, he plays RW which is our weakest forward position, he should be cheap coming off of a major injury and he played junior with McDavid.

It's like all the stars have aligned.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
IF the leadership group would want him back I would take him on a 1 or 2 year cheap deal for our 4th line.
He can't really play anymore, at least at the level that would help the team. He fit the Flames style but would not work for the Oilers. You don't need his physical side which would be nearly useless in the role he would have. I'd much rather use the spot on a young guy who is hungry or a vet with a lot more game left.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Try to move Campbell.
Keep ceci, as a #4 he is an excellent physichal defensive D, what you need in this league. He wasnt just made as a #2D. Keepers keep.
Kulak could be traded if holland want desperatly cutting cap.
Yamamoto + Kulak is 5,8 million freed up. Its worth to try Broberg as a #5 even if a doubt he can handle it.
Probably just one of Bjugstad and Fogele stays as well.
Holloway is forced to take a spot , and Lavoie will get chances, but... as stated I doubt Holland gives more than 9 games to Lavoie.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad