Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Trade Deadline Has Come & Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
We have about 8.5M in cap space with everything off the books. We have Bouchard, McLeod, Bjudstad, Janmark, Ryan, Shore and Kostin to re-sign. It's very possible to sign majority of them, and still have some cap left for the Trade Deadline (maybe 1-2M left), but I imagine the Oilers will make a couple of trades to free up some cap and upgrade where they can, as you saw what Holland did with Ekholm and Bjudstad at the deadline.

The other factor is the guys coming up from the farm.

Holloway as played 51 NHL games now and didn't look too out of place by the end of his stint with the Oilers. Probably time to pencil him in the big club full time.

Lavoie needs waivers if he was to return to Bakersfield and that probably means he's on team unless his training camp is a disaster.

That's 2 slots on the Oilers that's already spoken for by these two players and they both make under a million. We probably have a little more wiggle room under the cap to resign our remaining players.

Reactions: InTheBox

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
The other factor is the guys coming up from the farm.

Holloway as played 51 NHL games now and didn't look too out of place by the end of his stint with the Oilers. Probably time to pencil him in the big club full time.

Lavoie needs waivers if he was to return to Bakersfield and that probably means he's on team unless his training camp is a disaster.

That's 2 slots on the Oilers that's already spoken for by these two players and they both make under a million. We probably have a little more wiggle room under the cap to resign our remaining players.

Why would Lavoie need waivers?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Why would Lavoie need waivers?

Because it's how his contract and the CBA works. So he'll likely have an excellent shot to make the team. He's also played well enough the latter half of this season to get a true NHL look.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
We have about 8.5M in cap space with everything off the books. We have Bouchard, McLeod, Bjudstad, Janmark, Ryan, Shore and Kostin to re-sign. It's very possible to sign majority of them, and still have some cap left for the Trade Deadline (maybe 1-2M left), but I imagine the Oilers will make a couple of trades to free up some cap and upgrade where they can, as you saw what Holland did with Ekholm and Bjudstad at the deadline.

How much are you expecting the cap to go up? (based on your 8.5M estimate)

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Broberg Is a great SHL/ECHL PP QB and was starting to figure it out in the AHL. He’s a long ways from an NHL QB, and frankly I don’t think he’ll ever be one with his shooting ability being what it is. He might be able to QB the Coyotes to a 29th ranked PP in 10 years. Definitely not going to be keeping a 32% PP rolling.

Lets get one thing straight ... none of Barrie or Bouchard or Ekholm "QB" our PP. McDavid and RNH and Draisaitl take turns QBing it with McDavid being the primary QB.

That's the reality.

The job of the point D is really to just cycle the puck from the right to left or vice versa so that McDavid/Drai/RNH can get a different look if need be and/or the cross seam pass is not available. Even Broberg could be taught to do this.

That's basically all. Any shot/goal from the point is just like gravy, that's it.

Reactions: Homesick

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

Because it's how his contract and the CBA works. So he'll likely have an excellent shot to make the team. He's also played well enough the latter half of this season to get a true NHL look.

Ah I had him as a different type of signing.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Here's a wild thought ... but if Pittsburgh has another down year next year, I can see the Oilers pursuing Sidney Crosby (salary retained) at the trade deadline next year if he wants to go somewhere else. I think he and Connor want to play together.

Reactions: nally

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Lets get one thing straight ... none of Barrie or Bouchard or Ekholm "QB" our PP. McDavid and RNH and Draisaitl take turns QBing it with McDavid being the primary QB.

That's the reality.

The job of the point D is really to just cycle the puck from the right to left or vice versa so that McDavid/Drai/RNH can get a different look if need be and/or the cross seam pass is not available.

That's basically all. Any shot/goal from the point is just like gravy, that's it.

I think the playmaking aspect of playing that high point is underrated, you want that player contributing to increasing scoring pressure and that only happens if that player is a quick thinker and efficient decision maker. Klefbom was a very cerebral player there and distributed the puck efficiently. Barrie had his talents (on ice chemistry is a strong component here). Bouchard has natural abilities for both passing and shooting and can be patient and deliberate with the puck when needed.

Having a big shot can be a critical threat too when PKs really crowd the netfront, which we have run up against at times. Bouch can sift shots through, as could Barrie, but he can also unleash punishing bombs a la Klefbom that make defenders think twice about what theyre sticking in lanes, and break sticks and fingers when they do.

However I think the single most critical aspect for our PP sticking over 30% is the best-ever puck recapture and zone keeping. Almost every opportunity that doesnt result in a goal, save, or deflectiom out of play winds up being recycled quickly into another scoring chance or cycle. Anticipating the play and getting quickly to pucks is important, as well as quickly retrieving and breaking back out when the puck is cleared. Bouchard is one of the better D in the league at finding stretch passes when theyre available, and has many other talents that we have yet to see fully utilized on the PP. Chemistry is still at a nascent stage but he is already effective.

I dont believe just anyone can contribute in that position, and while a modestly capable player may be able to tread water just by moving pucks along as they come their way, we have seen guys struggle there (including Barrie when he first arrived) allowing way too many zone clears, bobbling pucks while last man back, and forcing opportunities that arent there when patience would have sufficed to create a good scoring threat.

Anyway, I think overall the PP can suffer if the player in that position is bad and can thrive possibly even beyond what we've seen if that player is excellent. We'll see what happens as chemistry and confidence continue to build for Bouchard. Would not at all be interested in taking a step backward to Broberg who at times struggles with the simplest aspects of the game.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think the playmaking aspect of playing that high point is underrated, you want that player contributing to increasing scoring pressure and that only happens if that player is a quick thinker and efficient decision maker. Klefbom was a very cerebral player there and distributed the puck efficiently. Barrie had his talents (on ice chemistry is a strong component here). Bouchard has natural abilities for both passing and shooting and can be patient and deliberate with the puck when needed.

Having a big shot can be a critical threat too when PKs really crowd the netfront, which we have run up against at times. Bouch can sift shots through, as could Barrie, but he can also unleash punishing bombs a la Klefbom that make defenders think twice about what theyre sticking in lanes, and break sticks and fingers when they do.

However I think the single most critical aspect for our PP sticking over 30% is the best-ever puck recapture and zone keeping. Almost every opportunity that doesnt result in a goal, save, or deflectiom out of play winds up being recycled quickly into another scoring chance or cycle. Anticipating the play and getting quickly to pucks is important, as well as quickly retrieving and breaking back out when the puck is cleared. Bouchard is one of the better D in the league at finding stretch passes when theyre available, and has many other talents that we have yet to see fully utilized on the PP. Chemistry is still at a nascent stage but he is already effective.

I dont believe just anyone can contribute in that position, and while a modestly capable player may be able to tread water just by moving pucks along as they come their way, we have seen guys struggle there (including Barrie when he first arrived) allowing way too many zone clears, bobbling pucks while last man back, and forcing opportunities that arent there when patience would have sufficed to create a good scoring threat.

Anyway, I think overall the PP can suffer if the player in that position is bad and can thrive possibly even beyond what we've seen if that player is excellent. We'll see what happens as chemistry and confidence continue to build for Bouchard. Would not at all be interested in taking a step backward to Broberg who at times struggles with the simplest aspects of the game.

I don't buy it, to be honest. People were ripping me for saying losing Barrie would have no impact on the PP and lo and behold it basically has not.

The point player on the PP isn't even there to shoot, we don't want the point to shoot too much because it's a lower percentage play. You just need to be there to be the umbrella guy at the top when the cross seam is not available for Connor or Leon or Nuge. The PP really is "just get the puck to Connor or Leon and get the f*** out of their way". When McDavid/Drai have the puck on their stick, the chances of scoring a goal exponentially go through the roof and they play east-west on the PP pretty much exclusively. When Barrie/Bouchard have the puck on their stick the chances of a goal go way down, as such you want to keep their time with the puck down.

And really the only other reason a D is even on our PP is just in case we need a D to go back and defend.

That's really the only reason they're there, otherwise we probably would be tempted to just run 5 forwards.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Toews not returning to Chicago.

Are we finally in a position where we can get a veteran player to come in and sign for cheap looking for another Cup run? I can imagine him fititng into the bottom 6 nicely and bringing leadership.

Toews is interesting. Gut feeling tells me that he might just retire.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
I don't buy it, to be honest. People were ripping me for saying losing Barrie would have no impact on the PP and lo and behold it basically has not.

The point player on the PP isn't even there to shoot, we don't want the point to shoot too much because it's a lower percentage play. You just need to be there to be the umbrella guy at the top when the cross seam is not available for Connor or Leon or Nuge. The PP really is "just get the puck to Connor or Leon and get the f*** out of their way". When McDavid/Drai have the puck on their stick, the chances of scoring a goal exponentially go through the roof and they play east-west on the PP pretty much exclusively. When Barrie/Bouchard have the puck on their stick the chances of a goal go way down, as such you want to keep their time with the puck down.

And really the only other reason a D is even on our PP is just in case we need a D to go back and defend.

That's really the only reason they're there, otherwise we probably would be tempted to just run 5 forwards.

Well, I certainly wasnt disagreeing with you about Barrie, but apparently it was for a different reason.

I think Bouchard has offensive IQ through the roof and is richly talented in a number of ways, so I thought Bouchard would ultimately be the superior PP player to Barrie once acclimated to the role.

You think anybody could do it. (insert Giancarlo Esposito meme)

We've seen this PP operate at 25% and we've seen it operate at 35%. Thats with all the elite forwards in the same spots and roles.

I think the point guy/puck retriever is good for at least a 5% swing in PP efficacy over time, if not more. I think its an underrated position, you think its an overrated position.

Personally I think the netfront guy is the most transferable, we've seen Chiasson and Neal and Pulju put up better scoring rates there than Hyman or Kane. Outside of the occassional super elite guy like Ryan Smyth there is little to be gained there by adding skill and talent.

Running Nuge/Drai/McD is apparently good for something like a 25% floor which is great. But to get up to higher levels you need the other guys contributing, especially when teams crowd out the netfront, standard zone entries, and eliminate cross seam passes. Which is something all the elite teams will do against us in the playoffs.

Reactions: Biltmore

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well, I certainly wasnt disagreeing with you about Barrie, but apparently it was for a different reason.

I think Bouchard has offensive IQ through the roof and is richly talented in a number of ways, so I thought Bouchard would ultimately be the superior PP player to Barrie once acclimated to the role.

You think anybody could do it. (insert Giancarlo Esposito meme)

We've seen this PP operate at 25% and we've seen it operate at 35%. Thats with all the elite forwards in the same spots and roles.

I think the point guy/puck retriever is good for at least a 5% swing in PP efficacy over time, if not more. I think its an underrated position, you think its an overrated position.

Personally I think the netfront guy is the most transferable, we've seen Chiasson and Neal and Pulju put up better scoring rates there than Hyman or Kane. Outside of the occassional super elite guy like Ryan Smyth there is little to be gained there by adding skill and talent.

The point D (Barrie, Bouchard, Ekholm) and net front guy (Chiasson, Neal, Hyman, Kane) are both replacable.

They're not there to make decisions with the puck or run the PP. McDavid/Drai/RNH run the show. Those other guys are just there to retrieve pucks and transfer the puck or screen the goalie/tap in netfront goals.

And that's fine. We want the puck to be on Bouchard and Hyman's stick as little as possible quite frankly, during the PP. Their no.1 job if they get the puck outside of a direct score now position is to look up and get the puck to McDavid/Drai/RNH, period.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I wonder how the Pens future would look if they had missed the playoffs last season when Malkin and Letang were UFAs instead of this season where they are now both locked up long term and on the wrong side of 35.

Would they have brought them back?

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Toews not returning to Chicago.

Are we finally in a position where we can get a veteran player to come in and sign for cheap looking for another Cup run? I can imagine him fititng into the bottom 6 nicely and bringing leadership.

I wonder if you could give him a contract in the Bergeron/Krejci model? His salary is 1 million, but then offer him saw 250k at 30/40/50/60 points, and 1 million if we win the cup. So he could potentially make 3 million, but we only have to fit a million under the cap for next year. Even if hit every bonus, his overage would essentially be covered by having a million dollar guy replace Foegele the following season

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I wonder how the Pens future would look if they had missed the playoffs last season when Malkin and Letang were UFAs instead of this season where they are now both locked up long term and on the wrong side of 35.

Would they have brought them back?
Would they have also went after the much older Petry? Invested long-term in Rakell as well. Also wasted a 2nd on Granlund at deadline who did nothing for them and has a couple more years left at 5mil?

Really have a lot invested on quite a few guys who's better years are behind them. And from what I've heard don't have much of a prospect pool coming up.

Quite the mess to figure out in Pittsburgh.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Honestly I don't know about Toews. For as a good as a leader he gets built up to be I don't know that we need him. The guy seems like a f***ing idiot when it comes to the CBA and escrow(thanks for the reminder @frag2 ). And I just don't know that his give a f*** meter is all there.

I sooner would've liked him at the deadline where the guy is just being brought in to help win, but a whole year I just don't know.

Reactions: frag2

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
I would be fine with Toews potentially coming here on a cheap 1-2 year deal. Guy knows how to win and would further help the players on this team especially the young ones. I feel like Keith would make a pitch for it imo.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Seravalli out there trying to troll Oilers fans talking about bridging or trading Bouchard. As if we would be clutching guys like Yams, Kulak and Ceci as indispensible and we couldn't ever find cap space for Bouch.

Reactions: Biltmore and Duke74

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So what would you send them? You think they’d take significantly less than they just spent for him? The ask would certainly be a 1st+. I’m not using that bullet on a bottom 6 player if I’m Holland.
I don't know how we can justify trading any good assets for bottom 6 players this summer.

They are probably going to try retain the guys we currently have and if one or two walk they'll probably just go back bargin bin shopping like they did last summer.

You'll also probably have Holloway on the roster next year and who knows who else makes a push between now and the start of next year.

Then if all else fails they look at a similar trade to Bjugstad.

Assets are going to need to be saved to try fill top 6 RW and potentially another RD.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Seravalli out there trying to troll Oilers fans talking about bridging or trading Bouchard. As if we would be clutching guys like Yams, Kulak and Ceci as indispensible and we couldn't ever find cap space for Bouch.
Yeah...Holloway could easily step into Yamo's spot. That's 2.17m in cap savings right there. Or you could just buyout Yamo's final year. Since he's a 1/3 buyout candidate, they would save 2.666m in cap next year. The cap hit the following year would only be 533k.

Reactions: Biltmore
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad