Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Trade Deadline Has Come & Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Well, Lucic and Sekera will finally be off the books this summer. That's 2.25 million freed. Klefbom's last year on LTIR as well. Only the Neal buyout remains at 1.9m for the next two seasons. How impactful is this for the team in the off-season? Or is it minimal?
Skinner's raise--about 1.8M.
Bouchard--probably add 3M on top of his entry level deal.
Kostin--probably add 500k on top of his current salary.
McLeod--probably add 500-700k.
Theoretically, they will be spending 6M more on these players.

If the cap rises by 1M and 2.25 from Lucic and Sekera. Maybe Ryan takes a slight paycut.
They still need to move out Yamamoto. Maybe Kulak or Foegele too, if they want to keep Janmark.

Reactions: Captain Fantastic

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Matthews is a shoot first player. Unless you are primarily a playmaker like Marner for instance, he isn't the greatest of linemate. We also have Lavoie and Bourgault coming down the pipeline and have to be mindful of cap space. May as well give Lavoie a shot, can't be much less productive than Yamamoto IMO.
So... no to Connor Brown? I'm not clear on your points. I just mentioned he played on a Leaf team with skill mentioning Matthews but could have gone down the list naming the other guys but didn't. Brown has played on offensive teams and with skill players and yet has the same career points average as Yamamoto, .48.

From my original post "Brown would be better than Yamamoto - likely - but think there could be better that shake loose this summer." I just don't think the player is a significant upgrade at 2RW especially as you note (and I did as well) younger, developing players like Kostin, Holloway, and Lavoie. Though I didn't name Bourgault because personally I think he's two years away from the NHL roster with the others more advanced in pro experience and mature physically.

I've always thought Yamamoto was more a 3W energy pest type player. Regardless of past linemates in their careers, I don't see Connor Brown as a significant upgrade option as a top 6 winger all things considered. Oil might opt for cheap internal talent from within and seek a piece at trade deadline if the consistency isn't there. Or, again, there might be a better wing option that views Edmonton as a team that can win while helping to produce individual stat lines as well. Course the Oilers management, coach and team leaders might decide they like Yamamoto where he plays.

Connor Brown playing with McDavid in Erie smells like those that guessed how Draisaitl and Reider would retain some magic connection from playing together like 8-10 years prior. Brown's a good utilitarian support player but lots of young, cheap options internally and I speculate better, higher end options that could shake out if the Oil determine they need to upgrade 2RW after this playoff run.

Reactions: Duke74

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
So... no to Connor Brown? I'm not clear on your points. I just mentioned he played on a Leaf team with skill mentioning Matthews but could have gone down the list naming the other guys but didn't. Brown has played on offensive teams and with skill players and yet has the same career points average as Yamamoto, .48.

From my original post "Brown would be better than Yamamoto - likely - but think there could be better that shake loose this summer." I just don't think the player is a significant upgrade at 2RW especially as you note (and I did as well) younger, developing players like Kostin, Holloway, and Lavoie. Though I didn't name Bourgault because personally I think he's two years away from the NHL roster with the others more advanced in pro experience and mature physically.

I've always thought Yamamoto was more a 3W energy pest type player. Regardless of past linemates in their careers, I don't see Connor Brown as a significant upgrade option as a top 6 winger all things considered. Oil might opt for cheap internal talent from within and seek a piece at trade deadline if the consistency isn't there. Or, again, there might be a better wing option that views Edmonton as a team that can win while helping to produce individual stat lines as well. Course the Oilers management, coach and team leaders might decide they like Yamamoto where he plays.

Connor Brown playing with McDavid in Erie smells like those that guessed how Draisaitl and Reider would retain some magic connection from playing together like 8-10 years prior. Brown's a good utilitarian support player but lots of young, cheap options internally and I speculate better, higher end options that could shake out if the Oil determine they need to upgrade 2RW after this playoff run.
Honestly I see just about anyone with skill and some size as an upgrade on Yamamoto in our top 6. Brown if healthy should be better than Yamamoto pretty clearly. We bet on Pulju and Yamamoto and lost those bets.

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
Yammamoto (3.1), Kulak (2.75) and a 2nd or b prospect for Tom Wilson. ( 5.1) saves us .75 mill as well.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Why would so many people want to get rid of Ceci? The guy has been terrific in his role. Makes less than 3.5 million for a couple more years. A similar player (No.3-4) would easily cost 4-4.5 for 5 on the open market.

I’m with you.

I think the issue was they had nobody else to play with Nurse and as the first pairing it wasn’t going well.

Then we traded for Ekholm, thus reducing the first pairing minutes and making them far more effective.

Ceci is at his best on a middle pairing and because he couldn’t hold his own on the top pairing before Ekholm people decided they were done with him.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Honestly I see just about anyone with skill and some size as an upgrade on Yamamoto in our top 6. Brown if healthy should be better than Yamamoto pretty clearly. We bet on Pulju and Yamamoto and lost those bets.
You're underrating Yamamoto if you're assuming that 'just about anyone with skill' would replace the 16+ minutes a night he has averaged in each of the past three seasons.

Holloway's year shows you how difficult it is for a rookie to carve a role out for himself on a competitive team. And I'd argue there's no one in our system that comes close to his offensive upside nor his physical preparedness.

We may have a handful of potential replacements in the coming years, but there's no guarantee that you're getting a 30-40 point a year forward right out of the gate. It's pretty unlikely in all honesty.

In regards to Lavoie, I'm not sure that the arrows point to him getting a big shot next season. With his waiver eligibility being a factor next season, normally he'd have a few NHL games under his belt. It would not surprise me if he was dealt.

Reactions: frag2 and Anarchism

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
From the thread on Erik Karlsson's value you would think that some Sharks fans believe they are on the cusp of contending. I've got some guy who calls Bourgault a B prospect, suggests that Kulak would not make their roster and that the only RHD Ceci could beat out with Karlsson gone might be Benning.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Why would so many people want to get rid of Ceci? The guy has been terrific in his role. Makes less than 3.5 million for a couple more years. A similar player (No.3-4) would easily cost 4-4.5 for 5 on the open market.

I don’t get it either. I’m a firm believer that you don’t deal any player who’s underpaid. Sure he was better last year than this year, but he’s still good. Everyone seems to want another legit top pairing guy to play with Nurse, but most teams aren’t Nashville where you can have 3 top pairing dmen.

Yammamoto (3.1), Kulak (2.75) and a 2nd or b prospect for Tom Wilson. ( 5.1) saves us .75 mill as well.

It doesn’t save us anything because you have 2 players going out and 1 coming back with a difference of less than league minimum.

From the thread on Erik Karlsson's value you would think that some Sharks fans believe they are on the cusp of contending. I've got some guy who calls Bourgault a B prospect, suggests that Kulak would not make their roster and that the only RHD Ceci could beat out with Karlsson gone might be Benning.

They were 2 points from finishing dead last because they can’t defend to save their lives and they think their defense is good? Ceci legitimately might be their 2nd best dman

Reactions: McDoused

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You're underrating Yamamoto if you're assuming that 'just about anyone with skill' would replace the 16+ minutes a night he has averaged in each of the past three seasons.

Holloway's year shows you how difficult it is for a rookie to carve a role out for himself on a competitive team. And I'd argue there's no one in our system that comes close to his offensive upside nor his physical preparedness.

We may have a handful of potential replacements in the coming years, but there's no guarantee that you're getting a 30-40 point a year forward right out of the gate. It's pretty unlikely in all honesty.

In regards to Lavoie, I'm not sure that the arrows point to him getting a big shot next season. With his waiver eligibility being a factor next season, normally he'd have a few NHL games under his belt. It would not surprise me if he was dealt.
Skill and size. Yamamoto is a vanilla player making $3.1 million a year. Holloway would have better numbers if he got the same push that Yamamoto had. So would Kostin, Bjugstad and even Foegele.

• Love

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Skill and size. Yamamoto is a vanilla player making $3.1 million a year. Holloway would have better numbers if he got the same push that Yamamoto had. So would Kostin, Bjugstad and even Foegele.
giphy.gif

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Yamamoto is undersized, injury prone and often snake-bit, but vanilla? No. He's a demon on the forecheck. He takes more pucks away on the forecheck than ANYONE on the team. Probably has the best stick for deflections too. As a matter of chemistry, Yamamoto has been Draisaitl's all-time best RW.

Foegele is a 3W, Holloway is young and may be better soon and Kostin? Well, Klim just went cold. Hard to push a guy who wasn't effective enough to stay in the line-up over Devon Shore until two weeks ago.

Reactions: guymez and Oilhawks

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
They'll be contending for the bottom for the next couple years at least.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Point is the Oil should aim higher than Brown and a Yamamoto level player to fill 2RW. Though Brown did play seasons with Maple Leaf core players Matthews et all so not that he's been on plumber crack teams his whole career. Coming off this regular season, the Oil will be an attractive option if they want to upgrade 2RW and wingers are the easiest position to find. Pretty easy sell job ... hey come play with McDavid and Nugent Hopkins or how about Draisaitl and Kane.
The Oilers don't have the money for that, to bring in a legit #2RW. They have five 1st line players in the top 6 so they just need somebody moderately capable of playing with skill to round out the top 6 at a lesser rate than $3m/yr.

The Oilers have been connected to Brown, he's coming off of an injury so he'll be cheap and he has history with the captain. Seems like a natural fit to get a similar or, IMO, better player than Yamamoto for cheaper to fill his role. Brown is essentially a slightly lesser Hyman, or at least the Toronto version of Hyman.

Reactions: Fourier

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I don’t get it either. I’m a firm believer that you don’t deal any player who’s underpaid. Sure he was better last year than this year, but he’s still good. Everyone seems to want another legit top pairing guy to play with Nurse, but most teams aren’t Nashville where you can have 3 top pairing dmen.

It doesn’t save us anything because you have 2 players going out and 1 coming back with a difference of less than league minimum.

They were 2 points from finishing dead last because they can’t defend to save their lives and they think their defense is good? Ceci legitimately might be their 2nd best dman
There is a thing called the salary cap. I guess one can have 3 top pairing d-men, but one would have to say goodbye to Draisaitl or any two of RNH/Hyman/Kane.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Oilers don't have the money for that, to bring in a legit #2RW. They have five 1st line players in the top 6 so they just need somebody moderately capable of playing with skill to round out the top 6 at a lesser rate than $3m/yr.

The Oilers have been connected to Brown, he's coming off of an injury so he'll be cheap and he has history with the captain. Seems like a natural fit to get a similar or, IMO, better player than Yamamoto for cheaper to fill his role. Brown is essentially a slightly lesser Hyman, or at least the Toronto version of Hyman.
We don't know what the market will be this summer, free agent or trade. We don't know how the Oilers might shave salary around the edges of their roster with players like Ryan, Shore, Janmark and Bjugstad as UFA's. There's often attrition in roster change with some possibility support players like Foegele and Yamamoto upfront and Kulak on the backend with cheap pedigree options percolating. The Oiler connection to Brown was a speculated by Ottawa as a Foegele for Brown trade (underperforming premium price bottom six for a player that Ottawa wanted to move). Puljujarvi was also floating around summer rumours and Kassian dealt at the draft. Ottawa opted for the lottery ticket from Washington.

Holland's shown ability to create cap space off-season to improve this roster and just did it again in a big way this trade deadline. Pretending to know what Holland has planned or that a roster next season can be cast in cement today is a fool's errand. There will be a lot to unpack through this playoff to consider what this roster has and will need as hopeful finishing pieces to a strong, deep team with some pedigree, cheap contract young players that are beginning to onboard in support roles. Brown is good character support player. Hyman light? Don't know about that. Hyman's 6'1" 211 pound physical force. Brown's listed as 6' 181 pounds. His career production is good. Not great. Cheap contract... maybe ... but there's no certainty after a major injury this player or any player won't look to maximize their earnings. So does this team tie itself to term for an age 30 winger with younger and cheaper on the near horizon?

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
I agree with him. Holloway is a better player than Yamo right now and if given top 6 minutes for a handful of games to get acclimated he would be an awesome addition. Kunitz kind of guy.
Still raw. That said, I will be surprised if he's not on the opening day roster next season. They may also sing some cheap vets. Even somebody like Phill Kessel could be an upgrade on Yamamoto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad