Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | The Trade Deadline Has Come & Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Seravalli out there trying to troll Oilers fans talking about bridging or trading Bouchard. As if we would be clutching guys like Yams, Kulak and Ceci as indispensible and we couldn't ever find cap space for Bouch.
It's not trolling, The Oilers can't afford to sign him long term unless they move some serious cap and Bouchard might not even want to sign long term because he knows that he's going to get an enormous contract 2-3 years from now after 2-3 years of playing Oilers top PP unit and playing alongside Ekholm, not to mention in a higher cap landscape. In fact, he'd be foolish to take a long term deal now tbh so a bridge seems like the only path at this point.

The trade scenario Seravelli pointed out is if the Oilers don't want to meet his demands on a long term deal. Of course that's an extremely remote possibility. The Oilers will bridge him then pay for it later but "later" doesn't mean much now so...so be it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I for one have no idea why there is any talk of signing/trading guys in the media lol

We are literally going into the playoffs with the best roster we've had in I don't even know how many years.

The focus should be talking about the playoff run, because at the end of the day what we do in the playoffs is going to give Holland a blueprint to the strengths and flaws of this team and what he needs to focus on going forward.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Oh good, this incredibly stupid tactic again.

Clear the space to get him on a long term deal.
No, get him on his bridge for 2 years, have him massively out perform the cap hit and use the other cap space wisely to shore up the rest of the team.

It makes SO much sense when you consider the window.

Reactions: McDoused

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Oh good, this incredibly stupid tactic again.

Clear the space to get him on a long term deal.
Clear which space? To improve as a team, you need to add, not subtract quality depth.

By the time Bouchard's bridge contract would be up, odds are the cap significantly increases.

Reactions: joestevens29

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Friedman's 32 thoughts blog suggests that Woodcroft's trust in Desharnais nixed a deadline deal. Have to think that we probably saved our 2nd not trading for Radko Gudas.

He also mentions Evan Vierling, who I'll take a closer look at in Barrie's next series. Maybe a potential C prospect who might make up for not signing Brind'amour.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Clear which space? To improve as a team, you need to add, not subtract quality depth.

By the time Bouchard's bridge contract would be up, odds are the cap significantly increases.
Even if you deem certain guys overpaid and want them gone, that money is better off being used on guys to help us now.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

There are levers to pull.

Replace Yamamoto (via buyout or trade) with a $1M scoring winger that have been available in droves the past few off seasons (think Sonny Milano type). Or try Lavoie. Yamamoto has been playing at or below this quality this season when he's actually been healthy.

If Foegele keeps up his level of play in the playoffs he'll likely be tradebale - Holloway is an easy replacement there

Kulak is likely tradeable - Broberg replaces.

All of those together would create in the range of $4M in space without materially impacting the team. The only current weaknesses I really see with the roster are #1 RD (although Ceci is purportedly injured, not a problem if he gets back to last year's level) and #2 RW, so it isn't like we're forgoing improving the team to get Bouchard on a longer term deal.

Reactions: Duke74

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No, get him on his bridge for 2 years, have him massively out perform the cap hit and use the other cap space wisely to shore up the rest of the team.

It makes SO much sense when you consider the window.
What's the window? Are we assuming that Draisaitl and McDavid are as good as gone when they are UFA?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What's the window? Are we assuming that Draisaitl and McDavid are as good as gone when they are UFA?
I look at the support cast a lot too.

How long are the support cast going to continue to be as great as they are? RNH, Kane, Hyman, Ekholm, all 30+

Need to capitalize these next few years while there is seemingly a winning formula with a group of guys that work well.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I look at the support cast a lot too.

How long are the support cast going to continue to be as great as they are? RNH, Kane, Hyman, Ekholm, all 30+

Need to capitalize these next few years while there is seemingly a winning formula with a group of guys that work well.
As those guys age we will have some great young guys coming up. Broberg, Bourgault, Holloway, McLeod. We can continue to add as well

Our window is open as long as McDavid and Drai are still elite.

Reactions: Biltmore

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
I think a bridge is the safest bet for a d who needs babysitting to reach their potential. Just don't throw a 2 million overpay at them when it's time to settle up...

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

I think you could move on from Yams, Ceci/Kulak and Shore pretty easily to clear up some space

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
We aren't assuming that, but winning is very hard and if you have a way to make that more feasible, you have to take that chance. Getting Bouchard on a deal that he will fully out perform will make the rest of the team better (assuming the cap space is used correctly).

Reactions: Quokka

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Honest question, is there an appetite for signing Lucic at $1M this off-season to play a 4th line role?

I’d 100% sign him if he took league minimum. He talked about having a hard time playing Edmonton because he couldn’t get fired up against guys he was still close with, so I feel like he’d come back. The knock on him was the contract. He’s fine as a 4th liner if he wants to chase another cup.

Friedman's 32 thoughts blog suggests that Woodcroft's trust in Desharnais nixed a deadline deal. Have to think that we probably saved our 2nd not trading for Radko Gudas.

He also mentions Evan Vierling, who I'll take a closer look at in Barrie's next series. Maybe a potential C prospect who might make up for not signing Brind'amour.

We kind of knew that already. When Desharnais came in and played so solid, we suddenly stopped getting linked to Edmundson

Despote

Mar 21, 2023
I'm getting so excited for the playoffs. I truly feel this is the year the Oilers break through and win the Cup. I just don't see this team and McDavid being denied.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Absolutely not. Kostin is a better player, can skate and isn't a dickhead in the room. That guy can sign a retirement deal in Calgary or Vancouver.

If I was Lucic I'd probably sign in Boston for the league min, but I think his family has a home in the LA area and maybe LA or Anaheim would take him for low money.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
We aren't assuming that, but winning is very hard and if you have a way to make that more feasible, you have to take that chance. Getting Bouchard on a deal that he will fully out perform will make the rest of the team better (assuming the cap space is used correctly).
To me that doesn't mean making decisions for the short term unless they are the deadline type deals. If it is a core player, you save money in the long run by avoiding the bridge deals.

Not only that but the bridge deal ends at the worst possible time: the years when we have to find money to re sign McDavid and Draisaitl. Part of keeping them means having a great team that they want to stay a part of. Having to walk from Bouchard or other players doesn't help that

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I want zero part of Lucic.

- Still thinks he's good and somehow still hasn't been used strictly in a 4th line bit role so there's risk of pouting

- He can't do anything with the puck

- He's the type of player that gets more ice than he should because of reputation, results be damned

- He was a petulant little bitch last time he was here and polished Flame knob when he left. Also have heard anecdotally that he still hates the Oilers.

Risk of being a little baby in the dressing room, except with pretty much zero chance of reward.

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
How much of an upgrade on ceci are Severson or Dumba really going to be?
These guys are probably going to be looking for longer term deals in the 5+ range. I’m not sure if they’re going to be enough of an upgrade to warrant spending the extra money on.

Ceci’s contract is terrific value for what he brings and we’re not tied to him into his mid/late 30’s
I would not pay for Dumba unless he comes at a discount, how much of will it cost to up grade on Ceci.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad