Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Perry an Oiler | Mod Warning Post #1953

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Alright well don't be surprised when Kulak is moved at the deadline, it's the logical play. He's starting to appear on trade boards for a reason. Now is exactly the time to move him. As I stated already, if you want to make the team better (like all the other contenders) you need to move cap space out. That means Kulak, Ceci or Campbell is getting traded.

Kulak is a luxury that is easily replaced. Right now you could go get Mike Reilly from the islanders or another #5 #6 defenceman to replace Kulak at a fraction of the price. Kulak has been playing 14 minutes a night this year. He hasn't looked very good most nights. He can't make plays under coffeys system. It's pretty sad when he has to rely on desharnais to do it for him. Desharnais makes less than an quarter of what he does.

Even if we sit on our hands we would have to move Kulak during the offseason so at this point we might as well get Broberg up and get him reps. Obviously you still want to go out and do other moves to improve. We need the cap space somehow.
The time to trade him was probably in the summer when he was coming off of a strong playoff run and the Oilers would've had an opportunity to add cheap supporting depth.

Many fans romanticize 'strong' play from depth players and assume that'll be the norm. Fact of the matter is that a lot of these players are limited in terms of skill and consistency and it's likely they go through periods of poor play. It's tough to move a $3m player with term when their production is dipping.

Reactions: McDoused and Faelko

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I doubt Boqvist gets that. But Boqvist was a former 1st round pick, playing top pair minutes, and PP time to inflate his sexy stats. So if some think he’s worth a 1st I could totally see that. That’s not the same as what Ceci presents though. Really if you made a 1st for Ceci proposal on the mains the proposal would get laughed at, half the posters would say he’s a cap dump (not true), the other half probably doesn’t offer anything. A reasonable poster might come at you with a 5th round pick but I bet that doesn’t even happen. Dumba is washed too, and by reports he hasn’t even been good in Arizona and he hasn’t been good for awhile.
Doesn't matter what anyone thing Ceci value is he isn't being moved unless it for a clear up grade on him.If it is someone that is around Ceci level he would be added to what already have.

Reactions: Homesick

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
So Stauffer is still pounding the Limdholm drum? That's definitely an interesting ome as it would be an all in move for someone thag will walk as a UFA. Apparently the offer he floated around was:

1st
Bourgault
Kulak

for

Lindholm (50% retained)

My initial thoughts are that I'd rather keep McDrai separated in the playoffs and paying that price for Lindholm to be a 3C for 30 games doesn't seem worth the cost.
It has been reported that the Flames owner doesn't want a trade with in the division so Lindholm is out.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
There was a thread last playoffs ( I think ) that tracked how much cap was dressed each game and only one time did a team go over the cap. Teams can only dress 20 players per game to complain about something, posters also add the cap numbers for players not playing. Some might say that is neither here nor there but I believe that when talking about the cap--you can only factor in those on the ice and not those in street clothes. All team carry extra players in the playoffs and if you factor in their caps? I would have 3/4 of the teams are over the limit

Of course its still a major advantage to have a bullpen full of star players instead of AHL caliber scrubs, its still a major advantage to have tons of options, and still a major advantage to have guys rested who didnt have to grind 100 games to get to the finals, etc

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Seems like a waste when you can just use the assets and cap space you spent to acquire and fit Provorov on the bottom pairing to get an upgrade at right defense.
RD is just harder to come by. I also ready somewhere that Provorov cap hit was lower than it is. So he is out. I should know better than taking an HF posters word on something.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Doesn't matter what anyone thing Ceci value is he isn't being moved unless it for a clear up grade on him.If it is someone that is around Ceci level he would be added to what already have.
With LA free falling wonder if Doughty to Edmonton becomes a possibility.

Doughty at 50% is 5.5M

Ceci+Kulak out Doughty+Broberg in would be close to a wash cap wise.
A whole lot of sweetners would need to be attached for LA to help out divisional rival

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Way LA played last night, I can see Blake doing something to shake things up.
Like I said to Helene Elliott on Twitter, what will fix everything this the Kings trading Kaliyev for Jack Campbell

Doughty at 50% is 5.5M

A whole lot of sweetners would need to be attached for LA to help out divisional rival
I would do this forever

• Haha
Reactions: McDoused and McDrai

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

Doughty at 50% is 5.5M

LA isn’t going to pay half of his salary for 4 seasons to play for us.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Take it for what it's worth, but he did break Perry

Henrique would certainly be a nice get. I defintiely believe a middle 6 C is better for the playoff run than another winger. If you rock McDavid, Drai, Henrique down the middle, you have Hyman, Kane, Nuge, Foegele, McLeod, Holloway, Brown, Perry, Gagner as winger options. There's no shortage.

Henrique can also play 2C if you want to do the nuclear top line option with McLeod at 3C.

Reactions: McDoused

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
LA isn’t going to pay half of his salary for 4 seasons to play for us.
Depends on the direction LA is going and how much they are willing to accommodate Doughty and his cup aspirations. NSH is paying portion of Ekholms salary to play for us. This would be similar.
No contender can afford to add 11M contract so retention would be needed wherever he goes. Easy pass for us without retention with us needing to sign Bouchard, Drai and McD

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It has been reported that the Flames owner doesn't want a trade with in the division so Lindholm is out.
Such a bad way of thinking. You take the best offer no matter which team it is. If we weren’t making the playoffs I wouldn’t care if we traded a good UFA to Calgary if it was the best return.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Who out there is so much better than Pickard and cheap enough or worth sacrificing depth in other positions for?

Buy him out this summer. He's too fragile. It was a risky gamble and Holland lost hard. Buy out is the best option at this point, but I think that will be up to Jeff Jackson
I'd look to swing a deal for Duclair + Blackwood involving Campbell and whatever assets it took. But that's just me and if you disagree I can understand why.

Edit: Also understand nobody being interested in taking Campbell without a bunch and it's probably not possible. So in a way I agree with you, but a little bit of depth at the deadline is going to help with inevitable bumps and bruises

Last edited:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I mean ya that was bad but that still wouldn’t be near as bad as trading your best d-man to a division rival and paying half his salary for 4 seasons.
You say but, PLD has 10 goals and 20 pts with a -15 in 46 games as the Kings plummet. Gabe vilardi (just one of the pieces) has 11 goals and 20 pts in 26 games and is +18 while the Jets lead their division.

Add to that 7 more years at $8.5M, I'm absolutely convinced you could convince Blake to trade doughty to the Oilers with a retention.

Probably not 50%, but you could get him to eat some

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Depends on the direction LA is going and how much they are willing to accommodate Doughty and his cup aspirations. NSH is paying portion of Ekholms salary to play for us. This would be similar.
No contender can afford to add 11M contract so retention would be needed wherever he goes. Easy pass for us without retention with us needing to sign Bouchard, Drai and McD
Similar?! Nashville is retaining 250k.

I doubt Doughty wants to go anywhere and even if he does the LA kings aren’t going to completely fire bomb themselves to make it happen. It’s ridiculous.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
You say but, PLD has 10 goals and 20 pts with a -15 in 46 games as the Kings plummet. Gabe vilardi (just one of the pieces) has 11 goals and 20 pts in 26 games and is +18 while the Jets lead their division.

Add to that 7 more years at $8.5M, I'm absolutely convinced you could convince Blake to trade doughty to the Oilers with a retention.

Probably not 50%, but you could get him to eat some
I don’t know why you are trying to convince me it’s a bad trade. I know... I hate PLD. That was a swing and it missed. (At least for now)

This ridiculous trade proposal you guys are talking about isn’t even a swing. It’s purposely putting your face in front of a fast ball.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I don’t know why you are trying to convince me it’s a bad trade. I know... I hate PLD. That was a swing and it missed. (At least for now)

This ridiculous trade proposal you guys are talking about isn’t even a swing. It’s purposely putting your face in front of a fast ball.
Totally fair, just pointing out the Chiarelli in Blake's management style lol

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Doughty? 11M quickly-regressing Doughty who will have a bronze statue erected of himself in LA and who Blake is trying his hardest to squeeze the last years of his playing ability with retool after retool? Anyyyywayyys….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad