WC: 2024 Team USA

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
Hughes is a 20 year rookie of the year finalist. Much further along in defense and decision making than Quinn was at the same age. 98% of his peers will either be playing college or junior for another year or two...some of y'all need to put down whatever shit you be smoking lol...
Nobody is denying his skill or the fact he can be a good player though? That's pretty obvious. As obvious as him not playing great for most of that period. Take the blinders off and you'll be able to see that too.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Hughes is a 20 year rookie of the year finalist. Much further along in defense and decision making than Quinn was at the same age. 98% of his peers will either be playing college or junior for another year or two...some of y'all need to put down whatever shit you be smoking lol...

These have no bearing on his game today. If you play bad, you play bad.

Reactions: Summer Rose

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Nobody is denying his skill or the fact he can be a good player though? That's pretty obvious. As obvious as him not playing great for most of that period. Take the blinders off and you'll be able to see that too.
No blinders on at all, he has played what I have expected. A young offensive kid prone to mistakes. Let's stop f***ing pretending this doesn't happen to every elite young dman. Heard the same nonsense about his brother, it's almost like younger players need some time to mature out there...crazy thought eh??

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
No blinders on at all, he has played what I have expected. A young offensive kid prone to mistakes. Let's stop f***ing pretending this doesn't happen to every elite young dman. Heard the same nonsense about his brother, it's almost like younger players need some time to mature out there...crazy thought eh??

I don't get the vitriol. Young player, yes. Developing, yes. Playing well today, no.

It's not nonsense to suggest he's having a rough game, and has absolutely no bearing on his overall body of work.

Anyway, here's to a better period.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I don't get the vitriol. Young player, yes. Developing, yes. Playing well today, no.

It's not nonsense to suggest he's having a rough game, and has absolutely no bearing on his overall body of work.

Anyway, here's to a better period.
People can call out bad plays, no problem there, but also have to have realistic expectations on a 20 year old kid likely trying to do too much out there. I never said can't criticize but his play hasn't been poor, that is nonsense. Petry has been blahhh... He also is playing his off side but let's ignore that as well...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
--25 is -25. Who cares when it happens? That means he also allowed short-handed and empty net goals.

Watching video you'd see that many times those goals were directly related to his turnovers.

The Brendan Smith nonsense is a straw man that only the Devils' PR people and Luke apologists find relevant. It's just as likely Smith's numbers are the result of playing with Hughes.
You think being on the ice for 22 goals against when you have no goalie is relevant? Teams pull the goalie to take the chance to score, so players turn the puck over pretty often when they are trying to force offense. If he were a worse player, he'd have a much better +/- because he wouldn't be used in EN situations...

Why don't we just include include his +/- in all situations then? He was +17. That's just as ridiculous as using EN goals.

CornerStone61

Apr 13, 2015
People can call out bad plays, no problem there, but also have to have realistic expectations on a 20 year old kid likely trying to do too much out there. I never said can't criticize but his play hasn't been poor, that is nonsense. Petry has been blahhh... He also is playing his off side but let's ignore that as well...

Your post after he scored ended with:
some of y'all need to put down whatever shit you be smoking lol...

In response to people calling out some bad play during last period. That sure seems like an aversion to criticism.

I have zero attachment to the player whatsoever, I just call out what I observe, and that is that he had a rough period outside of his goal. If you say his play wasn't poor that period then I'd say you have troubles being objective but whatever.

I agree that Petry has looked very meh.
Anyway, I'm done with this argument, enjoy the rest of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad