Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Perry an Oiler | Mod Warning Post #1953

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Struddy was floating adding Anthony Duclair.

Cant see the acquisition cost from the Sharks being very high (pending UFA) although the Oilers would have to make room for about $1.5M for the remainder of the season.
His speed is very enticing and with burners like Holloway and McLeod in the bottom 6 adding in another speedy forward with an edge (who can score as well) would make the Oilers a much harder team to play against.

Yeh I heard that from Struddy last night, he was just spitballing, the Duke came up as an option around here a couple weeks back too. I like the idea of Drai playing with a burner, like how Drai always finds McD for breaks, maybe he could do the same for Duke.

But on the flip side, I listened to an interview with McCrimmon and he said he targeted Barbashev cause he was a player type they didn’t have on the team. Which I think has some sense. So in keeping with that logic, maybe we don’t need yet another Burner. And we need a player type we don’t have, thus enters the Sniper that is Tarasenko.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I doubt Boqvist gets that. But Boqvist was a former 1st round pick, playing top pair minutes, and PP time to inflate his sexy stats.

Leaving aside the Boqvist to the Oilers talk - which doesn't feel like a fit to me (I think Ceci is only really upgraded with a big defensively stout player like Tanev or Parayko) - Boqvist isn't inflated or pumped up to any degree. He's largely been scratched or on the third pair, not much PP time. In his games with Werenski though they've outscored opponents 9-3 as a duo. With results like that, they should be pumping up Boqvist, but they're not.

Yeh I heard that from Struddy last night, he was just spitballing, the Duke came up as an option around here a couple weeks back too. I like the idea of Drai playing with a burner, like how Drai always finds McD for breaks, maybe he could do the same for Duke.

But on the flip side, I listened to an interview with McCrimmon and he said he targeted Barbashev cause he was a player type they didn’t have on the team. Which I think has some sense. So in keeping with that logic, maybe we don’t need yet another Burner. And we need a player type we don’t have, thus enters the Sniper that is Tarasenko.

Personally I think one of the Oilers strengths is guys who drive the slot hard, like Hyman, Kane, Foegele this year. You don't end up with too many players like that, because it's often the only play that works in the playoffs. Duclair is a little too soft for that.

Tarasenko is good but that's a big chunk of cap (and an asset) and I don't think it should be priority. I'd like to see a big D upgrade and a couple good third liners, I don't think the depth scoring after the top 5 or 6 guys is nearly as good as most do.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

Yup...there is an argument to be made that the team needs a sniper. Considering the cap space required to fit in a player like that it may be a little beyond what the team can realitically target.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Makes sense on a lot of level. My only caveat with Walker and it arose to me watching Carrier, is the size thing. Ceci’s got 4 inches on both these guys. For Carrier I know he can get out battled a bit and takes some tumbles, but I’ll have to watch Walker against bigger, faster offences to see if it’s a concern with him…
The Oilers have alot of size on the blueline, so I'm not too concerned.

I was really thinking about it today, Re:Ceci.

The Oilers need a defenseman who can push offense and move the puck better for Nurse's partner.

That's where the weak spot is. Ceci is a good defender, physical, good at the PK, but has brought little offensively and it's a big hole on the ice.

It's why a look at a guy like Durzi as so valuable, that pair being able to push more offense 5 on 5, it would add an extra level of danger to the this team.

Carrier seems like he can do it and so can Walker. This is what I mean by an upgrade.

If you're worried about the a "drop off" in defense which isn't really the case, you can score and play defense, it's why you try to get someone much better than Kulak to play in his spot.

More offensive ability and puck moving ability, this team will really tilt the ice.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Leaving aside the Boqvist to the Oilers talk - which doesn't feel like a fit to me (I think Ceci is only really upgraded with a big defensively stout player like Tanev or Parayko) - Boqvist isn't inflated or pumped up to any degree. He's largely been scratched or on the third pair, not much PP time. In his games with Werenski though they've outscored opponents 9-3 as a duo. With results like that, they should be pumping up Boqvist, but they're not.

Personally I think one of the Oilers strengths is guys who drive the slot hard, like Hyman, Kane, Foegele this year. You don't end up with too many players like that, because it's often the only play that works in the playoffs. Duclair is a little too soft for that.

Tarasenko is good but that's a big chunk of cap (and an asset) and I don't think it should be priority. I'd like to see a big D upgrade and a couple good third liners, I don't think the depth scoring after the top 5 or 6 guys is nearly as good as most do.

I mentioned later I didn’t look into Boqvist. He’s not a fit and I’ve dismissed him pretty early as that. So I’ll take your word on Boqvist.

Regarding Ceci though, him not being big enough or good enough in his own end isn’t really the issue. So i don’t think it needs to be Tanev and/or Parayko to upgrade from him.

Meh if we have 3 guys that go hard to the net already, why are we quadrupling down for another? Plus we just added Perry for free. Doesn’t make sense to me. You need to be able to score in a variety of ways in the playoffs, and one way the oilers are weak at is with pure snipes from distance. We don’t have that component on this team, we need to add that component.

Tank is 2.5M in Cap value once retained. It’s doable.

Yup...there is an argument to be made that the team needs a sniper. Considering the cap space required to fit in a player like that it may be a little beyond what the team can realitically target.
Tank = 2.5M we can make it work if we save some money going Ceci -> UFA Rental D

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Oilers have alot of size on the blueline, so I'm not too concerned.

I was really thinking about it today, Re:Ceci.

The Oilers need a defenseman who can push offense and move the puck better for Nurse's partner.

That's where the weak spot is. Ceci is a good defender, physical, good at the PK, but has brought little offensively and it's a big hole on the ice.

It's why a look at a guy like Durzi as so valuable, that pair being able to push more offense 5 on 5, it would add an extra level of danger to the this team.

Carrier seems like he can do it and so can Walker. This is what I mean by an upgrade.

If you're worried about the a "drop off" in defense which isn't really the case, you can score and play defense, it's why you try to get someone much better than Kulak to play in his spot.

More offensive ability and puck moving ability, this team will really tilt the ice.

Yeh I seen the Durzi mention before. Awhile back i was also interested in Ghost for the same reason. But now I’m thinking maybe that’s too big of a downgrade in the defence dept. but I do agree, we could tilt the ice in an Ekholm-Bouch way more with that Dman that can move the puck and make offensive zone plays.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mentioned later I didn’t look into Boqvist. He’s not a fit and I’ve dismissed him pretty early as that. So I’ll take your word on Boqvist.

Regarding Ceci though, him not being big enough or good enough in his own end isn’t really the issue. So i don’t think it needs to be Tanev and/or Parayko to upgrade from him.

Meh if we have 3 guys that go hard to the net already, why are we quadrupling down for another? Plus we just added Perry for free. Doesn’t make sense to me. You need to be able to score in a variety of ways in the playoffs, and one way the oilers are weak at is with pure snipes from distance. We don’t have that component on this team, we need to add that component.

Tank is 2.5M in Cap value once retained. It’s doable.

Tank = 2.5M we can make it work if we save some money going Ceci -> UFA Rental D
I am not so quick to deal off Ceci and his $3.25M contract which he outperfoms daily. Epsecially when the dman you are bringing in is a rental and may or may not be a fit with Nurse...who isnt an easy player to play with.

If I thought that Broberg was really up to speed than I would be open to trading Kulak to open up some cap space.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
I think I'm one of the few here that wants to stay the course with what we have. I really like our depth. I don't want to move out Ceci, Foegele, and Kulak for an upgrade at any one position, and I don't think it's worth the asset cost or particularly feasible to move Cambell. I like Pickard. I mostly like the defence as is, but I would add a depth right shot defenseman. I would probably part with our 1st or preferably a 2nd and 3rd for Monahan at 50% to give us a 3rd line right shot centre that is strong on the dot. I think something like Kane-Monahan-Perry could be a really strong cycle line that you give ozone starts. I like Drai with McLeod and Foegele, McDavid with Hyman and Nuge, and then a 4th line of Holloway/Janmark-Ryan-Brown/Gagner.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I think I'm one of the few here that wants to stay the course with what we have. I really like our depth. I don't want to move out Ceci, Foegele, and Kulak for an upgrade at any one position, and I don't think it's worth the asset cost or particularly feasible to move Cambell. I like Pickard. I mostly like the defence as is, but I would add a depth right shot defenseman. I would probably part with our 1st or preferably a 2nd and 3rd for Monahan at 50% to give us a 3rd line right shot centre that is strong on the dot. I think something like Kane-Monahan-Perry could be a really strong cycle line that you give ozone starts. I like Drai with McLeod and Foegele, McDavid with Hyman and Nuge, and then a 4th line of Holloway/Janmark-Ryan-Brown/Gagner.
Monahan is a left shot.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Monahan is a left shot.
Shit... you're right. I don't know why I always thought he was a right shot centre. Otherwise I still think he'd be a good fit and at 50% he wouldn't affect the rest of our lineup. Would prefer a right shot centre tho if one could be had for league min with retention. I think guys like Giroux and Henrique are just too pricey

Reactions: belair

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Shit... you're right. I don't know why I always thought he was a right shot centre. Otherwise I still think he'd be a good fit and at 50% he wouldn't affect the rest of our lineup. Would prefer a right shot centre tho if one could be had for league min with retention. I think guys like Giroux and Henrique are just too pricey
Big reason why I valued Sissons and McLeod (previously) so highly. I prefer having guys with term if we're paying a high cost.

I'm not completely opposed to Monahan. And I see the logic. But Hughes is building up the market on the guy. And he's honestly not very good.

Ekholm was an off the board guy that has paid dividends. Let's keep following that formula.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Big reason why I valued Sissons and McLeod (previously) so highly. I prefer having guys with term if we're paying a high cost.

I'm not completely opposed to Monahan. And I see the logic. But Hughes is building up the market on the guy. And he's honestly not very good.

Ekholm was an off the board guy that has paid dividends. Let's keep following that formula.
I think Monahan will be a good add for the team that gets him depending on the cost. I like him better than Lindholm this year.

I've really like McLeods game for a long time. I think one of the only posts I ever made on the trade forum was to inquire about him a year or two ago, but that ship has likely definitely sailed. I don't know a lot about Scissons and honestly haven't followed him closely.

There surely will be a player or two that get traded that no one knew was available. Ekholm was the best deadline aquisition last year and probably Hollands best move as Oilers GM, but I think the Nuge contract was brilliant and the Kane tryout and subsequent contract was also very good.

Last edited:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
From a cap perspective the Oilers only have so many options

1. Trade Ceci (3.25)
2. Trade Kulak (2.75)
3. Trade Campbell (5)

That's it.

IMO those are the only moves. You arent trading any of the top 5 forwards. Foegele and McLeod are playing too well. Nurse/Ekholm/Bouchard aren't going anywhere.

I think we all want to see Campbell moved but I'm just not sure how realistic it is.

The only orher option is to target UFAs and get that team to retain/double retain down to 1M.
Rehabilitate Campbell at the start of next year. Alternatively, after the oilers clich.

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Get another goalie and upgrade defence top 4. Don't *iss around.
Who out there is so much better than Pickard and cheap enough or worth sacrificing depth in other positions for?

Rehabilitate Campbell at the start of next year. Alternatively, after the oilers clich.
Buy him out this summer. He's too fragile. It was a risky gamble and Holland lost hard. Buy out is the best option at this point, but I think that will be up to Jeff Jackson

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Who out there is so much better than Pickard and cheap enough or worth sacrificing depth in other positions for?

Buy him out this summer. He's too fragile. It was a risky gamble and Holland lost hard. Buy out is the best option at this point, but I think that will be up to Jeff Jackson
Buy out or see if someone will take him for free-ish with a retention, you're spot on with Campbell.

Reactions: tinfish

tinfish

Jul 6, 2011
Edmonton
Buy out or see if someone will take him for free-ish with a retention, you're spot on with Campbell.
If someone will take him with 2 mil retained for like a couple of 3rd round picks, sure, but i don't like the idea of giving a team 1st round picks and promising young prospects to unload him. Cap is going up and the penalty shouldn't hurt too badly. We need young cost effective elc players coming in to manage our cap

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad