Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: What You See is What You Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'd bet on the Coyotes to make the playoffs next season over us. Their roster is looking good and they were top 8 in the west after Christmas last season.
:facepalm: The reality of this post is less "I Bet" and more "I hope that" because the Yotes are still bad and don't look like they're headed in any other direction then straight along the bottom

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
If the team is healthy, it might not be too bad next year.

- Our defense is pretty deep now and have Bear\Bouchard as possibly our PP shooter RHD

- Lucic would certainly not have a long leash so starting RNH-McD over Lucic-McD is already a big upgrade over last year.

StevenF1919

Oct 9, 2017
Edmonton
:facepalm: The reality of this post is less "I Bet" and more "I hope that" because the Yotes are still bad and don't look like they're headed in any other direction then straight along the bottom
Arizona was 16th in the league after January 1st (with less games played than pretty much every other team in the league). There's no reason why they can't push for a spot with a healthy Raanta, the additions of Galchenyuk and Hinostroza, and Keller and Strome likely taking a step forward.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Don't we have enough dmen in the AHL already?

AHL teams need bodies around.

If the Oilers get hit with three injuries on defence and the Condors lose Bear/Lagesson/Lowe, for example, they’re going to be real happy having the AHL only guys in the fold. There’s no contract limit down there so... meh?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If he's willing to sign a cheap, 1 year contract, I'd be open to it. He can still provide value in a bottom 6 role, it's just unfortunate he was relied on so heavily on the PP previously.

No, he's atrocious in a bottom 6 role. He was only propped up by unsustainable PP success 2 seasons ago. Other than that, he was a black hole of offense at even strength, soft as sin on the forecheck, was terribly overrated defensively, was an average PKer (don't let the odd breakaway goal fool you) and hardly ever won key faceoffs. Once his PP production dried up, his flaws were exposed. Nice guy, seemed like a good locker room guy, not a good player anymore.
I'd be much more open to somebody like Upshall who would at least create some havoc on the forecheck.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
No, he's atrocious in a bottom 6 role. He was only propped up by unsustainable PP success 2 seasons ago. Other than that, he was a black hole of offense at even strength, soft as sin on the forecheck, was terribly overrated defensively, was an average PKer (don't let the odd breakaway goal fool you) and hardly ever won key faceoffs. Once his PP production dried up, his flaws were exposed. Nice guy, seemed like a good locker room guy, not a good player anymore.
I'd be much more open to somebody like Upshall who would at least create some havoc on the forecheck.

I don't think he's terrible on RW but yeah i think he's a very weak center. He's actually a below average PKer in my books, and too slow and small to transition the puck effectively instead relying on banking it out off the boards and hoping a winger can get to it or getting to the red line and dumping it in. What he is though is a guy who can take right handed draws, not get scored on too much despite being outshot if he has to fill in at center, be an option on the PP if it needs a shakeup, help in the shoot out, be a leader, and be opportunistic in the o-zone. I think Letestu actually finishes more than his fair share of opportunities and limits the damage in giving up more than his fair share of opportunites, and that mitigates his general ineffectiveness to some degree. Not horrible as a 14th forward but i also think they could do better. I'd like one of Hansen, Shore, Vermette, or maybe even Winnik myself

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
If the team is healthy, it might not be too bad next year.

- Our defense is pretty deep now and have Bear\Bouchard as possibly our PP shooter RHD

- Lucic would certainly not have a long leash so starting RNH-McD over Lucic-McD is already a big upgrade over last year.

I'm not sure about that.

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl

Lucic - RNH - Caggiula I guess

vs

RNH - McDavid - Rattie

Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder

Top 6 looks around the same unless Lucic is considerably better than he was last year, Rattie is for real and Rieder is as good or better than Maroon.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Arizona was 16th in the league after January 1st (with less games played than pretty much every other team in the league). There's no reason why they can't push for a spot with a healthy Raanta, the additions of Galchenyuk and Hinostroza, and Keller and Strome likely taking a step forward.
if they are allowed to assume that Keller and Strome take a step forward, then we are allowed to say that Puljujarvi and Bear will take a step forward

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
I'm not sure about that.

Maroon - McDavid - Draisaitl

Lucic - RNH - Caggiula I guess

vs

RNH - McDavid - Rattie

Lucic - Draisaitl - Rieder

Top 6 looks around the same unless Lucic is considerably better than he was last year, Rattie is for real and Rieder is as good or better than Maroon.
Yah agreed, I like our top six. Hopefully Rieder can cash like Maroon. Lucic needs a big rebound year, he is a proud guy I'm sure he's not done yet.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
Lucic has always had awful 5v5 numbers with the Oilers, I’d be cautious on betting on him bouncing back, and even if he did it’ll most likely be attributed to a better PP and not a better Lucic.

We should (and we probably are) trading Lucic for whatever value he has left, because one more bad year and we have the rest of the contract in our hands.

And no, Bear and Bouchard should never be shoe-ins into the lineup. If they do well in the preseason and some stint of games, sure keep them up, but don’t go into the season thinking they’ll blow us away for sure.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
What happened to all those UFAs who were going to sign for less in Toronto because they're impressed by what the Leafs are doing?

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Lucic has always had awful 5v5 numbers with the Oilers, I’d be cautious on betting on him bouncing back, and even if he did it’ll most likely be attributed to a better PP and not a better Lucic.

We should (and we probably are) trading Lucic for whatever value he has left, because one more bad year and we have the rest of the contract in our hands.

And no, Bear and Bouchard should never be shoe-ins into the lineup. If they do well in the preseason and some stint of games, sure keep them up, but don’t go into the season thinking they’ll blow us away for sure.
I've never understood that line of thinking, regarding Bear and Bouchard. If they are ready, they play, if they aren't, then send them down. There should be no set rule because of age or draft spot, one player is not like the other.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I've never understood that line of thinking, regarding Bear and Bouchard. If they are ready, they play, if they aren't, then send them down. There should be no set rule because of age or draft spot, one player is not like the other.
I mean I’m agreeing with you here I’m just saying we need backup plans if they get sent down.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Would you guys trade Lucic + 1st for Bollands contract (1 more year at 5.5) and either Perlini or Fischer?

There's a fair probability we could miss the playoffs (hopefully not, but one has to be realistic also, it can certainly happen given virtually the same roster), giving away the 1st in 2019 would be a large mistake just to get rid of Lucic.

If you can't get rid of him this summer, it should easier next summer, after his bonus is paid on July 1, 2019, the remaining actual salary on his deal becomes

3/4/5/4 remaining.

It should be a lot easier to attach a 2nd rounder or a lesser prospect to get rid of him. We can't afford to give away 1sts though, we are still likely in the rebuild phase and we need that pick.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not sure where to post this, but Stauffer had Matt Hendricks on today and it was a great interview. Listen to the podcast if you have a chance.

Afterwards, Stauffer talked for awhile about Hendricks being a glue guy and how the Oilers missed him this year. He specifically said that Hendricks could have resolved an issue between an LW looking for a contract and an LW on a long term contract.

That has to be Maroon and Lucic. Interesting, I wonder what was going on between them.

Maroon probably wasn't keep on Lucic getting PP1 icetime and when Lucic was on McDavid's line in his contract year. Conversely Lucic signed here to ride shotgun with McDavid and for the most part hasn't done as well as he (or anyone) would like. If Lucic is back next season, he will likely need to do a lot or for there to be an injury to Nuge or Drai to get that chance again.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Funny how Lucic apparently feuding with a teammate is not given much press. If that was Hall or Eberle or Draisaitl, people would be losing their goddamn minds. What great "leadership" he's bringing.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Funny how Lucic apparently feuding with a teammate is not given much press. If that was Hall or Eberle or Draisaitl, people would be losing their goddamn minds. What great "leadership" he's bringing.

I know that it's popular to **** on Lucic and kiss Maroon's ass on here, but what if the issue was because Maroon was pissed that he couldn't get his retirement contract here because Looch got his? We don't know the specifics of who did what so to question his leadership for this is a stretch without knowing the facts.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
I know that it's popular to **** on Lucic and kiss Maroon's ass on here, but what if the issue was because Maroon was pissed that he couldn't get his retirement contract here because Looch got his? We don't know the specifics of who did what so to question his leadership for this is a stretch without knowing the facts.
Either way, a “leader” that brings problems to the locker room isn’t a leader at all, especially when it’s heavily rumoured he’s called quits in Edmonton. He’s supposed to be the one to glue the lockeUnlike someone who naively bought into the Oilers and wanted to spend his career here but got traded.

Lucic is supposed to be the one to mitigate these problems, not bring them.

Reactions: Aerrol
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad