Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: What You See is What You Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
So I did a capfriendly dealey.

-Drake Caggiula, Matt Benning and a 2nd 2019 for retained Gaborik and retained Pyatt.

~220k in cap space. and started looking at what cap would look like with bonuses coming....

Regardless of whether Gaborik is done or not....the problem I got to is .....with Bouchard they probably have 4 million ish in bonuses as I assume he will get at least 1 million+. Carrying over to next year and assuming the cap goes up to say 82 million then they will have what maybe 8 million to re-sign a starting goalie, extend Puljujarvi and add a guy like Reider. Also if they hit the bonuses in this scenario it would mean JP will get a nice raise. On the bright side if they hit the bonuses it means JP is useful and the D is set.

things i find curious;
-if the team is good they will have to move cap. considering the price for edmonton doing anything...i'd guess a 1st will go out.
-can they have the "best team" without optimizing JP and Bouchard?
-If Bouchard is really good then he might squeeze them up against the cap.....which might be a reason to keep him down for a year.
-maybe the same with JP especially if the cap is flat. instead of keeping him down maybe you're talking about limiting his offense or trading him.
-how close are they to actually not being able to find a starting goalie next year?

*walks away mumbling to himself*

Why? That's just awful.

If you want to get rid of Drake and Benning to cut some salary there are a lot better ways to do it.

They can retain half on Gaborik and that'd still be an awful trade for Edmonton.

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
I've got a question regarding the cap.

Is it legal to enter the season with a roster that is above the cap?

Just as an example, if we sign Nurse to a 8 x 4.5M$ deal and have Yam on the big team all season long (please note that this is only an example - I'm not saying we should or shouldn't do this) we would be above the cap by a few hundred grand, assuming the rest of the roster stays the same. Obviously it would be easy to get back under the cap during the season, either by someone going on LTIR or by waiving or trading a player before the deadline. But would that be within the rules?

Thanks.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
Funny how Lucic apparently feuding with a teammate is not given much press. If that was Hall or Eberle or Draisaitl, people would be losing their goddamn minds. What great "leadership" he's bringing.
Who did he feud with, and who's the source of the story? Or is this just another one of those "I heard this thing from a neighbor, who heard from his cousin, who is best friends with a concession worker at Rexall Place, who overheard a conversation at the urinals..." rumors that fly around throughout the city?

Debbie Mathers

Jul 5, 2018
No. You have to be under the cap. That's why Chiarelli was forced to trade Boychuk for packing tape and a bag of popcorn prior to the Bruins 2014 season.

Thanks for that. Right. So we are basically in a position where we can't even lock down Nurse to a long term deal at 4.5M$ per - a deal that, as far as I am aware of, a fair few people on this board would deem sensible - unless we do some other work on the roster, because with that deal we would be more or less capped out with only 22 players on the roster? Is that correct?

If this is indeed correct, and I fear it is, then I'm a little bit confused at this stage. (If you are not aware who I am, please read my first post in the "New to HF thread). I mean, maybe Chia wanted to bridge Nurse all along and therefore didn't deem it necessary to leave more cap room. But you never know how negotiations go, and putting yourself in a position where you can't even offer a sensible long-term deal because that would either cap you out with 22 players on the roster or it would require other major work... I mean, that doesn't appear particularly clever to me.

I mean, maybe Koskinen turns out great and becomes our No 1 goalie. But if he doesn't, it's a complete waste of 1.5M$ per. Plenty of decent back-ups were available for 1M$ per on July 1st...

I sincerely hope that someone will politely explain to me that what I have just written is utter bollocks, and that Chia has a great masterplan which will come to fruition anytime soon. That would really make me feel better! :)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
ftr just listened to it. I was hoping it would be Hendricks saying something but he's a solid guy and didn't. It was Stauffers comment.

Oilers NOW With Bob Stauffer (podcast)

Its the 13th minute of the Friday the 13th podcast...Stauffer is quite clear on it and its damned specific. Strong personalities and disagreement between a LW with a longterm contract and a LW without one, is clearly inferred.

Stauffer isn't saying this out of the blue. This is not in my belief a hypothetical. Really I had always wondered if Maroon and Lucic had ever sorted out some past bad blood. The whole time I can't think of one moment where the two were together high fiving each other or any of that. I often sensed a distance between the two. Normally on the same club you see a lot of interaction between the team enforcers. This was not the case here, and more like they felt they were competitors still..

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I can't be the only one who doesn't care if Maroon or Lucic didn't like each other right?

It wasn't an issue the year before when the team has a good season.

That is the kind of noise people bring up to distract away from the fact that the roster just wasn't good enough.

The issue with the team last year wasn't "strong personalities." It was that our defense was a tire fire and the GM squandered the winger depth we'd had in previous years. Oh and Talbot sucked. But instead of pointing that out, Bob likes to say that we just didn't have enough positive energy or "glue guys"

No Bob.... it's that the GM iced a subpar roster from day one.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
@Spawn while im sure in-room issues played a role in our sucking you are a 100% correct. The team was garbage.
Lets not forget how awful the coaching staff was as well, on many nights I along with many HfOilers were convinced the guys quit on Mclellan and co.

Hopefully this season is better

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
1445821433544.gif

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Among the 218 NHL dmen with 2000+ minutes at ES over the past 5 seasons:

At ES:

Larsson is 39th in TOI/Game.
Larsson is 19th in RelT GF%.
Larsson is 52nd in RelT XGF%.
Larsson has the 3rd hardest relative zone start ratio.
Larsson is 60th in QOC (combined rank of TOI% QOC, XGF% QOC, and CorsiFor% QOC).

Doesn't seem like a #3 dman to me when he's in the top 62 in all of those categories.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Among the 218 NHL dmen with 2000+ minutes at ES over the past 5 seasons:

At ES:

Larsson is 39th in TOI/Game.
Larsson is 19th in RelT GF%.
Larsson is 52nd in RelT XGF%.
Larsson has the 3rd hardest relative zone start ratio.
Larsson is 60th in QOC (combined rank of TOI% QOC, XGF% QOC, and CorsiFor% QOC).

Doesn't seem like a #3 dman to me when he's in the top 62 in all of those categories.

How about points? Or total TOI/game? or Corsi?

And I know I've said this before, but relative numbers are worthless when comparing players across the league. A great player on a bad team is going to have better relative numbers than a great player on a great team. There is no value to be had in such a comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad