Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: What You See is What You Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Marc-Andre Fleury has signed a three-year, $21 million extension with the #Vegas @GoldenKnights. Set to kick in for 2019-20 season at an AAV of $7 million.
I don't mind it. MAF has proved time and time again he can play. On a 3 year deal this deal makes a lot of sense.

I've always thought he was overrated and he'll probably prove me wrong now that I have finally come on board. Considering he bounced back so well after a poor season in PITand a concussion, I do truly think this contract is warranted

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
As much as I still love Hallsy, that quote spoke volumes and explained so much. Especially with the season he had after being sat down and talked to by Hynes.
Taylor Hall says he didn't want a "dialogue" with his coaches with Edmonton Oilers
Yeah, the comments from Ference back in Feb 2017 definitely tell a tale too...he doesn't mention Hall by name, but he may as well have.

There's two sides to every story, and IMO it's being willfully ignorant to think that the Taylor Hall of a couple seasons ago was an innocent victim of the Big Bad Evil Oilers Management. In 15/16 he wasn't the same player OR person that he is now, and he deserves credit for improving himself on and off the ice...but he wasn't the first and won't be the last young player that needed to hear a 2nd opinion from another team in order for the message to finally sink in.

Reactions: Pochiro

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I would have too if Eakins was my coach. That guy set us back 3 years minimum. Only thing positive is he helped get us MCD.

What's ironic about this was that it was Hall that went into MacT's office to proclaim that "Eakins is not the problem.", back when Eakins was coming under fire.

Taylor Hall vouches for Edmonton Oilers head coach Dallas Eakins

Sure sounded like Hall was fully invested into Eakins as coach back in November 2014. Not that it did any good as Eakins was fired one month later.

Reactions: Jamin

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Yeah, the comments from Ference back in Feb 2017 definitely tell a tale too...he doesn't mention Hall by name, but he may as well have.

There's two sides to every story, and IMO it's being willfully ignorant to think that the Taylor Hall of a couple seasons ago was an innocent victim of the Big Bad Evil Oilers Management. In 15/16 he wasn't the same player OR person that he is now, and he deserves credit for improving himself on and off the ice...but he wasn't the first and won't be the last young player that needed to hear a 2nd opinion from another team in order for the message to finally sink in.

It was still a terrible trade yo.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Well obviously. Irrelevant to my point, but no less true.

No I think it's relevant because Hall's "issues" are often cited as a justification for the trade and you imply that he never would have been the player he is if he'd stayed. Which I'm not sure is the case.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

The bigger shocker for me is how Smyth couldn't get these guys to buy in as professionals.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Plenty of other threads to verbally stroke a player who was traded over two years ago.

Lucic + 2nd for Faulk

Sekera + Puljujarvi for Gallagher

Reactions: Senor Catface

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Plenty of other threads to verbally stroke a player who was traded over two years ago.

Lucic + 2nd for Faulk

Sekera + Puljujarvi for Gallagher

I think maybe we need to take a step back and consider grass isnt always greener.

Getting players who can shoot or dont have stone hands sounds cool but I think they still need to facepunch, hit and play defense.

(Not that I wouldnt post this exact deal for funsies)

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Did they? Of course the media hacks did their thing. As did a sizeable proportion of the fan-base, but I don't recall Chiarelli ever having bad things to say about Taylor. In fact, he seemed to be very supportive, polite, and diplomatic.
Of course he's going to defend his trade, but I certainly didn't see any mud-slinging after the fact.

They used the media to defend the Hall trade. There was lots of rumors that behind closed doors they didn’t like Halls off ice antics.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
No I think it's relevant because Hall's "issues" are often cited as a justification for the trade and you imply that he never would have been the player he is if he'd stayed. Which I'm not sure is the case.

I suppose it's possible for Hall to have become what he is now as a person if he'd stayed in Edmonton, but given Edmonton's fishbowl environment the deck would've been stacked against him.

And he had been trending down for 2 full years prior to the trade, so a case could be made that it wasn't a certainty on what Hall really was going to be...there's a lot of difference in trade value between a 80 point winger and a 65 point winger with rumored maturity issues. IMO it could've gone either way, and Chia bet the wrong way...though it sure didn't look like it was the wrong bet during Hall's first year as a Devil.

And given Soli's statement, I'll shut up about this topic. Moving on.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Hell even if they bounce back to their career average (even including their bad years) that would be good.

Lucic 49 points
Klefbom 30 pts
Sekera 28 pts
Talbot 2.50 gaa, 0.918 s%

Hell the regression to the mean for Talbot based on shots faced this year, would be 18 less goals.
What’s the Yogi Berra quote”Half this game is 90% mental.” Lucic,an eleven year vet, and Kassian, a seven year vet, seemed to lose all confidence and drive in early 2018. Puljujarvi has language issues and seems lost in translation. Koskinen is brought in with elevated expectations. Does he even speak English. This team needs to be proactive and protect there assets. Psychologists and translators need to be used to get the most out of your $80M in assets. Maybe Hall and Yakupov would be starring here if management got in the 21st century.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
What’s the Yogi Berra quote”Half this game is 90% mental.” Lucic,an eleven year vet, and Kassian, a seven year vet, seemed to lose all confidence and drive in early 2018. Puljujarvi has language issues and seems lost in translation. Koskinen is brought in with elevated expectations. Does he even speak English. This team needs to be proactive and protect there assets. Psychologists and translators need to be used to get the most out of your $80M in assets. Maybe Hall and Yakupov would be starring here if management got in the 21st century.

they don't need those, kevin lowe played with jari kurri and that why he sais "I know a thing or 2 about finnish"

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
That MAF contract is....interesting to say the least. Hard to argue against a player who was that good in the playoffs. But given his past performances which have been pretty average, I would be willing to bet he doesnt play up to his 7 mil price tag, even next year

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
That MAF contract is....interesting to say the least. Hard to argue against a player who was that good in the playoffs. But given his past performances which have been pretty average, I would be willing to bet he doesnt play up to his 7 mil price tag, even next year
In the first 3 rounds of the playoffs you mean.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, a bit weird to sign a soon to be 34 year old goalie one year out of free agency. Especially when he's coming off far and away the best year of his career.

I'm really curious what kind of contract Karlsson ends up getting. And Theodore too for that matter.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Haha I will get torched for this but what about bringing in Letestu on a cheap deal? Could be the 13th forward....

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
Haha I will get torched for this but what about bringing in Letestu on a cheap deal? Could be the 13th forward....

If he's willing to sign a cheap, 1 year contract, I'd be open to it. He can still provide value in a bottom 6 role, it's just unfortunate he was relied on so heavily on the PP previously.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
No. Testtube is done.

Just rolling with whichever Condor has the best training camp would be a better option.

So since laleggia is gone thats vesel or russell.

A savvy businesd man would go russell so to force thos extra k. russell re-orders. Put that 1200 in your back pocket.

Reactions: oXo Cube

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
Would be nice in key situations to put out Broadziak and Letestu for face offs in case one gets waived.

Still think Oilers should hire Oates as skills coach. Remember what he did with Stoll, Reasoner and Horcoff. We had the best FO percentage in the league if I am not mistaken....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad