Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: What You See is What You Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
"Regression to the mean" can and often does happen.

Lucic is 30 not 35 and apparently in great physical condition... so I think the problems are likely 90% mental. He has an excellent chance of bouncing back and becoming a 50+ point player again.

Klefbom should hopefully bounce back after his injury issues. I'm far from the biggest Klefbom backer here... but I can't see him being as poor as he was last season.

Talbot was extremely crappy early and actually got better as the year went on... not linearly better all season long but definitely finished better than he started. I'd say he has a better than average shot at being closer to a 92% goalie again.

Sekera I think is declining overall slowly so I think it's very likely his peak is behind him... but last season was almost 100% because of his injuries. I don't think there's any way he's that bad again and even if he rebounds to be an average #4 dman.. that's much better than he was last season where he wasn't even a #7.

Overall I think it's very possible (and likely probable) all 4 of those players improve at least somewhat over their performances and that alone likely drives the fortunes of this team higher next season.
Hell even if they bounce back to their career average (even including their bad years) that would be good.

Lucic 49 points
Klefbom 30 pts
Sekera 28 pts
Talbot 2.50 gaa, 0.918 s%

Hell the regression to the mean for Talbot based on shots faced this year, would be 18 less goals.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
LTIR helps but don't they need to be cap compliant on game one, and LTIR can start game 2?

I feel like I remember hearing something like that with Savard back in the day(basically they couldn't put him on LTIR to get the extra cap until the season started, so they had to be cap compliant with his cap hit), but I can't remember if that was right or not.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Hell even if they bounce back to their career average (even including their bad years) that would be good.

Lucic 49 points
Klefbom 30 pts
Sekera 28 pts
Talbot 2.50 gaa, 0.918 s%

Hell the regression to the mean for Talbot based on shots faced this year, would be 18 less goals.
I can see the others bouncing back. Klefbom and Sekera were nursing injuries all year long and goaltending is notoriously voodoo in the NHL. However, given the lack of passion that the bum that is Milan Lucic played and how he was constantly handed opportunity after opportunity, and wasted them all while taking zero responsibility. He'll be trending down if anything. Players like Puljujarvi were held accountable for pretty much every mistake they made, but there was zero accountability on supposed character guy and leader Milan Lucic, putting up zero effort on ice and leaving his teammates out to dry when they needed him to step in and fight or at least stand up for them, much like a certain defenseman that was handed a leadership role under the Eakins regime.

Maybe we should stop going to Bruins has beens for leadership positions.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
IMO if we had a GM like Yzerman, then one of those four would have been an Oilers by now.

I Chiarelli's reputation in losing so many lop-sided deals has crippled the chances of GMs giving us a non-lowball offers :(((((

It's not even so much that as it is damaging the relationship with the player so much BEFORE the actual trade.

I mean a guy like Bowman has lost so many trades, including the Panarin for Saad trade, but it's still manageable (not ideal, but manageable) because Panarin actually wants to go back to Chicago. Will Hall say "sorry Mr. Shero, I want to go back to Edmonton after my contract is done?" Would Schultz? Would Eberle? Doubtful.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
It's not even so much that as it is damaging the relationship with the player so much BEFORE the actual trade.

I mean a guy like Bowman has lost so many trades, including the Panarin for Saad trade, but it's still manageable (not ideal, but manageable) because Panarin actually wants to go back to Chicago. Will Hall say "sorry Mr. Shero, I want to go back to Edmonton after my contract is done?" Would Schultz? Would Eberle? Doubtful.

Hall will never come back here. The media and management tried to paint him as some out of control party guy that was bad in the room and shouldn’t be on the team or he’s be a bad influence on Mcdavid. The guy wanted to be a lifelong Oiler and they burnt the bridge after they kicked him off of it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hall will never come back here. The media and management tried to paint him as some out of control party guy that was bad in the room and shouldn’t be on the team or he’s be a bad influence on Mcdavid. The guy wanted to be a lifelong Oiler and they burnt the bridge after they kicked him off of it.

You're probably right, though maybe one day like when he's in his 30s and if the Oilers are still relevant, and Chia is long, long, long gone ... maybe a 1 year deal or something could happen.

Comrie coming back was a lot more unlikely and Smyth was very bitter at the Oilers for quite a while there it seemed.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Please accept my apology if this has already been discussed.

But, if Chicago was able to put Hossa on LTIR and get the relief, then why were they so desperate to get rid of his cap hit?

LTIR still has negative cap implications. The two biggest are 1) It impacts the amount of cap space a team has for deadline acquisitions. 2) Being over the cap due to LTIR means that pretty much any bonuses earned will go against next year's cap.

Nick Schmaltz for example probably earned his bonuses last year. If this is the case, Chicago's cap would drop by $650K once this is factored in. Chicago has been very aggressive in going after free agents like Panarin. Typically these sorts of players get large bonuses built into their deals. High end draft choices also are at risk of generating bonus overages.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009

Did they? Of course the media hacks did their thing. As did a sizeable proportion of the fan-base, but I don't recall Chiarelli ever having bad things to say about Taylor. In fact, he seemed to be very supportive, polite, and diplomatic.
Of course he's going to defend his trade, but I certainly didn't see any mud-slinging after the fact.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Did they? Of course the media hacks did their thing. As did a sizeable proportion of the fan-base, but I don't recall Chiarelli ever having bad things to say about Taylor. In fact, he seemed to be very supportive, polite, and diplomatic.
Of course he's going to defend his trade, but I certainly didn't see any mud-slinging after the fact.

It has been rumored that some people among the Oilers management didn't like Hall--be it his attitude, his work ethic, his off-ice behaviour, whatever. Someone or some people of standing in the group didn't feel like the team could win with Hall. Stauffer has become more and more comfortable as time separates us from that trade in intimating that Hall was sandbagged by a few voices in the front office. "Treated unfairly," are the words he uses. I tend to believe that this is true, for obvious reasons.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
When Hall himself says he stopped listening to coaches, you can see how management probably wasn't thrilled with him

Reactions: McBooya42

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014

Where do you think the media in Edmonton get most of their info? From the management and OBC.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
It has been rumored that some people among the Oilers management didn't like Hall--be it his attitude, his work ethic, his off-ice behaviour, whatever. Someone or some people of standing in the group didn't feel like the team could win with Hall. Stauffer has become more and more comfortable as time separates us from that trade in intimating that Hall was sandbagged by a few voices in the front office. "Treated unfairly," are the words he uses. I tend to believe that this is true, for obvious reasons.

Ok, that definitely sounds reasonable. But also unfortunate if true.
On the other hand, Hall himself has mentioned a sit-down with Shero and his change in mindset that led him to his Hart season in Jersey.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Where do you think the media in Edmonton get most of their info? From the management and OBC.

I don't know where they get their info and it would be foolish of me to suggest I do.
You could certainly be right though.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Hall will sign an extension in New Jersey for sure.

Question his commitment to playing the game the right way if you want, but his loyalty should be beyond reproach.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad