Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: What You See is What You Get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

North

Jun 25, 2009
@RaabHart , the glass houses thing, that's not how forums work at all.

Just because you have a shit team doesn't mean you can't comment on other shit teams.

On a side note, since great GM Chayka took over the Coyotes, they've been worse than the Oilers.

He may be building a good pipeline of prospects and Keller is great but I'm not convinced of anything until the roster he puts together actually makes some noise.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I'd still like Faulk.

Come on Carolina you wanted the kind of grit Lucic provides.

A deal built around Lucic and Faulk would be perfect.

Not sure how the Oilers would replace Lucic but it can't be that hard to replace a bottom 6 winger.

Reactions: 780il

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012

Just because you have a **** team doesn't mean you can't comment on other **** teams.

On a side note, since great GM Chayka took over the Coyotes, they've been worse than the Oilers.

He may be building a good pipeline of prospects and Keller is great but I'm not convinced of anything until the roster he puts together actually makes some noise.

They also weren't gifted the best player in hockey like the Oilers were.

If you replace McDavid with Strome or Hanifin do you think the Oilers would've made the playoffs during Chiarelli's tenure? because I defensively don't.

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
Imagine next season if Lucic, Klefbom, Talbot and Sekera continue on their downwards trajectory. Are there any fancy stats showing there's a greater probability a player "bounces" back after a bad season?

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
Karlsson, Skinner, Faulk and Patches still haven't found new teams. Either we are all but done or we are waiting for the first domino to fall.

IMO if we had a GM like Yzerman, then one of those four would have been an Oilers by now.

I Chiarelli's reputation in losing so many lop-sided deals has crippled the chances of GMs giving us a non-lowball offers :(((((

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
This is a joke right?

At the very least, Murphy is young and getting better at reducing goals against than Russell if you wanna get nit picky with Rel Goal stats.

Murphy also destroys Russell in every advanced stat category and helps his team keep position of the puck.

No joke no. He's really no better and really no cheaper either with that extra year tacked on.

Past 5 seasons at ES:

Murphy RelT GF/60 0.00 RelT GA/60 +.01 RelT XGF/60 -.06 RelT XGA/60 -.22 -2.71 rel zone starts 49.89 XGF% QOC.

Russell RelT GF/60 +.05 RelT GA/60 +.02 RelT XGF/60 -.19 RelT XGA/60 0.00 +1.93 rel zone starts 50.02 XGF% QOC.

Murphy is younger... really doesn't provide anything better offensively, is very marginally better defensively (at best).. and faces slightly lower QOC.. although he does play slightly harder zone starts.

Overall he's pretty much a younger Kris Russell imo... at a similar cost and 1 more year on the books.

I thought the Russell haters would actually want something better to replace him with rather than essentially the same dman for 1 year longer. I guess some people just like bitching and moaning, because that's what they would be doing about that Murphy contract in 2 years time as well.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Imagine next season if Lucic, Klefbom, Talbot and Sekera continue on their downwards trajectory. Are there any fancy stats showing there's a greater probability a player "bounces" back after a bad season?

"Regression to the mean" can and often does happen.

Lucic is 30 not 35 and apparently in great physical condition... so I think the problems are likely 90% mental. He has an excellent chance of bouncing back and becoming a 50+ point player again.

Klefbom should hopefully bounce back after his injury issues. I'm far from the biggest Klefbom backer here... but I can't see him being as poor as he was last season.

Talbot was extremely crappy early and actually got better as the year went on... not linearly better all season long but definitely finished better than he started. I'd say he has a better than average shot at being closer to a 92% goalie again.

Sekera I think is declining overall slowly so I think it's very likely his peak is behind him... but last season was almost 100% because of his injuries. I don't think there's any way he's that bad again and even if he rebounds to be an average #4 dman.. that's much better than he was last season where he wasn't even a #7.

Overall I think it's very possible (and likely probable) all 4 of those players improve at least somewhat over their performances and that alone likely drives the fortunes of this team higher next season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
They also weren't gifted the best player in hockey like the Oilers were.

If you replace McDavid with Strome or Hanifin do you think the Oilers would've made the playoffs during Chiarelli's tenure? because I defensively don't.

Not for a lack of trying on the Coyotes' part. They tanked and we won the McDavid lottery even though we were better than them.

Well the Oilers didn't make the playoffs last year even though McDavid was on the team so I don't really think your point holds.

Last edited:
Reactions: 780il

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I

Just because you have a **** team doesn't mean you can't comment on other **** teams.

I wouldn't waste your time

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
Please accept my apology if this has already been discussed.

But, if Chicago was able to put Hossa on LTIR and get the relief, then why were they so desperate to get rid of his cap hit?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Please accept my apology if this has already been discussed.

But, if Chicago was able to put Hossa on LTIR and get the relief, then why were they so desperate to get rid of his cap hit?

Possibly so that they don't go over the summer cap overage? No idea.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Possibly so that they don't go over the summer cap overage? No idea.
or maybe they feel like it handicapped them this summer, with perhaps it putting them out of any Tavares negotiation before they could start? Or maybe they feel like next summer they have big plans.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
or maybe they feel like it handicapped them this summer, with perhaps it putting them out of any Tavares negotiation before they could start? Or maybe they feel like next summer they have big plans.

Anything is possible. Panarin is a good guess as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->