Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: We Need HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
The biggest offensive addition that Holland has brought in was James Neal who is an absolute debacle at 5 on 5. After him, the biggest addition has been Gaetan Haas who has 7 points.

Sheahan with 6, Archibald with 6, Nygard with 6, and then Granlund with 4 who is gone.

While Holland should be lauded for the Neal for Lucic swap, all of his offseason moves aside from that have been brutal misses.

Let me put it this way:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Neal*
Kassian
Nugent-Hopkins
Klefbom
Nurse
Bear
Chiasson
Khaira
Gagner

We have the lowest scoring bottom 6 forwards, hell I think even bottom 9 forwards in the entire league. All the players that Holland brought in this offseason have been complete debacles aside from Neal (who has been a debacle when he's not on the PP). There is a bit of hope with a few of them. Haas and Nygard look fast, but don't produce at all. Sheahan and Archibald PK, but are detrimental otherwise. Even two players who probably shouldn't be in the NHL in Chiasson and Khaira are outscoring all the additions that Holland made. Chiasson and Khaira aren't playing in the NHL if they aren't in Edmonton.

The scary part is that our defence is honestly worse. Bear, Nurse, and Klefbom are CAPABLE NHL defencemen. They aren't top pairing guys. Klefbom plays huge minutes but that's only out of necessity. The talks of him being a top pairing defenceman, let alone a #1 defenceman like some of you psychos were proclaiming at the start of the season were asinine.

I admit it is hard to compare one defensive corps to another at times. It's sickening to look at our defensive group and realize that to actually have a GOOD defence, we would need to add two defencemen to this roster who are currently better than anyone else we have. Dropping everyone in our group down two spots in the lineup would solve a lot of issues. The fact we have Ethan Bear as our 'saving grace' makes me want to laugh and cry simultaneously.

I don't think Bouchard is the answer either. I don't think we can wait for Broberg to hopefully develop into that either.

So far I think Holland has failed miserably. Yes, he didn't have much room to work with, but we also see lots of free agent additions and smaller trades that have took place involving high round draft picks where teams have acquired players who are doing far more in the middle and bottom 6's of their teams. Much better than anything Holland got.

I honestly think Holland failed miserably in his first offseason. He acquired quite a few new players, none of whom have had any amount of success given their opportunity.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Yeah we are so deep on prospects.... except at forward and goaltending. Bear has been fine but Jones/Lagesson have left a lot to be desired.
What's wrong with our goaltending? Konovalev is a KHL All-Star this season, Rodrigue is at the World Juniors...

Skinner, Wells and Starrett are struggling, but I can't really comment on how much they're to blame.

The organization's immediate needs are at 3C, secondary wingers and a puck-moving D over the next couple seasons. I'm not really seeing the negative version considering our depth likely addresses a number of those needs, if not all of them.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
This summer he gives his final ultamatum. 1 year tops. Hes gone by 2021 January if this does not improve dramatically. Heard it here. Then all these pom pom waving Oiler fanatics who trashed on Hall can then rip 97 , when the real problem is the organization and the garbage they have built around him, the dead fans at the arena and the city.
Teams would trade half their roster for McDavid and this year it's LaFreniere and the next it's Raty so I'm cool with that

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
What's wrong with our goaltending? Konovalev is a KHL All-Star this season, Rodrigue is at the World Juniors...

Skinner, Wells and Starrett are struggling, but I can't really comment on how much they're to blame.

The organization's immediate needs are at 3C, secondary wingers and a puck-moving D over the next couple seasons. I'm not really seeing the negative version considering our depth likely addresses a number of those needs, if not all of them.
Rodrigue is at the world Juniors but they trust him so little they didn't even give him a pre tournament game. He is just there to keep the press box stocked with popcorn, he also hasn't played that well this year

Skinner and Wells have both been various levels of bad as pros so far.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006

It comes down to whether or not one thinks we have a couple of seasons. That's why it's important this team makes the playoffs this year, they need to show things are headed in the right direction and I'm not sure they get there with the lineup as-is.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
A major part of our problem is too many of our key players who get the glory ice time make too many brain dead plays or mistakes at inopportune times. RNH, Draisatl, Klefbom, Nurse and even McDavid at times, take a simple play and try to make a complex one out of it or they take a simple play and completely bungle it up so badly by making a blind backhand pass to nobody or do a fly by or take the wrong man or take no man or create a blue line turnover and bam, the puck is in our net. The 5v5 +/- is brutal with these players and we lead the league in shorthanded goals against, combined is glaring evidence against this groups commitment to playing defence and making the correct play at the correct time, which is often the simplest play to make.

Until these guys decide to get it together and lead the team defensively as well as offensively we can add all the Taylor Halls we want. We still wont be a serious threat to contend.

Basically this. We have so many players who do not do anything meaningful game in and game out. Those players have to play, so then they get paid like a top pairing dman, 2nd line C, etc. Brutal cycle until we get more good hockey players.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
This summer he gives his final ultamatum. 1 year tops. Hes gone by 2021 January if this does not improve dramatically. Heard it here. Then all these pom pom waving Oiler fanatics who trashed on Hall can then rip 97 , when the real problem is the organization and the garbage they have built around him, the dead fans at the arena and the city.
I'm curious then, as to what happens when a player under contract for a good number of years refuses to play? Best in the world or not. Does he dog it on the ice? Does he not show up? How does a player under contract strongarm a team into doing something?

Honest question cause I can't recall something like this happening.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You know, there's a salary cap and the Oilers have no space under it.

You can send back short term salary like Gagner and/or Manning if need be or retain salary, they're not going to care about those guys eating popcorn in a press box. They would be selling for the purposes of gaining futures, any team selling views this season as a write off.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I'm curious then, as to what happens when a player under contract for a good number of years refuses to play? Best in the world or not. Does he dog it on the ice? Does he not show up? How does a player under contract strongarm a team into doing something?

Seriously? Dustin Byfuglien did it this year.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Rodrigue is at the world Juniors but they trust him so little they didn't even give him a pre tournament game. He is just there to keep the press box stocked with popcorn, he also hasn't played that well this year

Skinner and Wells have both been various levels of bad as pros so far.

I don't disagree with your takes for Skinner and Wells but Rodrigue at the world juniors is a bit of a bizarre situation. I don't understand hockey canada. Rodridgue is their most experienced international goaltender with excellent numbers at the U-16, U-17, U-18, Ivan Hlinka & was at the Summer Development camp. What's the point of having all these international tournaments & camps when they throw all that away and let the OHL coach start an undrafted 19 year old goaltender who has 54 GP in the OHL who basically came out of nowhere. Seems idiotic to me to throw all that experience out for a couple of new guys.

Rodrigue is on a powerhouse Moncton team who loaded up during the trade period for a memorial cup run. I'll pass judgement on him when the season is over. I'm not going to knock him for being the 3rd goalie when Hunter decided to start his boy from the OHL (who got lit up by the Russians) when he had Rodrigue who already has 10 international starts in his career.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017

The thing is , would you blame him for strong arming this embarrassing organization ? really ? Be honest with yourself ?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
how do you propose we squeeze Saad under the cap?

Puljujarvi
pick
Gagner (cap dump)

for

Saad @2 mill retained

Chicago opens up cap space for next season as he's under contract for next year but Edmonton gets a winger they need and would be looking for in the summer anyway. Gagner is irrelevant, they just press box or send him to the AHL for a few months.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
We have the lowest scoring bottom 6 forwards, hell I think even bottom 9 forwards in the entire league. All the players that Holland brought in this offseason have been complete debacles aside from Neal (who has been a debacle when he's not on the PP). There is a bit of hope with a few of them. Haas and Nygard look fast, but don't produce at all. Sheahan and Archibald PK, but are detrimental otherwise. Even two players who probably shouldn't be in the NHL in Chiasson and Khaira are outscoring all the additions that Holland made. Chiasson and Khaira aren't playing in the NHL if they aren't in Edmonton.

So far I think Holland has failed miserably. Yes, he didn't have much room to work with, but we also see lots of free agent additions and smaller trades that have took place involving high round draft picks where teams have acquired players who are doing far more in the middle and bottom 6's of their teams. Much better than anything Holland got.

I honestly think Holland failed miserably in his first offseason. He acquired quite a few new players, none of whom have had any amount of success given their opportunity.
based on this article:
GDB 43.0: Depth Scoring A Must in 2020 (5pm MT, SNW)

we are 17th since November

The Oilers’ depth forwards have scored the 17th most goals since November first. Again, not elite, but competitive. They need to continue that, and even improve by four or five spots to eliminate some stress from the top scorers.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
based on the standings, looks to me like the Oilers are going "in the right direction"
and if Connor has a problem, maybe him and his agent should talk to Holland about the direction of the team

After 43 games last year the Oilers had 43 points and -18 GD. This year they have 47 points and -10 GD. A slight improvement, sure, but an 89 point pace is probably not getting you into the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Hawks probably think Pulju is a bust and want nothing to do Gagner...plus they retain 2 mil on his salary?
no chance

That frees up $4 million in cap space for them next season, you understand that, right?

And rolling the dice on assets like Nylander, Strome (former high 1sts that haven't panned out) is kind of a strategy they seem to like to employ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad