Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: We Need HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
That's great to ask the question, but it doesn't matter why now.

You're into McDavid's 5th season and Draisaitl's 6th. You don't have time now to start over again, sorry.

This is like taking 4 hours to decide what to wear and asking the limo driver to turn around so you can change again, at some point someone needs to be slapped upside the head.

What they are going to have to do in reality is get an imperfect/not-so-great roster into the playoffs with some band-aid fixes, that buys them an interim phase where they can hopefully add in some more long term pieces, but they don't get that phase to begin with without some playoffs in the near term future.

There no reason you can't start over again . The Oilers finally have D coming . I think the quickest turn around for this team is to trade every last forward on the team . McDavid included . The team got no heart , no drive and Mcdavid will demand a trade soon at which time his value drops .

McDavid could get you a 1C+1D+2 top 6 wingers from a good deep team . Add in a couple of firsts and you are further ahead
Drasaitl Could get you a 2C +1 top 6 winger + 1st + a high end prospect
RNH could get you a great 3 C and a couple of decent prospects

You end up with 3 very good lines plus 3 first round picks and prospect to keep the team stacked for years . Fans are too focus on McDavid being the best in the world while the Oilers are one of the worst teams in the NHL . The Logo on the Jersey matters . Plus we owe it to McDavid . He should of already won a cup .

Friggin look at the Canucks . They flew pass the Oilers rebuild . NYR is about to and fans cry over the mention of trading RNH or Nurse LMAO

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You may underestimate the state of the Oiler fan base. Even with McDavid, this is perhaps as apathetic as I have seen it since Pocklington dismantled the dynasty. Hall is actually a very dynamic player to watch live. He has his flaws but in terms of his ability to bring you out of your seat he is one of the better players in the league. He is also a guy that still carries a lot of cache amongst more casual fans.

Ultimately, winning is the real answer to bringing back interest in the team. And I agree that panic is not the right approach. But even in the first couple of months when the team was doing well it was still pretty dead at the games I went to. The audience is sophisticated enough to know that you can't win by simply playing road hockey. But I do think that they would like to see a little pizzazz added in the mix.

The Oilers don't need a Taylor Hall to draw in fans, Arizona does. Arizona needs that shot in the arm for their fanbase, a gamebreaker. The Oilers already have the gamebreakers and the fans are still uninterested.

This is a smart fanbase. They aren't going to be enticed by a few months of Hall, they want to see a consistent winner. Renting Hall for a few months doesn't accomplish that. I'd even argue that overpaying Hall long term doesn't accomplish that because the team issues lie deeper than secondary scoring (goals against and lack of structure are arguably a bigger issue) and paying Hall a premium long term basically kills the option to build a balanced team.

Reactions: Anarchism

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
There no reason you can't start over again . The Oilers finally have D coming . I think the quickest turn around for this team is to trade every last forward on the team . McDavid included . The team got no heart , no drive and Mcdavid will demand a trade soon at which time his value drops .

McDavid could get you a 1C+1D+2 top 6 wingers from a good deep team . Add in a couple of firsts and you are further ahead

You end up with 3 very good lines plus 3 first round picks and prospect to keep the team stacked for years . Fans are too focus on McDavid being the best in the world while the Oilers are one of the worst teams in the NHL . The Logo on the Jersey matters . Plus we owe it to McDavid . He should of already won a cup .

Friggin look at the Canucks . They flew pass the Oilers rebuild . NYR is about to and fans cry over the mention of trading RNH or Nurse LMAO

Mo dizzle.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

I wouldn’t move McDavid but I’d consider moving Draisaitl if the return included Dahlin or Makar. The Canucks also hit on their 1st round picks. Peterson, Hughes, Boeser, Horvat while Edmonton was drafting busts like Yakupov and JP or another weak 1st OA like RNH.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You may underestimate the state of the Oiler fan base. Even with McDavid, this is perhaps as apathetic as I have seen it since Pocklington dismantled the dynasty. Hall is actually a very dynamic player to watch live. He has his flaws but in terms of his ability to bring you out of your seat he is one of the better players in the league. He is also a guy that still carries a lot of cache amongst more casual fans.

Ultimately, winning is the real answer to bringing back interest in the team. And I agree that panic is not the right approach. But even in the first couple of months when the team was doing well it was still pretty dead at the games I went to. The audience is sophisticated enough to know that you can't win by simply playing road hockey. But I do think that they would like to see a little pizzazz added in the mix.
If McDavid and Draisaitl scoring at a 140 point pace to start the season wasn't enough to bring the Rogers crowd out of its seat often enough, Taylor Hall's not doing it either.

It still doesn't click for me why people think this team is one player away from a playoff spot. The biggest failure this team could have is buying into that rental market at it's highest cost and still missing the playoffs. That is a very real possibility. And do you want McDavid up in arms? Keep pissing away those future assets.

Reactions: Raab

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
You know, there's a salary cap and the Oilers have no space under it.

And 1/2 the season is gone so 50% cap hit on a trade . Then if a team retains a little it doesn't take much to send back equal money . Not that it matters . Mcdavid is going to demand out soon enough , followed by RNH walking and then Draisaitl demanding a trade . Chia f***ed us good and proper with out even a kiss good bye but he did f*** us one last time with the Strome trade

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It comes down to whether or not one thinks we have a couple of seasons. That's why it's important this team makes the playoffs this year, they need to show things are headed in the right direction and I'm not sure they get there with the lineup as-is.
I'm not sure they get there with a handful of playoff rentals if they aren't trending that way now.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If McDavid and Draisaitl scoring at a 140 point pace to start the season wasn't enough to bring the Rogers crowd out of its seat often enough, Taylor Hall's not doing it either.

It still doesn't click for me why people think this team is one player away from a playoff spot. The biggest failure this team could have is buying into that rental market at it's highest cost and still missing the playoffs. That is a very real possibility. And do you want McDavid up in arms? Keep pissing away those future assets.

That’s it exactly, were like 10 players away from icing a competitive team. Not 1 or 2, which is why I suggest we get as much depth for secondary assets as we can.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
People complaining about our bottom 6 being trash but last years bottom 6 was trash also. People complaining about Holland not improving our bottom 6 from last year when he had 0 cap space to work with. What Holland did was the only thing he could do which was bring in low budget players for the bottom 6 and hope they gelled and played better then last years. And imo Holland did improve the bottom 6 over last year he Also brought in players to improve our pk over last year. Holland obviously still has lots of work to do bringing in a 2lw a 3c and a decent back up but those are bigger moves that will take a little more time.

I agree and I thinks it goes a little deeper than that.
I think that Holland looked at the deficiencies of this team and made a decision on how to address them with what was available to work with. The PK was terrible and many of the players he brought in addressed that problem and it was done by using as little cap space as possible which was a major limitation Holland had to deal with.

So considering he had little to no cap space Holland addressed the PK issue and he addressed part of the top 6 winger issue by dumping a bottom 6 (essentially useless player) like Lucic and adding a 20+ goal scorer in Neal.
Is Neal ideal...no. But Neal is a huge upgrade on Lucic in multiple ways and it greatly help the PP as well.
So Holland clearly improved a very important element in the game...special teams and he improved the winger issue on the team as well.

So as much as some posters want to deny the reality....Holland actually did improve the team.
Was it enough...of course not but only an impatient fool thinks that a GM was going to be able to deal with the reality that Chia left and turn it into a contender in one off season and 40+ regular season games.

The true measure of what kind of a job Holland has done as GM will come by next September.
This team must be a playoff lock trending to be a contender by then.

Last edited:
Reactions: GOilers88 and Ck1

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003

Probably not too surprising. Lots of ice time+lots of PK time pretty much automatically means lots of blocked shots (Klef still leads the entire NHL in minutes played), unless the D is actively avoiding them. And the other way to get lots of blocked shots is by just not being good and being a reason why you are in own zone all the time having to block shots to survive, which guys like Russell and Borowiecki fall under.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Were 4 key players plus a couple of farm hands we already have ...

Even 4 key players is a big deal. If we keep RNH and Nurse we need players better then them to force them down the lineup. At minimum we need two top line forwards, a selke caliber 2 way center, a #1dman, and a #3 dman. If we keep RNH and Nurse we no longer have the capspace to add these things if one becomes available. But even if we can keep them this team is 2-3 years away. The early season run wasn’t sustainable with Mcdavid and Draisaitl playing 23 minutes a night.

Here’s what I’d consider a good roster.

Top line LW-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
RNH-Selke Center-Top Line RW

Klefbom-#1 Dman
Nurse-#3 Dman

When you look at it like that. Does it really make sense to pay your #4 dman, and your 2nd line LW 6M plus?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

The Oilers screw up this version of the rebuild and they're done with a large portion of their fanbase IMO.

Too many people have been sold this hope/future nonsense for 13 years and this would be the straw that breaks the camel's back.

Not many people are down for a 4th freaking straight rebuild, if you couldn't get it done with a generational talent, I have zero confidence in the Oilers to ever do anything right, a lot of people would bail on the team and their season ticket sales would collapse.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Do you legitimately think this.. ?

Yes, at least that. Look at how Boston and St. Louis are built. They’re competitive from top to bottom. Good part is we have 3 core pieces in Mcdavid, Draisaitl, Klefbom. If Koskinen was younger I’d count him in their as well.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
Let's take a hypothetical walk here...

Say Holland picks up Tierney and Ennis from Ottawa and they still miss the post season. What is fundamentally different?

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I agree and I thinks it goes a little deeper than that.
I think that Holland looked at the deficiencies of this team and made a decision on how to address them with what was available to work with. The PK was terrible and many of the players he brought in addressed that problem and it was done by using as little cap space as possible which was a major limitation Holland had to deal with.

So considering he had little to no cap space Holland addressed the PK issue and he addressed part of the top 6 winger issue by dumping a bottom 6 (essentially useless player) like Lucic and adding a 20+ goal scorer in Neal.
Is Neal ideal...no. But Neal is a huge upgrade on Lucic in multiple ways and it greatly help the PP as well.
So Holland clearly improved a very important element in the game...special teams and he improved the winger issue on the team as well.

So as much as some posters want to deny the reality....Holland actually did improve the team.
Was it enough...of course not but only an impatient fool thinks that a GM was going to be able to deal with the reality that Chia left and turn it into a contender in one off season and 40+ regular season games.

The true measure of what kind of a job Holland has done as GM will come by next September.
This team must be a playoff lock trending to be a contender by then

There is no chance we are a lock for playoffs next year, not a chance in bloody hell. As others have said, this team is 7-9 players away from being good, let alone being great. How are we going to get a 3C, 4C, 2 top-6 wingers, a backup goalie, a top-2 dman, and a top-4 dman in one off-season? That isn't happening. Even with all 7 of those players, we STILL wouldn't be a lock of the playoffs.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Holland could have traded for.....

Niskanen
Miller
Soderberg
Haula
Burakovsky
Brown
Kadri
Barrie
Gusev
Namestnikov
Fabbri
Stephenson
Hall

And probably made a trade for someone who hasn’t been traded for yet. Just calling up yamatomo and other plugs. The new Talbellini.

can we get Lowe back as GM yet.... honestly. He was our best GM since and after Lather......

Yeah this isn't NHL 20 where he can use a video game controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->