Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread: We Need HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
After 43 games last year the Oilers had 43 points and -18 GD. This year they have 47 points and -10 GD. A slight improvement, sure, but an 89 point pace is probably not getting you into the playoffs.
well then McDavid might wanna look in the mirror...dude has 21 points in his last 20 games and is a -12

this is a wild idea, but the team may wanna learn defense...tied for 29th in GA isn't gonna get you in the playoffs

Reactions: McFuhryous

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The biggest offensive addition that Holland has brought in was James Neal who is an absolute debacle at 5 on 5. After him, the biggest addition has been Gaetan Haas who has 7 points.

Sheahan with 6, Archibald with 6, Nygard with 6, and then Granlund with 4 who is gone.

While Holland should be lauded for the Neal for Lucic swap, all of his offseason moves aside from that have been brutal misses.

Let me put it this way:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Neal*
Kassian
Nugent-Hopkins
Klefbom
Nurse
Bear
Chiasson
Khaira
Gagner

We have the lowest scoring bottom 6 forwards, hell I think even bottom 9 forwards in the entire league. All the players that Holland brought in this offseason have been complete debacles aside from Neal (who has been a debacle when he's not on the PP). There is a bit of hope with a few of them. Haas and Nygard look fast, but don't produce at all. Sheahan and Archibald PK, but are detrimental otherwise. Even two players who probably shouldn't be in the NHL in Chiasson and Khaira are outscoring all the additions that Holland made. Chiasson and Khaira aren't playing in the NHL if they aren't in Edmonton.

The scary part is that our defence is honestly worse. Bear, Nurse, and Klefbom are CAPABLE NHL defencemen. They aren't top pairing guys. Klefbom plays huge minutes but that's only out of necessity. The talks of him being a top pairing defenceman, let alone a #1 defenceman like some of you psychos were proclaiming at the start of the season were asinine.

I admit it is hard to compare one defensive corps to another at times. It's sickening to look at our defensive group and realize that to actually have a GOOD defence, we would need to add two defencemen to this roster who are currently better than anyone else we have. Dropping everyone in our group down two spots in the lineup would solve a lot of issues. The fact we have Ethan Bear as our 'saving grace' makes me want to laugh and cry simultaneously.

I don't think Bouchard is the answer either. I don't think we can wait for Broberg to hopefully develop into that either.

So far I think Holland has failed miserably. Yes, he didn't have much room to work with, but we also see lots of free agent additions and smaller trades that have took place involving high round draft picks where teams have acquired players who are doing far more in the middle and bottom 6's of their teams. Much better than anything Holland got.

I honestly think Holland failed miserably in his first offseason. He acquired quite a few new players, none of whom have had any amount of success given their opportunity.

I hate to say it but it's starting to look like you're right.

The Neal trade was a good one, but the rest has not been so great. Sheahan looks like he's starting to get going at least. But still not enough.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
This is an assessment year for Ken Holland. I think once he gets a good handle on who he really wants to keep going forward he'll pull some triggers. Similar to what Chia did with Hall after the first year.

It really wouldn't surprise me if Holland moved just about anyone who he doesn't want on the team moving forward (depending on talent, attitudes, how the player affects the culture of the team etc). It wouldn't at all surprise me if he traded the likes of Drai, Nuge, Nurse etc. Whether it be in the offseason or the trade deadline will depend on where the team is at or where he is in his assessment process. I have a feeling there will be some overhaul.... the way things look with the team and it's current culture. Things might change if they figure it out though in the second half of the season and I think Holland would like to see it unfold.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
That frees up $4 million in cap space for them next season, you understand that, right?

And rolling the dice on assets like Nylander, Strome (former high 1sts that haven't panned out) is kind of a strategy they seem to like to employ.
if it were that easy, this would've been done yesterday!
my guess is the Hawks have no interest in Jessee

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
well then McDavid might wanna look in the mirror...dude has 21 points in his last 20 games and is a -12

this is a wild idea, but the team may wanna learn defense...tied for 29th in GA isn't gonna get you in the playoffs

McDavid has been in on something like 70% of the Oilers' offence this year, is he supposed to stop the puck as well? He's the last guy I blame for the state of things.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
The thing is , would you blame him for strong arming this embarrassing organization ? really ? Be honest with yourself ?
If Holland after a couple of seasons proves to be a dud, no not at all. After 42 games? Ridiculous notion.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
McDavid has been in on something like 70% of the Oilers' offence this year, is he supposed to stop the puck as well? He's the last guy I blame for the state of things.
I rather McDavid only putting up 100 points while playing defense and setting an example for the team than coasting when he doesn't have the puck.

Reactions: Oil53

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Seriously? Dustin Byfuglien did it this year.
Totally spaced on Buff. So his contract would just come off the books then? Or they could just hold him and let him sit out? If McD tomorrow took the JP approach, do we think he'd be traded right away? What could he even do in the meantime?

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
I rather McDavid only putting up 100 points while playing defense and setting an example for the team than coasting when he doesn't have the puck.

I'd rather he played on a team with actual NHL players. This blaming the best players for a s**t team stuff is always nonsense.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
No one is talking about McDavid pulling the chute now, but that the clock is ticking.
There's at least a few vocal folks around here that seem to think it's do or die this year and that if they don't make the playoffs this season it's all over.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Totally spaced on Buff. So his contract would just come off the books then? Or they could just hold him and let him sit out? If McD tomorrow took the JP approach, do we think he'd be traded right away? What could he even do in the meantime?

I'm not sure what the CBA implication are but if he Denis Lemieux'd this team, I'd expect they'd want to move him sooner than later because of the distraction and the fact they would be absolutely awful without him.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
There's at least a few vocal folks around here that seem to think it's do or die this year and that if they don't make the playoffs this season it's all over.

I don't agree with your assessment. I think the idea is that making the playoffs this year would head off some problems down the road.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
he is absolutely partly to blame for the current slide
as I mentioned before, the "depth" scoring is up to 17th in the league since November, so they're not even needed to completely carry the load

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I don't agree with your assessment. I think the idea is that making the playoffs this year would head off some problems down the road.
I don't disagree with you on the notion that making it this year relieves some tension, but there's definitely a couple people acting like McD is going to want out because Holland won't do anything this year.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't disagree with you on the notion that making it this year relieves some tension, but there's definitely a couple people acting like McD is going to want out because Holland won't do anything this year.

Yeah...it doesnt make a lot of sense.
Holland was very clear about his plans and that turning the team wont involve trying quick fixes.
He obviously had the same conversation internally with the core group as well.

So this panic around McDavid has no basis in reality. Its just something to b**** about.
McDavid isnt stupid (like some posters are indirectly implying)...he knows full well what the situation is this season.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The biggest offensive addition that Holland has brought in was James Neal who is an absolute debacle at 5 on 5. After him, the biggest addition has been Gaetan Haas who has 7 points.

Sheahan with 6, Archibald with 6, Nygard with 6, and then Granlund with 4 who is gone.

While Holland should be lauded for the Neal for Lucic swap, all of his offseason moves aside from that have been brutal misses.

Let me put it this way:

McDavid
Draisaitl
Neal*
Kassian
Nugent-Hopkins
Klefbom
Nurse
Bear
Chiasson
Khaira
Gagner

We have the lowest scoring bottom 6 forwards, hell I think even bottom 9 forwards in the entire league. All the players that Holland brought in this offseason have been complete debacles aside from Neal (who has been a debacle when he's not on the PP). There is a bit of hope with a few of them. Haas and Nygard look fast, but don't produce at all. Sheahan and Archibald PK, but are detrimental otherwise. Even two players who probably shouldn't be in the NHL in Chiasson and Khaira are outscoring all the additions that Holland made. Chiasson and Khaira aren't playing in the NHL if they aren't in Edmonton.

The scary part is that our defence is honestly worse. Bear, Nurse, and Klefbom are CAPABLE NHL defencemen. They aren't top pairing guys. Klefbom plays huge minutes but that's only out of necessity. The talks of him being a top pairing defenceman, let alone a #1 defenceman like some of you psychos were proclaiming at the start of the season were asinine.

I admit it is hard to compare one defensive corps to another at times. It's sickening to look at our defensive group and realize that to actually have a GOOD defence, we would need to add two defencemen to this roster who are currently better than anyone else we have. Dropping everyone in our group down two spots in the lineup would solve a lot of issues. The fact we have Ethan Bear as our 'saving grace' makes me want to laugh and cry simultaneously.

I don't think Bouchard is the answer either. I don't think we can wait for Broberg to hopefully develop into that either.

So far I think Holland has failed miserably. Yes, he didn't have much room to work with, but we also see lots of free agent additions and smaller trades that have took place involving high round draft picks where teams have acquired players who are doing far more in the middle and bottom 6's of their teams. Much better than anything Holland got.

I honestly think Holland failed miserably in his first offseason. He acquired quite a few new players, none of whom have had any amount of success given their opportunity.

Sheahan, Haas and Archibald have been improving as the season goes on. Our bottom six is actually decent right now defensively but still poor on offence. Neal is trash 5x5 but he was a great return for Lucic and is still deadly on the PP. Khaira and Chaisson are NHLers but shouldn't be playing any higher then the 4th line. Obviously this team needs a lot of work which I'm hoping will take place this offseason. In a dream offseason Holland would acquire 2 top 6 wingers, a young 3C with 2C potential, a young 1B goalie and a top pairing RD. We'd also need Yamamoto, Benson and Bouchard to be ready next season. Next years roster's blueprint would look something like this;

Draisaitl-Mcdavid-Kassian
xxx-RNH-xxx
Neal-xxx-Yamamoto
Benson-xxx-Chaisson

Klefbom-xxx
Nurse-Larsson
xxx-Bear/Bouchard

Koskinen
xxx

Obvously we can't fill all the holes thru free agency but there are budget options for the wing like Granlund, Galchenyuk or the big fish, Hall. For RD theres some good options with Pietrangelo being the biggest name out there. After that you have options like Barrie, Faulk Krug and Spurgeon. Our best value options would be to sign Granlund, Galchenyuk and Spurgeon instead of going big game hunting for Hall or Pietrangelo.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Chabot84

Oct 24, 2009
I feel like insiders are leaking stuff here.. where this is smoke sometimes there is fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad