Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Kassian Extension Before Trade Deadline? Anything Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
f*** no to Pulju for Bennett.

We could be handing the Flames a 60+ point top line rw filling their biggest hole and getting a mediocre 3rd liner back. Bennett sucks.

Reactions: MikeFLB

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Labanc would be a good add. 2nd rounders this year and next.

Labanc - Mcdavid - Kassian
Nuge - Drai - Yamamoto
Benson - X - Neal
Nygard - Sheahan - Archibald

Then package Pulju and Jones for a guy that can play 3c

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014

Nuge - Drai - Yamamoto
Benson - X - Neal

I don’t know if Sharks are willing to part ways with a good future piece for two seconds.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
**** no to Pulju for Bennett.

We could be handing the Flames a 60+ point top line rw filling their biggest hole and getting a mediocre 3rd liner back. Bennett sucks.

I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. Bennett would be a quality third line grit guy with versatility for wing-centre position. He's unlikely to realize the offensive upside of his draft projections but this is a high character player who can move around in the lineup and contribute in a lot of ways. Every Flames fan I know loves this player. I've been impressed in live viewings when I lived in Cowtown.

There is some risk with Pulji having excellent size and elite pedigree. But he doesn't look likely to reach it with his Euro reset. Ultimately I think Bennett would bring more to the Oilers roster with versatility and grit to complement the high end finesse core. Sold ... but I don't think Flames management would be convinced to make this deal.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Haula is apparently on the outs.

Straight up for Benning or Puljujarvi + Manning/Gagner

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
I'd make that deal in a heartbeat. Bennett would be a quality third line grit guy with versatility for wing-centre position. He's unlikely to realize the offensive upside of his draft projections but this is a high character player who can move around in the lineup and contribute in a lot of ways. Every Flames fan I know loves this player. I've been impressed in live viewings when I lived in Cowtown.

There is some risk with Pulji having excellent size and elite pedigree. But he doesn't look likely to reach it with his Euro reset. Ultimately I think Bennett would bring more to the Oilers roster with versatility and grit to complement the high end finesse core. Sold ... but I don't think Flames management would be convinced to make this deal.
Bennett offers absolutely nothing. We already have an overpaid Chiasson why bring in another player exactly like him who can't score to save his life but is also like Kassian where he takes dumb penalties at dumb times.

space321

May 11, 2011
Haula is apparently on the outs.

Straight up for Benning or Puljujarvi + Manning/Gagner

Source? Haula would be an ideal add to this team. Smart player that can play C/W in the top 6. PK and PP as well. Assuming he's back to near 100% from his injuries that is...

Reactions: Not Canada Drai

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I would trade Pulju for Bennett, some risk with Pulju having a potentially higher ceiling, but Bennett looks to be a player now and likely for a long time to come, his secondary attributes likely make him a long time 3rd line fixture even if the offense doesn't come fully through.

This is how I see it. Bennett has grit and at worst is a 3rd line guy. Pulju could be a complete bust and even if not, he doesn't want to be here.

replacement

Oct 20, 2018
I'm not a fan of Bennett, he head hunts, and blindsides. To me that's not the kind of grit we should be looking for.

If we're looking for that kind of deal for Pulju, my first stop is Jordan Greenway in Minny. 22 year old Pending RFA, decent numbers in his first 2 pro seasons, big and mobile.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bennett offers absolutely nothing. We already have an overpaid Chiasson why bring in another player exactly like him who can't score to save his life but is also like Kassian where he takes dumb penalties at dumb times.

We'll disagree. Chiasson's a decent depth guy whose bounced around in part because of a low rev motor and inconsistency despite his size. I don't mind this guy at all in finding a home on the Oilers - a bit expensive aside. Bennett is a high motor player with grit who battles, hits and brings energy to his shifts. He's a ten to twenty goal scorer who likely won't reach his draft projection for offence but can be a sandpaper support player with strong hockey IQ and character, imo.

Kassian burns similar hot I would agree. But today's Kassian has significantly reduced his dumb penalties and has become a key engine in driving this team. Both guys can play in any game situation with decent skills and smarts but can man up with gritty physical games that help set the tone. Bennett's stalled out in Calgary but this is the type of reclamation project with draft pedigree, hockey IQ, and grit who could blossom with a fresh start. He's also the type of player Calgary would never trade to Edmonton.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
We've got a good thing going with our 2nd line now and IMO Hall would've been a better linemate for Drai than Connor. So I would be targeting a winger for Connor. I'd want that player to be fast, defensively responsible, physical (preferably big as well) and able to shoot and pass the puck well. Krieder would've been ideal IMO but of course he doesn't want to come to Canada.
I pretty much agree with this sentiment, with respect to our 2nd line though I want a larger sample size before I commit to that trio. What worries about the line is in the past RNH and Drai really haven't shown a ton of chemistry, so I think of Yamo as the glue piece that makes the line work and given his relative inexperience I'm not sure if he can keep his current play up over a longer time frame. Generally solid lines are built around a duo that has strong chemistry and generally they are the two best players on the line and then a 3rd wheel who is relatively interchangeable. In this particular case I don't think the 3rd wheel is interchangeable and if he falters, I suspect we'd revert back to more the tried and tested McDrai line rather than RNH + Drai and new 3rd wheel.

IMO Hall works with Drai or RNH and while I'm sure he'd "work" with McDavid, I just don't foresee us getting the best out of either player with them as a duo given each players idiosyncrasies. Since Drai has two potential lines he'd work on, I'd try to get a linemate that works well with either of McDavid or RNH, in my mind that means a player that is both skilled and smart, a good 5 on 5 player, and helps drive possession, my ideal would be someone like Nikolaj Ehlers and the realistic option would be Brandon Saad.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
**** no to Pulju for Bennett.

Couldnt disagree more.
Bennett is a solid player. I would have him on this team any day of the week.
That being said....no way Calgary makes that trade.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
We'll disagree. Chiasson's a decent depth guy whose bounced around in part because of a low rev motor and inconsistency despite his size. I don't mind this guy at all in finding a home on the Oilers - a bit expensive aside. Bennett is a high motor player with grit who battles, hits and brings energy to his shifts. He's a ten to twenty goal scorer who likely won't reach his draft projection for offence but can be a sandpaper support player with strong hockey IQ and character, imo.

Kassian burns similar hot I would agree. But today's Kassian has significantly reduced his dumb penalties and has become a key engine in driving this team. Both guys can play in any game situation with decent skills and smarts but can man up with gritty physical games that help set the tone. Bennett's stalled out in Calgary but this is the type of reclamation project with draft pedigree, hockey IQ, and grit who could blossom with a fresh start. He's also the type of player Calgary would never trade to Edmonton.

Bennett doesn’t have great hockey IQ. It’s actually the biggest thing holding him back because he has above average everything else (except size).

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Couldnt disagree more.
Bennett is a solid player. I would have him on this team any day of the week.
That being said....no way Calgary makes that trade.
In all likelyhood you are right, but per Brian Burke Calgary did have Pulju over Matthew Tkachuk on their draft board so I have some lingering hope that they might still value him highly or atleast as highly as Bennett who is having an underwhelming season. Calgary also took on 3 of our players this off-season it seems like internally there is atleast some thought that the Oilers are a f'd up organization and think they can turn around our rejects back into good/useful players.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011

Nuge - Drai - Yamamoto
Benson - X - Neal

I don’t know if Sharks are willing to part ways with a good future piece for two seconds.

Value is there.. but as he said. San jose dont part ways of 2 seconds. Add a first.

And as quick-fix happy as HfBoard is, I follow in the same pattern..

The lines up there is good, but I think McDavid best thrives with an elite winger. Is Labanc the best fit?
We dont need to package Pulju + Jones for a god damn 3 C, the cost is lower.

And Oilers have a intressting prospect in Lavoie, but ofC, he needs time. Maybe two - one year in AHL.

A first for a elite winger. And I mean elite. Like Hoffman.

Pulju + Jones+KursRussell (cap dump) for a 3C and a 2nd pick. Like Bonino.

Hoffman McDavid Kassian
Nuge Draisaitl Yamamoto
Benson/Haas (if Benson cant keep up) Bonino Neal
Nygård Sheahan Archibald

As everybody knows now, I like Haas. Dont think we should throw him away.

Everything is leaning towards we have to give up Nuge or Neal (cost) for that elite winger. And I dont think Neal is in the plans to be McDavids trigger man, he just dont deliver.
6,5 m$ is worth of getting rid of Lucics contract and his play, and getting a player that actually can play - the cost is too much for someone who isn´t a first liner.
We should have tried Nuge Draisaitl Neal, instead of bulking up three of the four most skilled guys on a 2nd line...

May suggest otherwise :
Yamamoto McDavid Kassian
Nuge Draisaitl Neal
Benson Bonino Haas
Nygård Sheahan Archibald

Getting a new winger that cost, takes the cost of trading away the cost of Neal. Remember, cost and value is diffrent things, and in Neals case, those doesnt match, in a tight capworld where Oilers are as tight they are in cap. And with over 4m$ in dead cap!

No to Bennet.
Hunt Bonino..
maybe kick the tires of Kapanen or Kreider..?

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Bennett doesn’t have great hockey IQ. It’s actually the biggest thing holding him back because he has above average everything else (except size).

Nah, I might be overstating high hockey IQ but he's not deficient in this area. 18 goals and 36 points in his first NHL season. 11 points in 20 playoff games. There's solid ability there but his development, as majority of young players, has been inconsistent. It hasn't helped that he's bumped all over their lineup positionally and depth wise. I think there is a disconnect between player and organization which has led to a fourth line role.

He's a prime candidate second chance reclamation project for someone. Belief & opportunity in a new organization and renewed confidence are likely a requirement for this player. Won't be an elite scorer but can still be a quality, smart and commitment support player that is tough to play against. I'd say lower case Kadr from the agitator, abrasive defender side without the quality offensive numbers.

Edit: I've prolly had 15-20 live viewings of Bennett.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Nah, I might be overstating high hockey IQ but he's not deficient in this area. 18 goals and 36 points in his first NHL season. 11 points in 20 playoff games. There's solid ability there but his development, as majority of young players, has been inconsistent. It hasn't helped that he's bumped all over their lineup positionally and depth wise. I think there is a disconnect between player and organization which has led to a fourth line role.

He's a prime candidate second chance reclamation project for someone. Belief & opportunity in a new organization and renewed confidence are likely a requirement for this player. Won't be an elite scorer but can still be a quality, smart and commitment support player that is tough to play against. I'd say lower case Kadr from the agitator, abrasive defender side without the quality offensive numbers.

Kadri without the offense isn’t that great; it’s not even good tbh. I don’t see it with this player. He looks lost on the ice every game I watch the Flames play.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Kadri without the offense isn’t that great; it’s not even good tbh. I don’t see it with this player. He looks lost on the ice every game I watch the Flames play.

I think Kadri is a quality 2C and very solid and dogged defender. Some clown show but a very good grit guy. That aside, we disagree about Bennett and he's dropped to fourth line on the Flames. I see him differently and we'll leave it at that. He is most definitely a player of interest for me and to see what's there in a new environment. It won't be in Edmonton but I would love to see how he would be as a 3C or winger. I've seen lots of subtle, smart play in live viewings.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I think Kadri is a quality 2C and very solid and dogged defender. Some clown show but a very good grit guy. That aside, we disagree about Bennett and he's dropped to fourth line on the Flames. I see him differently and we'll leave it at that. He is most definitely a player of interest for me and to see what's there in a new environment. It won't be in Edmonton but I would love to see how he would be as a 3C or winger. I've seen lots of subtle, smart play in live viewings.

Kadri without the offense isn’t the same player though. I don’t think Bennett is even better than Sheahan, and you can get those types for 1M, not over 2M.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I have a feeling Holland's top priority this offseason is getting Puljujarvi to give Edmonton another shot. We can all agree that he would be a big improvement with our brutal lack of depth on the wings. If he could come in and even give us the production he did a couple years ago, he would improve our team. Now imagine he has progressed as a player and could put up like a 0.5 PPG. That would be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad