Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Kassian Extension Before Trade Deadline? Anything Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
This team has no #1D and no one playing like a #1D.

It's silly to throw that title around and act like any one of Klef, Nurse or Bear are definitively above the others.
If you want to make that argument go ahead, just stop with the weak even strength minutes argument, it's completely unreasonable to expect Klef to play any more than he already is.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Klefbom - #2
Bear - #3
Nurse - #3
Larsson - #4
Russell - #6
Benning - #6

#2-#3
#3-#4
#6-#6

The defensive core is pretty decent. If Bouchard can be a #3 by next season, we will be in fantastic shape.

Reactions: Anarchism

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Don't get this bickering about Nurse , Klefbom and Bear .
Klefbom is our best D , Nurse is a close 2nd and he better in some ways .
Bear is not better then Nurse over all but he is better in some ways . He compliments Nurse very well and Nurse does the same for Bear .

Ideally Nurse and Klefbom are 2/3 D on a contending team . So we need 1 better D then both of them

Klefbom/Nurse Doughty is a great top pair but Nurse works with bear and Klefbom has been trusted more by the coaches for a reason . so you would run

Klefbom Doughty
Nurse Bear
Jones Bouchard
Lagesson

Doughty is in there as an example only by no means do I think we re trading for him but damn it would be nice to add him and Getzlaf whom both hate Calgary and both would be happy playing for the Oilers

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
If you want to make that argument go ahead, just stop with the weak even strength minutes argument, it's completely unreasonable to expect Klef to play any more than he already is.

The point is teams try to maximize their #1D's 5v5 ice time.

The Oilers obviously aren't doing that with Klef. It's defense by committee. Nurse/Bear are the 5v5 workhorses and he's the special teams guy. There is no #1D role.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I’d like to know the whole story on that, Wideman was a negative on the deal but adding Backlund to drop 2 spots would seem like a no brainer...oh right, it was Chiarelli so “no-brainer” kind of fits

It is not political correct . You can not put down intellectual disability people/Chia . Edmonton Oilers are an equal opportunity employee but I think they learned about put such people with these disability into a top job .

Reactions: Faelko

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I don't get the bitching about Nurse/Bear/Klef. At the end of the day we need a #1d and optimally we run this setup:

Klefbom - 1d
Nurse - Bear
Jones/Russel - Benning

If Bouchard turns out to be the guy he was drafted to be then we're golden. A 50+ point pp quarterback #1RHD...

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Klefbom - #2
Bear - #3
Nurse - #3
Larsson - #4
Russell - #6
Benning - #6

#2-#3
#3-#4
#6-#6

The defensive core is pretty decent. If Bouchard can be a #3 by next season, we will be in fantastic shape.
I'd say-
Klef- #2
Bear- #3 (on the whole I'd say Bear has outplayed Nurse and if you think him a product of Nurse, his numbers were even better when he was paired with Klefbom)
Nurse- #3/#4 (becoming less inconsistent with time, but it still dogs him a bit)
Larsson- #5 (seems to be quickly trending out of this tier, but too much bad hockey out of him in the past year and a half to consider him 2nd pairing quality, in my eyes he slipped a rung and is in the process of climbing his way back up)
Russell- #5 (I've long considered him a 4/5D tweener, but I think his game has sunk enough that he's just a great #5D now)
Benning- #5 (Him and Russell were demolishing the competition numbers wise this season, two #6's don't fair that well if they are both truly #6D, Russell- Benning is a stronger duo than 90% of the 3rd D pairs in the league)

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Nurse/Bear play the most 5v5 minutes and against top competition because they've been significantly better at it.

Nurse isn't 6th in the league in 5v5 toi/gp just because Klefbom misses a few shifts.
So why is Nurse 6th in the league then¿ isn't he just being carried by this #1Dman named Bear¿

To claim Bear is a #1NHL dman is absurd no matter what the stats.

Klefbom > Nurse >Bear

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Khaira and Benning straight up for Bennett and Jankowski. Easy trade to make here.

I would not do that even tho value favour Edmonton . Benning is a good bottom pairing D . Don't want Khaira running Oilers players if he pissed over the trade .

Chiasson + Puljujarvi + Manning + 2021 2nd

Calgary players are much better then their current stats show .

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
He has 5 points

6pts... but I don't get the obsession with Bennett. It's like Hab fans with Yakupov.

Bennett reminds me of a slightly skilled grinder. Chiasson basically.

All that potential he had in junior... gone. He's just not skilled enough and lacks the hockey IQ to put up serious points.

Reactions: TB12

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I would trade Pulju for Bennett, some risk with Pulju having a potentially higher ceiling, but Bennett looks to be a player now and likely for a long time to come, his secondary attributes likely make him a long time 3rd line fixture even if the offense doesn't come fully through.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Is it crazy to think Benning is the best player in that deal?

If he is it's not by much.

I think I'd do that deal without any hesitation so I'm not sure they'd go for it.

I'm not against Benning but he's replaceable and probably doesn't have a spot here next year anyways.

May as well use him to try to upgrade at forward.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
The point is teams try to maximize their #1D's 5v5 ice time.

The Oilers obviously aren't doing that with Klef. It's defense by committee. Nurse/Bear are the 5v5 workhorses and he's the special teams guy. There is no #1D role.
Klef plays more 5v5 minutes than Bear.

If you want to hold to this 5v5 minutes argument why don't you take it to other fanbases, explain to them how Dmitry Orlov is better than John Carlsson, how Colton Parayko is better than Alex Pietrangelo, how Alex Goligoski is better than OEL, and how Ben Chiarot is better than Jeff Petry. Once you've convinced all those fanbases that you are in fact correct, come back and try to convince this fanbase.

Reactions: LaGu and Kolja

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Didn't like his game in junior. Never been a fan of the guy.

His game in Jr was similar to Brule. It worked against smaller/weaker Jr players but not against men. I think Bennett has changed his game enough to be an effective NHL player but he won’t be a great point producer. I think he’d be an effective LW with McDavid though.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
His game in Jr was similar to Brule. It worked against smaller/weaker Jr players but not against men. I think Bennett has changed his game enough to be an effective NHL player but he won’t be a great point producer. I think he’d be an effective LW with McDavid though.
I want someone better to play with McDavid.

You're right though. He showed glimpses of high end skill in junior but when teams didn't give him any room he wilted. Crouse was a different breed but he was similarly ineffective against a stifling attack.

I think Bennett could salvage a decent career as a Benoit Pouliot-like checking line forward, but I don't see many outstanding offensive campaigns in his future. And I certainly wouldn't waste any time trying to find that untapped potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad