Rumor: Rumors and Proposals Thread | Spector: Kassian Extension Before Trade Deadline? Anything Else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
I know its a minor ease from the salary cap but could the Oilers release Brandon Manning's contract due to code of conduct and get some savings and free up a roster spot? I don't imagine hes ever going to get called up again seeing as how Nurse and Jones are on the team and they would want to beat the **** out of him immediately after he sets foot in the locker room. A 5 game suspension does not seem enough.

What a trash human being. I would not be surprised if he did injure Mcdavid on purpose. Thanks Chia.

Lmao why would they want to beat the shit out of him? Literally no-one cares about what he said.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
#1D don't play the third most 5v5 minutes on their team.

A few things.

1) Klefbom is 22nd in the NHL in even strength time on ice per game. Yes, Nurse has more, but not by much (50 seconds per game, or one decent shift).

2) Klefbom also leads this team in short handed time on ice. He’s as “all situations” as all situations gets.

3) Both Nurse and Bear have better partners (each other) than Klefbom has had since 16-17.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I didn't say anything about projection either, stop putting words in my mouth.

If Bear got powerplay time he'd be in the same realm of points that Makar and Hughes are right now. I didn't say a thing about upside, or in 5 years.

That's what I meant about projection, that you're projecting if he got top unit PP time that he'd be nearly a PPG scorer like Makar. Sorry, that's just crazy IMO. Makar has 11 goals and 37 points in 41 games. Bear doesn't have near the offensive talent to pull off numbers like that even with all the gravy PP time. Bouchard who has more natural offensive ability than Bear doesn't have the ability to put up Makar numbers.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
I didn't say anything about projection either, stop putting words in my mouth.

If Bear got powerplay time he'd be in the same realm of points that Makar and Hughes are right now. I didn't say a thing about upside, or in 5 years.
I’d love to agree with you, but Bear simply doesn’t lead an attack, jump up on the play, or back off defenders 5v5 anything like Hughes or Makar do. I’m ecstatic how Bear has solidified 2nd pairing RH and I think more is to come, but he just doesn’t compare to those two.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I’d love to agree with you, but Bear simply doesn’t lead an attack, jump up on the play, or back off defenders 5v5 anything like Hughes or Makar do. I’m ecstatic how Bear has solidified 2nd pairing RH and I think more is to come, but he just doesn’t compare to those two.

I’m talking purely about point production.

Bear has one less even strength point than Hughes.

Klefbom has 15 powerplay points. Bear has one.

If it was Bear in that spot it makes sense he’d have similar production, yes?

it’s not unreasonable to assume Bear would be in the 30 point range if he was the PPQB. He doesn’t skate as well, and he’s not as dynamic on the rush, but there are lots of ways to be effective in this league and they don’t all need to be flashy.

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
A few things.

1) Klefbom is 22nd in the NHL in even strength time on ice per game. Yes, Nurse has more, but not by much (50 seconds per game, or one decent shift).

2) Klefbom also leads this team in short handed time on ice. He’s as “all situations” as all situations gets.

3) Both Nurse and Bear have better partners (each other) than Klefbom has had since 16-17.

I would argue that Bear is that good because of Nurse, not saying Bear has not earned it at all, he has but Nurse creates space for him, that is not in Klefbom's skill set.
A lot of our PK TOI leaders lead because they cannot get the puck out, that is not on Klefbom, he does his job on the pk but that is often times what happens when you cannot get the puck.

Again for the time being we need both players. If we make the playoffs Nurse becomes the more valuable IMO because the bulk of the games are very physical and 5 on 5.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Uh no. That is literally nothing.

You can bet it’s not “literally nothing” to his teammates on the Condors, the Oilers, and other players all over professional hockey leagues.

Or to fans, teams and media. Very far from “nothing”.

Reactions: iCanada

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
No, the team cannot get out of a $2m commitment because Brandon Manning called someone a bad name. Nor would the league give the team cap leniency. It's common sense.

I don't think you looked up the story of what was said and how most of us would be out of a job in 5 minutes after uttering it in a work place environment to a fellow co worker.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
No, the team cannot get out of a $2m commitment because Brandon Manning called someone a bad name. Nor would the league give the team cap leniency. It's common sense.

Conduct unbecoming is definitely grounds for argument of contract termination.

Reactions: MinimaMoralia

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Only in a hockey forum could we have so many people state that using the N word towards another human being is no big deal.

I thought he never used the N word. Doesn't make it any less wrong but it was allegedly something else. Probably the M word is my guess

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
#1D don't play the third most 5v5 minutes on their team.

Oscar Klefbom has played the second most EV minutes on the team and the second most EV TOI/Game on the Oilers, not the third. The only reason this is true is because he PPs so much and it takes him out of the rotation. Nurse plays about 45 seconds more a game and Klefbom misses probably 2-3 EV shifts a game due to the PP. In terms of even strength usage, Klefbom's pair is used more than Nurse's is for this reason. His closest comparable in this regard - albeit NOT productivity - is John Carlson. Carlson plays the most on his team overall and is the only other player in the entire NHL who plays as much and has shift lengths as long as Klefbom does 5v4. This is likewise why Orlov plays more at EV, because you can't have a dude play a 2 minute shift and then have him out two shifts later. That's the junk time where odd pairings and lines play together until the regular rotation is rested again.

Klefbom: 25:41 TOI/game, 19:08 EVTOI/game, 3:51 PPTOI/game.
Nurse: 22:39 TOI/game, 19:53 EVTOI/game, 0:50 PPTOI/game.

Carlson: 24:45 TOI/game, 18:57 EVTOI/game, 4:10 PPTOI/game
Orlov: 22:00 TOI/game, 19:34 EVTOI/game, 1:20 PPTOI/game

Uncanny right? The clear #1 defenseman of the capitals also plays 45 seconds or so less at 5v5 than the clear #2 due to huge PP TOI numbers and long PP shifts.

Reactions: LaGu

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't think you looked up the story of what was said and how most of us would be out of a job in 5 minutes after uttering it in a work place environment to a fellow co worker.
It doesn't take very long to look at what happened. None of us know exactly what was said either. Both of those are rather irrelevant when you consider how long the grievance process would take to iron out the mess that would occur in the instance the Oilers would attempt to nullify a $2m contract.

Like I said, it doesn't take much effort to say no, the Oilers won't get cap leniency from this incident. It's not even worth the effort.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
It doesn't take very long to look at what happened. None of us know exactly what was said either. Both of those are rather irrelevant when you consider how long the grievance process would take to iron out the mess that would occur in the instance the Oilers would attempt to nullify a $2m contract.

Like I said, it doesn't take much effort to say no, the Oilers won't get cap leniency from this incident. It's not even worth the effort.
Agreed.

He got his suspension and reached out and apologized. Move on. He will be out of our hair next season.

Reactions: belair

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Oscar Klefbom has played the second most EV minutes on the team and the second most EV TOI/Game on the Oilers, not the third. The only reason this is true is because he PPs so much and it takes him out of the rotation. Nurse plays about 45 seconds more a game and Klefbom misses probably 2-3 EV shifts a game due to the PP. In terms of even strength usage, Klefbom's pair is used more than Nurse's is for this reason. His closest comparable in this regard - albeit NOT productivity - is John Carlson. Carlson plays the most on his team overall and is the only other player in the entire NHL who plays as much and has shift lengths as long as Klefbom does 5v4. This is likewise why Orlov plays more at EV, because you can't have a dude play a 2 minute shift and then have him out two shifts later. That's the junk time where odd pairings and lines play together until the regular rotation is rested again.

Klefbom: 25:41 TOI/game, 19:08 EVTOI/game, 3:51 PPTOI/game.
Nurse: 22:39 TOI/game, 19:53 EVTOI/game, 0:50 PPTOI/game.

Carlson: 24:45 TOI/game, 18:57 EVTOI/game, 4:10 PPTOI/game
Orlov: 22:00 TOI/game, 19:34 EVTOI/game, 1:20 PPTOI/game

Uncanny right? The clear #1 defenseman of the capitals also plays 45 seconds or so less at 5v5 than the clear #2 due to huge PP TOI numbers and long PP shifts.

Nurse/Bear play the most 5v5 minutes and against top competition because they've been significantly better at it.

Nurse isn't 6th in the league in 5v5 toi/gp just because Klefbom misses a few shifts.

Reactions: KYams17

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Nurse/Bear play the most 5v5 minutes and against top competition because they've been significantly better at it.

Nurse isn't 6th in the league in 5v5 toi/gp just because Klefbom misses a few shifts.

Nurse is 6th in the league in 5v5 TOI/GP because the Oilers don't trust a third pair.

It is objectively true that they only play more 5v5 minutes because Klefbom misses shifts - because they only average 1 shift more than him at 5v5 and Klefbom demonstrably misses EV shifts due to the PP. If the situation were reversed and Nurse played all of the 5v4, Klefbom would likely average multiple minutes more than Nurse at 5v5 a game. It won't actually surprise me if Oscar winds up having more EV TOI than Nurse does by the season if they're both healthy because Klefbom's often double shifted during crunch time games where Nurse winds up averaging 5 fewer minutes.

There's no question the Nurse and Bear pairing is the Oilers best... it just happens to be because they contain the second and third best defenseman on the team and the gap between that and what's left to play with Oscar is significant.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad