Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
We'll see but people said that every 20 games last year versus Vegas

"They'll come back down to Earth"

"They'll crumble after Christmas"

"OK after January"

"They'll collapse and get exposed in the playoffs"

A summer for teams to review game film, plus losing their #1 for 20 games isn't going to help.

Also they walked into last season with a chip on their shoulder. It's tough to maintain that level when everyone around starts telling you your s**t doesn't stink... It happened with the Oil this past season, they started believing their hype, and their complacency showed.

If Vegas can't maintain their attention to detail and high pace, the skill level on that roster isn't going to compensate.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I think by common sense and many metrics what Vegas did last year was unsustainable.

I would agree acquiring Stastny and Pats is good for the team but the whole lightning doesn't strike twice thing for Vegas still applies imo.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Vegas I suspect will resign Pacioretty. I think they are viewed as a very desirable location. Let's see how that plays out if they fall back to earth.
Yet Neal and Perron left, so who knows.

One thing seems for sure Karlsson to Vegas has to be dead.

Also Vegas has now traded 2 1sts a 2nd a third. Is there prospect depth good enough to be doing this?

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Wow, Bergevin fleeced Mcphee.

I never thought I would agree with those words, but yeah.

I don't know much about their prospect pool, but it looks pretty bland:
Cody Glass, Zack Whitecloud, Erik Branstrom

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I never thought I would agree with those words, but yeah.

I don't know much about their prospect pool, but it looks pretty bland:
Cody Glass, Zack Whitecloud, Erik Branstrom
Pretty foolish to trade away all those futures only 2 years into your existence, not a great move at all imo for the Knights.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Pretty foolish to trade away all those futures only 2 years into your existence, not a great move at all imo for the Knights.
I think they were looking to get away from Tatar on the whole. He's probably still a good player, but they soured on him pretty hard after last season. I agree they gave up too much, but this is about as good as Montreal could have done and they still traded the best player.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't know if Bergevin fleeced McPhee or Holland fleeced McPhee.

Patches should've gotten a 1st plus on his own. Unless people are giving value to Tatar. Vegas essentially gave market value and then threw in a cap dump.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I don't think Bergevin fleeced McPhee. The deal from Montreal's perspective obviously hinged around Suzuki, but if he doesn't turn out, then Montreal got saddled with a really bad contract for the next 3 years. Tatar isn't the greatest player and he comes in at a million bucks more and 2 years longer than Paciorrety. No doubt Montreal doesn't get Suzuki without taking Tatar, though.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I think they were looking to get away from Tatar on the whole. He's probably still a good player, but they soured on him pretty hard after last season. I agree they gave up too much, but this is about as good as Montreal could have done and they still traded the best player.
It's obvious Gallant was reluctant to play Tatar in the playoffs. The coach has earned himself a lot of respect so McPhee likely wanted to move on from a poor trade rather than force Tatar onto the guy that made him look like a genius.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's obvious Gallant was reluctant to play Tatar in the playoffs. The coach has earned himself a lot of respect so McPhee likely wanted to move on from a poor trade rather than force Tatar onto the guy that made him look like a genius.
I do give him credit for that, McPhee, don't worry about the "sunk cost" and get what you can to improve the team.

Montreal still did well to get This deal at this point, but again they gave up the best player.

Edit: I also wonder if we see Tatar moved at a discount at some point this year.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Vegas is really not afraid to move their picks. I would think if they had missed the playoffs instead of going to the Cup finals things may have been different.

It's basically

2017 1st (Nick Suzuki)
2018 1st
2019 2nd
2019 2nd
2021 3rd

for

Max Pacioretty
and

28gp for Tatar where he put up 8 pts.

Seems like a steep price tag to me ! Hopefully they didn't run out of voodoo magic !

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It pretty much comes down to how you see Tatar. Clearly Vegas thought of him as a cap dump.
I suspect it was the only way Montreal was going to get the good assets that they wanted. Vegas also retaining 500k, so who knows MTL could trade him at a later date with retention and salvage more

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I do give him credit for that, McPhee, don't worry about the "sunk cost" and get what you can to improve the team.

Montreal still did well to get This deal at this point, but again they gave up the best player.

Edit: I also wonder if we see Tatar moved at a discount at some point this year.

Agreed. When you look at the Tatar trade(s) in their entirety, it looks bad. But GMGM obviously felt that Tatar was not going to fit with the team going forward, and turned him into top line winger.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Agreed. When you look at the Tatar trade(s) in their entirety, it looks bad. But GMGM obviously felt that Tatar was not going to fit with the team going forward, and turned him into top line winger.

I actually like that line of thought. Acknowledging a trade didn’t work out the way you thought it would and reloading on the fly.

The Tatar deal in itself was bad, but if Pacioretty can even come close to his 30+ goal form it’s a good deal for Vegas. I don’t think Suzuki will be a top line player in this league but he should be top six.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Wonder if there’s more trades coming through today?
With the amount of RFAs unsigned, and guys who appear to be "moving" on from their current team's, I suspect the next couple of days might be busy.

I honestly I sort of still expect Faulk ending up with the Oilers, though I don't know how that deal will break down exactly.

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I actually like that line of thought. Acknowledging a trade didn’t work out the way you thought it would and reloading on the fly.

The Tatar deal in itself was bad, but if Pacioretty can even come close to his 30+ goal form it’s a good deal for Vegas. I don’t think Suzuki will be a top line player in this league but he should be top six.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds, but I do think Suzuki has shown extreme promise. I think he is very capable of becoming a legitimate, no-doubter first line player--a calder candidate even.

That said, you got to wonder what Montreal is doing, what their plan is. It's almost as if they've equated "speed and skill" directly with "small and young."

Part of me thinks that Bergevin heard the criticisms that his team didn't really have an identity, so he doubled down on what it had the most of.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Problem with Suzuki is MTL needs centers now. Hope they don't throw him into a role he isn't ready for.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Its probably a good trade for vegas for this year and maybe next year but honestly i think Mcphee has crippled his team (long term) to some extent with the tatar trade and now this trade.

Pacorietty is a good player ... no doubt ... but the guy is like 29 years old

So not only did they give up a good prospect in suzuki but now their going to give a huge extension to pacorietty who will probably start declining soon and it will be an albatross contract by the end of it.

There was no need to trade for Tatar last season. The amount of assets they gave up to get him was ridiculous. And now they have given up on him. Really poor asset management.

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Of course not, but they've been known not to know where to play prospects. Oddly enough sounds like Vegas has Suzuki as wing

They have no idea what they are doing. Trade Subban, Sergachev, Galchenyuk and now Pacioretty and didn't get a single NHL centre in the process. Not even Chia has had a run that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad