Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Pre season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hemsky can not stay healthy and is 35

meaning even if he stays healthy but bombs-we could not hide his contact on the farm
This rule is only valid on multi year deals according to the CBA. It was made to prevent teams from front-loading deals to veteran players.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
35+ contracts

no hiding them
NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
If a player signs a multi-year contract and is age 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the year of the effective contract), the players individual cap hit counts against the teams cap hit regardless of whether, or where, the player is active. However, there is one circumstance in which there is a cap hit reduction, a team will receive a $100,000 relief off of the teams salary cap hit, if a player is playing in the minor leagues after the first year of their contract.

The 35+ rule was introduced in the 2005 CBA and was intended to prevent teams from burying veteran players in the AHL, or from front-loading contracts to draw players to signing with them. One result of the rule is that it has lead to teams signing short one or two year contracts with veteran players, to prevent the possibility of being stuck with the players full cap hit if they are injured or unable to produce.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I see it this way for our forwards.

Nhl caliber: McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Lucic, Strome, Kharia, Brodziach, Kassian, Puljujarvi, Reider, and just barely Caguillia. To me, unless Caguillia takes a big step forward, is the perfect 13th forward. Plays all positions. Can, but should not, play in the top 6. That leaves 2 spots for 2 offensive types in the top 6 most likely.

Those players are guys that imo have proven to be at least decent in thier roles at the nhl level.

Potential nhl caliber this year: Rattie, Yama, Upshaw, Marody, Aberg, Benson, Maxismov, and even a guy like McLeod could surprise.

Plus a slew of ahl guys that could have taken a unlikely but still possible jump in the offseason.

That's a ridiculous amount of players for two spots at the most. People exaggerate our "lack of forward depth". We still have an above average group of forwards at the worst.

Defense without Sekera is thin. Goaltending a question. But forwards are solid and built down the middle as weLloyd. Great group.

I don't see it that way at all. They might be above average if a couple of players carry the load but depth is still a major weakness, there's still only 1 line that can be counted on to score at an above average level and even that line has a huge question mark on one wing.

What I see at forward is McDavid, RNH who has never played wing for an entire season, Draisaitl who hasn't proven he can consistently drive his own line yet, Brodziak who is an established 4th line center and a bunch of question marks everywhere else. The group has potential but until that potential is realized, it's a weakness and pales in comparison to any decent to good team.
This is where good coaching will be vital to get the most out of these guys because there is a severe lack of proven reliability in that group.

On another note, I find it odd that so many key RFAs are still unsigned going into Training Camp. There's always a few but I count as many as 7 in Nylander, Reinhart, Wood, Ritchie, Nurse, Morrissey and Theodore. That seems like a lot more than usual this close to the season. I'm assuming that Nurse, Morrissey and Theodore are all waiting on the first of that group to sign. The forwards, I have no idea.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't see it that way at all. They might be above average if a couple of players carry the load but depth is still a major weakness, there's still only 1 line that can be counted on to score at an above average level and even that line has a huge question mark on one wing.

What I see at forward is McDavid, RNH who has never played wing for an entire season, Draisaitl who hasn't proven he can consistently drive his own line yet, Brodziak who is an established 4th line center and a bunch of question marks everywhere else. The group has potential but until that potential is realized, it's a weakness and pales in comparison to any decent to good team.
This is where good coaching will be vital to get the most out of these guys because there is a severe lack of proven reliability in that group.

On another note, I find it odd that so many key RFAs are still unsigned going into Training Camp. There's always a few but I count as many as 7 in Nylander, Reinhart, Wood, Ritchie, Nurse, Morrissey and Theodore. That seems like a lot more than usual this close to the season. I'm assuming that Nurse, Morrissey and Theodore are all waiting on the first of that group to sign. The forwards, I have no idea.

RNH McDavid XXX is an above average nhl line in comparison to the league.

Reider Leon JP on paper is a below average second line. But could be at least average depending on chemistry and development.

Lucic Strome XXX is an above average nhl third line.

Kharia Brodziach Kassian is a Fricken awesome fourth line.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
A line with McDavid will not only score above average level, 5vs5 it should score at the very best level in the whole league.

I don't think there should be any guestion marks about that.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
McDavid

RNH
Drai

JP
Lucic
Aberg
Strome

Kassian
Upshall
Khaira
Rieder
Brodziak

...are the only capable (or semi-capable) 2-way NHL forwards currently on the team (and some will argue that some of those don't belong on that list either). Problem being is that there are too many that are lower tier players there and not enough elite or even above average talents there. Too many are simply low replacement level that don't move the needle in the right direction.

They have very few great/good forwards and an abundance of below average/mediocre forwards which results in an overall roster of mediocrity up front.

Put it this way... remove McDavid and the team essentially has zero chance at a wildcard spot... which means by definition that the other forwards are mediocre/below average collectively,

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
McDavid

RNH
Drai

JP
Lucic
Aberg
Strome

Kassian
Upshall
Khaira
Rieder
Brodziak

...are the only capable (or semi-capable) 2-way NHL forwards currently on the team (and some will argue that some of those don't belong on that list either). Problem being is that there are too many that are lower tier players there and not enough elite or even above average talents there. Too many are simply low replacement level that don't move the needle in the right direction.

They have very few great/good forwards and an abundance of below average/mediocre forwards which results in an overall roster of mediocrity up front.

Put it this way... remove McDavid and the team essentially has zero chance at a wildcard spot... which means by definition that the other forwards are mediocre/below average collectively,

I see a great deal of complaining about the roster.

What do you propose and are there any rumors you have heard that might fix these problems you see?

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB

What do you propose and are there any rumors you have heard that might fix these problems you see?

I propose they give PTO's to Winnik and Hartnell as I think they would both be better than the 12th best forwards on the Oilers currently.

edit... Rumour retracted. I don't want to spread anything if nothing becomes of it.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

Are you new to these threads? It's pretty annoying how small a percentage of posts are relevant to the title, but it's been like this since the start of HF. The Proposals and Rumors thread has always been one of general team discussion.

I complained about it like 10 years ago but gave up quite quickly

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

Regarding the RFA's, I have a feeling there could be some trades being worked out. Which is the big hold up.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Regarding the RFA's, I have a feeling there could be some trades being worked out. Which is the big hold up.
It could be possible we may be looking at Jordan Schmaltz out of St Louis. They're $250k under the ceiling and Schmaltz is now waiver eligible and likely not getting any quality minutes there this year. I can't see a reason why they would've put that off til now.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Late blockbuster...

Pacioretty to VEGAS for Suzuki, Tatar, pick

McPhee is going to look like an idiot if the team tanks like an actual expansion team should.

I guess Bergevin can make good trades after all...

I'd probably see if Montreal wants Lucic for Tatar.

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
That's two 1sts, two 2nds and a 3rd for Pacioretty, basically.

:oops:

Pacioretty is probably worth it in a vacuum if he can have a bounce back year and signs for a decent extension.

But yeah... that is quite a lot of futures to move out so early in the franchises history.

Short term though, thats another division rival that just got quite a bit better. For this season they swapped out a 2nd/3rd line tweener for a 1st liner.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Pacioretty is probably worth it in a vacuum if he can have a bounce back year and signs for a decent extension.

But yeah... that is quite a lot of futures to move out so early in the franchises history.

Short term though, thats another division rival that just got quite a bit better. For this season they swapped out a 2nd/3rd line tweener for a 1st liner.
They also lost a player who had 60 plus points in Perron and 45ish points from Neals departure. If there ever was a team to have a come back down to earth season its the Knights.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
No it's not. Tatar has turned into a cap dump with negative value. Tatar was not an add in this trade, he was the pivot in getting a prospect like NS
Vegas traded a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd to Detroit for Tatar. They've now traded another 2nd and Suzuki (1st rounder) to get rid of him, for a player who is a UFA in ten months.

Last edited:

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
No it's not. Tatar has turned into a cap dump with negative value. Tatar was not an add in this trade, he was the pivot in getting a prospect like NS
He could outscore Pacioretty himself with the ice-time he's likely to get in MTL. I get the Knights see him as a massive cap dump. But they've burned through futures like nobody's business since entering the league. Get ready to see them become cap dump central in the coming seasons when they fall back to Earth.

Their defense is still ass.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Vegas I suspect will resign Pacioretty. I think they are viewed as a very desirable location. Let's see how that plays out if they fall back to earth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wow Bergevin actually got value on a trade. That's a shocker.

Vegas has Patches + Statsny in and Neal + Perron out ... think they got better even though they paid a hefty price.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Wow Bergevin actually got value on a trade. That's a shocker.

Vegas has Patches + Statsny in and Neal + Perron out ... think they got better even though they paid a hefty price.
That's if Karlsson remains at an elite level and Fluery maintains his play of last year. I doubt it.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
That's if Karlsson remains at an elite level and Fluery maintains his play of last year. I doubt it.

We'll see but people said that every 20 games last year versus Vegas

"They'll come back down to Earth"

"They'll crumble after Christmas"

"OK after January"

"They'll collapse and get exposed in the playoffs"

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
If we're wanting another PTO, I'd toss one at Stempniak. He brings a little speed, can PK, and has always had a good shot and decent hands.

He'd be a good "replacement level player" and clear bar for Rattie, Aberg, Puljujarvi, and Yamamoto to clear to get a spot on the team.

J. Ward is another name you could toss out there for a PTO, but as a defensive winger.

RNH-McDavid-Stempniak
Rieder-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Lucic-Strome-Kassian
Upshall-Brodziak-Ward

Fighting for a spot: Rattie, Caggiula, Aberg, Yamamoto.

It's not a solution, but as said, it does force the kids to at least beat a replacement level talent to get a spot on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad