Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Pre season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

It's been mentioned before, but I'd love to see him get at least a couple preseason games in before he hangs them up if this might be it for him. He's still got speed and skill and could give Rattie, Yamamoto and JP some good competition for the starting slots at RW. It'd be a nice gesture from the Oilers brass to let him throw the jersey on once more.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

It's been mentioned before, but I'd love to see him get at least a couple preseason games in before he hangs them up if this might be it for him. He's still got speed and skill and could give Rattie, Yamamoto and JP some good competition for the starting slots at RW. It'd be a nice gesture from the Oilers brass to let him throw the jersey on once more.

just no and another example of how some can not move on

he can not stay healthy and was one of the most frustrating oilers of all time

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014

Where is this skate? Not clear from the tweets.

I wouldn't hate a PTO but I think Hemmer needs to hang em up personally.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
just no and another example of how some can not move on

he can not stay healthy and was one of the most frustrating oilers of all time

He was also one of the best Oilers since the dead puck era. It's not about moving on--the Ottawa trade happened over half a decade ago. It's about finding possible value. You can't tell me a PTO to him is any less effective than a PTO to Jason Garrison. The only difference is that fans would actually appreciate seeing Hemsky in Oiler silks.

Where is this skate? Not clear from the tweets.

I wouldn't hate a PTO but I think Hemmer needs to hang em up personally.

Back in Dallas.

I don't necessarily disagree either. He had a pretty serious concussion last year. But if he's still drawn to the game, why not come back to a community where he spent 11 seasons? Our RW depth may just leave a small window of opportunity for him.

Reactions: Aerrol

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
He was also one of the best Oilers since the dead puck era. It's not about moving on--the Ottawa trade happened over half a decade ago. It's about finding possible value. You can't tell me a PTO to him is any less effective than a PTO to Jason Garrison. The only difference is that fans would actually appreciate seeing Hemsky in Oiler silks.

Back in Dallas.

I don't necessarily disagree either. He had a pretty serious concussion last year. But if he's still drawn to the game, why not come back to a community where he spent 11 seasons? Our RW depth may just leave a small window of opportunity for him.

Agree for the most part, except that I wonder how fans would react to today's Hemsky. He was already a divisive player when he left town. Not sure the good memories would out weigh him being a shell of his former self now.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
A big no thanks to any more over the hill ex Oilers. After how I found myself souring on Smyth of all people after he came back, I don't think I can handle another aging ex oiler ruining what positive memories I have of them.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
A big no thanks to any more over the hill ex Oilers. After how I found myself souring on Smyth of all people after he came back, I don't think I can handle another aging ex oiler ruining what positive memories I have of them.

All players slow down. Smyth recognized when it was time to hang them up. I'm so happy that he came back.

As for Hemmer or any other ex Oiler, I have no problem giving out PTO's. Highly unlikely that they make the team though. Our depth of guys fighting for bottom 6 and bottom pair jobs is actually impressive.

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I hope people realize that there is a Leafs, Devils, Pens, Flames, etc. board here where they can talk all about those teams. Sick and tired of reading about every team but the Oilers in these threads.

I agree . should be ban from a thread if you post something that not with in the subject lines of the thread .

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
All players slow down. Smyth recognized when it was time to hang them up. I'm so happy that he came back.

As for Hemmer or any other ex Oiler, I have no problem giving out PTO's. Highly unlikely that they make the team though. Our depth of guys fighting for bottom 6 and bottom pair jobs is actually impressive.
This is exactly it. The thing about Smyth is that we actually got one good year out of him after LA. It was the second year that was the bad one.

I think people are realistic enough to know not to expect Hemsky circa 2006, but his last healthy season in Dallas he was still capable of posting 40 points playing deep in a Dallas lineup. He hasn't lost any of that speed.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd much rather the Oilers offer a PTO to someone like Hartnell/Winnik who would actually be great bottom 6 additions.
We have plenty of options in the bottom six.

LW Caggiula, Khaira, Upshall, Malone, Benson.
RW Kassian, Rieder, Aberg, Puljujarvi, Marody.

I'd like to see someone who can give the young guys a run for their money next to the skill centers.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Caggiula shouldn't even be on the team based on his 2-way performance so far... net negative.

Malone is an AHL caliber player.

Upshall isn't as good as either Winnik or Hartnell.

Khaira is still developing and we need to obviously see more consistency in his game

Benson has zero NHL experience and still needs to get some experience at the AHL pro level after several years of injury setbacks.

Kassian went AWOL at times last year and is certainly needing to step up a couple notches to be a solid positive asset again.

Rieder has issues at showing he can be a strong 2-way player and it remains to be seen just how decent he will be in the Oilers bottom 6 because that's the level of player he actually is... at best.

Aberg looks like he has solid speed and has good upside... now he has to see if he can reach it. Appears to already be in the coaches doghouse late last season but I have some optimism that he can be a solid player this season.

JP... great upside but many have expressed a lot of doubts about his ability to reach his potential... work in progress obviously.

Marody... again great prospect but zero NHL experience and needs to get some pro experience at the AHL level before the Oilers can see what they have with him.

I'd have them all ranked like this:

Aberg
JP
Upshall
Kassian
Khaira
Rieder

The rest aren't NHL top 12 forward talent level currently.

Winnik and Hartnell would easily be 2 of the better top 12 forwards on the Oilers and would improve the team at both ends of the ice.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
If Hemsky was still healthy he'd likely wedge in there between Kassian/Khaira level of quality in terms of his overall net effect on the team... but his body is likely too far gone at this point to even consider him as a PTO option.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Caggiula shouldn't even be on the team based on his 2-way performance so far... net negative.

Khaira is still developing and we need to obviously see more consistency in his game

Benson has zero NHL experience and still needs to get some experience at the AHL pro level after several years of injury setbacks.

Kassian went AWOL at times last year and is certainly needing to step up a couple notches to be a solid positive asset again.

Rieder has issues at showing he can be a strong 2-way player and it remains to be seen just how decent he will be in the Oilers bottom 6 because that's the level of player he actually is... at best.

Aberg looks like he has solid speed and has good upside... now he has to see if he can reach it. Appears to already be in the coaches doghouse late last season but I have some optimism that he can be a solid player this season.

JP... great upside but many have expressed a lot of doubts about his ability to reach his potential... work in progress obviously.

Marody... again great prospect but zero NHL experience and needs to get some pro experience at the AHL level before the Oilers can see what they have with him.

Aberg
JP
Upshall
Kassian
Khaira
Rieder

Winnik and Hartnell would easily be 2 of the better top 12 forwards on the Oilers and would improve the team at both ends of the ice.

Man...you put together some good posts and then you come up with absolute nonsense like this.
I am not sure where to start with this except to say that there is no justifiable reason for having Aberg at the top of a list that has Rieder at the bottom.
They are the same age and one player is a legit NHL player...the other one isnt.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Man...you put together some good posts and then you come up with absolute nonsense like this.
I am not sure where to start with this except to say that there is no justifiable reason for having Aberg at the top of a list that has Rieder at the bottom.
They are the same age and one player is a legit NHL player...the other one isnt.

I simply don't think Rieder's two way game is solid enough to warrant him being any better than a low end NHL player. 2 previous teams likely agree with that summation already... so we'll see how he does on the Oilers.

One fact about Rieder is that he's faced tough competition and had poor teammates in his NHL career so far... so that's a contextual point to keep in mind as well. He's also had fairly hard zone starts but he's been a net negative overall relative to his teammates.

He's better than Caggiula who isn't even a top 12 forward so I'll give him that.

Aberg has more potential to be a solid top 6 player... let's see if he can become that.

JP I have ranked as a solid top 6 player as well... so I'm not knocking him, he just needs to reach his full upside and it's too early to tell whether he'll be able to achieve that but I wouldn't bet against him.

Kassian/Khaira are two decent depth players and are NHL caliber bottom 6 players.. one had a better than expected year and the other worse than expected but they are still decent assets.

edit... corrected my zone starts comment on Rieder.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I simply don't think Rieder's two way game is solid enough to warrant him being any better than a low end NHL player. 2 previous teams likely agree with that summation already... so we'll see how he does on the Oilers.

One fact about Rieder is that he's faced tough competition and had poor teammates in his NHL career so far... so that's a contextual point to keep in mind as well. He hasn't had particularly hard zone starts though and he's been a net negative overall relative to his teammates.

He's better than Caggiula who isn't even a top 12 forward so I'll give him that.

Aberg has more potential to be a solid top 6 player... let's see if he can become that.

JP I have ranked as a solid top 6 player as well... so I'm not knocking him, he just needs to reach his full upside and it's too early to tell whether he'll be able to achieve that but I wouldn't bet against him.

Kassian/Khaira are two decent depth players and are NHL caliber bottom 6 players.. one had a better than expected year and the other worse than expected but they are still decent assets.

I appreciate that you put so much effort into your response....lets just say that it doesnt wash.
Aberg has played 68 very uninspiring NHL games. He is a bubble NHL player at best.
To have him at the top and Reider at the bottom of a list that details NHL viability is unsupportable.

It looks a bit like your hopes and wishes are driving these posts.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I appreciate that you put so much effort into your response....lets just say that it doesnt wash.
Aberg has played 68 very uninspiring NHL games. He is a bubble NHL player at best.
To have him at the top and Reider at the bottom of a list that details NHL viability is unsupportable.

I place a very high value on players that outperform their teammates on a RelT GF% basis... which is what Aberg has done and Rieder hasn't done so far in their NHL careers. Of course there are contextual points as well... zone starts, QoC, teammates etc.

Both players have bounced around somewhat in their careers so far so we'll see how things play out this season on the Oilers.

I think Rieder is looked at as the superior player by most... and he'll likely even get a look in the top 6 with the obvious Draisaitl connection... but I personally feel Aberg has the better upside and will perform as a better net overall asset.. but I admit that those type of players don't always get a good look from the coaches... ie Auvitu... so I fully expect that a better player with higher upside could be let go and a lesser player with lesser overall ability will be retained.

Reactions: Aerchon

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
It looks a bit like your hopes and wishes are driving these posts.

I certainly hope this team does find 12 solid NHL forwards from the group they have available (tough task imo).

I also wish coaches would actually ice the players that would help the team have the highest chances of winning games rather than going by who they think "should" be good, all the while repeatedly watching them underperform over and over.. which we saw too often last year.

New coaches though... so hope springs eternal that changes for the better may come this season.

Reactions: Aerchon

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018

Aberg
JP
Upshall
Kassian
Khaira
Rieder

Really?

No way should Aberg be ahead of JP. I would have Khaira ahead of Kassian and Upshall.
And Hartnell is trash. His skating is reminiscent of a hippo.

Reactions: MikeFLB

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
I would package Aberg/Caggiula + a draft pick/or a minor prospect to get a cheap but better winger, like Fischer or Dzingel.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I certainly hope this team does find 12 solid NHL forwards from the group they have available (tough task imo).

I also wish coaches would actually ice the players that would help the team have the highest chances of winning games rather than going by who they think "should" be good, all the while repeatedly watching them underperform over and over.. which we saw too often last year.

New coaches though... so hope springs eternal that changes for the better may come this season.

I see it this way for our forwards.

Nhl caliber: McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH, Lucic, Strome, Kharia, Brodziach, Kassian, Puljujarvi, Reider, and just barely Caguillia. To me, unless Caguillia takes a big step forward, is the perfect 13th forward. Plays all positions. Can, but should not, play in the top 6. That leaves 2 spots for 2 offensive types in the top 6 most likely.

Those players are guys that imo have proven to be at least decent in thier roles at the nhl level.

Potential nhl caliber this year: Rattie, Yama, Upshaw, Marody, Aberg, Benson, Maxismov, and even a guy like McLeod could surprise.

Plus a slew of ahl guys that could have taken a unlikely but still possible jump in the offseason.

That's a ridiculous amount of players for two spots at the most. People exaggerate our "lack of forward depth". We still have an above average group of forwards at the worst.

Defense without Sekera is thin. Goaltending a question. But forwards are solid and built down the middle as weLloyd. Great group.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino