Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Pre season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the Oilers have to be cap compliant without using the LTIR to start the season?
Than after that the can use the LTIR for more cap space?

If this is the case than they won't be making any big splashes until at least week one of the season...

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Just heard Scott howson on stauffers show. I was sure he had left the organization in 2016. Did I just block out him coming back?

Oilers always looking after their guys... job for life, no matter how incompetent.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
great news today from an nhl insider Dan Rosen. Because of the potential lockout in 20-21, it looks like Seattle wont start until 21-22. This means that Sekera and Russel's NMC clauses contracts will expire prior to draft. The year before is a new CBA so there may even be a compliance buyout which would take care of Lucic.

Interesting thing is that RNH and Larson are ufa that summer. The oilers could expose them to the expansion draft where they would not be picked. Doubtful an expansion team picks a guy who is ufa in 10 days. The oilers could then sign them before July 1.

Reactions: Supermassive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Correct me if I am wrong, but don't the Oilers have to be cap compliant without using the LTIR to start the season?
Than after that the can use the LTIR for more cap space?

If this is the case than they won't be making any big splashes until at least week one of the season...
You can put players on the LTIR before the cap comes into effect.

However, funny enough players get put back off of the LTIR before performance bonuses are added. Basically if you play around with LTIR at all while being around the cap, you're almost guaranteed to exceed the cap if you have players hit bonuses. For us, that would be someone like Puljujarvi. Maybe Yama or Bouchard or Bear. But, it's not a whole lot.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Just heard Scott howson on stauffers show. I was sure he had left the organization in 2016. Did I just block out him coming back?

Oilers always looking after their guys... job for life, no matter how incompetent.

Loyalty is important but it not the most important thing when running a team . Sometime you have to just let people go

Reactions: Jamin

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Who the **** cares about the freaking Leafs or their future cap woes? This is the HFOil thread for rumors and proposals ...go to the HFLeafs board if that's all you want to discuss.

I actually agree and I apologize for my part in this. But what is relevant about the discussion is how you structure the team going forward. I would contend that the Oilers are actually in pretty decent shape given that there prospect pool actually matches their long term needs quite well. That is why I think it would be a mistake to make a costly investments right now that are mostly for short term gains.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Shhhh.

Being a GM means bending reality. As you well know all GMs can afford multiple superstar forwards and elite star goalies and defense.

I'm really think the Oilers should pick up Price and Doughty for a couple second rounders. I'm sure it can get done somehow.

All kidding aside. I really do worry about having "too much" success this year. If JP, Talbot, Nurse, and say Larsson all have great years this and moving forward it's going to be extremely tough to sign a decent team moving forward and pay everyone.

It's a "good" problem to have versus them all sucking but in today's NHL it's extremely tough to keep your talent and be successful.

Surprised Chicago and Pitts did as well as they have.

As I just said I think the Oilers can manage this quite well if they are smart and if they develop players internally. Neither of those assumptions is a given though.

Despite the big contracts to McDavid and Leon, the Oilers actually have a pretty decent balance in terms of how their salaries are distributed. Moreover, they have some decent wingers and defensemen who can fill holes if all goes well.

You are right though that next year could be tight again if JP and Talbot have big years. But beyond that things should open up fairly quickly.

rambo97

Jan 2, 2018
The Penguins have given the model for the Oilers to copy. The Penguins built a championship team by making smart (and cheap college pickups) and drafting well in the mid/late rounds and with some cheap veteran pickups to help their expensive superstar talent.

The Oilers will have to follow suit. Meaning the most important thing will be scouting and development for the Oilers (which it always has been the case for this organization but something we haven't done well for a very long time). My hope is things are changing but it remains to be seen

Reactions: Aerrol

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
The Penguins have given the model for the Oilers to copy. The Penguins built a championship team by making smart (and cheap college pickups) and drafting well in the mid/late rounds and with some cheap veteran pickups to help their expensive superstar talent.

The Oilers will have to follow suit. Meaning the most important thing will be scouting and development for the Oilers (which it always has been the case for this organization but something we haven't done well for a very long time). My hope is things are changing but it remains to be seen

A massive difference is that the Penguins had drafted their number 1 defense man and kept him with the team the whole time. (Letang)
I know Letang has dropped off recently but in the penguins glory days he was a stud.
Oilers still do not have a true number one guy...

Reactions: Aerrol

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Outside the first round? Their first round drafting isn't exactly stellar either.
we have found NHLers in the 1st rounds not including the #1s
Dubnyk
Cogliano
Gagner
Riley Nash
Eberle
Klefbom
Nurse
Draisaitl

pretty darn good all things considered...the last time we whiffed in the 1st round was 2009

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Can we go one thread without bitching about the f***ing Hall trade? It's always the same posters too. And LOL at the Oilers trading away a Hart winner and calling Larsson peanuts. Not going to say it's a good trade but let's not exaggerate to make it look worse than it actually was.

Last edited:

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Loyalty is important but it not the most important thing when running a team . Sometime you have to just let people go

Not a single like for Commando? Wheres the love, such a gem of a movie.

HFOil if you dont have 90 seconds for the full video do yourself a favor and click 1:15 into the video. One of Arnold's best ever quotes

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Ben Sievens retired.

The Professor is going to do what his name sake is while also still working within hockey. Sounds like the next best thing.

edit: actually, he's going to be the manager, not a coach or "professor" of a university team. Still, good for him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Who the **** cares about the freaking Leafs or their future cap woes? This is the HFOil thread for rumors and proposals ...go to the HFLeafs board if that's all you want to discuss.

I hope people realize that there is a Leafs, Devils, Pens, Flames, etc. board here where they can talk all about those teams. Sick and tired of reading about every team but the Oilers in these threads.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Outside the first round? Their first round drafting isn't exactly stellar either.

Our 1st round picks have been good. We always pick the player in range of our pick. You can't blame the scouts that Yakupov was the biggest 1st OA bust in league history or that RNH hasn't hit 60 points yet. Players like Eberle and Klefbom have delivered beyond expectations from where they were drafted and I think Yamamoto will too. What's killing us is our 2nd round picks. We missed out on so many good players because our scouts had such a hard on for Oil Kings.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I actually agree and I apologize for my part in this. But what is relevant about the discussion is how you structure the team going forward. I would contend that the Oilers are actually in pretty decent shape given that there prospect pool actually matches their long term needs quite well. That is why I think it would be a mistake to make a costly investments right now that are mostly for short term gains.
Sigh, as always you bring rationale and logic to the discussion Fourier. I could never be upset with the points you make - point taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->