Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Kassian's Days Numbered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I love the loose cannon toughness but it’s not worth the awful penalties and forced PK time he brings. He should be making 750k for what he brings. I’ve never seen the offensive potential Canucks fans were screaming he had back when they tried him with the Sedins, he thinks the game slow and his possession leads to nothing. Not even a great fighter but will show up.

We have plenty of depth guys and need cap space. Would anyone even want him though? He can’t play a physical game without taking penalties and without playing like that he’s not worth having.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I'm gonna take a stab at this one and call Zack Kassian for Sam Gagner. Maybe not one-for-one, but the term on the deals match up and the salaries are similar. Gagner was a popular guy in the room when he was here and is a right shot skilled forward who could help out in the middle six, which is what the team requires.

The history between the two just makes this deal so obvious.

Kassian for Sbisa more likely IMO.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
The return would be nothing if Chia has asked Kassian to find a taker.
"Go finda team that will get me A 4th round pick for you'

I believe Chia said something similar to Yakupovs agent too... That got us a bust prospect plus conditional pick that we never got.

They got Pochiro and a 3rd.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I'm gonna take a stab at this one and call Zack Kassian for Sam Gagner. Maybe not one-for-one, but the term on the deals match up and the salaries are similar. Gagner was a popular guy in the room when he was here and is a right shot skilled forward who could help out in the middle six, which is what the team requires.

Chiarelli has made it pretty clear that he's trying to make the team quicker. Gagner is the opposite type of player of this.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Chiarelli has made it pretty clear that he's trying to make the team quicker. Gagner is the opposite type of player of this.
Quickness doesn't end with foot speed. Ability to transition the play through solid or 'quick' puck movement will ultimately make a player a more effective or 'quicker' forward.

Even in his early years, Gagner had his positives in this lineup. Now that the Oilers have one of the deeper teams in the league down the middle, the expectations for this player would be quite minimal. He'd be able to help in the areas where we require support--depth scoring beyond the McDavid line and our PP.

Scanning the league, there are few players with the two year term who would qualify as a realistic return for Kassian. I also don't see a team letting us off the hook for his salary without a decent asset going back.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Quickness doesn't end with foot speed. Ability to transition the play through solid or 'quick' puck movement will ultimately make a player a more effective or 'quicker' forward.

Even in his early years, Gagner had his positives in this lineup. Now that the Oilers have one of the deeper teams in the league down the middle, the expectations for this player would be quite minimal. He'd be able to help in the areas where we require support--depth scoring beyond the McDavid line and our PP.

Scanning the league, there are few players with the two year term who would qualify as a realistic return for Kassian. I also don't see a team letting us off the hook for his salary without a decent asset going back.

Gagner is significantly more expensive than Kassian and doesn't fill a need.

If they passed on bringing Aberg back I don't see why they'd take Gagner.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

He's a million dollars more expensive than Kassian--that goes away if we decide to keep him in the AHL. The Canucks could also be convinced to retain if we sweeten the return a tad if the idea was to use Gagner on the NHL roster at some point.

As for Gagner vs Aberg--one of them is a proven NHL forward who consistently puts up 40 point seasons while the other is a young kid who misses practice in his first week with the team.

One of our main current organizational needs are on the wings on the second and third lines, which suits Gagner's ability just fine. Odds are there'll be players switching in and out of the lineup all season in those roles considering Puljujarvi isn't going anywhere. Acquiring Gagner would essentially allow us to send Yamamoto down to Bakersfield instead of risking him hitting that 40 game mark this season for the minimal production he's currently providing.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Draisaitl - Gagner
Lucic - Strome - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Brodziak - Chiasson
Khaira, Marody

All of these wingers are interchangeable.

LemmyUlanov55

4th line grinder
Apr 3, 2016
Disappointing how things went for the Kassassian. Was a force in 16/17 and did expect him to level up his game this year, too bad it seems to not work out at all.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Who cares if he missed practice? They're both offense only players who don't have a role on this team.

Aberg can skate and Gagner has a better history but Gagner makes no sense now. Aberg at least costs next to nothing.

McLellan has no time for Puljujarvi on this team because he's lost without the puck. Gagner is bad defensively so he adds nothing and you add salary for no reason.

Yamamoto is a better fit for this team than Gagner and Gagner isn't a bottom 6 player.

Yamamoto isn't putting up huge numbers but he's a tenacious forechecker, wins pucks and is solid enough defensively to kill penalties. At this point having him on the team is much more valuable than Sam Gagner.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I don't understand this. Hope Friedman is wrong.

Not a fan of Kassians play but at the same time it has not been bad. He is overpaid for what he is doing but... only by a tiny margin. I just don't think he is on the way out due purely to performance. Hope he still has his life moving in the right direction.

After that goal against last night due to his penalty they showed him on the bench and was clearly upset at the turn of events. Had 100 yard stare. Deep in unpleasant thoughts. Wonder if he knew that sequence sunk him.

Reactions: belair

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Who cares if he missed practice? They're both offense only players who don't have a role on this team.

Aberg can skate and Gagner has a better history but Gagner makes no sense now. Aberg at least costs next to nothing.

McLellan has no time for Puljujarvi on this team because he's lost without the puck. Gagner is bad defensively so he adds nothing and you add salary for no reason.

Yamamoto is a better fit for this team than Gagner and Gagner isn't a bottom 6 player.

Yamamoto isn't putting up huge numbers but he's a tenacious forechecker, wins pucks and is solid enough defensively to kill penalties. At this point having him on the team is much more valuable than Sam Gagner.
What they cost means next to nothing considering the majority of the salary is heading back the other way. The only salary that matters is the difference between him and Kassian--which is $1.1m if nothing is retained--which is a small price to pay if it means not having to protect Yamamoto in the Seattle draft. The cap relief we get if we keep Gagner in the AHL is $1.05m, which essentially negates the salary completely.

Looking at Yamamoto specifically, he's probably going to be the odd man out once Ty Rattie is activated anyways. He's better suited developing his offensive game in a scoring role against competition he isn't completely overwhelmed by.

I'm just looking at this deal thinking it's likely Zack Kassian has little to no trade value in the NHL with his contract. Vancouver is a destination that knows him very well--Benning was the GM who traded him to Montreal--and Gagner is the player they've been shopping since training camp to no takers. He's also a GM who likes 'toughness' in his lineup and the retirement of Derek Dorsett took some away from his roster. A bit of retention and it's my guess as to what happens with Zack Kassian.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Kassian was actually being tough then teams would look at him. Unfortunately he hasn't been even playing to those strengths.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
He's a million dollars more expensive than Kassian--that goes away if we decide to keep him in the AHL. The Canucks could also be convinced to retain if we sweeten the return a tad if the idea was to use Gagner on the NHL roster at some point.

As for Gagner vs Aberg--one of them is a proven NHL forward who consistently puts up 40 point seasons while the other is a young kid who misses practice in his first week with the team.

One of our main current organizational needs are on the wings on the second and third lines, which suits Gagner's ability just fine. Odds are there'll be players switching in and out of the lineup all season in those roles considering Puljujarvi isn't going anywhere. Acquiring Gagner would essentially allow us to send Yamamoto down to Bakersfield instead of risking him hitting that 40 game mark this season for the minimal production he's currently providing.

RNH - McDavid - Rattie
Rieder - Draisaitl - Gagner
Lucic - Strome - Puljujarvi
Caggiula - Brodziak - Chiasson
Khaira, Marody

All of these wingers are interchangeable.
The 40 games for Yamamoto don't matter. NHL or AHL, he's burning a year of his contract.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
The 40 games for Yamamoto don't matter. NHL or AHL, he's burning a year of his contract.
My bad, 40 games is for a year accrued towards UFA status. I'm assuming the Oilers will probably attempt to avoid that as well. Yamamoto is currently on pace for less than twenty points in a full NHL season at his current pace, seeing plenty of top six ice. It won't be too difficult to upgrade on his production this season. He belongs in the AHL.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
My bad, 40 games is for a year accrued towards UFA status. I'm assuming the Oilers will probably attempt to avoid that as well. Yamamoto is currently on pace for less than twenty points in a full NHL season at his current pace, seeing plenty of top six ice. It won't be too difficult to upgrade on his production this season. He belongs in the AHL.
If he played in the AHL, he's still losing a year to UFA status. That only happens when the players are sent back to Jr.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think we should let agents make all our trades for us.

Remember agents know all 31 managers and assist GMs and work with them constantly on player signings and player issues. Agents are asked to get involved when the team cannot find a deal to move a player who typically wants out, usually due to a lack of playing time or being sent to the minors. It happens all the time. I would think they plan to move him down to the minors once Rattie gets back, and have informed him and his agent as they would rather not pay a player 2M to play in the minors.

So this means that Chiarelli has looked for takers, cant find any, goes to the agent and basically says there's nothing out there, feel free to try. Zero takers for him which is not surprising in the least. I would think they plan to move him down to the minors if they cant get a deal done once Rattie gets back, and have informed his agent to see what he can find.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Why would anyone suggest Kassian for Gagner? Sam couldn't even make the Canucks lineup as a well liked veteran presence. The guy is done.

Please God no, we do not want Gagner back now or ever. There is a reason he cant stick on any team in the league.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
When Kassian inevitably moves on, we'll always this golden gif.

kassian-hertl-stare-gif.gif

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If he played in the AHL, he's still losing a year to UFA status. That only happens when the players are sent back to Jr.
I was under the impression there was a contractual benefit to having Yamamoto in the AHL this season. Regardless, he still belongs there this year unless he starts producing more. We're not doing him any favors by rushing him.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

It’s not hard to get them to retain 1.2 million to even the salaries. They could pay 6.7 million for Gags to not play for them or 6.4 for Kassian to play for them. And Gags at under 2 million is actually a player who would help this team quite a bit. He was very effective in Columbus being sheltered at ES, and then playing on the PP

Why would anyone suggest Kassian for Gagner? Sam couldn't even make the Canucks lineup as a well liked veteran presence. The guy is done.

He had 81 points the last 2 years and is just about PPG this year in the minors. He’s not done, and the Canucks are nuts to play guys like Motte and Archibald over him. People realize he would have been 6th on our team in scoring last year right?

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think that if we are to bring in a veteran RW that we need to aim our sights higher than Gagner who couldn't make the Canucks. I'd sooner have Kassian in Bakersfield eating into our cap than take on a pleyer with more term or AAV that woudn't be of much help.

Reactions: OilDrop37

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
It's too bad, really thought Kass was gonna turn it around after getting another shot with the oil. Wherever he ends up, I hope he remembers where he was before that second chance, and doesn't fall back into any bad habits on or off the ice.

Something tells me he just doesn't work well with this coaching staff. I remember reading on here how he was told to tone down the physicality after that unreal playoff game, and he hasn't been the same since.

This is how I remember it as well, thought maybe I imagined that, glad someone else remembers it the same way.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

If Vancouver doesn't want Gagner, we shouldn't want Gagner.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad