Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Kassian's Days Numbered?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
imo it is the good kind of drama. Either he takes this as a wake up call or he's gone. He can be a good player.

I agree. Given his play I'd definitely have Rattie, Pulju, or Marody in the lineup ahead of him.

Extra cap space would help too assuming a trade for a pick. I'd imagine some team would take a chance on him to add some crazy for the playoffs.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Kass lost all intensity when he signed that contract. Perhaps the 3 year term was a mistake. He was hungry when he got here. Now he’s disinterested most nights.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Guessing Oilers are done with him. He honestly hasnt been good this year or last. He was great 2 years ago. Seemed to lose his motivation after he got his contract.

I could see someone taking him for a pick. He has some nice qualities, hes just inconsistent. 1.95mil per year sucks for this year but theres lots of teams where his salary wont hinder them. I could see him going for a mid round pick.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Probably doing Kassian a solid before putting him on waivers.

Yep, this is a very plausible scenario. I think with Kassian's past substance abuse issues, maybe interested teams want to hear right from him what he's doing and what he's done to not suffer a relapse.

I like Kassian and I'm so happy he saved his career and pulled himself out of a bleak situation, but this why I want non-guaranteed contracts in the NHL. Too many players play hard to get a payday and coast when they get it.

In comparison, Lucic is busting his ass to earn his money this year and I'm glad he's still an Oiler.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Hopefully Chia flips him for a project with upside.
Maybe another no namer like Marody

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
WTF. How does this even make sense? Chia asks Kassian to go and find a trade? How does that even work? Okay so Kassian goes and finds a partner, they want future considerations for him. Does Chia have to agree to that?!

And f*** no do I want to lose Kass. We Oilers fans have short memories, everyone looked bad last year so don't give me that shit like he disappeared for a year when the entire team was MIA last year.

We're going to regret trading him come playoff time I can garantee that. This is going to be a huge mistake if we give up Kass for peanuts. Not a fan of this news at all!

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
WTF. How does this even make sense? Chia asks Kassian to go and find a trade? How does that even work? Okay so Kassian goes and finds a partner, they want future considerations for him. Does Chia have to agree to that?!

And **** no do I want to lose Kass. We Oilers fans have short memories, everyone looked bad last year so don't give me that **** like he disappeared for a year when the entire team was MIA last year.

We're going to regret trading him come playoff time I can garantee that. This is going to be a huge mistake if we give up Kass for peanuts. Not a fan of this news at all!

It's a lot more common than you'd think for a player's agent to be involved in the trade process. As mentioned before, I'm sure given Kassian's substance abuse problems GMs aren't going to jump at Chia's email when he announces that he's available.

Its as easy as Kassian and his agent realizing that he's gone from a 3rd-4th line tweener to a 12/13 forward and have probably asked Chia if they can move on to another organization that might give him a better opportunity. Chia says 'Go for it' and the agent starts calling other GMs with his pitch.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The return would be nothing if Chia has asked Kassian to find a taker.
"Go finda team that will get me A 4th round pick for you'

I believe Chia said something similar to Yakupovs agent too... That got us a bust prospect plus conditional pick that we never got.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
I told my wife when he took that penalty that he probably just played his last shift as an Oiler. He's been the worst forward by a pretty fair margin, happy he turned his life around, but this version of Kassian doesn't belong here, and probably doesn't belong in the NHL.

Reactions: belair

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002

And **** no do I want to lose Kass. We Oilers fans have short memories, everyone looked bad last year so don't give me that **** like he disappeared for a year when the entire team was MIA last year.

They aren't asking Kassian's agent to set the price, they're asking him to sell his client to another GM so they can deal him. If you read between the lines, Kassian wants out, Oilers can't find anyone willing to take him.

Reactions: RegDunlop and oil85

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
They aren't asking Kassian's agent to set the price, they're asking him to sell his client to another GM so they can deal him. If you read between the lines, Kassian wants out, Oilers can't find anyone willing to take him.

Well if Kass wants out that'd be easier to swallow. If he feels like he can't cut it and won't up his game to make this team... that's kind of sad.

My preference would be for Chia to have a sit down with him, tell him to work for his spot and see what happens.

I don't want to lose Kass, I think there's a real effective player there for the 4th line at least, with upward potential still untapped.

We all saw what a monster he was in the playoffs, a guy like Kass feeds on team success, we haven't given him any team success to feed off of.

Reactions: RegDunlop and ujju2

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004

I look at this the same way and this looks to be a useful strategy. The Oilers are done with Kassian and Kassian is done with the OIlers...who better than to make a pitch and shake the bushes for interest from another team than the players agent?

I also find it interesting that the only posters that seem to have an issue with this are the posters that find reasons to hate on Chiarelli.

Reactions: OilDrop37

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Was saying in training camp how St Louis made a lot of sense if we were able to take back similar money. Their forward group is a weird mix with a fourth line containing skill forwards and very little grit.

I think if we find a taker on Kassian, a defenseman with a similarly shaped contract is the likely return for him.

In all honesty, this Kassian saga that just reared it's head is probably the least surprising thing that could've happened.

Last edited:

Cam98

Jun 24, 2009
Well if Kass wants out that'd be easier to swallow. If he feels like he can't cut it and won't up his game to make this team... that's kind of sad.

My preference would be for Chia to have a sit down with him, tell him to work for his spot and see what happens.

I don't want to lose Kass, I think there's a real effective player there for the 4th line at least, with upward potential still untapped.

We all saw what a monster he was in the playoffs, a guy like Kass feeds on team success, we haven't given him any team success to feed off of.

He isn't effective and hasn't been effective since 16/17 playoffs. In addition, I bet he has had multiple talks with management and coaching staff and yet still plays like a player who gives no f***. I am happy he will be gone, we have younger and hungrier players who want to play than Kassian.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
No worry here. The team prob said hey go find a trade for your player we don't wanr him.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He isn't effective and hasn't been effective since 16/17 playoffs. In addition, I bet he has had multiple talks with management and coaching staff and yet still plays like a player who gives no ****. I am happy he will be gone, we have younger and hungrier players who want to play than Kassian.

Were talking 4th liners here. They don't do much for any team they are on but we somehow always expect Kassian to win games for us. When shit hits the fan, we're going to want Kassian in the lineup I garantee it. Wait till we get some heated games against the Flames or the Ducks. We'll regret this.

Reactions: RegDunlop

oil85

Mar 12, 2017
I see this mutual separation as a positive for both parties. His mind and heart is no longer here so hopefully (just speculating) he works out both his on and off ice issues. For Oilers, hopefully the extra 1.95m cap savings will be put to good use in the off-season. We'll always have a need for new PTOs based on the top heavy structure of the roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeOfAPerfectPair
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad