Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Brassard? Risto? Bueller? Bueller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The cap space arguement to me doesn't work, because if Holland wants to add a rental player say around Christmas to trade deadline (lets say Kreider or something), the team giving up a rental player will really just care about getting a draft pick/prospect(s) back.

They'll take Brassard or Gagner or Manning back as a cap dump to facilitate a trade as need be as its off the books at the end of the year anyway.

$2 mill on Brassard would be smart. You still have about a $1.5 mill cushion for bonus overages. Why just sit on the $2 million for no reason when you could bring in a player that can help the team from game 1.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You know who I'd take as a 3c....?

8478020.jpg
He would cost you Puljujarvi.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The cap space arguement to me doesn't work, because if Holland wants to add a rental player say around Christmas to trade deadline (lets say Kreider or something), the team giving up a rental player will really just care about getting a draft pick/prospect(s) back.

They'll take Brassard or Gagner or Manning back as a cap dump to facilitate a trade as need be as its off the books at the end of the year anyway.

$2 mill on Brassard would be smart. You still have about a $1.5 mill cushion for bonus overages. Why just sit on the $2 million for no reason when you could bring in a player that can help the team from game 1.

Why spend to the cap when on paper you are a none playoff team?

We could have two bonus babies on the team with both Smith and Bouchard. Smith's bonus total 2 mill (I think).

I am dead set against any carry over penalties. We are not a playoff team in my opinion.

We should use this year to get a better idea of what we gave with our prospects in Bakersfield.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't know man, Brassard is pretty much the quintessential washed up top 6er. He's been terrible in a bottom six role, and he'll cost monies.
Gagner, at least, y'know, we already have him under contract, he digs Edmonton, he's played in bottom six roles before, he's payed his dues, has his flaws, but at least he's up in a year and gives Marody/McLeod competition.
We're not golden with either of these fellows in that role, but, may as well save 2 million and go with the guy we know.

I’m 100% against signing Brassard. Who knows maybe Drai is able to dominate on his own and we run Connor, Drai and Nuge for the most part of games and then pair up Drai and McD when needed? Or pair Gagner with two solid two way wingers and hope for the best.

Mcwinner

Jul 9, 2015
BNL's off season trade proposals v.3.435464
aka. "See you in Hell"

:blues
Jesse Puljujarvi

:edmonton
Robby Fabbri
token 4th rounder

:nucks
Kyle Brodziak
Brandon Manning

:edmonton
Loui Eriksson (1.x retained)

-----

bonn ape tit

start october with the contract guys and eventually work in benson, marody, jones etc.

Draisaitl-McDavid-Kassian
Nygard-Nugent Hopkins-Neal
Eriksson-Granlund-Chiasson
Fabbri-Gagner-Archibald
Cave, Khaira, Jurco

Klefbom-Lardeadly
Nurse-Benning
Russell-Persson

Smith/Kosk

Eriksson is so bad that him in a trade for Lucic was supposedly a non starter for Holland. This trade proposal shakes me to my core.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Alongside Julien Gauthier and Pavel Zacha, Mike Amadio is in the range of a realistic target for a return for JP. Zacha at the moment has a little more current value. But I don't see him getting the kind of ice required to continue the scoring pace he finished with last season.

There's also a good chance that no team is willing to give JP a guaranteed role out of camp, which pretty much guarantees he plays next season in Europe. But when it comes to what we should be looking at, I don't see the point of taking any less.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I’m 100% against signing Brassard. Who knows maybe Drai is able to dominate on his own and we run Connor, Drai and Nuge for the most part of games and then pair up Drai and McD when needed? Or pair Gagner with two solid two way wingers and hope for the best.
Would take Maroon over Brassard if we are scraping the bottom some more.
Atleast Brodziak is good on the dot. Brassard would be another Gagner

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why spend to the cap when on paper you are a none playoff team?

We could have two bonus babies on the team with both Smith and Bouchard. Smith's bonus total 2 mill (I think).

I am dead set against any carry over penalties. We are not a playoff team in my opinion.

We should use this year to get a better idea of what we gave with our prospects in Bakersfield.

Why do you care if they spend to the cap or not? Are you paying the salary?

$2 million for a Brassard or $1 million on a Maroon still leaves plenty for potential bonuses from Mike Smith.

We can use every bit of help we can get, even if it's "only 10-14 goals" ... fine, I'll take it, we could have used that desperately last year. More goals for means some of the goals against can be cancelled out.

Every team should try their best to make the playoffs, every one has a chance, giving up before the season even starts from a team POV is for losers. If fans/pundits want to feel that way, I don't expect playoffs as a fan and that's one thing, but as an organization/GM if that's your attitude, that's f***ing lame.

Ottawa is the only team that should have no chance at a playoff berth, and even them making it wouldn't blow me away, crazy things happen in the parity oriented NHL all the time.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why do you care if they spend to the cap or not? Are you paying the salary?

$2 million for a Brassard or $1 million on a Maroon still leaves plenty for potential bonuses from Mike Smith.

We can use every bit of help we can get, even if it's "only 10-14 goals" ... fine, I'll take it, we could have used that desperately last year. More goals for means some of the goals against can be cancelled out.

Every team should try their best to make the playoffs, every one has a chance, giving up before the season even starts from a team POV is for losers. If fans/pundits want to feel that way, I don't expect playoffs as a fan and that's one thing, but as an organization/GM if that's your attitude, that's ****ing lame.

Ottawa is the only team that should have no chance at a playoff berth, and even them making it wouldn't blow me away, crazy things happen in the parity oriented NHL all the time.

Check capfriendly we do not have 3 mill. We have 2.35... Sending manning down frees up just over a mill.

We are a none playoff team. Come the deadline teams trying to add a player will need to shed money and a contract.. With the extra money we could assets like picks or good prospects to take an expecting contract.

Why spend to the cap when you do not have to? Next off season we will have more flexibility

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Smith has bonuses and that will eat up a lot of our cap space if he gets his bonuses. And please don't use the "carry over next season" idea we are going to need that money next year. We already have too much dead cap space
The reason people push back on your "no carry over" argument is because it is fundamentally flawed. First off, the only way Smith earns his full bonus is if he takes over as the starter and gets the Oilers into the playoffs. I suspect most people here would be ok with that even if it meant a little less to spend next year.

The second reason is that there are lots of things the Oilers can do to mitigate a small carry over next year. Aside from Nurse they have no significant adds for next year. His raise is absorbed by the rising cap pretty easily. They have Manning, Gagner and Gryba's $300K off the books. That's about $4.6M with only Gagner to be replaced. Their should be a cheap internal replacement for Gagner so this gives them about $3.8M to in new money to improve the current roster which as it sits right now has about $4M in space once you put everyone where they should be. That's just under $8M to improve the current roster. If you have to carry over $1.5M because Smith led you to the playoffs you do it without blinking an eye. And if you need more I am pretty sure I could find you another $1-4M without substantially impacting the current roster.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It is not flawed.. Kiskinen sucks so there is a high chance smith takes over

None playoff teams should not spend to the cap. We have lots of prospects and projects laying around and we should play them all during the season to see what we have

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
The reason people push back on your "no carry over" argument is because it is fundamentally flawed. First off, the only way Smith earns his full bonus is if he takes over as the starter and gets the Oilers into the playoffs. I suspect most people here would be ok with that even if it meant a little less to spend next year.

The second reason is that there are lots of things the Oilers can do to mitigate a small carry over next year. Aside from Nurse they have no significant adds for next year. His raise is absorbed by the rising cap pretty easily. They have Manning, Gagner and Gryba's $300K off the books. That's about $4.6M with only Gagner to be replaced. Their should be a cheap internal replacement for Gagner so this gives them about $3.8M to in new money to improve the current roster which as it sits right now has about $4M in space once you put everyone where they should be. That's just under $8M to improve the current roster. If you have to carry over $1.5M because Smith led you to the playoffs you do it without blinking an eye. And if you need more I am pretty sure I could find you another $1-4M without substantially impacting the current roster.

It’s starts getting better for sure next year when some of these contracts are up

World Wanderer

Feb 6, 2007

None playoff teams should not spend to the cap. We have lots of prospects and projects laying around and we should play them all during the season to see what we have
Smith can't get to full bonuses unless the Oilers make it to the playoffs. So why preallocate the full bonus amount? Not only that if the Oilers are not playoff team, they are most likely sellers at the trade deadline, freeing up caps space for possible bonuses if it is such a problem going forward.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002

None of this shows that Smith’s bonuses, even if earned in full, would be an issue for the team.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

We were only 16 points out of the playoffs last year. That's 8 more wins. I dont think it's that hard for us to improve 8 more games than last year, especially when the year before we were in the playoffs with 104 points. All it takes is the team to play decent to good hockey and we can be back in the playoffs. Since we removed the distractions (Pulju and Lucic) this team will play much better I am sure

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
We were only 16 points out of the playoffs last year. That's 8 more wins. I dont think it's that hard for us to improve 8 more games than last year, especially when the year before we were in the playoffs with 104 points. All it takes is the team to play decent to good hockey and we can be back in the playoffs. Since we removed the distractions (Pulju and Lucic) this team will play much better I am sure
"Only" 16 points. And that was with a very mediocre Western Conference. Not to mention career years for McDavid, Draistal, and RNH.

The team isn't a playoff team right now without some Vezina-like performance from either goalie.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
"Only" 16 points. And that was with a very mediocre Western Conference. Not to mention career years for McDavid, Draistal, and RNH.

The team isn't a playoff team right now without some Vezina-like performance from either goalie.

Average goaltending would have yielded at least 6 more wins last season. I don’t think anyone would doubt that. If our top 4 D could have stayed healthy it very likely would have led to at least another win or two.

McDavid and Drai having career years shouldn’t be a worry as it’s not like they are past their prime or have even hit their peak yet. Both players have steadily improved since their first seasons in the league and they will likely continue to improve.

I know I’m acting like a big time optimist to your eternal pessimist here. But I think the glass is more half full where as you’re acting as if it is dry.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

Your argument is contradictory which in my books is a big flaw. If the Oilers miss the playoffs then Smith's bonuses are at most $1.0M and only if he plays 45 games. Since Koskinen likely gets the bulk of the games early on this would mean that Smith would have to be the defacto starter by game 20 or these bonuses will be even less. And if Koskinen "sucks" as you say, then he likely gets bought out next year as well if they need space.

The bottom line is that the Oilers have enough cap space next year with the current roster and with bonus overages maxed out to add a $6M player next year. They can also manufacture more space if they need it so if they have someone at say $7.5M that could be managed as well. So why not maximize yur chances to win this year rather than sitting with unused cap space. As it is they will probably have $1.5M or so even if they add another player. That is more than enough to handle deadline moves and to avoid overages.

The prospect argument is a different one. I also think that they need to give some of them a chance but the prospects will get time due to injuries etc. I personally don't think they should add someone unless they make the team better but if they can find such a player they need to go for it especially if it on a one year deal as most of the candidates are likely to be.

Last edited:

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016

They are a bubble team with average goal tending and a healthy d-core. The Oilers went on the massive losing skid after losing 3 of our top 4 dmen. The bottom 6 is now improved to the point that they are not AHL players which is massive. The Oilers are no contender but they are better than they were last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad