Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Brassard? Risto? Bueller? Bueller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Ya I don't think so personally. Holland also talked about guys in Bako getting a shot. I don't see him adding more ppl to block that.

He wants for guys like Benson, Marody or even Currie to win spots.

Roster is set. That extra $ is for the TDL or an early trade if needed

We are linked to Brassard on the rumor mill, so who knows, lets see.

Signing a 1 year player doesn't neccessarily limit your TDL flexibility, I wish people could understand that. You're going to be dealing picks/prospects but teams in sell mode will be willing to take back a 1 year salary of a Brassard (if it doesn't work out) or Gagner or even a Manning at the deadline if that's what it takes to complete a trade.

Most teams understand they have to take back some salary to make trades work.

I get it's the summer where hope springs eternal that the Yamamotos/Ratties/Puljujarvis will step onto the roster and take a spot and really contribute, I guess Benson is this year's great hope, but there's no guarantee of shit really.

Brassard has 6 straight 14+ goal seasons even last year which was a "bad" year for him. The Oilers still really only have maybe 4 guys that have a really, really good shot at 14+ goals on their roster.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Check capfriendly we do not have 3 mill. We have 2.35... Sending manning down frees up just over a mill.

We are a none playoff team. Come the deadline teams trying to add a player will need to shed money and a contract.. With the extra money we could assets like picks or good prospects to take an expecting contract.

Why spend to the cap when you do not have to? Next off season we will have more flexibility

I look at Cap Friendly every day, it also has Jurco and Cave on the active roster when they're unlikely to be.

What does signing a player to a 1 year deal have to do with next year's cap flexibility? Nothing.

Fans pay out their ass for tickets, the Oilers owe the fanbase to spend to have the best possible team, saving Katz a few bucks is not a priority if there's a player sitting there that can help the team on the ice for a cheap contract.

It would be stupid to sit there and do nothing.

"Writing off years" before they even start by the way is the fastest way to get Connor McDavid into "I need to get the f*** out of here" mode. The Oilers didn't want this responsibility or pressure they could've gladly just handed off that golden ticket to Buffalo or Arizona, but this is what comes with the territory now.

They are *obligated* to try their best every year because they have McDavid. If you don't want that responsibility, guess what, there's an easy way to alleviate that.

Last edited:

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Who wrote that puddle of diarrhea so I don't accidentally read anything by them in the future?

63 points would be a 16-point drop from last season. They'd be one of the worst teams in the last 20-years and almost the worst team in the history of the franchise.
Alison Lukan.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
So many red flags in that article. I mean Columbus is going to be 5th in the NHL apparently.

Alison Lukan is a Columbus beat writer. Apparently losing most of your impact players and adding Nyquist leads to a top 5 team when you’re trying to make the fans feel good about nothing.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
The Athletic pegged the Oilers at 63 points for next year... I can't say I really blame them.

No WAR model is going to be kind to this lineup. We are gambling on guys that have not touched NHL ice in the top 9. Lots of guys we're putting up had crap seasons last year. The amount of unknowns and hopes for guys to turn things around make these kinds of results fair on models that are trying to look at recent NHL performance to give good grades.

Reactions: mouz135 and belair

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Yeah, we're not worse - but we're definitely around as bad as we were last year. If Koskinen doesn't go on his hot streaks like he did last year for some stretches, it could be pretty dire.

And since we’re playing the “what if” game... what if koskinen sorts his glove out and plays consistently? It could be not so dire.

Or smith plays like he did in the playoffs.

o98

Feb 26, 2003
Edmonton, Alberta
And since we’re playing the “what if” game... what if koskinen sorts his glove out and plays consistently? It could be not so dire.

Koskinen could absolutely sort out his glove this summer, get a bit stronger on the sharp angles/behind-the-net plays (things he didn't see much in the KHL but improved upon in the 2nd half of the year), and he would be much improved over last year *without* needing to go on some crazy hot streak.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown

Knowing how this show goes for us, my hypothetical is probably the correct one. Don't get me wrong, I want Koskinen to play to his contract and Smith to go out on top for us here, but this is the Oilers we're talking about.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
How did the roster get worse?

They did lose Strome, Cagguila, and Sekera.

That's a 3c, top9 winger and one of the Oilers best D when he returned.

Lucic was way overpaid but he wasn't a big negative to the team. He provided hitting and toughness.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
>Or smith plays like he did in the playoffs

This team actually suits smith more than Calgary I think. He seems to do better when faced with more shots, and the Oilers are shot producing machines! (for the other team)

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
They did lose Strome, Cagguila, and Sekera.

That's a 3c, top9 winger and one of the Oilers best D when he returned.

Lucic was way overpaid but he wasn't a big negative to the team. He provided hitting and toughness.

Yeah, I was thinking back to what they started last year with. Strome is a loss for sure (though ending up with Gagner is not terrible, I see him getting 25-30 pts if things go right). I think 3C will be the biggest hole this year and will see players rotate in and out of that spot a bit. Caggiula for Manning is a net negative but Caggiula is a replacement level energy player in general and was kind of a disaster defensively. I feel like his spot has been more than covered with the additions this offseason. Sekera's puck moving ability could be missed but it was clear that he's not a top 4 D anymore. Definitely need to see what the young D can do before they lose exemption next year.

I'd argue Lucic wasn't doing much of anything anymore. Whether he will for Calgary or any other team from here on out remains to be seen (and doubtful). Toughness and hitting was more than covered by other players that contribute more. Neal, while no guarantee, seems like a reasonable bet to bounce back, and if not, can be traded with retention (if he has a reasonable return to form), or if he's done, can be bought out and the free cap can be used with the other cap coming off for a difference maker.

Edit: Some would also say the goaltending, but Talbot was done here, whether or not his career is finished in general. I could see one of the rookies coming in and impressing if Koskinen or Smith don't work out.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Yeah, I was thinking back to what they started last year with. Strome is a loss for sure (though ending up with Gagner is not terrible, I see him getting 25-30 pts if things go right). I think 3C will be the biggest hole this year and will see players rotate in and out of that spot a bit. Caggiula for Manning is a net negative but Caggiula is a replacement level energy player in general and was kind of a disaster defensively. I feel like his spot has been more than covered with the additions this offseason. Sekera's puck moving ability could be missed but it was clear that he's not a top 4 D anymore. Definitely need to see what the young D can do before they lose exemption next year.

I'd argue Lucic wasn't doing much of anything anymore. Whether he will for Calgary or any other team from here on out remains to be seen (and doubtful). Toughness and hitting was more than covered by other players that contribute more. Neal, while no guarantee, seems like a reasonable bet to bounce back, and if not, can be traded with retention (if he has a reasonable return to form), or if he's done, can be bought out and the free cap can be used with the other cap coming off for a difference maker.

Edit: Some would also say the goaltending, but Talbot was done here, whether or not his career is finished in general. I could see one of the rookies coming in and impressing if Koskinen or Smith don't work out.

Gagner can't hack it as a center. After his first couple energy boost games he also faded as a winger.
Cagguila was till a Top9 guy and is doing well in Chicago.
Sekera was starting to look like that Top4 guy again near the end of the year.

Strome was not replaced. Cagguila it looks like has been replaced by one of the legion hired. Sekera or the big black hole that was there before his return has not been filled.

Can't get any worse than Talbot last year.

They definitely are not stronger except maybe winger depth.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Koskinen needs to improve his high glove ... I'll give him a shot because last year was effectively his first year in the NHL. His game otherwise is pretty good.

Smith they will need him to play like he did for Flames for the 2nd half of the season and in the playoffs.

Klefbom needs to freaking be healthy. Larsson needs to get his head screwed on and get back to being plus player.

Tippett in general needs to bring more structure to the Oilers defensive coverage, especially the damn PK.

If those things start to iron out, then the Oilers got a chance but even then, Holland likely is going to have to add a 2nd line scoring boost at some point during the season.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
>Or smith plays like he did in the playoffs

This team actually suits smith more than Calgary I think. He seems to do better when faced with more shots, and the Oilers are shot producing machines! (for the other team)

This is actually pretty interesting. I would be interested in seeing a deep dive into Smiths numbers. Because some goalies actually do better facing more shots (low and mid danger shots) due to always being ready

Cause for concern would be Oilers give up a ton of high danger chances as well, and not many goalies do better faced with high danger chances, thats where numbers start to crater

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Seeing news about Calgary failed trades got me nervous. They were super close to landing Stone but wouldnt give up Valimaki, and also almost got Zucker. Both guys are studs. Always seems like Calgary is in the mix for whatever top player is available

Reactions: Mr Positive

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Seeing news about Calgary failed trades got me nervous. They were super close to landing Stone but wouldnt give up Valimaki, and also almost got Zucker. Both guys are studs. Always seems like Calgary is in the mix for whatever top player is available

We were super close to landing Micheal Nylander, Marian Hosea and Dany Heatley as well. Close doesn’t count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad