Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Brassard? Risto? Bueller? Bueller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
We'll see. If Maroon is able to be had for like $1.5 million dollars or Brassard for $2 mill ... it'd be kinda stupid not to take the chance.

We need every 10+ goal scorer (likely to be ) that we can get.

Ya I don't think so personally. Holland also talked about guys in Bako getting a shot. I don't see him adding more ppl to block that.

He wants for guys like Benson, Marody or even Currie to win spots.

Roster is set. That extra $ is for the TDL or an early trade if needed

Reactions: Louis Cypher

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
Ya I don't think so personally. Holland also talked about guys in Bako getting a shot. I don't see him adding more ppl to block that.

He wants for guys like Benson, Marody or even Currie to win spots.

Roster is set. That extra $ is for the TDL or an early trade if needed

Ahhhgrgghghhhhh!!...

Pardon me. I just had a flashback from 2017.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Average goaltending would have yielded at least 6 more wins last season. I don’t think anyone would doubt that. If our top 4 D could have stayed healthy it very likely would have led to at least another win or two.

McDavid and Drai having career years shouldn’t be a worry as it’s not like they are past their prime or have even hit their peak yet. Both players have steadily improved since their first seasons in the league and they will likely continue to improve.

I know I’m acting like a big time optimist to your eternal pessimist here. But I think the glass is more half full where as you’re acting as if it is dry.
It's not dry but the Oilers still failed massively in what was an exploitable conference. It's always "If this player played better" or "If this guy was healthy", etc etc... Injuries and ups/downs in play happen with every single team. If your hope is "Hope everyone stays healthy" then I have news for you: Not going to happen.

Even when the d-core was healthy they still weren't very good. 16 points is a LOT to overcome. You don't just have to make up the points, you have to be better than a multitude of teams. They were second last in the conference and rightly so. Even the biggest optimist on this board can't seriously think they're a top 3 team in the division, after which you're going for the wild card... And they aren't better than the two wild card teams from last year.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
It's not dry but the Oilers still failed massively in what was an exploitable conference. It's always "If this player played better" or "If this guy was healthy", etc etc... Injuries and ups/downs in play happen with every single team. If your hope is "Hope everyone stays healthy" then I have news for you: Not going to happen.

Even when the d-core was healthy they still weren't very good. 16 points is a LOT to overcome. You don't just have to make up the points, you have to be better than a multitude of teams. They were second last in the conference and rightly so. Even the biggest optimist on this board can't seriously think they're a top 3 team in the division, after which you're going for the wild card... And they aren't better than the two wild card teams from last year.

There were many games last year where we looked unbeatable. And there were many games where the Condors would have played better than us.

If we can smooth out the lows with some secondary scoring and more stable goaltending we could be top 3 in our division baring any significant injuries.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Not really Oilers related per se but gotta love how Devil's fans can't tell the difference between resign and re-sign.

plz resign Taylor!!!! vs please re-sign Taylor

lol

Reactions: joestevens29

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
There were many games last year where we looked unbeatable. And there were many games where the Condors would have played better than us.

If we can smooth out the lows with some secondary scoring and more stable goaltending we could be top 3 in our division baring any significant injuries.
I really, really don't think so. Teams like Vegas and San Jose feasted on the Oilers last season, healthy or not. While I don't think they'll finish 7th in the division again, it's really hard to picture them being better than the top 3 from last year, maybe even the Coyotes.

I think there will be improvements, but playoffs? I struggle to see which current playoff team they are better than.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

I never said “everyone stays healthy” what happened is that 3 of our top 4 Dmen were all injured at the same time for an extended period.

I get that you can’t bank on every player having a career year, yet you’re sitting here banking on every player either having a career worst year or not playing up to their potential.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I never said “everyone stays healthy” what happened is that 3 of our top 4 Dmen were all injured at the same time for an extended period.

I get that you can’t bank on every player having a career year, yet you’re sitting here banking on every player either having a career worst year or not playing up to their potential.
But even when those players came back the team still wasn't very good. I know we were hit by injuries but even after they were resolved the team still didn't do much better.

I'm not banking on players having a career worst year. I'm banking on a team that has many holes not being a playoff team. We had our top players play tremendously last year and that wasn't enough to even sniff the postseason. We need about 75% of the roster to play better than last year, and much better in certain cases (Larsson, Koskinen).

I know our forwards suck, but that defense is nowhere near playoff caliber either. A lot has to go right for the Oilers to be a playoff team, and a good chunk of that is other teams not playing to their potential either. They're not better than Dallas and Colorado who beefed up in the offseason for starters.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Smith can't get to full bonuses unless the Oilers make it to the playoffs. So why preallocate the full bonus amount? Not only that if the Oilers are not playoff team, they are most likely sellers at the trade deadline, freeing up caps space for possible bonuses if it is such a problem going forward.
Why even play the regular season...there's no point! Herp Derp.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Not really Oilers related per se but gotta love how Devil's fans can't tell the difference between resign and re-sign.

plz resign Taylor!!!! vs please re-sign Taylor

lol
They can both be spelled “resign”. One is just often avoided because of the potential confusion.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
But even when those players came back the team still wasn't very good. I know we were hit by injuries but even after they were resolved the team still didn't do much better.

I'm not banking on players having a career worst year. I'm banking on a team that has many holes not being a playoff team. We had our top players play tremendously last year and that wasn't enough to even sniff the postseason. We need about 75% of the roster to play better than last year, and much better in certain cases (Larsson, Koskinen).

I know our forwards suck, but that defense is nowhere near playoff caliber either. A lot has to go right for the Oilers to be a playoff team, and a good chunk of that is other teams not playing to their potential either. They're not better than Dallas and Colorado who beefed up in the offseason for starters.

The defense was good enough to make it within a goal or a goal being called back to make it to the WCF a few years ago. You could easily argue that outside of McDavid, Nuge, Nurse and Drai that every single player had a career worst or well below average season last year. Last year a lot of things went wrong, a betting person wouldn’t bet on it being that bad again.

But I’m going to walk away now as there’s no point in ever trying to get you to attempt to look at the positive side of anything. It’s your thing to be extremely pessimistic, I get it.

Reactions: frag2

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
The defense was good enough to make it within a goal or a goal being called back to make it to the WCF a few years ago. You could easily argue that outside of McDavid, Nuge, Nurse and Drai that every single player had a career worst or well below average season last year. Last year a lot of things went wrong, a betting person wouldn’t bet on it being that bad again.

But I’m going to walk away now as there’s no point in ever trying to get you to attempt to look at the positive side of anything. It’s your thing to be extremely pessimistic, I get it.

Could win the cup with the exact same roster and he'll say we were just lucky lol

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Could win the cup with the exact same roster and he'll say we were just lucky lol

Which is funny because Talbot wasn’t even that great in the playoffs that year. He had multiple games in each series where he could have easily wore the goat horns if they would have lost the series. That doesn’t even mention that our entire 2nd line contributed nothing at all offensively for the entire playoffs.

I wouldn’t bet on the Oilers making the playoffs next season, but we have two of the best players in the world on the roster, improved depth and when healthy an average defense in my opinion. It all comes down to goaltending and special teams on whether they are playoff contenders or not.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

The defense isn't nearly the same and even that defense was average at best. They bought out arguably their best Dman from that season. The guy who was also arguably their best Dman (Larsson) is a shell of that beast from '16-'17 and Klefbom played injured the season after that and was injured again last year so can't count on him being healthy the entire season.
Oh and Russell is 3 years older than the Russell of that season.
Nurse is the only player who appreciably approved and he still has some defensive warts.
Not to mention that they don't have the Talbot of that year to backstop them.

Sure GK leans towards pessimism generally but in this case, it's justified. The team has a long way to go to even be a wild card team and a lot would have to go right for that to happen.
Anything can happen in the NHL but, on paper, this is one of the weakest teams in the west.
We'll see if Tippett can maximize the talent he has to work with. They will need complete buy in from everybody to sniff a playoff spot this season.

Reactions: Jamin

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
They can both be spelled “resign”. One is just often avoided because of the potential confusion.

Definition of RE-SIGN

re-sign
verb (2)
\ (ˌ)rē-ˈsīn \
re-signed; re-signing; re-signs
Definition of re-sign (Entry 2 of 2)
transitive verb
: to sign again especially : to rehire (someone, such as an athlete) by means of a signed contract
intransitive verb
: to sign up again

resign

verb (1)
re·sign | \ ri-ˈzīn \
resigned; resigning; resigns
Definition of resign

(Entry 1 of 2)
transitive verb
1: RELEGATE, CONSIGNespecially : to give (oneself) over without resistanceresigned herself to her fate
2: to give up deliberatelyespecially : to renounce (something, such as a right or position) by a formal act
intransitive verb
1: to give up one's office or position : QUIT
2: to accept something as inevitable : SUBMIT

Reactions: frag2 and BudBundy

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

The goaltending upheld the defense. Also Sekera is gone and Larsson is a shadow of himself. The defense is not the same as it was in 2017.

And yes, a lot of things did go wrong in 2019. And 2018. And 2016, and... well, you get the idea. A lot of things went right in 2017, which is what would need to happen again in 2020.

I know you already stepped out of this conversation, but realistically, which playoff team from last year are the Oilers better than?

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
The Athletic pegged the Oilers at 63 points for next year... I can't say I really blame them.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
The Athletic pegged the Oilers at 63 points for next year... I can't say I really blame them.
Good Lord God thats awful. Sadly if “high glove side” Koskinen is the real Koskinen and Mike Smith cant stop the bleeding, it’s plausible. Especially if Larssons back acts up again.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Who wrote that puddle of diarrhea so I don't accidentally read anything by them in the future?

63 points would be a 16-point drop from last season. They'd be one of the worst teams in the last 20-years and almost the worst team in the history of the franchise.

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad