Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Brassard? Risto? Bueller? Bueller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
They did lose Strome, Cagguila, and Sekera.

That's a 3c, top9 winger and one of the Oilers best D when he returned.

Lucic was way overpaid but he wasn't a big negative to the team. He provided hitting and toughness.
The only 'loss' there is Ryan Strome, who was at least a 3C who could prevent goals from going in in bunches.

Drake Caggiula was a dime-a-dozen winger who played a high-risk offensive game to bring the middling results he came up with every year. And at this point that production has been replaced twice over with the Granlund and Archibald signings. I'd probably add a full season of Gagner's production on the PP to boot.

And Andrej Sekera has been an absolute write-off from the moment Getzlaf drove his knee into his. To call him 'one of the best Oilers D' is one hell of an exaggeration considering you're talking about a bottom pair defenseman who hasn't scored a goal since 2017.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't get what the methodology is of the Athletic article, but the smart money is to bet against us.

Here's my methodology: in the NHL, teams can set themselves apart by excelling in talent, but that measure can only occur if the team functions.

A team functioning is the result of good coaching, good leadership, and having pre-requisite skills: such as a passable goalie, a quality two way top six center, etc..

We have good coaching and leadership. We had that before. However, we lack the minimum skills. And yes, yet again, I have to say that the ONLY minimal piece we are missing is the puck moving Dman for the power play. In net, Smith and Koski isn't great but at least it is minimal. For wingers, we are lacking, but Drai counts as one. Even if our plan was Benson at 3C that is bad, but minimal.

For puck moving D we have LITERALLY nobody. It is an empty spot, not even a failing one. Our team can function if a Dman has a hot streak and resembles one, but that's our D, good players but do not have offense in their identity.

And look, I am positive about the team because the prospect pool is bright to fill our holes. But for this season, it is all dependant on a player like Bear or Bouchard being ready to carry our D's offense on their back. If they cannot, then it doesn't matter how good McDavid and Drai are, or how good Neal does, or how good Smith and Koskinen do. If a team has a weakness that glaring, it is not functional. In an age of parity, it's not a stretch for us to finish dead last at all.

Excelling in any way, such as having a player like McDavid, only matters if the team itself functions.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I don't get what the methodology is of the Athletic article, but the smart money is to bet against us.

Here's my methodology: in the NHL, teams can set themselves apart by excelling in talent, but that measure can only occur if the team functions.

A team functioning is the result of good coaching, good leadership, and having pre-requisite skills: such as a passable goalie, a quality two way top six center, etc..

We have good coaching and leadership. We had that before. However, we lack the minimum skills. And yes, yet again, I have to say that the ONLY minimal piece we are missing is the puck moving Dman for the power play. In net, Smith and Koski isn't great but at least it is minimal. For wingers, we are lacking, but Drai counts as one. Even if our plan was Benson at 3C that is bad, but minimal.

For puck moving D we have LITERALLY nobody. It is an empty spot, not even a failing one. Our team can function if a Dman has a hot streak and resembles one, but that's our D, good players but do not have offense in their identity.

And look, I am positive about the team because the prospect pool is bright to fill our holes. But for this season, it is all dependant on a player like Bear or Bouchard being ready to carry our D's offense on their back. If they cannot, then it doesn't matter how good McDavid and Drai are, or how good Neal does, or how good Smith and Koskinen do. If a team has a weakness that glaring, it is not functional. In an age of parity, it's not a stretch for us to finish dead last at all.

I think goaltending and Klefbom being healthy are the biggest factors.

Smith needs to play like he did for the Flames in 2nd half of the year + playoffs, Koskinen needs to learn from his rookie season and improve his glove hand.

Then they got a shot, but still likely will need Holland to acquire more help during the season (scoring depth and/or D help most likely).

I think Evan Bouchard will start the year in the AHL, but will get more NHL time in the 2nd half of the season.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Seeing news about Calgary failed trades got me nervous. They were super close to landing Stone but wouldnt give up Valimaki, and also almost got Zucker. Both guys are studs. Always seems like Calgary is in the mix for whatever top player is available

They...they didn’t get either of them. No reason to be nervous.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

Smith needs to play like he did for the Flames in 2nd half of the year + playoffs, Koskinen needs to learn from his rookie season and improve his glove hand.

Then they got a shot, but still likely will need Holland to acquire more help during the season (scoring depth and/or D help most likely).

I think Evan Bouchard will start the year in the AHL, but will get more NHL time in the 2nd half of the season.
I disagree. Sure it all helps, but we have lots of two way D like Klef. I'm not too worried about Smith being at least passable. But yes, those things happening would be amazing.

Here's why a puck moving D is so much more critical. All skills are connected. If you don't move the puck well in the offensive zone, you will spend more time in the defensive zone, and that's why our team only scores reliably on the rush. That tires out D like Klef and Larsson. That makes our goalies look bad. That makes our power play worse. The weakness has cascaded all over the team for many years now. We are the only team in the league without a puck moving D and it shows. A lot

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
They...they didn’t get either of them. No reason to be nervous.

By their own stupidity it seems. They were circling on some great players. The only good thing now is they dont have the cap space to make any big moves

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The only 'loss' there is Ryan Strome, who was at least a 3C who could prevent goals from going in in bunches.

Drake Caggiula was a dime-a-dozen winger who played a high-risk offensive game to bring the middling results he came up with every year. And at this point that production has been replaced twice over with the Granlund and Archibald signings. I'd probably add a full season of Gagner's production on the PP to boot.

And Andrej Sekera has been an absolute write-off from the moment Getzlaf drove his knee into his. To call him 'one of the best Oilers D' is one hell of an exaggeration considering you're talking about a bottom pair defenseman who hasn't scored a goal since 2017.

They need a 3c and a top4 rhd to make the playoffs.

Neither has to be great. Just average. Not a powder-puff as a 3c. Not a board ringer as a D. Then they could actually afford an injury. Then they make the playoffs.

IMO, that's not going to happen until next year. Perhaps someone steps up this year? Could happen. Tippet works his magic. Could happen. Those speedy wingers all turn out? Could happen.

Lots of coulds. So yes, they could make the playoffs this year, but if the above does not happen, then that does not happen.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Sekera wasn’t one of their best D when he returned.

Don’t know where everyone gets that myth from

Yes. I meant when he had returned for a time. My mistake. I wasn't clear.

He looked pretty good at the end of the year. He was sheltered but he was playing with Benning. He even made him look good. Only Nurse and Klefbom looked better and was easily the Oilers best puck mover at the end. Stats may prove me wrong, but that is what I observed.

Reactions: MisterD

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yes. I meant when he had returned for a time. My mistake. I wasn't clear.

He looked pretty good at the end of the year. He was sheltered but he was playing with Benning. He even made him look good. Only Nurse and Klefbom looked better and was easily the Oilers best puck mover at the end. Stats may prove me wrong, but that is what I observed.
He bled scoring chances against last year.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008

I would add that another major factor in success is having the coach and GM on the same page, which it appears Holland and Tippet are. Holland’s hands were tied by an unfortunate cap situation, but he did what he could to help Tippet’s vision a bit. Tippet wants a fast paced, aggressive forecheck; Holland gets him Nygard (blazing speed), turns Looch (boat anchor) into Neal (average skater), and creates a spot for Jones/Persson (above average skaters) by buying out Sekera (sub par skater after the injuries).

At the very least, Holland is giving Tippet guys that can play in his system.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
His pairing may have, but his play didn't at the end. I wonder what his last ten games stats showed.

I think Holland received some bad advice on him. This season will tell a lot on that one.
His pairing?

You know benning had much better defensive metrics than Sekera right?

How could his pairing of been the issue when Sekera's numbers were worse.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
If Calgary gets desperate to clear cap to sign Tkachuk would you guys consider acquiring Frolik?

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Kenny said he wants the Puljujarvi Drama over before end of August. I hope we can give him for Barbashev and sign Maroon as well

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Kenny said he wants the Puljujarvi Drama over before end of August. I hope we can give him for Barbashev and sign Maroon as well

Lol

No way in hell St Louis trades Barbashev for Pulju... actually no way in hell they trade Barbashev period. The Blues would have never won the cup without Barbashev and Sundqvist on the 4th line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->