Proposal: Rumors and Proposals Thread: Brassard? Risto? Bueller? Bueller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Seems like 80% of the league is in that situation. :laugh:

No doubt. We miraculously rid ourselves of Lucic and then bought out Sekera but the reality is that we still have Gagner and Manning making too much $ (both are UFA's at year's end) and then Kris Russell is the last guy that we likely move out when prospects start showing NHL readiness on D. This season IIRC we have about $4 million of dead cap just from buyouts alone :banghead:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
No doubt. We miraculously rid ourselves of Lucic and then bought out Sekera but the reality is that we still have Gagner and Manning making too much $ (both are UFA's at year's end) and then Kris Russell is the last guy that we likely move out when prospects start showing NHL readiness on D. This season IIRC we have about $4 million of dead cap just from buyouts alone :banghead:

Out of curiosity, what's the long term outlook of the Oilers' defense? Not that all players will become what they're projected to be or won't be some part of a trade.

dem

Mar 17, 2002

Just wait till we buyout Neal next year and are on the hook for 1.9 for 6 years...
And 750k for Lucic...

At least that 300k Gryba buyout comes off the books next year!

Reactions: Aerchon

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
I don't think you understand the term "depth"

Because fourth line C's are so hard to find and even a below average C can be made up for by plying McD and Drai a few minutes more. McLeod alone can fill one of those spots soon.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Because fourth line C's are so hard to find and even a below average C can be made up for by plying McD and Drai a few minutes more. McLeod alone can fill one of those spots soon.
again, you have two centres and a big question mark for the 4th line. This team without RNH has no depth down the middle

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Out of curiosity, what's the long term outlook of the Oilers' defense? Not that all players will become what they're projected to be or won't be some part of a trade.

At the end of this upcoming season the Oil will have 4 prospect defencemen lose their waiver exemptions: Jones, Bear, Lagesson, and Persson.

All 4 have shown well: Persson being one of the higher scoring defencemen in the SHL (both with and without Elias Pettersson on his team); and Jones, Bear, and Lagesson were the key anchors of a defence that helped Bakersfield be one of the top teams in the AHL.

Toss in Brouchard, and you can see why it's a crowded group; and I haven't even mentioned Broberg or Samorukov.

Basically they have 4 names knocking at the door (even if none of them have elite upside), to complement 3 really good/blue-chip prospects.

Mix in the fact Nurse is still pretty young, Klefbom and Larsson are in the early parts of their primes, plus there's Benning too, and the Oil's defence is pretty packed.

It's the reason why Edmonton dealt Marino to Pittsburgh a week or two back; for the next 2 seasons, there isn't a lot of space on the blueline for the Oil at the NHL or AHL level.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If Holland is trading RNH to get "winger help" I think he's probably largely failed as a GM here.

That is something Chiarelli would do ... create a mess, and then gut one area of strength for another area out of desperation.

I don't think Holland will do that. He's already started to slowly upgrade the winger depth as is by adding Neal, Granlund, and Archibald in for Lucic, Reider, Rattie out.

They will have cap flexibility next summer to take on a big money contract. They could go after a Kreider or Hoffman this season in-season. They still could add a Brassard or Maroon as well this summer too.

There's lots of options there without doing something stupid.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
At the end of this upcoming season the Oil will have 4 prospect defencemen lose their waiver exemptions: Jones, Bear, Lagesson, and Persson.

All 4 have shown well: Persson being one of the higher scoring defencemen in the SHL (both with and without Elias Pettersson on his team); and Jones, Bear, and Lagesson were the key anchors of a defence that helped Bakersfield be one of the top teams in the AHL.

Toss in Brouchard, and you can see why it's a crowded group; and I haven't even mentioned Broberg or Samorukov.

Basically they have 4 names knocking at the door (even if none of them have elite upside), to complement 3 really good/blue-chip prospects.

Mix in the fact Nurse is still pretty young, Klefbom and Larsson are in the early parts of their primes, plus there's Benning too, and the Oil's defence is pretty packed.

It's the reason why Edmonton dealt Marino to Pittsburgh a week or two back; for the next 2 seasons, there isn't a lot of space on the blueline for the Oil at the NHL or AHL level.

Great problems to have. Our defence will look exceptionally strong in 2-4 years

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
If Holland is trading RNH to get "winger help" I think he's probably largely failed as a GM here.

That is something Chiarelli would do ... create a mess, and then gut one area of strength for another area out of desperation.

I don't think Holland will do that. He's already started to slowly upgrade the winger depth as is by adding Neal, Granlund, and Archibald in for Lucic, Reider, Rattie out.

They will have cap flexibility next summer to take on a big money contract. They could go after a Kreider or Hoffman this season in-season. They still could add a Brassard or Maroon as well this summer too.

There's lots of options there without doing something stupid.

He's done with the roster except for Puljujarvi. As per him

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's done with the roster except for Puljujarvi. As per him

We'll see. If Maroon is able to be had for like $1.5 million dollars or Brassard for $2 mill ... it'd be kinda stupid not to take the chance.

We need every 10+ goal scorer (likely to be ) that we can get.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
We'll see. If Maroon is able to be had for like $1.5 million dollars or Brassard for $2 mill ... it'd be kinda stupid not to take the chance.

We need every 10+ goal scorer (likely to be ) that we can get.
Still blows my mind that Brassard is looking for 4 mill +.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Still blows my mind that Brassard is looking for 4 mill +.

I think realistically it's dawning on him and his agent that 4 mill is not gonna happen at this point, lol.

Oilers would be a good fit for him, we're one team where he could actually probably see a fair amount of top 6 and 2nd unit PP time with RNH, but it also gives Tippett some center depth for the 3rd line.

HumbleEgomaniac

Apr 23, 2015
Just wait till we buyout Neal next year and are on the hook for 1.9 for 6 years...
And 750k for Lucic...

At least that 300k Gryba buyout comes off the books next year!

Neal can be traded. I don't believe a buyout would be the first option if Neal doesn't work out.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Why does it do them no favors? Is it better to toss them into the fire, like we have done with every other defense prospect in the last 6-7 years and watch them fail miserably in their first/second seasons?

Give Persson some PP time and have it so he doesn’t have to be used to kill penalties. Also gives Jones a chance to be eased into the lineup.

Or we could not do that and have another winger that provides absolutely nothing of value to the team dress as the 12th forward like we did for 99% of games last year.

The guy has played 2 seasons in the AHL + 17 NHL games last season....he's 22 now....how much more easing into the linuep do you need? Guy isn't going to be waiver exempt forever.

Reactions: Homesick

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The guy has played 2 seasons in the AHL + 17 NHL games last season....he's 22 now....how much more easing into the linuep do you need? Guy isn't going to be waiver exempt forever.

He's also being slotted in as the #6 AND has to beat out several other guys for that spot.

If Jones/Bear/Lagesson etc can't hack it at this point they almost certainly will never be able to.

Reverend

May 26, 2015
Or maybe JUST maybe they are all good friends and they wanna follow eachother ?

Yeah, but that’s just me. I like to think for a bit that maybe there’s a hint in there somewhere. That’s how I roll, sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad