Rule Change Ideas

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I did have sound on... If you’re a good skater you can adjust yourself when receiving a pass, and in those instances you shouldn’t have to lift your foot off the ice, if you can just drag it on the blue line.

In my opinion Forsberg doesn’t completely understand the rules if he is lifting his foot there, instead of keeping it on the blue.

But thanks to StoneHands for providing some examples.
I can promise you that every player in the NHL knows the rule considering it's been the same their entire lives. It's an extremely fast game and the pass was in his feet which caused him to life his foot slightly to try to accept the pass.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
I can promise you that every player in the NHL knows the rule considering it's been the same their entire lives. It's an extremely fast game and the pass was in his feet which caused him to life his foot slightly to try to accept the pass.

Obviously every play is different, but I’ve seen a lot of examples of players trying to keep their blade in the white, lifting their foot, and being off sides.

I’m not sure what the rule is, but they need to make it more clear.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I don't have to watch any videos you've posted because I've actually reffed at a high level for 40+ years.

You've convinced yourself that you're seeing something that isn't happening. They're not stretching to be "in the white", they're stretching to stay onside & they're not looking at their foot & are simply reaching back as far as they can to stay onside for as long as they can.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Than why are players always stretching to be in the white paint when you see these examples, like the Forsberg one I posted.

I’ve skated for a long time. I know where the blue line is. If I’m receiving a pass and trying to stay on sides I wouldn’t be lifting my skate, if I knew it was okay, as long as I made contact with the blue line. Watch the videos I posted and try to see where I’m coming from.
You say examples but you only have one and it's not even a play where he was dragging his feet, he just was accepting a pass in his feet. He wasn't trying to hold the line, he was clearly onside until his foot lifted up. There are tons of examples on YouTube of players dragging their feet ON the blue line and the play being reviewed and called onside. Just because you showed a video of a guy with his feet in the white during an onside play doesn't mean they have to be in the white, it's just what they did for that example.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Obviously every play is different, but I’ve seen a lot of examples of players trying to keep their blade in the white, lifting their foot, and being off sides.

I’m not sure what the rule is, but they need to make it more clear.
You're literally the only person here who doesn't think the rule is clear. If you can provide a single example of a play called offside after review because a players foot was touching the blue line and not the white of the neutral zone then I'll agree but until then, you're the only person here thats confused.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
If you were referring to what the other poster tried to clarify, I don't see a problem with penalties taken at the end of periods creating a faceoff in the offense zone during the start of a period. For penalties that carry over, which is what I thought you were referring to, absolutely not.
I'm saying either penalty scenario, the PP team starts the period with a faceoff in the offensive zone.

As for someone commenting how it would be weird for the casual fan. Who cares. It's weird that you remove players from the ice for OT. No other sport does that.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Get rid of the ice and make it ball hockey. Would really expand the game in the South.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Points awarded should be the same in every game, not like now or your suggestion. the 3-2-1-0 (3-0) or (2-1) system is the best and has been suggested a million times. The NHL just wants to promote artificial parity at the expense of integrity.

I don’t like the current system or the 3-2-1 system. It encourages safe play (playing for OT).

In a 2-2 game with 5 minutes to go, I want to see teams going for it. Time’s ticking, if you get to that SO you walk away with fewer points.

I see no value in handing out the “same number of points in a game”.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
That's a safety issue, and will never be made legal. You don't want a scrum in the crease with bodies falling all over the place and players kicking their blades indiscriminately.

There’s an easy solution.

If your skate blade stays on the ice, it’s legal.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
You're literally the only person here who doesn't think the rule is clear. If you can provide a single example of a play called offside after review because a players foot was touching the blue line and not the white of the neutral zone then I'll agree but until then, you're the only person here thats confused.

fghjiMb.gif

offside_call.0.gif

avs-overtime-offside.gif

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
There’s an easy solution.

If your skate blade stays on the ice, it’s legal.

So the goalie is taken out, a D lays out to block a shot, it goes off his chest and lands right by his head. The other D-man has his man tied up, and the tied up guy gets to kick at the puck as long as his blade is on the ice?

As I said - Not.Going.To.Happen.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Sure. If they're a danger to other players they don't belong in the league. They can rot in a second rate league as punishment.
That will motivate the league to overlook finger-slashing brutality by their star players like Crosby.

No wait, that's what they do already!

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

What is this? Do we even know if any of these were called offside? The last one you can clearly see the ref waving it off saying it's onside. The Panthers one is basically the exact rule I've been describing and the Tampa one it's unclear whether his foot is on the ice or not. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Not even sure what you're trying to convey.

1st gif: terrible angle but what was the call on the ice? If his foot was actually on the ice when the puck fully crossed the blueline then he was onside. Looks like his foot is on the blue though so it's onside which goes totally against what you're trying to say is happening.

2nd gif: He's offside. Not sure why you're using this as an example of what you think is happening. If the rule was the way you've presented it he is offside by a looooooooong, loooooooong way but I'm guessing they needed a review to get this one right because his skate is inches from being onside.

3rd gif: You couldn't find a gif filmed from space? At least tell us what the call was.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
Not even sure what you're trying to convey.

1st gif: terrible angle but what was the call on the ice? If his foot was actually on the ice when the puck fully crossed the blueline then he was onside.

2nd gif: He's offside. Not sure why you're using this as an example of what you think is happening. If the rule was the way you've presented it he is offside by a looooooooong, loooooooong way but I'm guessing they needed a review to get this one right because his skate is inches from being onside.

3rd gif: You couldn't find a gif filmed from space? At least tell us what the call was.

What is this? Do we even know if any of these were called offside? The last one you can clearly see the ref waving it off saying it's onside. The Panthers one is basically the exact rule I've been describing and the Tampa one it's unclear whether his foot is on the ice or not. I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here.

First one is Stamkos being called off side against the Canadians in 2014.

Second is Huberdeau in 2016. Goal was called back cause he was offside, but I think it was debatable if he had control of the puck or not.

Third is this. "Puck Don't Lie" Featuring Nathan MacKinnon Scoring Twice In One Overtime

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
First one is Stamkos being called off side against the Canadians in 2014.

Second is Huberdeau in 2016. Goal was called back cause he was offside, but I think it was debatable if he had control of the puck or not.

Third is this. "Puck Don't Lie" Featuring Nathan MacKinnon Scoring Twice In One Overtime
Stamkos may have been called offside because his foot was not on the ice when he accepted the pass, not because his foot was on the blue line.

Huberdeau goal was called back because they determined his foot crossed the blue line before the puck, not because his foot was touching the blue line.

The MacKinnon article specifically mentions that the goal was called off because the players foot was not on the ice.

None of these examples are what you have been referring to.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
Stamkos may have been called offside because his foot was not on the ice when he accepted the pass, not because his foot was on the blue line.

Huberdeau goal was called back because they determined his foot crossed the blue line before the puck, not because his foot was touching the blue line.

The MacKinnon article specifically mentions that the goal was called off because the players foot was not on the ice.

None of these examples are what you have been referring to.

Why are the best skaters in the world lifting their feet off the ice when they have another foot or two to drag their blade?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Why are the best skaters in the world lifting their feet off the ice when they have another foot or two to drag their blade?
The Stamkos one his foot was on the blue line so no, he didn't have any extra space at all. The MacKinnon one the Avs player was tripped and couldn't get his foot back behind the line. The Huberdeau one his entire foot was on the blue line. If that was the rule this would have been a very easy offside call.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
A period shall not end with the puck in either one of the end zones until it crosses the blue line into the neutral zone, unless it goes for icing, in which case the period continues.

A team with a power play that will not expire before the end of the period may elect to extend the period for the duration of the power play (if the first or second period is extended this way, the extra time is taken out of the next period; if it's the third period or an overtime period, the game is simply extended).

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
The Stamkos one his foot was on the blue line so no, he didn't have any extra space at all. The MacKinnon one the Avs player was tripped and couldn't get his foot back behind the line. The Huberdeau one his entire foot was on the blue line. If that was the rule this would have been a very easy offside call.

Stamkos according to you foot on the blue is onside, but it was called off.

Did Huberdeau have control of the puck? You can’t go off side on yourself..

The Mac one. What part of your body needs to be touching the blue paint, if that is even the part you need to touch to be onside. Like you say.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
The start of a penalty kill is treated like an icing for the offending team. The line that committed the penalty has to stay out on the PK for the first face off. If the PK team wants to put out the PK players, they have to force a change just like on an icing.

Reactions: Roboturner913

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
If you are ice during an icing but on the bench when they drop the puck it is a delay of game

Kind of pissed me off last night when Pittsburgh iced the puck but still changed players. Took a good 2-3min to get everything right

Reactions: Name Nameless

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad