Rule Change Ideas

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
1. a player has to spent the entire 2 minutes in the penalty box

2. if a team scores a goal on a delay penalty, they should still have a powerplay why cancel the penalty.

3. get rid of the stupid trapezoid, let the goaltenders play the puck.

4. lets have the 3-2-1-0 point system.

"No" to each of your 4 ideas.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
3-2-1-0 Points system, although I'm not really hung up about it.
I like making embellishment/diving 1:00 penalties. Also, they need to be called correctly. Diving: Acting when there is no penalty. Embellishment: Overacting to draw a call even if there was a penalty.
Also, puck over glass should be a 1:00 penalty.
What actually is the rule on the trapezoid, anyway?
Offside has been well covered. If anything, the idea of (one defender behind the player negates the offside) is intriguing to me, although it would be very difficult to officiate.
No contact after the whistle sounds good, but it would lead to potential farces of face-offs. If you pull something I don't like, and I can't pop you one after the whistle, then I have to wait until the next puck drop, and I let you have it immediately then. I'm not sure I like that, either.

Since no one has answered the question yet, the goaltender is not permitted to play the puck behind the goal line and outside the trapezoid behind the net (the lines themselves do not count as part of the prohibited area so if the edge of the puck is on one of the red lines the puck is fair game). If he does so, he will be penalized with a minor penalty for delay of game.

Last Gleaming

Jul 21, 2013
A simple but overlooked one to create more space on the ice and possibly longer shifts: change the rule on too many men so that a player has to be over the boards completely before their replacement can come on. Right now, a leaving player within 5 feet of the bench can be replaced, and I think that really aids the short-shift, space-denying style of game.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
After a goal, you have only 10 seconds to decide if you want to challenge. I hate this bullshit when coaches delay the game so they can review the play before deciding if they will challenge or not. If you think the call is wrong, challenge it.

Boats Ahoes

Apr 28, 2011
  • 3-2-1 point system (as many others have said)
  • You should be allowed to kick the puck into the net for a goal. If you're allowed to do it in every context other than scoring, you should be allowed to score with it

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
I'd be down with calling icing on PK's, and one I really like is to go back (far back) to penalized players serving the full two minutes, regardless of goals scored.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
?? what? There are no ads in the trapezoids - the ads are in the corners of the non-trapezoid areas.

And the trapezoids work well. They do what they're supposed to do: limit the goalies legal playing range, which increases possible offensive chances

Not everyone wants to see games 6-5. And sorry for not being so specific for you. It's not like the trapezoid shaping highlights the ad or anything...

I have no issue with the goalie getting out of his net to play the puck. Brodeur is my favorite player of all time and I liked the way he kept things going by playing the puck.

blueinbigd

Mar 8, 2012
I would like to see them go to four quarters. Bad ice leads to bad hockey with three or four minutes left in a period.
Let the team that ices the puck change players. I am sick of seeing tired players who can barely do anything other than block a shot. Having a fourth line on the ice that extra time leads to bad hockey. I've been watching hockey for a long time and I don't believe this rule has led to fewer icings, in fact I would say it may have to led to more because I have seen tired players just ice the puck because that's about all they can do
I think if a team pulls their goalie for an extra attacker it should be treated as a power play for that team. Think about it 6 skaters against 5, Under the current rules the team that is ahead cannot ice the puck in what is basically a short handed situation for them

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Then you won't only have the discussion if it's a foul, but also about where exactly the foul happened.
Sometimes you can't even tell if a play is offsides. Try determine whether a foul is commited in the defensive zone or not with 2 players going full speed.

Yeah I think he means instead of the penalty being blown when the team gets control of the puck, it's only called once the team gets control of the puck out of the zone.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
A period shall not end with the puck in either one of the end zones until it crosses the blue line into the neutral zone, unless it goes for icing, in which case the period continues.

A team with a power play that will not expire before the end of the period may elect to extend the period for the duration of the power play (if the first or second period is extended this way, the extra time is taken out of the next period; if it's the third period or an overtime period, the game is simply extended).

Was going to post something like this. Reverting back the rules that the power play end when a goal is scored could also be considered.

It is a bit crazy that you can take a non penalty shot penalty with 1 second left without any possible consequence or that the consequence for taking a penalty with 30s left to the game is smaller than if there is 10 minute left....

Has for widening the blue line or removing anything offside wise, it can be a doubling cutting edge. The offensive team having to hold the zone is adding a lot of offense (better turnover chance when they happen but also the defensemen playing not higher is adding offense)

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
No trapezoid.

No shootouts.

OT becomes 4-on-4 for 10 minutes. 3-on-3 is not a real scenario.

Bring back ties.

Get rid of the all-star game.

Let war room call penalties. They're already deciding goals.

No more instigator.

Every franchise gets an outdoor game.

Top 16 team make the playoffs, regardless of conference/division.

Re-seed after each playoff round.

Unlimited coach's challenges, and if you're wrong, 2-minute penalty.

Media no longer allowed to vote on any awards. Only players and management.

Injure a player on a suspendable play? You're out as long as the guy you hurt, with no pay.

Powerplays last a full two minutes. Score as much as you'd like.

Luxury tax like the NBA.

The Komarov Rule: stop requiring visors

Goalies are fair game outside the crease.

Last edited:

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Since this will be buried....

After watching far too many OT games this season, what I'd like to see (since it's not even really hockey to begin with) is only for Regular Season 3-on-3 OT. Once you gain the blue line, the red line becomes the offside, BUT if you purposely play the puck back to the goalie, or skate back past the red line with the puck, you lose possession. No faceoff, the ref blows the whistle tosses the puck to the opposing team, blows the whistle and we keep going.

I know, it's extreme, I know there are a lot of people who will hate it, but it's the quickest way to keep OT moving, and it stops with teams dicking around with the puck for 2 full minutes without a shot.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
An unfinished penalty taken in overtime where the game is heading to a shootout should result in an extra attempt for the opposing side. It's not fair you can take a penalty with 7 seconds left in overtime and really pay no price if you win the draw.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Then you won't only have the discussion if it's a foul, but also about where exactly the foul happened.
Sometimes you can't even tell if a play is offsides. Try determine whether a foul is commited in the defensive zone or not with 2 players going full speed.

Can broaden it and just say that if the attacking team manages to gain the offensive zone during a delayed penalty, the puck has to be cleared for a whistle to happen.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Fix the leg pads on the goalies. They should be contoured so it fits the outline of the leg. Get these guys off their knees a little bit. EVERYTHING attributed to goalie gear should fit the contour of a normal human being.

NeelyWasAWarrior

Don't Poke The Bear
Dec 23, 2006
Boston Garden
Since this will be buried....

After watching far too many OT games this season, what I'd like to see (since it's not even really hockey to begin with) is only for Regular Season 3-on-3 OT. Once you gain the blue line, the red line becomes the offside, BUT if you purposely play the puck back to the goalie, or skate back past the red line with the puck, you lose possession. No faceoff, the ref blows the whistle tosses the puck to the opposing team, blows the whistle and we keep going.

I know, it's extreme, I know there are a lot of people who will hate it, but it's the quickest way to keep OT moving, and it stops with teams dicking around with the puck for 2 full minutes without a shot.

I prefer a strait up possession clock that resets after each shot on goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->