Rule Change Ideas

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Nope. Just nope.

I wouldn't mind seeing icing called during PKs.

That was suggested here before and most people shot it down. The idea has kind of grown on me over time though. My only issue with it is it puts SO much power in the hands of the referees, because you'd have to think the top PPs would be clicking at 30% or better.

Reactions: egelband

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
1) Let teams carry the puck in offside.
It would incentivize more creative offense, without opening the game to cherrypicking...which is the usual counter-point to doing anything to the offside rule.

2) 3-2-1-0 point system.
If you're not gunna have ties, then a regulation win should be worth more than an OT/SO win, than an OT/SO loss, than a regulation loss...especially now that OT is 3-3; which was a good change.

A 3-2-1-0 pt system has the added benefit of incentivizing teams to win in regulation...which is a good thing because the best way to win in regulation is to score more goals & avoid finding yourself in as many 1-goal games.

Last edited:
Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

The Garden

Oct 6, 2018
Instead of stopping the game when a goalie freezes a puck, continue the game and make the other team leave the zone fully before they are allowed to play the puck again in that zone, or it's offsides.

This would be tougher to implement on icing. Maybe have a similar idea (the icing team has to all be in their zone before they are allowed to play the puck on the other team's side of the red line), but only if the icing team is losing or if the game is tied. Otherwise just call it icing.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
3 points for a win
1 point for a shootout win
0 points for a loss of any kind
Points awarded should be the same in every game, not like now or your suggestion. the 3-2-1-0 (3-0) or (2-1) system is the best and has been suggested a million times. The NHL just wants to promote artificial parity at the expense of integrity.

Reactions: Blueston and Soble

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
If you take a penalty in the defensive zone, the whistle shouldn't blow until you manage to clear the puck.

Then you won't only have the discussion if it's a foul, but also about where exactly the foul happened.
Sometimes you can't even tell if a play is offsides. Try determine whether a foul is commited in the defensive zone or not with 2 players going full speed.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Have always wanted to see a crowdsourced list of rule change ideas. Here's a start:

-no offsides called on trailing team when goalie is pulled

So, we change the offside rule during the game, based on the score and conditions? Yeah, that's a no from me. How about we just have the officials call the rules the way they are written, every time.

djeck42

Jan 26, 2011
I admit this is a pretty dumb idea; but I say a player shouldnt be able to hand off his stick to a teammate that breaks their stick. So if a defensemen breaks their stick in their zone, he is the one stuck, which can create some scoring strategies.

Or icing is waved off if its the goalie shooting or passing the puck down the ice. To me, goalies used to do the stretch pass more in the past, and its a way to try and get that to happen more. Thats a dumb idea as well, but trying to think outside the box here at 5 in the morning

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I’d take the refs off the ice. Leave the linesmen on the ice of course but refs in static spots above the ice. The ice is too small and the game too fast now. The refs are in the way. And static positions should improve consistency.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
1) Let teams carry the puck in offside.
It would incentivize more creative offense, without opening the game to cherrypicking...which is the usual counter-point to doing anything to the offside rule.

2) 3-2-1-0 point system.
If you're not gunna have ties, then a regulation win should be worth more than an OT/SO win, than an OT/SO loss, than a regulation loss...especially now that OT is 3-3; which was a good change.

A 3-2-1-0 pt system has the added benefit of incentivizing teams to win in regulation...which is a good thing because the best way to win in regulation is to score more goals & avoid finding yourself in as many 1-goal games.

I'm a supporter of 3-2-1-0.

I don't like the idea that some games are worth more points than others, which is what we have right now. I think it would be more fair to have all games worth 3 points, and the teams play to see how those points are divided. The loser point creates parity, sure, but that parity feels very artificial a lot of the time.

Reactions: Blueston

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I admit this is a pretty dumb idea; but I say a player shouldnt be able to hand off his stick to a teammate that breaks their stick. So if a defensemen breaks their stick in their zone, he is the one stuck, which can create some scoring strategies.

Or icing is waved off if its the goalie shooting or passing the puck down the ice. To me, goalies used to do the stretch pass more in the past, and its a way to try and get that to happen more. Thats a dumb idea as well, but trying to think outside the box here at 5 in the morning

Goalies being fearful of a icing is not the reason for no stretch passes any more. Its A) the trapezoid keeps the goalies from getting to the pucks quicker. B) players getting in on the goalies quicker so they have less time to set up there shots/passes.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Penalty for delayed of game for players who try to cheat the icing by going to the bench!

The 3 points system almost seem to obvious now too...

Last edited:

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
Players should be allowed to kick or redirect the puck into the net so long as it's outside the crease

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I'd like lineups expanded to add space for an extra defence pair and a 13th forward.

Larger ice surface.

Both rules would lead to a more fast paced game with less hitting and board battles, IMO.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Call Icing on the PK. If I had to guess, I think it's going to happen pretty soon. USA hockey is already doing it and considering the NHL does everything possible to increase scoring, I can see them following down that path.

Reactions: Mbraunm

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Instead of stopping the game when a goalie freezes a puck, continue the game and make the other team leave the zone fully before they are allowed to play the puck again in that zone, or it's offsides.

This would be tougher to implement on icing. Maybe have a similar idea (the icing team has to all be in their zone before they are allowed to play the puck on the other team's side of the red line), but only if the icing team is losing or if the game is tied. Otherwise just call it icing.

I think that would just cherry pick where shots are taken, eliminating some goals from being scored. If you lose zone time, you probably wouldn't just toss it on net (where sometimes anything can happen). And if you're on the PP, you're giving the other team an opportunity to waste time and hold the puck until you enter back in the zone before they clear or make a play.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'd like lineups expanded to add space for an extra defence pair and a 13th forward.

Larger ice surface.

Both rules would lead to a more fast paced game with less hitting and board battles, IMO.
tenor.gif

Reactions: MIAtoBKLYN

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->