Rule Change Ideas

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2012
And force your star players to the KHL? A lot of all-time greats got suspensions sometimes for whatever reasons.
Sure. If they're a danger to other players they don't belong in the league. They can rot in a second rate league as punishment.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Watch the video at 50 sec and a few seconds beyond. “You always have to have contact with the neutral zone side of the blue line.”

The blue is apart of the neutral zone side. When crossing the very top of the blue line, where you are now on white ice, you exit the neutral zone and enter the offensive zone. As it stands in the NHL today, your skate can be in blue.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Off-Sides

Ya I just looked up the USA hockey rule, and it is worded slightly differently. Either way, I think the rule is called a certain way in the NHL, and it should be changed l.
But it's not called the way you describe it. We used to see off-side reviewed all the time and it was always if the players foot completely crossed the blue line, not if the players foot just touches the blue line.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
The blue is apart of the neutral zone side. When crossing the very top of the blue line, where you are now on white ice, you exit the neutral zone and enter the offensive zone. As it stands in the NHL today, your skate can be in blue.

I understand what you’re saying, but I disagree that that is how it is called.

Watching the video I posted makes me think they want it called a certain way. If they want the players to be able to touch the blue than they should make it more obvious. Why show him straddling the blue line and touching the white, when he could get closer to the net, and only have one skate on the blue.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Add something like an uncontested face-off for minor infractions, icing, puck over glass, etc.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I understand what you’re saying, but I disagree that that is how it is called.

Watching the video I posted makes me think they want it called a certain way. If they want the players to be able to touch the blue than they should make it more obvious. Why show him straddling the blue line and touching the white, when he could get closer to the net, and only have one skate on the blue.

That is how it's called. We just need to find some examples of challenges to prove it. as long as part of your skate is touching the blue as the puck clears the blue line, it's onside.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I said for 20 years that they should eliminate the 2-line offside pass before they did it.

I also think they should totally eliminate the red line & make it your own blue line for icings.

barilko05

NHL FAN
Jan 28, 2011
Saw this the other night and kinda pissed me off. Delaying on an icing to give your players time to recover.
How about...a countdown clock on icings? 30 secs. If you're not ready for the next faceoff, 2 min delay of game.
Whatever happened to the "hurry up" faceoff rule, anyway?

Also...as far as the "in the crease" rule...Two feet in the crease, regardless of whether you're touching the goalie or not...no goal.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
That is how it's called. We just need to find some examples of challenges to prove it. as long as part of your skate is touching the blue as the puck clears the blue line, it's onside.
But it's not called the way you describe it. We used to see off-side reviewed all the time and it was always if the players foot completely crossed the blue line, not if the players foot just touches the blue line.

It is called the way I describe it. Why is Forsberg trying to stretch his toe for the white paint in this play, when he could have just put his skate on the blue paint.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
Your opinion is wrong.

giphy.gif

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I've always liked the idea of a hybrid-offside. The offside line is either the blue-line or the defender who is furthest back, whichever is currently closer to the goalie.

So many plays die because one player is a few inches too close or is going just a bit too fast. This isn't the purpose of offside calls, it's to prevent cherry-picking. My suggestion still prevents that, but also allows players to get more creative and have more space when they're breaking into the zone.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
It is called the way I describe it. Why is Forsberg trying to stretch his toe for the white paint in this play, when he could have just put his skate on the blue paint.

He's not trying to hold the white, he's just trying to keep his foot on the ground while leaning and because his skate came off the ice, it's offside.

Watch this review, it was called a good goal because they could not conclusively say that Seabrook's foot was not touching the blue line. If his foot has to be in the white behind the blue line, this is an easy offside call.

Here's another one that stood because they could not clearly determine that Zetterbergs foot completely crossed the blue line. If it had to be behind the blue line it's an easy call.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
He's not trying to hold the white, he's just trying to keep his foot on the ground while leaning and because his skate came off the ice, it's offside.

Watch this review, it was called a good goal because they could not conclusively say that Seabrook's foot was not touching the blue line. If his foot has to be in the white behind the blue line, this is an easy offside call.

Well if he’s allowed to have a skate on the blue paint, than he shouldn’t have to lean.

Edit: I see what your saying. The ruling is too ambiguous

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Well if he’s allowed to have a skate on the blue paint, than he shouldn’t have to lean.

Edit: I see what your saying. The ruling is too ambiguous
He might not have even known exactly where his foot was, he just knew he had to reach for the puck while keeping a foot down.

Here's another one that stood because they could not clearly determine that Zetterbergs foot completely crossed the blue line. If it had to be behind the blue line it's an easy call.

The rule really isn't ambiguous at all, it's called this way 100% of the time.

Reactions: RalphyDanger

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

Did you have sound on for this? Your skate can't be in the air. Which should 100% completely be changed in my opinion.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
You could just get seats for the other end of the rink it's not a big deal at all
That sounds like a pretty big deal for a lot of season ticket holders. Considering the other side is already held by others. I'm not saying the idea wouldn't work, but a lot of season ticket holders would be very pissed.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
He might not have even known exactly where his foot was, he just knew he had to reach for the puck while keeping a foot down.

Did you have sound on for this? Your skate can't be in the air. Which should 100% completely be changed in my opinion.

I did have sound on... If you’re a good skater you can adjust yourself when receiving a pass, and in those instances you shouldn’t have to lift your foot off the ice, if you can just drag it on the blue line.

In my opinion Forsberg doesn’t completely understand the rules if he is lifting his foot there, instead of keeping it on the blue.

But thanks to StoneHands for providing some examples.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
I reffed for 40 years & you're not even disagreeing on something because it's not opinion. You're interpreting something that's just not there.

When entering the offensive zone the neutral zone extends all the way to the leading edge of the blueline meaning the edge closest to the goalie. To stay onside your skate must be in contact with any part of the neutral zone which includes the entirity of the blueline since the neutral zone extends all the way to the leading edge of the blueline as explained earlier. It has always been called this way at every level of hockey ever.

When already in the offensive zone it extends all the way to the outer edge(center ice side) of the blueline so the puck must cross the entirity of the line to be considered "cleared" of the offensive zone.

This all being said, I agree with your premise to make the bluelines wider, 3 feet IMO, because that would extend the size of the offensive zone thus increasing offense.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
I reffed for 40 years & you're not even disagreeing on something because it's not opinion. You're interpreting something that's just not there.

When entering the offensive zone the neutral zone extends all the way to the leading edge of the blueline meaning the edge closest to the goalie. To stay onside your skate must be in contact with any part of the neutral zone which includes the entirity of the blueline since the neutral zone extends all the way to the leading edge of the blueline as explained earlier. It has always been called this way at every level of hockey ever.

When already in the offensive zone it extends all the way to the outer edge(center ice side) of the blueline so the puck must cross the entirity of the line to be considered "cleared" of the offensive zone.

This all being said, I agree with your premise to make the bluelines wider, 3 feet IMO, because that would extend the size of the offensive zone thus increasing offense.

Than why are players always stretching to be in the white paint when you see these examples, like the Forsberg one I posted.

I’ve skated for a long time. I know where the blue line is. If I’m receiving a pass and trying to stay on sides I wouldn’t be lifting my skate, if I knew it was okay, as long as I made contact with the blue line. Watch the videos I posted and try to see where I’m coming from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad