Rule Change Ideas

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
3 points regulation/OT win
2 points for SO win
1 point for SO loss
0 points for regulation/OT loss

The shootout isn't ideal and needs to be retooled with points, but it's a necessary evil. I don't think many people remember (or were even alive to remember) just how bad ties were.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
If you're suspended 3 times in your career the third time is a permanent ban.

But you can't change personnel, so that PK unit would get pretty tired....

Actually, I dont think that's a good rule.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Ya but their is a difference between enetering the zone, and holding the zone I think.

When enetering the zone the players with out the puck need to have at least one skate in the white in the neutral zone. Once the puck is in the zone and on side, the D have to get it back into the white of the neutral zone, for anyone to be off side again.
Notice the use of the term "leading edge" instead of just the neutral zone edge or attacking zone edge. This is because the leading or far edge of the blue line is always the determining edge. The Blue line is part of the offensive zone when the puck is int he offensive zone and it's part of the neutral zone when the puck is in the neutral zone.

Rule 83 –Off-side 83.1
Off-side
- Players of the attacking team must not precede the puck into the attacking zone.
The position of the player’s skates and not that of his stick shall be the determining factor in all instances in deciding an off-side. A player is off-side when both skates are completely over the leading edge of the blue line involved in the play.
A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line, at the instant the puck completely crosses the leading edge of the blue line regardless of the position of his stick. However, a player actually controlling the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the puck shall not be considered “off-side,” provided he had possession and control of the puck prior to his skates crossing the blue line.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
I always liked the idea that for an offside to be relevant... all defensive skaters need to be outside the zone.

ie: if any defensive skater is in the defensive zone... there is no offsides... ever. Normal offside rules for if there is zero defensive skaters in the zone.

I think this could make the trap a lot more difficult to implement successfully.

Would also decrease the number of stoppages that are purely technical and just kill game flow.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Notice the use of the term "leading edge" instead of just the neutral zone edge or attacking zone edge. This is because the leading or far edge of the blue line is always the determining edge. The Blue line is part of the offensive zone when the puck is int he offensive zone and it's part of the neutral zone when the puck is in the neutral zone.

I take that to mean....
When the puck entering the offensive zone is over blue or OZone ice, all attacking players (except the puck carrier) must have at least one skate touching blue or neutral ice.

For clears, the rule is:
The puck is considered to leave the OZone when all of the puck is over neutral ice. Correct?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Lmao why get new rules when we don't know the old ones already. But anyways if your skate is touching the blue ice when going into the zone you're good.

I wouldn't mind the rule being in the air instead of having to be touching the ice but that makes it way harder to judge and we would have ten minute reviews and debates about parralax views constantly

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Players should be allowed to redirect the puck using their skate so long as it takes place outside of the crease
They are already allowed to do that, you just aren't allowed to use a kicking motion. The skate has to be stationary when the puck hits the skate.

Are you saying that players should be allowed to kick the puck into the net? lol

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
If you're skating into the zone, the top of the line enters the new zone. If you're skating back to your own zone, or if the puck comes out, the bottom of your line exits that zone. However, when exiting the zone, you're skate makes no difference.

I’m not sure which you’re referring to as the top and bottom of the blue line, but if you watch the video I posted you can see where he says the puck needs to cross the goal line side of the blue line, but the players skate needs to remain on the neutral zone side until the puck enters.

That’s why I said originally they should allow the players to have a skate on the blue.

I agree that’s why I said let them have their skate on the blue when entering the zone. Making the line wider will just give them more space.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
They're not penalized. If you're in the first period, 5 on 5, and you take a shot that is frozen by the goalie or have zone pressure, you don't start the next period in their zone. Why should the PP be any different? If you clear the puck on the PP and the period ends, why should the PP get a faceoff in your own end?
You just kinda made my point. The intent of a penalty is to penalize the team who has the penalty and provide an advantage to the PP team. This could create a bit more scoring as you don't waste 10-15 seconds winning a draw at centre ice and trying to gain the offensive zone.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I agree that’s why I said let them have their skate on the blue when entering the zone. Making the line wider will just give them more space.
I'm not sure if there's a disconnect because typing this out makes it confusing but that is the rule unless you're referring to something else. If a the puck crosses completely over the blue line, everyone (except the puck carrier in some instances) on the attacking team has to have at least one skate touching the blue line for it to be on-side. The skate does not have to be in the white because the blue line is part of the neutral zone when entering the zone.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
I take that to mean....
When the puck entering the offensive zone is over blue or OZone ice, all attacking players (except the puck carrier) must have at least one skate touching blue or neutral ice.

For clears, the rule is:
The puck is considered to leave the OZone when all of the puck is over neutral ice. Correct?
Correct so the puck needs to completely cross the blue line to be considered in the offensive zone and a a player can drag his foot ON the blue line when entering the zone, it doesn't have to be in the white ice of the neutral zone.

It's essentially the complete opposite of NFL rules where as soon as the ball touches the goal line, its a touchdown. Or when the tip of the ball is past the 1st down marker, it's a first down.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
You just kinda made my point. The intent of a penalty is to penalize the team who has the penalty and provide an advantage to the PP team. This could create a bit more scoring as you don't waste 10-15 seconds winning a draw at centre ice and trying to gain the offensive zone.
I see your point but how much would it really impact scoring, if at all? How often do penalties start at the beginning of a period? Every few games maybe? So once a week you get an offensive zone faceoff to start the game? I don't think it would make much of an impact and it would probably confuse the hell out of casual fans.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
If you were referring to what the other poster tried to clarify, I don't see a problem with penalties taken at the end of periods creating a faceoff in the offense zone during the start of a period. For penalties that carry over, which is what I thought you were referring to, absolutely not.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
They are already allowed to do that, you just aren't allowed to use a kicking motion. The skate has to be stationary when the puck hits the skate.

Are you saying that players should be allowed to kick the puck into the net? lol
The skate doesn't necessarily have to be stationary. They allow goals even when a player is in the act of turning his skate to redirect the puck and they allow goals when a player is in a stopping motion and essentially pushes the puck into the net. As long as there is no kicking motion, it's a good goal.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
I'm not sure if there's a disconnect because typing this out makes it confusing but that is the rule unless you're referring to something else. If a the puck crosses completely over the blue line, everyone (except the puck carrier in some instances) on the attacking team has to have at least one skate touching the blue line for it to be on-side. The skate does not have to be in the white because the blue line is part of the neutral zone when entering the zone.

My impression from the NHL video makes it seem like you need to be touching the white in the neutral zone, and that’s how I’ve always played the game.

I would never get mad at a ref for calling me off side if my skate was touching the blue paint, when my teammate carried the puck over the blue line. It has to be on the white when entering the zone, at least that’s how it’s always been called for me.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Only changes I'd make actually revert to old rules:

- get rid of the stupid goalie trapezoid.

- get rid of the shootout and play until subside wins (no loser point). Leave 3on3 for lifetime though.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
My impression from the NHL video makes it seem like you need to be touching the white in the neutral zone, and that’s how I’ve always played the game.

I would never get mad at a ref for calling me off side if my skate was touching the blue paint, when my teammate carried the puck over the blue line. It has to be on the white when entering the zone, at least that’s how it’s always been called for me.
Where you played might have called it differently, or made it easier to call for themselves without blowing offside whistles, but that's not the actual rule.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
Where you played might have called it differently, or made it easier to call for themselves without blowing offside whistles, but that's not the actual rule.

Watch the video at 50 sec and a few seconds beyond. “You always have to have contact with the neutral zone side of the blue line.”

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Widen the rinks by 5-6 feet. Would do this for a ton of reasons but mostly because players have so little time and space out there and are constantly running into each other or the refs. The average player has gotten bigger, faster, stronger, not sure why the playing surface can't get grow with them. There's a ton of young talent in the league, please give them just a bit more runway to show off their skill.

Widen the blue lines and soften the language of the offside rule. The spirit of the rule was to prevent cherry picking in the offensive zone, not to ensure you have your entire body other than a toe on opposite sides of an arbitrary line while your teammate flys into the zone 80 feet away. Many of these calls are pointless stoppages that ruin the flow of the game.

Get rid of the red line entirely and reserve icing for pucks cleared from the defensive zone. I don't really want to get rid of icing, but with the auto call it is now you watch so many passes made from the attacking team to the winger rushing miss their mark by a foot and go for icing. Again, this is not punishing teams by the spirit of the rule and creating superfluous stoppages for little reason.

Reactions: RalphyDanger

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

I've been a USA Hockey referee for 20 years and it's always been the way I described it. Obviously the NHL is different but the verbiage below from the NHL rule book is essentially the same as it's described in USA hockey. I'm quite positive a player can have his foot on the Blue line when the puck crosses into the offensive zone. Basically the way it's described is that the Blue line is part of the neutral zone when play is entering the offensive zone and it's part of the offensive zone when play is entering the neutral zone.

RalphyDanger

Nov 1, 2010
I've been a USA Hockey referee for 20 years and it's always been the way I described it. Obviously the NHL is different but the verbiage below from the NHL rule book is essentially the same as it's described in USA hockey. I'm quite positive a player can have his foot on the Blue line when the puck crosses into the offensive zone. Basically the way it's described is that the Blue line is part of the neutral zone when play is entering the offensive zone and it's part of the offensive zone when play is entering the neutral zone.

Off-Sides

Ya I just looked up the USA hockey rule, and it is worded slightly differently. Either way, I think the rule is called a certain way in the NHL, and it should be changed l.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad