Rule Change Ideas

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
Don't allow icing by the PK team. Would force them to carry it out of the zone and create more scoring on the PP.

If a team is on the PP at the start of a period, the opening faceoff is in the attack zone not at centre ice. As it is now, the PP team is penalized by the fact the period ends and they have to face off at centre.

Reactions: SlapshotTheMovie

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
Make the blue lines wider, and change the rule to allow players to have their skate on the blue paint, rather than having to stay on the white in the neutral zone before the puck gets in.

This would make rushes more fun to watch, and also give the D more space to hold the zone once they’ve gained it

Reactions: Bounces R Way

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Don't allow icing by the PK team. Would force them to carry it out of the zone and create more scoring on the PP.

If a team is on the PP at the start of a period, the opening faceoff is in the attack zone not at centre ice. As it is now, the PP team is penalized by the fact the period ends and they have to face off at centre.
They're not penalized. If you're in the first period, 5 on 5, and you take a shot that is frozen by the goalie or have zone pressure, you don't start the next period in their zone. Why should the PP be any different? If you clear the puck on the PP and the period ends, why should the PP get a faceoff in your own end?

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
2 points for a regulation win
1 point for an overtime/shootout win
0 points for a loss
I can get on board with this. Gives teams and incentive to go for it in regular time. OT and shootout are gimmicky so they shouldn't be of equal point value for that kind of a win. Oilers won last night but I still hate the 3 on 3 scrimmage OT format.

Reactions: generalshepherd141

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Make the blue lines wider, and change the rule to allow players to have their skate on the blue paint, rather than having to stay on the white in the neutral zone before the puck gets in.

This would make rushes more fun to watch, and also give the D more space to hold the zone once they’ve gained it
It can be wider, but they can already have their skate on the blue.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Players are allowed to have their skate on the blue line when entering the zone. The Blue line is considered part of whatever zone the puck is in so if the puck is in.

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
I can get on board with this. Gives teams and incentive to go for it in regular time. OT and shootout are gimmicky so they shouldn't be of equal point value for that kind of a win. Oilers won last night but I still hate the 3 on 3 scrimmage OT format.
Agree 100%, not sure what the league should do about OT and shootouts though. I think going back to ties after regulation is out of the question at this point, but maybe ties after a scoreless overtime period is a possibility? Whatever they do, they need to get rid of the shootout.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
They're not penalized. If you're in the first period, 5 on 5, and you take a shot that is frozen by the goalie or have zone pressure, you don't start the next period in their zone. Why should the PP be any different? If you clear the puck on the PP and the period ends, why should the PP get a faceoff in your own end?
He's saying if the PP starts at the beginning of a period, not just if it carries over to the next period. Every PP is supposed to start in the offensive zone but if someone takes a minor penalty after the buzzer and a fresh PP starts at the beginning of the following period, the faceoff is still at center ice.

I don't like this idea though because I just think it would be weird to see a faceoff in the offensive zone to start a period.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Players should be allowed to redirect the puck using their skate so long as it takes place outside of the crease

They are allowed to redirect the puck, inside the crease or not. They just can't kick it.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
I'm pretty sure the rule is "A player is on-side when either of his skates are in contact with, or on his own side of the line"

Ya but their is a difference between enetering the zone, and holding the zone I think.

When enetering the zone the players with out the puck need to have at least one skate in the white in the neutral zone. Once the puck is in the zone and on side, the D have to get it back into the white of the neutral zone, for anyone to be off side again.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Agree 100%, not sure what the league should do about OT and shootouts though. I think going back to ties after regulation is out of the question at this point, but maybe ties after a scoreless overtime period is a possibility? Whatever they do, they need to get rid of the shootout.

It wasn't ties after regulation, it was a tie after OT.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I know this would be incredibly difficult to implement, but I also like the idea of only allowing two forwards in their own defensive zone. Meaning one forward is obligated to cherry pick.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Ya but their is a difference between enetering the zone, and holding the zone I think.

When enetering the zone the players with out the puck need to have at least one skate in the white in the neutral zone. Once the puck is in the zone and on side, the D have to get it back into the white of the neutral zone, for anyone to be off side again.
If you're skating into the zone, the top of the line enters the new zone. If you're skating back to your own zone, or if the puck comes out, the bottom of your line exits that zone. However, when exiting the zone, you're skate makes no difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->