Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay officially inducted in the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I don't understand why Tampa would make a subsequent move. They are a half game back of the wild card, aren't they trying to get in? And Sogard can help them.
Probably move him for pitching? Not quite sure what their immediate needs are as no one watches the Rays. lol

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Wonder where Woods-Richardson reports... I believe the Mets promoted him to A+ just before the trade but he didnt make a start. Have to think he goes to Dunedin to finish the season and to start next year.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
So, is Bichette now the every day shortstop? Or will he play some second and DH a bit?

The Stroman stuff is disappointing, but it's nice to see the "first wave" of prospects now all at the big league level.

Reactions: Clark4Ever

Leafin

Apr 2, 2009
Without knowing what other offers were out there it still surprises me why we didn't wait until the last day to make this deal.

From majority of reports its an underwhelming return. SWR seems like a really good prospect that's quite a bit further away. Kay is looking like a bottom of the rotation piece.

I really would've liked 1 more piece in there but I guess Stromans value wasn't as high as some of us had hoped. Or maybe its Atkins that is weak in trade negotiations.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
USA Today writer Bob Nightengale seems to think it's a massive home run for the Mets to land Stroman for what they paid. I still don't know what to think.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
It's interesting to think about where the team goes in the next few years. One thing that crossed my mind this morning was: if everything comes together for the Jays, is it possible that SWR becomes the showpiece in a "prospects for established pitcher" kind of deal in the future? I think we all acknowledge that at some point in the future the Jays will have to deal prospect capital to add to the major league roster.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
It's interesting to think about where the team goes in the next few years. One thing that crossed my mind this morning was: if everything comes together for the Jays, is it possible that SWR becomes the showpiece in a "prospects for established pitcher" kind of deal in the future? I think we all acknowledge that at some point in the future the Jays will have to deal prospect capital to add to the major league roster.
I mean I think if anything this year is showing that if SWR continues to track as he is right now there is no chance he gets traded. Teams clearly are not parting with top 50 prospects near majors for help on the roster right now. That is the trend we could be seeing if anything.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I mean I think if anything this year is showing that if SWR continues to track as he is right now there is no chance he gets traded. Teams clearly are not parting with top 50 prospects near majors for help on the roster right now. That is the trend we could be seeing if anything.

That does appear to be the trend right now. The days of Gleyber Torres for Chapman appear to be over.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Rosenthal reporting that the Braves are interested in Biagini

It was funny. Like 3 hours after I asked whether the Jays would be interested in moving him, there were rumours of him potentially going.

I can see him being traded this year. He seems to be having a good year (or at least as good of a year as he's going to have in his career) so why not trade high on him? Maybe package him with Galvis or Giles for one higher end prospect and a lottery ticket.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Has this been answered yet? Why did the Mets do this? They are on the fringes of the playoff race, at best.

Apparently they are doing this weird semi-rebuild thing? IDK.

Maybe they felt the Stroman price was too good to pass up and they could easily just flip him in the offseason/next year for a similar price.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Rosenthal reporting that the Braves are interested in Biagini

Biagini is under club control for awhile. Would the Jays want to part with him (especially if guys like Giles, Hudson and Phelps will be on the move, I mean, you have to have somebody to play the games)?

One thing I'm really curious about is how far management goes with trading off current-year assets. Will they even dip into some of the guys they have some control over?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Anthony Kay is a spin rate guy, btw (and fwiw).

Edit: dammit Aub

I think we can safely assume that every guy this FO picks up is either a "spin rate guy" or an "exit velo guy".

the question is whether that's as important as they think it is.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Apparently they are doing this weird semi-rebuild thing? IDK.

Maybe they felt the Stroman price was too good to pass up and they could easily just flip him in the offseason/next year for a similar price.

Err - awkward answer but maybe they paid a price they couldn't refuse for a guy like Stroman.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Or maybe they are following the 2015 Jays blueprint?

The won loss record of the 15 Jays was underperforming the club's actual ability. The Jays corrected their situation with the addition of a front of a rotation starter in Price (two if you count the return of Stroman that year) and the addition of Tulo, which dramatically improved the in-field D.

Are the Mets in a similar situation?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Does anyone think Kay's BABIP and HR% from AAA is sustainable? If you squint you can see a solid bottom of the rotation starter there which has value.

no, but I also don't think his babip and hr% from AA are sustainable either.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The won loss record of the 15 Jays was underperforming the club's actual ability. The Jays corrected their situation with the addition of a front of a rotation starter in Price (two if you count the return of Stroman that year) and the addition of Tulo, which dramatically improved the in-field D.

Are the Mets in a similar situation?

Yes, you're right. I have no idea if the Mets are in a similar situation.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Rosenthal: With Stroman off the board, who’s next?;...
*One executive called the Blue Jays’ return of lefty Anthony Kay and righty Simeon Woods-Richardson for Stroman “incredibly light.” Another said, “It feels really odd to me that Toronto didn’t get a top-100 type at least and still did the deal with days to go.”

A third exec, however, had a different perspective, saying that no one should assume the Jays could have done better simply because teams such as the Braves, Yankees and Twins have better prospects. With buyers refusing to overpay, the Jays evidently felt the Mets’ offer was their best, and they did not want to lose it with the Mets active on so many other fronts.

*The Braves’ talks with the Blue Jays center around right-handed reliever Joe Biagini. All of the contenders, including the Red Sox, are in on Jays closer Ken Giles and many are pursuing Daniel Hudson as well.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Biagini is under club control for awhile. Would the Jays want to part with him (especially if guys like Giles, Hudson and Phelps will be on the move, I mean, you have to have somebody to play the games)?

One thing I'm really curious about is how far management goes with trading off current-year assets. Will they even dip into some of the guys they have some control over?

Because chances are that he doesn't get better than he is right now and if he has value in the form of prospects, you do it. Especially when bullpen guys are so volatile and he could easily fall off of a cliff next year and become worthless. If the Braves are willing to give up a decent prospect or two, or package him with Giles for one of their 2nd tier pitchers and maybe something extra, the Jays will not think twice. They have been accumulating a bunch of high minors pitchers through trades, and they have guys worth a look to see what they have. Maybe they even go out and acquire some reclamation pieces or salary dumps for more assets to fill some holes. Those guys are more likely to fit the Jays' window/needs long term than Biagini.

As many others with a lot more knowledge than me have said, anything that is not a young prospect with upside is available... Which essentially means only guys like Vlad Jr., Bichette, Jansen and Biggio are off limits. Of course there are a long list of others who likely won't get enough on the open market to warrant trading (Gurriel Jr., Hernandez, McKinney, Grichuk, Drury, Tellez, all of the mid-20's pitchers outside of Biagini, etc.), but if some team randomly decided to give the Jays a good offer for, say, Hernandez, he's gone.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS

Personally, I would gladly take a prospect over Biagini. I do agree that it would be nice to have a controllable arm in the bullpen when there is a good chance that multiple arms will be on the move.

But Biagini isn’t exactly young and with him being just above average, he can easily be replaced by cheap veteran additions late in the offseason who can hopefully be flipped for more assets. I’d much rather have a lottery ticket prospect than Biagini. But then again I’m not the biggest fan of his anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad