Blue Jays Discussion: Roy Halladay officially inducted in the 2019 Baseball Hall of Fame Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008

Lmao @ Stroman giving it to Shapiro and Atkins. Dudes a hero. :laugh:

tenor.gif

Reactions: Kurtz

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
either every ex-jay who's left recently is a complete A-hole, or our FO are a couple little ****s.

Edwin Encarnacion, David Price, JA Happ, RA Dickey, Mark Buehrle, Marco Estrada, Francisco Lirano, Drew Hutchison, Joe Smith, Aaron Loup, Brett Cecil, Jason Grilli, Kevin Pillar, Steve Pearce, Kendrys Morales etc. didnt seem to have problems with the FO.

Only guys that have said anything "negative" were guys who didnt get their contract ridiculous demands or were washed up in Tulo, Martin and now Stroman. I dont really think Martin really said anything bad. Donaldson just said "no comment" but we can read between the lines there. Bautista had his opinions on what he deserved after the 2015 playoffs but since then he was served some humble pie and didnt say anything bad after he left.

Unless im missing something i count 5 players who said something less than positive. I only take Stroman and Donaldson's word to heart because they are actually still good players. Bautista and Tulo arent in the league, they were just sour. But did you expect less from Stroman? And anyone would be upset if they were Donaldson - reports were he turned down a 3 year deal worth 25M+ per from the jays before 2018 season. He was looking for a scapegoat.

Reactions: landy92mack29

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Edwin Encarnacion, David Price, JA Happ, RA Dickey, Mark Buehrle, Marco Estrada, Francisco Lirano, Drew Hutchison, Joe Smith, Aaron Loup, Brett Cecil, Jason Grilli, Kevin Pillar, Steve Pearce, Kendrys Morales etc. didnt seem to have problems with the FO.

Only guys that have said anything "negative" were guys who didnt get their contract ridiculous demands or were washed up in Tulo, Martin and now Stroman. I dont really think Martin really said anything bad. Donaldson just said "no comment" but we can read between the lines there. Bautista had his opinions on what he deserved after the 2015 playoffs but since then he was served some humble pie and didnt say anything bad after he left.

Unless im missing something i count 5 players who said something less than positive. I only take Stroman and Donaldson's word to heart because they are actually still good players. Bautista and Tulo arent in the league, they were just sour.

I don't remember Martin saying anything bad about them.

And we can probably scratch Tulo off the list since, for all his bluster after the release and during the spring, the Jays were indisputably right about him.

Regardless, this whole "take a side and stand by them no matter what" thing is so goddamn tiring. Stroman said and did some dumb stuff. He's also awesome. Management didn't handle the situation particularly well in a lot of ways. They're also probably justified in a lot of their decisions. Fans are stupid.

Reactions: theaub

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

And we can probably scratch Tulo off the list since, for all his bluster after the release and during the spring, the Jays were indisputably right about him.

Regardless, this whole "take a side and stand by them no matter what" thing is so goddamn tiring. Stroman said and did some dumb stuff. He's also awesome. Management didn't handle the situation particularly well in a lot of ways. They're also probably justified in a lot of their decisions. Fans are stupid.

Former Blue Jay Russell Martin gives his take on team's handling of Vladimir Guerrero Jr.

Not much but you cant really take that as a positive.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

Martin is an interesting one. Nothing was said about him at the end of last year (publicly in the media I mean), then he was sent to LA and it came out that he was a real jerk about being benched the last month of the season in favour of the young players. I remember being taken aback at stories in the media about Martin playing Fortnite all the time and being a poor influence on the younger players.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

I was thinking the same as you. For every pissed off player that left, there was probably 3 or 4 with no issues. Buehrle, however, retired after the 2015 season. I don't think he ever intended to pitch again and probably had very little to do with the new front office after it took over from Beeston/AA.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
SWR was assigned to A+, not A, by the way.

Fun fact about him, relating to our discussion the other day on FV not necessarily reflecting the upside of young players:

THE BOARD! | FanGraphs Baseball

Fangraphs SWR as the highest rated 18-year-old pitcher in baseball and the only one given a 45+ FV. Given his performance this year, I feel like it should be at least a 50, but I get it given his age. He's the kind of pitcher who could really shoot up in a hurry (along with Pardinho and, to a lesser extent, Kloffenstein).

Reactions: thehockeysong

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada

I closed the article when I read this line: "what if the Blue Jays turn out to have a decent chance in 2019 but lose a playoff spot by one or two games?"

I know it was written in April, but I can't think of anybody (other than the rare eternal optimists) that believed the Jays had even a remote chance at the playoffs whether Vladdy was on the team from day one or not.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I was thinking the same as you. For every pissed off player that left, there was probably 3 or 4 with no issues. Buehrle, however, retired after the 2015 season. I don't think he ever intended to pitch again and probably had very little to do with the new front office after it took over from Beeston/AA.

Agreed but if he was sour he could have said "they didnt offer me a contract."

AA didnt officially work a day under Shapiro (AA's contract expired under Beeston and Shapiro took over a few days later) yet Shapirio gets the blame for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->