Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 199, David Bernhardt, D,DjurgÃ¥rdens IF, Sweden

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he's playing a regular shift for his SHL team, why are they playing him on the junior team?

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Could be a good player for us in the future.. Showed some skill in WJC. NHL size, this pick has potential.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
How's his skating? Has it improved? I thought that was the big knock on him.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
How's his skating? Has it improved? I thought that was the big knock on him.

His skating is ok... nothing special but not bad. It has got better as well.

It has for sure helped him in transition, it used to be an area he struggled in, but this year he is moving the puck up ice well and playing good neutral zone hockey as well. Which is nice as he has always played pretty well when set in the OZ and DZ.

I mean... I was expecting better numbers than him at this venture of the season. But he is actually playing better than I imagined he would if that makes sense.

Partially the lack of points is down to their PP2 sucking in general... and him being stuck behind two very proven, good, PP point-men in Hultstrom and Hogstrom.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Not 100% sure on the overall figures around the league yet...

but at this stage it would 'seem' like his CA/60 before tonight's game is around 36.88.

Which going off shot rates in the SHL is for sure 'elite' in terms of raw numbers.

Like I would estimate that it might even be the best for defensemen in the league with significant minutes played. Honestly. I am not sure it is mathematically possible for there to be more than ~5 defensemen below around ~38 CA/60.

Now, the context is that he generally plays vs bottom sixes from what I have seen of him this year... but still. That and the Corsi figures of 57.76% and +5.526 rel (which I am pretty sure on.) are pretty impressive irregardless though.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Got an assist and was +3 today in a 5-1 win.

Saw 17:09 TOI, 4th most on their D.

Also had 3 shots.

Finally starting to get rewarded on the score-sheet for the real improvements to his game so far this season.

For me he obviously must have known his weaknesses... because all the things that would be the areas that could prevent him from reaching a higher level are where he has got better.

Always been a strong DZ and OZ player when set-up... but his NZ play needed work. He has been great there this year.

And while not a 'bad' skater when drafted needed work, and his skating keeps getting better too.

Reactions: whitstifier

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So he's catching up to Hogberg?
Would seem as the older player that he'd be more likely to make the jump next year to NA hockey.
Has he expressed interest?

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So he's catching up to Hogberg?
Would seem as the older player that he'd be more likely to make the jump next year to NA hockey.
Has he expressed interest?

He is not as good a prospect IMO... simply as he does not have the skating plus defensive IQ.

But he is playing very well this season. His contract is up in summer, and he wants to come to NA at some point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
From the Flyers standpoint, they have 2? more years before they have to sign him to an ELC to keep his rights?
So this allows them to stash him while they see how their other young defensemen develop.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Nope, Weber or bust

Tbh, his defense needs some work, Tage Thompson just walked right by him

only-a-sith-deals-in-absolutes-gif-4.gif

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad