Prospect Info: Round 7, Pick 199, David Bernhardt, D,DjurgÃ¥rdens IF, Sweden

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
It is literally never a bad thing to take Swedes with mid-late round picks. Forwards or d men.

On a side note, Fazleev, Lonesome Dove-McFalls of the House of Usher, Twarynski, Bunnaman, Salintiri are the only CHL players Hexy has taken from round 3 on. Only 5/17 picks. It's smart. CHL is usually picked dry well before the other leagues in NA and abroad, where gems of players routinely go undervalued and are available deeper into drafts. Way more bang for your buck.

I'm with you. Generally, I much prefer going to Europe for rounds 4-7. Less scouting exposure = more likely to slip through the cracks.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
He scored the 1st goal in the game vs USA Blue, a shot from the point

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Kid seemed to have a lot of raw tools at development camp. Great size. Would flash good skating ability one minute, and then look like a young deer learning to grow into his size another minute. Not bad with the puck. Certainly looked like a decent gamble for a 7th round pick, from whatever you can glean from dev camp (which pales in comparison to competitive gameplay).

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
What one poster watching the game said about Bernhardt

"He's been okay. Nothing too special. The goal was a nice low shot through traffic on the PP"

About Tanner

He's been fairly solid. Had some good plays. Earned some praise from the broadcasters.

Last edited:

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Supposedly he's playing more than Movearve or whatever his name is

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hold on... you mean to tell me that a 7th round pick isn't a finished product just months after being drafted...?

That's nuts.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
I don't think he likes playing defense too much, but the few times I've seen him I've been impressed with how he handles the puck. Soft hands. Calm and shows and shows poise. Head up. Really quick wrists as the goal from yesterday shows. I think if he makes the team it'll be as a 6th/7th defenseman who plays on the PP. Maybe he can be their Forsling.

Needs to get stronger and work on his skating. Not unusual for a taller defenseman that he seems to have some balance issues when changing directions. He has a lot of work to do to be an NHL player and he's likely years away, but tall defensemen that show offensive skill and instincts are rare commodities. I don't know why he lasted until the 7th round.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't think he likes playing defense too much, but the few times I've seen him I've been impressed with how he handles the puck. Soft hands. Calm and shows and shows poise. Head up. Really quick wrists as the goal from yesterday shows. I think if he makes the team it'll be as a 6th/7th defenseman who plays on the PP. Maybe he can be their Forsling.

Needs to get stronger and work on his skating. Not unusual for a taller defenseman that he seems to have some balance issues when changing directions. He has a lot of work to do to be an NHL player and he's likely years away, but tall defensemen that show offensive skill and instincts are rare commodities. I don't know why he lasted until the 7th round.

Just like why Myers went undrafted I guess....people make mistakes.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Myers didn't show much if any offensive upside in his draft year though. Bernhardt did. I'm not saying he should have been a 2nd round pick or anything like that, but even without seeing the player play, just look at his profile. It's not a 7th round profile. His numbers are phenomenal. I think he got hurt by not getting a lot of exposure. He never played above the Swedish Junior League and he never played internationally for Sweden before this week (he got hurt by being a late birthday).

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hockeyprospect.com liked him a lot better than the rest of the industry. They had him #49 in their final rankings while everybody else had him in the 100's or not ranked at all.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Hockeyprospect.com liked him a lot better than the rest of the industry. They had him #49 in their final rankings while everybody else had him in the 100's or not ranked at all.

Yeah, I thought THN had him around 100 too. He looked pretty good in the part of the game vs. US that I saw. Big, mobile as advertised, made a few rushes and aggressive pinches, which got rewarded with more ice time. Would be great if he could make the team, but at least he's set up to be a pairing with Hogberg next year..

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah, I thought THN had him around 100 too. He looked pretty good in the part of the game vs. US that I saw. Big, mobile as advertised, made a few rushes and aggressive pinches, which got rewarded with more ice time. Would be great if he could make the team, but at least he's set up to be a pairing with Hogberg next year..

Bernhardt's a late birthday so this is his last year of eligibility for the WJC's. He won't be eligible for next year as a 1997.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Myers didn't show much if any offensive upside in his draft year though. Bernhardt did. I'm not saying he should have been a 2nd round pick or anything like that, but even without seeing the player play, just look at his profile. It's not a 7th round profile. His numbers are phenomenal. I think he got hurt by not getting a lot of exposure. He never played above the Swedish Junior League and he never played internationally for Sweden before this week (he got hurt by being a late birthday).

Definitely not a 7th round statistical profile. Especially given his size. I was quite surprised when I looked him up after the Flyers selected him. I agree that minimal exposure must be a factor, which is again why I'm a fan of European picks as better values in rounds 4-7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad